Cup Semi Final

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

lefty
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Cup Semi Final

Post by lefty »

Reserves & Challenge Cup Semi Final will be Sunday 18th September & I believe the draw will be done next week with Semi to be played at The Paddocks Bridge Road Para Hills & Final the following week at Hindmarsh.

RESERVES CUP
Para Hills East (Sun Div2)
Brahma Lodge (Sun Div1)
Salisbury Florina (Sun Div1)
Flinders Uni (Sat Div3)

CHALLENGE CUP
Brahma Lodge (Sun Div1)
Old Ignatians (Sat Div2)
Salisbury Inter (Sun Div1)
Parafield Gardens (Sun Div1)

Look forward to going to the Semi Final draw at HQ haven't been in 2 years after going 6 years in a row. A lot of people wrote Parafield off at start of season great to see the boys avoid relegation & go through to semis well deserved & credit to those players that stayed or that returned & the young players that have improved throughout season.

Cant wait to see the match ups & I'm sure Brahma will be hoping to do the double or double/double. No Sat Div1 clubs through but well done to the Sat Div 2 & 3 clubs that have progressed.

Good luck to everyone for the remainder of the season.
Last edited by lefty on Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I eat football, I sleep football, I breathe football. I'm not mad, I'm just passionate....Thierry Henry

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Re: Cup Semi Final

Post by swannsong »

#88 wrote:Did Flinders make the final in the ressies last year?
Decent effort to make the semis after suffering relegation last season.
Flinders Reserves made the Final last year...think they knocked out Brahma at Oakden in the Semis....
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

Always thought the reserves cup could be done a little better in terms of allowing first team players to be stacked into a reserves team just to have a good run.

Something like maximum of three players having played more than 50% of their club's first team games would surely make it a fairer system than a certain Div 3 reserves side having a large majority of their first team squad in a reserves fixture (and barely progressing)

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

English wrote:Always thought the reserves cup could be done a little better in terms of allowing first team players to be stacked into a reserves team just to have a good run.

Something like maximum of three players having played more than 50% of their club's first team games would surely make it a fairer system than a certain Div 3 reserves side having a large majority of their first team squad in a reserves fixture (and barely progressing)
they dont have ability to admin the league properly as is, this would be far too complex. I do think un-used substitutes should not be cup tied though and maybe review those who have to play pre-lim round being cup tied.

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

Gristy wrote:
English wrote:Always thought the reserves cup could be done a little better in terms of allowing first team players to be stacked into a reserves team just to have a good run.

they dont have ability to admin the league properly as is, this would be far too complex. I do think un-used substitutes should not be cup tied though and maybe review those who have to play pre-lim round being cup tied.
Easy for an opposition to request it though, that way you wouldn't have every team to check.

Flinders SC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Flinders SC »

Names or STFU.
FSC

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

Andy1991 wrote:

Names or STFU.
If you can't work out who the Div 3 Reserves team is that's left in the cup, I fear it may be too late for you mate.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Ctrl-Alt-Del »

English wrote:
Andy1991 wrote:

Names or STFU.
If you can't work out who the Div 3 Reserves team is that's left in the cup, I fear it may be too late for you mate.
there's also a Division 2 Reserves side that's a bit suspicious too :lol:
Why is everyone always telling people on computers to hit me ?

Flinders SC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Flinders SC »

English wrote:
Andy1991 wrote:

Names or STFU.
My point is if you want to say something, just say it.

We've got 2 or 3 A's players in our reserve side because they were injured at the start of the season.

We're also in second place in the A's, so "barely progressing" is horse cabernet.
FSC

manny
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by manny »

English wrote:
Andy1991 wrote:
English wrote:
Names or STFU.

We've got 2 or 3 A's players in our reserve side because they were injured at the start of the season.

We're also in second place in the A's, so "barely progressing" is horse cabernet.
He meant barely progressing through the cup...

fowler_23
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by fowler_23 »

Andy1991 wrote:
English wrote:
Andy1991 wrote:
Names or STFU.

not sure bout 2 or 3 but you had 5 in the cup team that played A's in rounds 13, 14 and 15 & 4 from the round 12 squad. I wont bother going back any further because you get the point.
Bill Shankly at Dixie Dean's funeral -
'I know this is a sad occasion, but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd to Goodison than Everton on a Saturday afternoon'

Mahorn
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Mahorn »

Not sure why this gets bought up every year. Let's say they have 4-5 players due to injury, work or any reason playing, what's the problem with that. I know you had 3 regular first team players playing for you/your club on the weekend fowler what does it matter if they got a few also? But to say the div2 side is loaded is a lie, young quality side

fowler_23
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by fowler_23 »

Mahorn wrote:Not sure why this gets bought up every year. Let's say they have 4-5 players due to injury, work or any reason playing, what's the problem with that. I know you had 3 regular first team players playing for you/your club on the weekend fowler what does it matter if they got a few also? But to say the div2 side is loaded is a lie, young quality side
We had 4 actually...

2 signed after the first team were knocked out of the cup in round 1.
1 was unavailable for the first team in the first cup round as we had to play a Saturday night game because of Greek easter and he was working.
and the 4th one was playing reserves at the start of the season as he was coming back to the club after a year off to play ice hockey and has worked his way back into the first team over the past 4-6 weeks.
'I know this is a sad occasion, but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd to Goodison than Everton on a Saturday afternoon'

Mahorn
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Mahorn »

Which was my point. Every team gets lucky so to speak. What was the point you were trying to make by saying they played 5 A's players in rounds 13,14 & 15?

chunky-monkey
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by chunky-monkey »

Am sure most teams wouldn't deliberately stack a reserves side. Like it's been said a couple of teams each season will get lucky where they end up having a few first team players available due to a number of reasons.

fowler_23
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by fowler_23 »

Mahorn wrote:Which was my point. Every team gets lucky so to speak. What was the point you were trying to make by saying they played 5 A's players in rounds 13,14 & 15?
I was merely correcting the person that suggested they only had "2 or 3"

Mahorn
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Mahorn »

fowler_23 wrote:
Mahorn wrote:Which was my point. Every team gets lucky so to speak. What was the point you were trying to make by saying they played 5 A's players in rounds 13,14 & 15?
I was merely correcting the person that suggested they only had "2 or 3"
Gotcha. Well good luck in both the cup and the title race.

billby
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by billby »

The information provided in Lefty's post is unfortunately incorrect as to the location of this years SAASL "Semi Finals" on the 18th September.

Thwy will be as advised to the clubs some time back be held at "Para Hills Knights" ground at 'the Paddocks', Bridge Road Para Hills.

The Finals will again be played at "Hindmarsh Stadium"

More information will be on the League Website ins a fewdays.

lackofpace
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by lackofpace »

Is the pitch at Para Hills where the final was played last year? That looked like a sandpit.

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

fowler_23 wrote:
Mahorn wrote:Not sure why this gets bought up every year. Let's say they have 4-5 players due to injury, work or any reason playing, what's the problem with that. I know you had 3 regular first team players playing for you/your club on the weekend fowler what does it matter if they got a few also? But to say the div2 side is loaded is a lie, young quality side
We had 4 actually...

1 was unavailable for the first team in the first cup round as we had to play a Saturday night game because of Greek easter and he was working.
and the 4th one was playing reserves at the start of the season as he was coming back to the club after a year off to play ice hockey and has worked his way back into the first team over the past 4-6 weeks.
Just out of interest, was that the same as last year for the team that seems to have repeated their run?

Personally I don't care and good luck to you all but you can't only answer half the question.

fowler_23
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by fowler_23 »

Old Redback wrote:
fowler_23 wrote:
We had 4 actually...

Just out of interest, was that the same as last year for the team that seems to have repeated their run?

Personally I don't care and good luck to you all but you can't only answer half the question.
Which part of the question haven't I answered? im confused...

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

why do they use ffsa grounds for the semi finals?

coudlnt they use a club with decent facilities i.e. ingle farm/parafield gardens who both have new club rooms, so that it benefits the clubs in the assoc, rather than others?

Or do saasl run the gate/canteen and pocket the profit?

lackofpace
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by lackofpace »

I think the difference in standard between divisions in the reserves is less than in first team. Flinders have a strong reserves, always challenging for the title in whatever league they play in.

Instead of moaning about reserves someone should give kudos to Iggies first team as making the semis (and maybe beyond) in the 1st team cup from sat div 2 is a pretty solid effort.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Gristy wrote:why do they use ffsa grounds for the semi finals?

coudlnt they use a club with decent facilities i.e. ingle farm/parafield gardens who both have new club rooms, so that it benefits the clubs in the assoc, rather than others?

Best 'us vs them' post ever
Time for some righteous indignation

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

Stitch This wrote:
Gristy wrote:why do they use ffsa grounds for the semi finals?

Best 'us vs them' post ever
raiders is another ground they could use, im sure its no worse than knights and not far from it, with proceeds going to their ameteur club

redfred
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by redfred »

is their a decision maker related to someone heavily connected with an FFSA club where finals held? just putting it out there :wink: $
"The trouble with referees , they know the rules , but they don't know the game." Bill Shankly

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

going to be a long day at Para Hills as there are junior games on the main pitch til 1:30pm on September 18th

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

bloodypassit wrote:going to be a long day at Para Hills as there are junior games on the main pitch til 1:30pm on September 18th
So four games being played from 1:30pm till about 9:30pm, and thats with none going to extra time/pens? Surely not.

Der kaiser
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Der kaiser »

And juniors on in the morning...

Does anyone know what the current condition of the pitch is?

PDog
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PDog »

wasn't too bad overall last weekend. the goal mouth and 18 yard box was a little scrappy up the northern/clubhouse end - but not too bad.