How to improve the SAASL in 2017 and beyond

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

LRO
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: How to improve the SAASL in 2017 and beyond

Post by LRO »

FoundIt wrote:
LRO wrote:
THE ORAKLE wrote:perhaps if refs were given a bit more respect that might ease the shortfall the league has over numbers. everyone makes mistakes and people should understand. I do know as an explayer and coach this can be difficult at times BUT. if the league has to have any chance of attracting young officials to the game this must be seriously looked at. :roll:
I don't disagree BUT again its a 2 way street if you get paid you must be a certain standard. Some Referee's are not.
so if they are not to a certain standard that you believe they should be, abuse is justified?

that is the whole reason there are a lack of refs.
You could run the referee's after reading this comment. No thats not what Im saying Is if they are not fit, cant keep up with play, have poor eyesight or are just incompetent I don't think they should be abused, they should not be refereeing.

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

look,not everyone has the right aptitude to be an official or a coach. the problem is that no one knows this until they've tried it. good players don't always make good coaches or refs. they are a special breed and people have to respect this. I freely admit I didn't as a player but I soon changed my ways and attitude when I became a coach. im sure I would've been a better player if I had wised up earlier. the game is nothing without decent officials and all of us who love the game need to understand this. :roll:

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

I hope I haven't killed this thread. I think its important we have more discussion on this subject. more opinions from more people for the good of the game. :|

Flinders SC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Flinders SC »

THE ORAKLE wrote:I hope I haven't killed this thread. I think its important we have more discussion on this subject. more opinions from more people for the good of the game. :|
Make sure every side has a reserve side & manage club requests. Burundi & MU Stars had only one team in Div 4, and placing Budapest in Div 3 was a farce. Resulted in the 4Bs season being only 12 games, with Div 3 playing 14. Not good enough when SAASL still charges full whack for fees.
FSC

Sean's
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Sean's »

Totally agree should of seen the look on our players faces when I had to tell them their season consisted of only 12 games. Then we had a forfeit as well meaning we ended up playing 11 plus one cup match.
2011 - Saturday Division 4 Champions
2010 - Port Elliot Pre-season cup winners

Flinders SC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Flinders SC »

Sean's wrote:Totally agree should of seen the look on our players faces when I had to tell them their season consisted of only 12 games. Then we had a forfeit as well meaning we ended up playing 11 plus one cup match.
Which is exactly why the previously mentioned idea of 3 A+B divisions of 12 teams needs to be seriously considered. There's not enough teams currently for 4 leagues of this type, let alone anyone moving/leaving/folding between now and next season.
FSC

Vuvuzela Heaven
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Vuvuzela Heaven »

Sean's wrote:Totally agree should of seen the look on our players faces when I had to tell them their season consisted of only 12 games. Then we had a forfeit as well meaning we ended up playing 11 plus one cup match.
Now you have come out of your hiatus are you going to back up your racism claims?
There's a buzz in the stadium

bench-warmer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bench-warmer »

LRO wrote:
You could run the referee's after reading this comment. No thats not what Im saying Is if they are not fit, cant keep up with play, have poor eyesight or are just incompetent I don't think they should be abused, they should not be refereeing.
Could be said about a lot of the players in our leagues.
Because everyone needs one.

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

Andy1991 wrote:
Which is exactly why the previously mentioned idea of 3 A+B divisions of 12 teams needs to be seriously considered. There's not enough teams currently for 4 leagues of this type, let alone anyone moving/leaving/folding between now and next season.
I don't think the league would change Division 1 and 2 to be 12 team leagues without giving at least a seasons notice to appease the lower divisions (which are still important, mind you).

A more realistic approach would be to have 3 A+B Divisions of 10 teams, 2 C team leagues (currently Division 5 and Division 6) and 2-3 single team divisions (perhaps with different kickoff times scheduled)

Clubs that aren't in the top 30 that have 2 teams could field one in each division with 3pm and 1pm kickoffs to ensure they have two teams at home on the same week. It would likely mean playing away games at different locations, but that would be the tradeoff to playing an 18 game season instead of 12.

The system that occurred this year was not ideal, but if the clubs which exist in those two-team divisions do not have a reserves side, there won't be any change.

absolutely appalled
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by absolutely appalled »

- hire more people - to be able to police all the nonsense that goes on in a timely manor
- penalize clubs/players who do the wrong thing, not just a slap on the wrist
- focus energy on running a proper soccer/ football competition - not on how much money is in the bank , if it means the powers that be think they will need more money to achieve this ( $1.5mill is apparently not enough to hire more people)raise the fees! this in turn might also get rid of the trouble maker teams if its less affordable/ stricter provisions to enter league!

I do wonder what amount of money in the bank would make the saasl finally start running a proper/ safe competition?

Robbo
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Robbo »

hire more people ???? who do you want to hire - the police ? security guard on a Saturday / Sunday at $40 per hour ??? Honestly !!!

Making clubs more accountable is the answer !!

Point deductions
Fines
Club suspensions
Make these new clubs that set up pay a bond to join

Hiring more people - what a joke !!! Clubs already have ground marshalls - if they don't do the job properly, fine the club, suspend the club, sooner or later these clubs will get weeded out

spooky1972
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by spooky1972 »

all new clubs should be on immediate probation, any issue or incident and they are out. The new clubs should also be paid in full before round one for ALL bills and should have to pay a bond that is returned after the probation or lost to the SAASL if they are found in disrepute for any incidents. In fact maybe all clubs should be required to do that from all divisions, maybe clubs can tack that onto the player fees and explain the ball is in your court, no issues all players get back their money, one guy stuffs it and they all lose. my point is if something goes down team mates are usually the first to react so if they stay together in those cases maybe they can stay together to not react.

absolutely appalled
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by absolutely appalled »

Robbo wrote:hire more people ???? who do you want to hire - the police ? security guard on a Saturday / Sunday at $40 per hour ??? Honestly !!!

Making clubs more accountable is the answer !!

Point deductions
Fines
Club suspensions
Make these new clubs that set up pay a bond to join

Hiring more people - what a joke !!! Clubs already have ground marshalls - if they don't do the job properly, fine the club, suspend the club, sooner or later these clubs will get weeded out
More staff at SAASL HQ for one. Trying to get anything done in a timely manor never happens.
Hire more referee inspectors/ random neutral viewers because trying to make clubs more accountable doesn't happen at the lower levels because its usually one teams word against the other and a referee too scared to give an account fearing retaliation. They will not get weeded out , they will just come back under a new name 2 years later!!!!
So yes Robbo if it means some teams/ SAASL forking out some of there vast $$$$$$$ for security guards and what not to keep the referees safe/ have a safe competition then yes they should do it. For too long they turn a blind eye to the shocking behavior that goes on. Taking fees/ new teams with one hand but on the other hand not doing anything to stamp out the nonsense that goes on.

Gabon
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Gabon »

This isn’t a dig and just suggestions as the league is very well run in my opinion but there’s always room for improvement:

Support local match reports from Craig Laird by placing on the website
Suspensions to be 1 week after the 4th yellow card offence (not 2 weeks as it is currently)
Clear disciplinary rules and code of conduct enforced with a committee set up to act on reports within a timely manner
Working with the referees association in understanding their issues and ours and having clear communication both ways. Starting at Division 1 level first and working down to set a standard for discipline to ensure we get referees wanting to officiate in the SAASL
Website to be used to its full capacity (I think only West Beach in our league did this with even yellow cards submitted) with results, goal scorers and tables updated within 24-48 hours of games played
Reinvigoration of the Champions of Champions and/or an SAASL representative team with games organised either regionally or interstate against other regions/states
Review of the SAASL presentation night with all clubs to attend (table of 10 say between 1-2 clubs) with a night/dinner held rather than the current format of 1-2 hours (doesn’t have to be formal but could be in between what the FFSA and SAASL do)
12 team leagues for the teams with both reserves and first teams (i.e. .first 3 divisions on Sunday)

Gabon
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Gabon »

Last edited by Gabon on Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sawajiri Erika
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Sawajiri Erika »

Isn't the two weeks in place to allow for an appeal?

Gabon
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Gabon »

Sawajiri Erika wrote:Isn't the two weeks in place to allow for an appeal?
There in no appeals process any more.

The two weeks is as the website is not being used to its full functionality and the league only gets the match sheets in on Wednesday and doesn't have the time to process and notify the club by the following week.

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

Gabon wrote:

The two weeks is as the website is not being used to its full functionality and the league only gets the match sheets in on Wednesday and doesn't have the time to process and notify the club by the following week.
this also just read + ignore disputes if they are too hard, never had a outcome from a round 3 game when another club played an ineligible player.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

I thought 4 bookings was only 1 week.

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

God is an Englishman wrote:I thought 4 bookings was only 1 week.
its one game, they are talking about the admin lag time.

they mean player gets 4th booking in Game 4 or a red card in Game 4, his suspension is Game 6. have seen a post in the past from a club who did not allow player to play game 5, thought they were doing the right thing and he was actually eligible

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Gristy wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:I thought 4 bookings was only 1 week.
its one game, they are talking about the admin lag time.

they mean player gets 4th booking in Game 4 or a red card in Game 4, his suspension is Game 6. have seen a post in the past from a club who did not allow player to play game 5, thought they were doing the right thing and he was actually eligible
It will mean some players who had 4 bookings by Round 16-17 may miss Round 1 'next' season :? rather than the last game of the season....unless their club was involved in the Cup Semi Final or Final .
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Gristy wrote:
Gabon wrote:

this also just read + ignore disputes if they are too hard, never had a outcome from a round 3 game when another club played an ineligible player.
Had that this year. Wrong result was put in by the away team - result was disputed - NOTHING.

Robbo
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Robbo »

SOUTH AUSTRALIAN AMATEUR SOCCER LEAGUE Inc.
Grange Reserve, Corner Military Road & Trimmer Parade, GRANGE, S.A. 5022

11TH November 2016

As previously advised and to re enforce the message again all clubs have a responsibility in regards to the SAASL Competition Rules and Regulations and Code of Conduct.

The League will continue to enforce the rules encompassing our competition.

Results of two (2) most recent finding:
1. Macedonia Vs Modbury Vista 4/9/2016
. Result of game stands
. Player Martin Joseph (Macedonia) suspended for 2 years
. Club Macedonia find $500 for bringing the game into dispute
. Good behaviour bond for 2017, in the event that they breach the good behaviour bond 3 premiership points to be deducted as the penalty

2. Macedonia Vs Para Hills East 11/9/2016
. Result of the game stands
. Player Cjomahds Xhoel (Macedonia) suspended for 4 years

Alex Cichanowski
GENERAL SECRETARY

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

nice they did something with this one team, shame they appear to have done nothing about many more.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Gristy wrote:nice they did something with this one team, shame they appear to have done nothing about many more.
Each journey begins with the first step !
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

Well done by the SAASL to release information on serious misconduct committed by players and clubs

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

anyone got the date of the AGM?

Srbin
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Srbin »

A disgraceful fall from grace from a once proud club which represented its community with pride.

magic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by magic »

A disgraceful fall from grace.
In the late 90s thier blueprint for success became the benchmark
for the rest of the amatuer league.
Thier recent disgraceful actions has only brought embarrassment to the once proud Macedonian community.
Time for a re-think and get back to playing with pride guys.

POLONIAROCS
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by POLONIAROCS »

Mr Cichanowski should also be passing this info onto the FFSA.

I know they don't work together at the moment but these suspended players can easily kit up for an FFSA club.

FFSA should be doing the same. I recall not so long ago FFSA banning a player for a number of years but then this player just joined SAASL and played on.

Both organisations might have their differences but they must be united on suspensions.