Paying players

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Nobby Stiles
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Paying players

Post by Nobby Stiles »

Not interested in the names of clubs, but just wondered if anyone knows how many clubs in Div 1 and 2 Saturday pay their players?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: Paying players

Post by God is an Englishman »

Nobby Stiles wrote:Not interested in the names of clubs, but just wondered if anyone knows how many clubs in Div 1 and 2 Saturday pay their players?
Here is my guess - Sunday - all of them. Saturday, not many of them.

Whites
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Whites »

Div 1 Saturday 4-5..

moonshine3
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by moonshine3 »

GET OVER IT ! ITS THE WAY OF WORLD.

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

Started by two clubs in the late 70s & now totally out of hand. It's bred a load of mercenaries who go to the club who pay the most. Cheque book champions.

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

Very cynical!
Whilst there is no doubt there may be a small element that hunt the cash that is the same in life also. Many amateur clubs, like Fed clubs I would guess, want to attract players and coaches for other things off the park. Like any employer cash and money may attract people but culture is what keeps them. Those that embrace the culture tend to stay and it becomes less about the money and they stay and become more deeply entrenched in the fabric of the club. I have seen first hand players come to a club, embrace the culture and become coaches of junior sides giving back to the club more than they ever took.

bert
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bert »

Load of mercenaries I wouldn't of thought, there may be a few players that chase the coin but I have always said you play where your HAPPY.
For Clubs that can afford to pay the lads for there time then good luck to them, as long as it's not a stupid amount then all I can see is that the committee is doing there job. A happy workplace always goes well.
I coach at a club where we can't afford it yes I have some good players and I would like to reward them but when you don't have the coffers to do it it just takes more man management. To have the dollars to get some players that would get more players to push my squad would be fantastic so bring on paying players.
played4ever

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Nobby Stiles wrote:Not interested in the names of clubs, but just wondered if anyone knows how many clubs in Div 1 and 2 Saturday pay their players?
Here is my guess - Sunday - all of them. Saturday, not many of them.
What he said.

I do know of one Saturday player that used to get some 'encouragement' to get him out on the pitch :P
Time for some righteous indignation

Nagasaki
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Nagasaki »

:lol: I remember that.

Nobby Stiles
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Nobby Stiles »

Thanks for the replies. I'm not judging but as a coach just interested to know. Fairly obvious which teams we played in div 1 were the ones paying. I also know of one team promoted to a lower league that are paying.

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

and here is silly me thinking isn't that what the fed league was for. :roll:

AL K HOLIC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by AL K HOLIC »

Define paying......

Club fees covered?
Dinner and or drink vouchers?
Fuel?
Playing gear?
Event tickets?

Cold hard cash which could be used to do all of the above.
90% (if not higher) of clubs probably have at least one player who has been assisted in some way right down to the lowest leagues.

Nobby Stiles
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Nobby Stiles »

Paying cash. None of the things you list.

AL K HOLIC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by AL K HOLIC »

Nobby Stiles wrote:Paying cash. None of the things you list.
I don't see the issue, some clubs pay coaches to do a job, club refs and SAASL refs to do a job, some will even pay club lines people to do a job, BBQ cookers, canteen managers etc etc all get paid at some clubs to do a job, so why is it wrong to pay a player to do a job.

It makes no difference if that payment is a few drinks cold hard cash or club fees, they are still being paid. The question and problem a club needs to find is how do we get that payment back from the player/s in profits over the season.

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

I would define paying players as giving a player a specified amount of money for their on-field contribution, in terms of a yearly or weekly wage (cash).

Some players may assist the club by performing paid roles (such as refereeing or coaching) and earn money from that, but in my eyes that wouldn't be "Paying players" as the discussion normally revolves around.

If a low income player cannot pay their entire fees, and they are granted this due to their circumstances, that's another matter.

Clubs are free to pay players, as there are no rules against it, but many view it as an unfair playing field in an amateur competition. The reality is that you will never be able to prevent it. If a club can fund raise enough to cover $x worth of player wages, they will (and are within their rights to) do so

jim.mcguinness
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jim.mcguinness »

would never happen in the premier league !!, paying players , who ever heard of such a thing ?
Good luck to the clubs that can afford to do it , you see some cracker games out there with the quality players on show , plenty divisions in the amateur leagues to play social football if you like , to each their own ,
Played against the best in Division 1 Sunday for a couple of seasons recently ,now relegated to division2 , great competition in Div 2 but always nice to test your mettle against the best going around ,

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

So given everyone is ok with paying players (which would probably be against the rules of the amateur league), why does everyone get so outraged about people being dual registered then?
It's all in the Delivery!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Brian the Postman wrote:So given everyone is ok with paying players (which would probably be against the rules of the amateur league), why does everyone get so outraged about people being dual registered then?
As far as I am aware, payments of up to $100 per gamer are allowed under SAASL rules. Payments above that are allowed as long as expenses can be justified.

htfac
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by htfac »

Matter of business really. Treat Football as a form of entertainment then its no different than getting a band in to play at a club function. Spend $500 to get a 1/2 decent band to play before say 100 people in your club. Spend say $1000 on players and there's the potential to get 200 or more to watch a game. If you get 200 or more at a game it lifts your clubs profile and improves your chances of getting decent sponsors and good support from your local council. Match this with the low cost of the SAASL. For some clubs its good business practice.

You Too
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by You Too »

Doesnt happen. Losers looking for excuses just about sums up this age old chestnut.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

You Too wrote:Doesnt happen. Losers looking for excuses just about sums up this age old chestnut.
Well that puts that urban myth to bed ! :D
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

swannsong wrote:
You Too wrote:Doesnt happen. Losers looking for excuses just about sums up this age old chestnut.
Glad that could be cleared up so quick, why did you wait so long to let us all know?
HA'WAY THE LADS

Miyazaki
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Miyazaki »

Outlaw 2.0 wrote:
swannsong wrote:
Glad that could be cleared up so quick, why did you wait so long to let us all know?
Because he was never a sweeper