Referees

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

WAWAW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Referees

Post by WAWAW »

This might be a sore topic but after witnessing the worst referee I have ever seen today I thought I would mention it.

For starters he must of been nearly 70 years old, he walked the whole game and that wasn't that quick. He made decisions that baffled both sides, mainly due to the fact that he just blew the whistle and didn't verbalise what decision he had made. He gave some yellow cards for tackles and then didn't give yellow cards for fouls.
The opposition made a substitution in the second half and he didn't even know. He then came and asked me if I had just made a sub?
Absolutely clueless..... and to top it all of we had a player red carded in injury time at the end.
He spoilt the game and didn't control it from the start.
In conversation with the opposite coach he agreed he was poor and that some new referees need to be found. How can these refs even get paid?

I dont envy refs at all but something needs to improve with the quality of refs otherwise it just spoils the game.
#mylipsaresealed

Reluctant Stereotype
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: Referees

Post by Reluctant Stereotype »

So you'll be putting your hand up to do it next year?

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

Reluctant Stereotype wrote:So you'll be putting your hand up to do it next year?
Why wait till next year? Get him out there on a Sunday.

We had a serial offender today, no doubt we've all had him before. It's just the consistency that irks me. Guy running through on goal is brought down (looked to be in the box), gives a free kick and no card. By the letter of the law is it not a red card for last man? Then he dishes out cards for dissent, but let's tackles from both sides that were clearly targeted at their opponent go unpunished.

But until we get more referees, and give them better training, it's not going to get better. I'll be the first to put my hand up and say I give them a mouthful at times, but I know I shouldn't because they are doing one of the worst jobs in football, and without them we wouldn't be playing at all.

Reluctant Stereotype
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Reluctant Stereotype »

English wrote:By the letter of the law is it not a red card for last man?
No it isn't.

Mahorn
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Mahorn »

Does it matter if you had a player sent off in injury time? If it was worthy of a card yellow or red what does time have to do with it? Don't break the rules you won't get sent off

Nobby Stiles
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Nobby Stiles »

Just to add a bit of balance, the two refs we have had for our last two games have been outstanding. Kept up with the game, made largely the right decisions, explained their decisions and treated the players like adults.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Nobby Stiles wrote:Just to add a bit of balance, the two refs we have had for our last two games have been outstanding. Kept up with the game, made largely the right decisions, explained their decisions and treated the players like adults.
Ditto for Knights...the home referee for the Reserves v Vista was quite unremarkable....
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

OMG
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by OMG »

We had the BIG referee that everyone loves and was told that in a preseason game he was so away in his own world that a player running to close down a forward was actually taken out by this referee with a head clash where the BIG man ended up on his back and the player ended up off the field with a broken cheekbone and not playing for up to 10 weeks!!!

Then again considering what else the BIG man has done to us all at some time it really is not unusual but WTF :shock:

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

not long after I started coaching I was tought a sharp lesson from a top ref who is now an inspector. he sat me down on a deserted bench at para hills after everyone else had gone and explained to me the error of my ways. he said he was taking the trouble because he thought I wasn't a bad player but could be a better coach if I stopped abusing officials./ he sent me off twice for mouthing/as a player. anyway I took in the words of wisdom which stood me in good stead and I will always be gratefull to him. I remember well his last words as we walked towards the clubhouse. he said there will be times you will feel the need to be critical of a ref,so do it quietly after the game,and only when you have won. :)

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

swannsong wrote:
Nobby Stiles wrote:Just to add a bit of balance, the two refs we have had for our last two games have been outstanding. Kept up with the game, made largely the right decisions, explained their decisions and treated the players like adults.
Ditto for Knights...the home referee for the Reserves v Vista was quite unremarkable....
If it was the bloke with the moustache I've known him for nearly 20 years through my Dad's football, but yeah the less I say about his refereeing the better!

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

Reluctant Stereotype wrote:
No it isn't.
My understanding of the new laws (which I thought we'd moved over to this season) is last man tackle in the box, that denies a goal scoring opportunity is now a penalty and a yellow (unless violent conduct), anything outside the box that is last man and denying a goal scoring opportunity is still a red card.

Is that not the case? The player was clearly through on goal, and was inside the box when he was taken out from behind. The referee chose the 'soft option' and gave a free kick a mm outside the box, didn't even book the player. The nearest opposition defender was about 25 yards from goal, and was never catching either of them.

Asahara Shōkō
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Asahara Shōkō »

Laws don't say anything about a last man.
Apparently Knight15 finds me attractive

Kim Kallstrom
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Kim Kallstrom »

Reluctant Stereotype wrote:
the hypocrisy of complaining about a decision when you don't even understand the rules :roll:

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

https://www.fifa.com/mm/document/footba ... eutral.pdf

Denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own
penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity
and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned unless:

• The offence is holding, pulling or pushing or
• The offending player does not attempt to play the ball or there is no
possibility for the player making the challenge to play the ball or
• The offence is one which is punishable by a red card wherever it occurs on
the field of play (e.g. serious foul play, violent conduct etc.)

In all the above circumstances the player is sent off.

The following must be considered:
• distance between the offence and the goal
• general direction of the play
• likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
• location and number of defenders

Sending-off offences

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following
offences is sent off:

• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by
deliberately handling the ball (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)
• denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving
towards the opponents’ goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless
as outlined below)

• serious foul play
• spitting at an opponent or any other person
• violent conduct
• using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
• receiving a second caution in the same match

No doubt some of you have read the PDF cover to cover, but I've just taken out a snippet which I was questioning originally. The player was through on goal, was actually inside the box when he was brought down by the last defender. The referee gave a free kick, and by the letter of the law should have been sent off. Instead he wasn't even cautioned, and the team gained no advantage from him being brought down when through on goal.

Asahara Shōkō
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Asahara Shōkō »

Highlight where it says "last man".
Apparently Knight15 finds me attractive

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

The League Management have called all Clubs to attend a meeting set down:

Date: Wednesday 10th May 2017
Where: League Headquarters GRANGE
TIME: 7.00 PM

THE MAIN PURPOSE OF THE MEETING IS TO BOTH UPDATE AND DISCUSS REFEREE NUMBERS

IT IS IMPORTANT CLUBS ARE REPRESENTED.

pottermus
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by pottermus »

People continually complain about referees and sure there are some shockers around. Buy whilst we allow spectators, coaches & players to yell at and abuse young up and coming referees where do you think the replacements are going to come from.

Because sure as hell very very few ex players will take up refereeing as they know damn well the stick they will take from all & sundry.

Animosity
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Animosity »

pottermus wrote:People continually complain about referees and sure there are some shockers around. Buy whilst we allow spectators, coaches & players to yell at and abuse young up and coming referees where do you think the replacements are going to come from.

Because sure as hell very very few ex players will take up refereeing as they know damn well the stick they will take from all & sundry.
+1

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

pottermus wrote:People continually complain about referees and sure there are some shockers around. Buy whilst we allow spectators, coaches & players to yell at and abuse young up and coming referees where do you think the replacements are going to come from.

Spot on, I think clubs need to do more to police that within their own supporters.

I also think the ability for the two coaches to fill out a feedback form for referees each week could go along way to identifying where a referee's strengths and weaknesses are. That way if a referee has 5 games where the coaches have identified his positioning being an issue, then it's something the league (referee's body) can then work on.

But again until we start sorting out the way players, coaches and supporters abuse the man/woman in the middle, then numbers will continue to dwindle until we have no games, or god forbid, Ghan reserves coach is refereeing two of their games a week.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

I unfortunately ( for the teams and myself) had to referee a reserves game once again last weekend....from now on if I have to referee I think I will tell and criticise every player when they make the wrong pass, get caught with the ball, are caught offside, tackle poorly, get caught out of position, make a poor decision, miss a goal etc.etc.....I will let them know.....because from the word go all I heard was criticism, sarcasm, whining....I tried to let the game flow, didn't give decision I couldn't see....gave disputable calls (or where the linesman or myself didn't have a clear view) in favour of the defending side,,
I have previously refereed for 4-5 seasons in the SAASL but it is difficult to focus when you are a Club referee...your own Club players complain due to familiarity and the opposition seems to think you have a bias against them....most often the bias is the other way round out of caution.
Basically our attitudes toward officials is strangling our own game...I'm beginning to agree that we need to up referees fees dramatically to attract experienced-retired players to pick up the whistle....while at the same time insist Clubs clamp down on abusive-negative barracking of officials.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

I agree, if more clubs took responsibility for the actions of their coaches and players , and not leave it all up to the Referees to apply discipline in areas where it should be coming from within the club itself.

Rexie
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Rexie »

Referee we had on Saturday did an outstanding job I thoght. Made some mistakes but copped them on the chin- and it went both ways
He introduced himself before the cane- was clear if expectations of the clubs and players.
Handled it well when he got spat on after giving a red card for a head but and even hung around after the game when things got heated between the players and some supporters.
I've not had him before but I would gladly have him again.
I think my drinking club has a soccer problem.....

http://www.edsc.com.au

churchill
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by churchill »

Rexie wrote:Referee we had on Saturday did an outstanding job I thoght. Made some mistakes but copped them on the chin- and it went both ways
He introduced himself before the cane- was clear if expectations of the clubs and players.
Handled it well when he got spat on after giving a red card for a head but and even hung around after the game when things got heated between the players and some supporters.
I've not had him before but I would gladly have him again.
Clearly that player deserved more than the cane for that disgraceful act against the referee !

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

we do need to get more young refs into the leagues. but this is made difficult with the abuse they will get cos young blokes wont take it and rightly so. coaches can caution their players that they will not stand for it which would help. Donald Campbell said in his book that you have to close your ears to the crowd and concentrate on the job in hand. very wise words from one of the best refs Australia has ever had.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Rexie wrote: Handled it well when he got spat on after giving a red card for a head but
If this bloke doesn't get banned for life then you will have your answer as to why we are struggling for refs.

Rexie
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Rexie »

Won't happen. I'm not sure if the ref will actually put in an official report. Will prob just get 2 week and then play under someone elses name for those weeks
I think my drinking club has a soccer problem.....

http://www.edsc.com.au

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Rexie wrote: Handled it well when he got spat on after giving a red card for a head but
If this bloke doesn't get banned for life then you will have your answer as to why we are struggling for refs.
spot on giae agree 100%. I wouldent piss on spitters even if they were on fire. :x

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Rexie wrote:Won't happen. I'm not sure if the ref will actually put in an official report. Will prob just get 2 week and then play under someone elses name for those weeks
If he doesn't put it in then he's putting other refs in danger. I can understand some refs not putting reds through for minor things where they deem the punishment is enough that his team played without him but violent conduct and then spitting on a ref needs to be reported.

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Rexie wrote:Won't happen. I'm not sure if the ref will actually put in an official report. Will prob just get 2 week and then play under someone elses name for those weeks
If he doesn't put it in then he's putting other refs in danger. I can understand some refs not putting reds through for minor things where they deem the punishment is enough that his team played without him but violent conduct and then spitting on a ref needs to be reported.
happened in the CSL, the guy got whatever length ban it was, played under assumed name, club was kicked out and banned from ffsa for 3 years. need someone on DC who has some balls at SAASL.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

#88 wrote:Stuck around for his safety I bet!
The report needs to happen as a huge punishment should be on the back of that low act.
What team was it, spitbulls...
A little bit of investigation and you can make a good guess as to what team it was. If I'm right, I've met the president (I think that was his role) of that club and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be brushing it under the carpet and the person will be very much punished internally.