SAASL Affiliation to the FFA/FFSA

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: SAASL Affiliation to the FFA/FFSA

Post by God is an Englishman »

redwin wrote:You will now be forced to wear shin pads at training. FFSA rules.

:lol:

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

From what I have heard there aren't any really compelling reasons to join the FFSA (albeit as an affiliate during a trial period).

If not a lot is going to change what is the point of potentially paying an extra $30 per player to join?
It's all in the Delivery!

grumbly
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by grumbly »

Current insurance is a joke, wouldn't be hard to improve on it.

Ice Adonis
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Ice Adonis »

redwin wrote:You will now be forced to wear shin pads at training. FFSA rules.
I always wore shin pads at training.
Also known as Yellow Boots

pecker
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by pecker »

Before last nights meeting I was all for the SAASL joining the FFSA, but I don't think it wasn't really sold to us all that well last night.

*Insurance stays the same
*Disciplinary stays the same
*No access to FFSA administration staff
*Registration stays the same, but databases will be linked
*No SAASL presence on the FFSA board
*SAASL paying $17500 per year affiliation fee to the FFSA for 3 years, what happens in the 4th year?
*SAASL subsidising NRF fee over 3 years and in the 4th year, who knows?
*EDJSA not joining
*SAASL constitution stays the same
*SAASL committee stated that it is not a takeover by the FFSA

Positives for the Higher division clubs was being able to compete in the NPL and FFA Cup, also being able to play pre season friendlies.

I believe a representative from the FFSA should have been at the meeting to explain it better and answer some questions from the floor.

I would still like the SAASL to join the FFSA in the near future, but I think the majority vote at the special general meeting in a couple of weeks will be a resounding no, which I think will disappoint a lot of clubs who were hoping for a better deal.

Our committee are meeting tonight to discuss which way we will vote, as we already have 7 teams in the FFSA, I personally cannot see the advantage for us to join, but until we discuss it who knows.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Would a SAASL club with juniors be able to put a team into JPL is SAASL became affiliated?

pecker
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by pecker »

God is an Englishman wrote:Would a SAASL club with juniors be able to put a team into JPL is SAASL became affiliated?
No

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

From the above seems the like same old narrow minded bollocks from ffsa, no reason to vote yes in that case

churchill
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by churchill »

lack of communication and understanding between FFSA and SAASL admin had cost Vista 3 points and relegation - this is a good reason for affiliation to occur forthwith but Adelaide mentality narrow mindness will block any progress to happen of course.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

pecker wrote:Before last nights meeting I was all for the SAASL joining the FFSA, but I don't think it wasn't really sold to us all that well last night.

*SAASL paying $17500 per year affiliation fee to the FFSA for 3 years, what happens in the 4th year?
*EDJSA not joining
This is effectively the same deal as the CSL is it not?

I guess what everyone below D2 on Sat and Sun needs to decide is this:

- are we happy to continually get sub-standard refs / no refs?
- are we happy to continually play clubs that have been kicked out?
- are we happy to have teams pull their ressies out on the eve of the season / forfeit most of their matches?

And those D2 and above need to decide:

- are we happy to pay players to compete in an amateur division (a reality on both Sat and Sun now)?
- are we happy to lose our best juniors to Federation clubs or do we want to provide a pathway?
- do we have enough of a community base to survive rapid expansion of clubs in our area over the next 10 years (a philosophical question and leads to thoughts such as merging, becoming a feeder club for a Fed team, etc)?

The past is littered with great Amateur sides that no longer exist and now is perhaps an inflection point in time for Clubs to think longer-term and make some tough calls.

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

Lucas Leiva wrote:
pecker wrote:Before last nights meeting I was all for the SAASL joining the FFSA, but I don't think it wasn't really sold to us all that well last night.

*EDJSA not joining
This is effectively the same deal as the CSL is it not?

I guess what everyone below D2 on Sat and Sun needs to decide is this:

- are we happy to continually get sub-standard refs / no refs?
- are we happy to continually play clubs that have been kicked out?
- are we happy to have teams pull their ressies out on the eve of the season / forfeit most of their matches?

And those D2 and above need to decide:

- are we happy to pay players to compete in an amateur division (a reality on both Sat and Sun now)?
- are we happy to lose our best juniors to Federation clubs or do we want to provide a pathway?
- do we have enough of a community base to survive rapid expansion of clubs in our area over the next 10 years (a philosophical question and leads to thoughts such as merging, becoming a feeder club for a Fed team, etc)?

The past is littered with great Amateur sides that no longer exist and now is perhaps an inflection point in time for Clubs to think longer-term and make some tough calls.
I don't think the affiliation addresses any of the points you have raised.

- refs, from what I have been told there won't be any change to the referee structure should an affiliation to occur.
- regarding paying players to compete in an amateur division, it's an affiliation not a change to the structure. clubs will still be choosing to pay players or not to in an amateur competition. The only difference may be a one-off knock out competition (FFA Cup prelim rounds).
- Losing juniors, juniors are fairly transient and affiliation won't stop kids/parents moving.

I think the sticking point in all of this is that after year three amateur clubs would be paying roughly $30 per player (assuming full cost burden for affiliation and national registration is passed on) for a competition that is largely the same as what we have now. There won't be access to more administrative resources, there won't be an increase in the referee resources (as a direct result of affiliation), there won't be an overnight improvement in the governance of clubs.
It's all in the Delivery!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

churchill wrote:lack of communication and understanding between FFSA and SAASL admin had cost Vista 3 points and relegation - this is a good reason for affiliation to occur forthwith but Adelaide mentality narrow mindness will block any progress to happen of course.
If the affiliation goes ahead and as suggested above E&D won't be a part of it. How will that affect juniors at Vista (and a few other clubs as well). Colts would not be able to step up to amateur sides as they would then be dual registered? Did the meeting address that at all?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

churchill wrote:
bigpond wrote:Fulham made the jump over and in 2 seasons are in State League 1 after being promoted today.

Next season we will be playing against the likes of Raiders, Blue Eagles, Cumberland and White City to name a few - who would have thought 2 years ago.

Juniors playing in JPL A divisions.

It is not all negative with FFSA.

By being affliated clubs WILL HAVE THE OPTION how far they want to progress.

If they are happy with what they have then nothing needs to change coming under the FFSA umbrella.

If they have bigger things in mind then they can build.
Modbury Vista should follow suite and drop the amateur team and concentrate on SL 2 to save time, money and other resources
From my understanding, there's a lot of people at Vista who would strongly disagree with you there.

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

God is an Englishman wrote:
churchill wrote:lack of communication and understanding between FFSA and SAASL admin had cost Vista 3 points and relegation - this is a good reason for affiliation to occur forthwith but Adelaide mentality narrow mindness will block any progress to happen of course.
If the affiliation goes ahead and as suggested above E&D won't be a part of it. How will that affect juniors at Vista (and a few other clubs as well). Colts would not be able to step up to amateur sides as they would then be dual registered? Did the meeting address that at all?
that would be a E&D decision i guess not SAASL

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Gristy wrote:
that would be a E&D decision i guess not SAASL
It would be a SAASL decision if they play in SAASL.

Redflag1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Redflag1 »

Didn't SAASL and EDJSA merge?

Surely if SAASL become affiliated so does EDJSA.

churchill
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by churchill »

churchill wrote:
bigpond wrote:Fulham made the jump over and in 2 seasons are in State League 1 after being promoted today.

Next season we will be playing against the likes of Raiders, Blue Eagles, Cumberland and White City to name a few - who would have thought 2 years ago.

Juniors playing in JPL A divisions.

It is not all negative with FFSA.

By being affliated clubs WILL HAVE THE OPTION how far they want to progress.

If they are happy with what they have then nothing needs to change coming under the FFSA umbrella.

If they have bigger things in mind then they can build.
Modbury Vista should follow suite and drop the amateur team and concentrate on SL 2 to save time, money and other resources
From my understanding, there's a lot of people at Vista who would strongly disagree with you there.
It'll be interesting to see how Vista are going to field a senior amateur team for next year as I believe there will be a mass exodus of players leaving the club after this year's fiasco.

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

Redflag1 wrote:Didn't SAASL and EDJSA merge?

Surely if SAASL become affiliated so does EDJSA.
no, seperate just affiliated.

redfred
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by redfred »

Vista have named an amateur coach for next year
"The trouble with referees , they know the rules , but they don't know the game." Bill Shankly

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

redfred wrote:Vista have named an amateur coach for next year
I thought he was quite a professional coach myself :)
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

beancounter
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by beancounter »

Seems the benefits of affiliation is mostly for ffsa under pressure from ffa. It is the database they value and the fees that can be raised from that base. ffsa should be the ones paying saasl an annual fee for access.

Baresi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Baresi »

After getting the details, this has to be the dumbest proposal i have ever seen. There will be what amounts to approximately 50% increase in player registration fees after 3 years and in return you will get what amounts to..... squat! You cant access our referees, administration or tribunal process but we will allow you to have juniors and a Womens team; so that the FFSA make even more money? Woopty poop. Pass.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Baresi wrote:After getting the details, this has to be the dumbest proposal i have ever seen. There will be what amounts to approximately 50% increase in player registration fees after 3 years and in return you will get what amounts to..... squat! You cant access our referees, administration or tribunal process but we will allow you to have juniors and a Womens team; so that the FFSA make even more money? Woopty poop. Pass.
They can already have women's and kids teams anyway.

Baresi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Baresi »

Baresi wrote:After getting the details, this has to be the dumbest proposal i have ever seen. There will be what amounts to approximately 50% increase in player registration fees after 3 years and in return you will get what amounts to..... squat! You cant access our referees, administration or tribunal process but we will allow you to have juniors and a Womens team; so that the FFSA make even more money? Woopty poop. Pass.
They can already have women's and kids teams anyway.
Exactly!

The Eagle
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by The Eagle »

Mr Michael Carter wrote:
legga wrote:So in saying that can someone enlightened me to What benefits do the amateur clubs get by doing this ? Will all leagues and structures be the same ? and finally being under their so called umbrella will they be more harsh on the so called disgrace of teams like the butt fingerers and the coward ref attackers.......
1) Pathway for Juniors
2) Referees
3) One Identity for football in this state
4) Streamlined procedures and processes
5) Entry to the FFA cup
6) Action when required
Minimal benefit for increase cost

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

The Eagle wrote:
Mr Michael Carter wrote:
legga wrote:So in saying that can someone enlightened me to What benefits do the amateur clubs get by doing this ? Will all leagues and structures be the same ? and finally being under their so called umbrella will they be more harsh on the so called disgrace of teams like the butt fingerers and the coward ref attackers.......
1) Pathway for Juniors
2) Referees
5) Entry to the FFA cup
6) Action when required
1) Already exists
2) No changes happening
3) who cares?
4) i thought this wasn't changing either
5) Will affect maybe 2 teams
6) what action?

The Eagle
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by The Eagle »

The Eagle wrote:
Mr Michael Carter wrote:
1) Pathway for Juniors
2) Referees
5) Entry to the FFA cup
6) Action when required
The main question is what is in it for FFA?

and why are they mandating a fee increase, when there is no change to the administration?
Another 80 odd clubs eans more revenue, so why do fees increase,
seems its a selfish benefit from FFSA will little in return to SAASL

POLONIAROCS
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by POLONIAROCS »

So is it safe to say that there will be no changes in 2018 or will something be worked out?

churchill
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by churchill »

POLONIAROCS wrote:So is it safe to say that there will be no changes in 2018 or will something be worked out?
This is Adelaide after all and so here will be no changes the status quo will remain the same as South Australians don't like change

Baresi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Baresi »

churchill wrote:
POLONIAROCS wrote:So is it safe to say that there will be no changes in 2018 or will something be worked out?
This is Adelaide after all and so here will be no changes the status quo will remain the same as South Australians don't like change
It has nothing to do with that. The terms for which the merger is on is laughable. Higher fees for, for, for..... nothing. If the fees were to remain the same sure lets do it. But a 50% increase over 3 years and you are not getting anything in return, what team in which state, country or universe would accept that?