Leckie, Borrello lead the way as Socceroos return to action

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Mathew Leckie and Brandon Borrello are poised to become the first Socceroos to return to European action when the Bundesliga returns this weekend.
Updated 1 hour ago

Leckie's Hertha Berlin are away to Hoffenheim on Saturday while Borrello will be in the mix as SC Freiburg take on RB Leipzig at the same time.
Freiburg are eighth while Hertha are 13th but hold a handy margin on the relegation spots.
Leckie and Borrello will be followed by more than 10 Australians across Europe as the game makes a gradual return during the pandemic.

The Danish Superliga resumes from May 28. Forward Awer Mabil will line up for leaders FC Midtjylland while fringe Socceroos Mustafa Amini and Alex Gersbach play alongside Olyroo Zach Duncan at third-placed AGF Aarhus.
Defender Trent Sainsbury and fringe forward Nikita Rukavytsya will return to action with second-placed Maccabi Haifa when the Israeli Premier League resumes on May 30.
Centre-back Milos Degenek will feature for table-topping Serbian powerhouse Red Star Belgrade on May 30, the first day of the Serbian SuperLiga's resumption.
The Serbian Superliga have another four rounds to play to complete its season.
The Austrian Bundesliga returns on June 2, with teams to play every three days in a bid to finish the season by early July.
Midfielder James Jeggo could feature on the first day for Austria Wien, while James Holland will be at the heart of table-toppers LASK Linz's bid to claim the title.

James Holland's LASK has been accused by rivals of breaking coronavirus rules ?

Out-of-favour striker Tomi Juric's CSKA Sofia return to action in Bulgaria on June 5.
But several Australians will have to bide their time, including Brighton and Hove Albion duo Mat Ryan and Aaron Mooy.
The UK government has given the green light for a June Premier League restart, but fixtures are far from locked in.
Aziz Behich (Istanbul Basaksehir) will have to wait until June 12 for the Turkish Superlig to restart, while striker Apostolos Giannou (AEK Larnaca) does not have a return date, with Cypriot First Division training only due to resume on May 18.
Scotland's lower leagues have been declared on a points-per-game basis and the Scottish Premiership could follow suit, meaning Tom Rogic and Daniel Arzani's Celtic would be crowned champions for the ninth consecutive season.
Source AAP
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Leckie, Borrello lead the way as Socceroos return to action

Post by eagleboy »

It will be good to watch the Bundesliga tonight. Dortmund without a crowd will be strange.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

I was lucky enough to watch the Dortmund match, they were superb and inventive but Schalke were very poor,

Still, it got the blood flowing again, more please! :grin:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Old Master wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:19 pm I was lucky enough to watch the Dortmund match, they were superb and inventive but Schalke were very poor,

Dortmund are an exciting team. Total attack. Players were forgetting social distancing in some games when goals scored. All over each others at times. Erlan Haarlen looks good
Sadly Leckie and Borrilo did not make their respective gameday squads.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

eagleboy wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:00 pm
Old Master wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:19 pm I was lucky enough to watch the Dortmund match, they were superb and inventive but Schalke were very poor,

Dortmund are an exciting team. Total attack. Players were forgetting social distancing in some games when goals scored. All over each others at times. Erlan Haarlen looks good
Sadly Leckie and Borrilo did not make their respective gameday squads.
Yep, Haaland is VERY special.

I watched the Eintracht Frankfurt v Borussia Monchengladbach game live 11pm Sat night (Adelaide time). Borussia scored in the first 15 seconds and never looked back, running out 3-1 winners.

But a strange strange atmosphere with no crowd. Home supporters can definitely lift their team and carry them forward to remarkable turnarounds as has been witnessed down the years. There are plenty of examples of teams overcoming 0-3 away deficits when back on home turf and buoyed by raucous loyal fans.

Although there was good play in this game that I watched with lots of accurate one-touch passing, it was like watching a game played in the paddocks. I don’t know if the money men broadcasters and advertisers will believe they are really getting value and exposure with this product.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

football is back.....
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.