EPL 20/21

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Re: EPL 20/21

Post by theorakle »

N5 1BH wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:01 am
Champions at last wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:58 am You have given up watching EPL as you keep saying, so are you asking for a friend? And how do you know about the Fulham match?
Any write ups I can read on this weekends Fulham match. Cheers in advance
what would this have to do with my previous post. just asking.cheers. :smile:

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

theorakle wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:48 am
theorakle wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:05 am crystal palace v man u im just glad nobody had to pay to watch,hopeless. in ancient rome they would have turned the lions loose. :thumbdown:
then they beat city 2 0 problem is that they all get paid far too much. at one time long past they were hungry to win every game. this applies to all teams nowadays. its a shame. its not the game i grew to love as a kid anymore. :roll:
It’s true, the introduction of the offside rule has changed things somewhat

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

not so, but the shirt pulling,the diving,the passback kings,the sofkok coaches who condone it all. plus fifa who seemingly like it that way seeing as they have done f..k all to try and stop it. its shamefull and ruinous. coaches will stop it only if the sofkoks at fifa force them to do so. i just want to see the game become MANLY again thats the way IT WAS when the POMS gifted the game to the world to stuff up:roll:

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Any referees on here? Can someone please explain to me how Phil Foden didn't get a penalty this morning?

I largely blame IFAB for fiddling with the Laws and FIFA for some ludicrous interpretations of them, but you've got to be honest, the officials are royally fucking things up with VAR. I completely understand how you can make a wrong decision in real time, often with a restricted view, but how the hell can a bloke watching a replay in a TV room come to a decision like that?
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

theorakle wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:18 pm not so, but the shirt pulling,the diving,the passback kings,the sofkok coaches who condone it all. plus fifa who seemingly like it that way seeing as they have done f..k all to try and stop it. its shamefull and ruinous. coaches will stop it only if the sofkoks at fifa force them to do so. i just want to see the game become MANLY again thats the way IT WAS when the POMS gifted the game to the world to stuff up:roll:
Bring back the Wimbledon Crazy Gang tactics that will keep someone happy.

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

ozzie owl wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:58 am
theorakle wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:18 pm not so, but the shirt pulling,the diving,the passback kings,the sofkok coaches who condone it all. plus fifa who seemingly like it that way seeing as they have done f..k all to try and stop it. its shamefull and ruinous. coaches will stop it only if the sofkoks at fifa force them to do so. i just want to see the game become MANLY again thats the way IT WAS when the POMS gifted the game to the world to stuff up:roll:
Bring back the Wimbledon Crazy Gang tactics that will keep someone happy.
was entertaining wasnt it. i wonder if thats why we have seats nowadays,as its hard to go to sleep standing up. :?:

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:34 am Any referees on here? Can someone please explain to me how Phil Foden didn't get a penalty this morning?

I largely blame IFAB for fiddling with the Laws and FIFA for some ludicrous interpretations of them, but you've got to be honest, the officials are royally fucking things up with VAR. I completely understand how you can make a wrong decision in real time, often with a restricted view, but how the hell can a bloke watching a replay in a TV room come to a decision like that?
Just watched the replay obvious penalty any day of the week even without super slow mo.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

ozzie owl wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:22 pm
Nice One Cyril wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:34 am Any referees on here? Can someone please explain to me how Phil Foden didn't get a penalty this morning?

Just watched the replay obvious penalty any day of the week even without super slow mo.
Saw a clip of that last night, an embarrassingly wrong decision. Can’t get my head around it, it’s like the powers that be actually want players to go to ground and play act

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

var is a disaster. ok fifa you tried, well meaning but please admit its a fail and scrap it asap. let the ref do his job to the best of his ability as he always has done. if it aint broke dont fix it. i bet refs hate var as much as i do. :thumbdown:

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

N5 1BH wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:31 am

Saw a clip of that last night, an embarrassingly wrong decision. Can’t get my head around it, it’s like the powers that be actually want players to go to ground and play act
I would love to know how FIFA think VAR has improved the game.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

ozzie owl wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:11 am

It's got people talking about the rules and decisions and kept their minds on the game despite the Chinese Virus, so in that context they would claim it to be a success. :oops: :wave: :wtf:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ozzie owl wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:11 am

IMO there can be only one ref. Give him all the aids, camera angles etc he needs, but it has to be his decision, not prompted by some numpty in Stockley Park. Give each captain x challenges where they can ask him to review the monitor and once they're gone, no more VAR. Then, the guy in the box only needs to be a TV technician, not a ref, so won't influence the decision. There was another one last night in the Spurs game, a clear penalty, reviewed and not given.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

so whats next,maybe a drone with a whistle. :lol:

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Superb first half by Arsenal. Despite Lamela’s never-to-be-repeated fluke, Arsenal hit the woodwork twice and could have been 3-1 up at h.t.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Con M wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:00 am Superb first half by Arsenal. Despite Lamela’s never-to-be-repeated fluke, Arsenal hit the woodwork twice and could have been 3-1 up at h.t.
I thought the Goons deserved the victory, they played better overall, although Spurs were on top after the red card.

Game changed though on the penalty decision, which every footballer knows was simply wrong. Laca got his shot away, Sanchez wasn't even trying to tackle him, just putting his body across the line of the expected shot and, if anything, Laca kicked Sanchez not the other way around. Can't blame Oliver, he only saw it in real time, but VAR must surely correct those or it's not fit for purpose. No complaints about the second yellow for Lamela, you can't go waving your arm around behind you that high, even though Tierney made a meal of a little slap.
Danny Blanchflower

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

Another week goes by & more criticism of the use of VAR - agree with all the above Cyril
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

I haven’t seen any of the game, but going by what NOC said, was it again VAR not being good, or the refs involved including Oliver not using the images shown to change a decision?

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

Did anyone see Tottenham’s Erik Lamela goal from overnight?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Champions at last wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:57 am I haven’t seen any of the game, but going by what NOC said, was it again VAR not being good, or the refs involved including Oliver not using the images shown to change a decision?
VAR has no opinions and makes no judgements, so you have to draw the distinction between the technology and the clowns using it. Even then, just maybe the clowns are at the mercy of the ringmasters who tell them how to perform.

Technology is here to stay and I love the goal line technology, it's instant and the players trust it so there's no arguing and surrounding the ref. The frustrating thing is that VAR was brought in to get the right decisions and it's spectacularly failed because the tech is being used incorrectly, instead of reducing gray areas, it's added to them.

The meaning of 'clear and obvious' is patently open to interpretation so how can it possibly be consistent? At least with offside they draw their silly lines and eventually reach a decision that you can't really argue with, certainly you can't say definitively that it is wrong. Simplify that by only using the feet and decisions will be even more accurate and massively quicker.

IMO there can be only one ref, he makes the final calls and all VAR should be for is to give him extra sets of eyes and different angles. Do away with a ref in the box, a monkey can be taught to draw the simplified offside lines, give each captain one challenge per half where he can ask the ref to go to the monitor and review his decision and If he sticks with his first decision, tough titties, if he changes it you keep your challenge.

The simpler a system is, generally the better it works.
Danny Blanchflower

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Rookie wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:20 am Did anyone see Tottenham’s Erik Lamela goal from overnight?
He scored with a rabona a few years back as well, he's desperately one footed, but it is amazing the power he gets.
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:34 am
Champions at last wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:57 am I haven’t seen any of the game, but going by what NOC said, was it again VAR not being good, or the refs involved including Oliver not using the images shown to change a decision?
VAR has no opinions and makes no judgements, so you have to draw the distinction between the technology and the clowns using it. Even then, just maybe the clowns are at the mercy of the ringmasters who tell them how to perform.

Technology is here to stay and I love the goal line technology, it's instant and the players trust it so there's no arguing and surrounding the ref. The frustrating thing is that VAR was brought in to get the right decisions and it's spectacularly failed because the tech is being used incorrectly, instead of reducing gray areas, it's added to them.

The meaning of 'clear and obvious' is patently open to interpretation so how can it possibly be consistent? At least with offside they draw their silly lines and eventually reach a decision that you can't really argue with, certainly you can't say definitively that it is wrong. Simplify that by only using the feet and decisions will be even more accurate and massively quicker.

IMO there can be only one ref, he makes the final calls and all VAR should be for is to give him extra sets of eyes and different angles. Do away with a ref in the box, a monkey can be taught to draw the simplified offside lines, give each captain one challenge per half where he can ask the ref to go to the monitor and review his decision and If he sticks with his first decision, tough titties, if he changes it you keep your challenge.

I want to get away from the lines. They can just freeze the picture, if the refs at Stockley see a clear mistake they change the decision. It wont be perfect but better than what we have now and the mm decisions will be taken away.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Champions at last wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:38 am

I want to get away from the lines. They can just freeze the picture, if the refs at Stockley see a clear mistake they change the decision. It wont be perfect but better than what we have now and the mm decisions will be taken away.
The problem with that is, you know that the TV pundits are going to draw lines and then point out when it's wrong. Who want's a wrong call to decide a champion or relegation? So long as it only uses the feet it should take seconds to review a goal, certainly by the time they've got back to the centre circle.
Danny Blanchflower

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

The mere fact that VAR seems to dominate this thread, goes to show its a farce and detracts from the spectacle we once knew and appreciated. Just get rid of it.
Ignore this signature

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Bomber wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:09 pm The mere fact that VAR seems to dominate this thread, goes to show its a farce and detracts from the spectacle we once knew and appreciated. Just get rid of it.
Absolutely correct dump it ASAP and just leave goal line technology .

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ozzie owl wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:09 pm
Bomber wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:09 pm The mere fact that VAR seems to dominate this thread, goes to show its a farce and detracts from the spectacle we once knew and appreciated. Just get rid of it.
Absolutely correct dump it ASAP and just leave goal line technology .
It's like Pandora's box I'm afraid.

"I knew a girl named Pandora, never saw her box though" :lol: cabernet film, but a great line. ;-)
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:49 pm
Champions at last wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:38 am

The problem with that is, you know that the TV pundits are going to draw lines and then point out when it's wrong. Who want's a wrong call to decide a champion or relegation? So long as it only uses the feet it should take seconds to review a goal, certainly by the time they've got back to the centre circle.
Not sure how Kane survived VAR analysis. Being England captain saved him a straight red is my take.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Champions at last wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:58 pmNot sure how Kane survived VAR analysis. Being England captain saved him a straight red is my take.
I've always thought that forwards are given more latitude for tackles, Shearer used to get away with some awful stuff, but that was a wonderful challenge by 'Arry.
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Champions at last wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:58 pmNot sure how Kane survived VAR analysis. Being England captain saved him a straight red is my take.
I don't think I want to play in or watch a game where that is a straight red. Even a yellow would have been harsh.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

It may not be good for the game but in today’s rules it was a red and the inconsistency is annoying.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

I am all for concucciaon subs, but can someone explain why have them when it’s clear the player is not coming back on?

(I also think a 4th sub for any GK injury should be allowed at any time )