EPL 20/21

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

blue moon
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: EPL 20/21

Post by blue moon »

? Sterlings was a clear penalty, going a top speed and Fabinho got him with both legs

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

blue moon wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:10 am ? Sterlings was a clear penalty, going a top speed and Fabinho got him with both legs
IMO both penalties .

Alison two costly errors didnt help Liverpool.

Now they are trail Man City by 10 ( and game in hand).

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

They were both blatant penalties.

VAR didn't even get a mention for them.

Seriously ,mate, give up the trolling - it's worse than Grosso, me and GIAE combined. If you aren't trolling, you really have no idea about the game.

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

Just look at both players facials when going down,you would think somebody shot them,what a bunch of BS- artists,same goes for most fouls committed,makes the sport look stupid.Still good game City.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

predrag wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:01 pm Just look at both players facials when going down,you would think somebody shot them,what a bunch of BS- artists,same goes for most fouls committed,makes the sport look stupid.Still good game City.
It's funny how footballers become so unsteady on their feet once they get in the box. They seem to be able to brush off fairly robust grabs and tackles when in the middle of the pitch, but suddenly they go all floppy and the defenders need to just get out of the way.

It will get to the stage where managers will tell their defenders under no circumstances let them in the box with the ball, just kick them or rugby tackle them outside and take the card.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:35 pm
predrag wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:01 pm Just look at both players facials when going down,you would think somebody shot them,what a bunch of BS- artists,same goes for most fouls committed,makes the sport look stupid.Still good game City.
It's funny how footballers become so unsteady on their feet once they get in the box. They seem to be able to brush off fairly robust grabs and tackles when in the middle of the pitch, but suddenly they go all floppy and the defenders need to just get out of the way.

It will get to the stage where managers will tell their defenders under no circumstances let them in the box with the ball, just kick them or rugby tackle them outside and take the card.

All referees have to do is to apply that if it wasn’t a free kick outside the box it’s not a penalty in the box. The problem with VAR is that VAR officials watch the incident in ultra slow mow , which makes any contact slight look worse ,

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ozzie owl wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:39 pm
Nice One Cyril wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:35 pm

All referees have to do is to apply that if it wasn’t a free kick outside the box it’s not a penalty in the box. The problem with VAR is that VAR officials watch the incident in ultra slow mow , which makes any contact slight look worse ,
True, but the counter argument to that is refs should be giving fouls in the box exactly as they give them anywhere else. It's all about consistency and it's up to the ref on the day to decide what level and type of contact is just part of the game.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

look the game used to be MANLY, now its not. too many sofkoks nowadays. only the coaches will stop but only if they are FORCED to do so. solution. refs to red card divers and shirt grabbers early in the game and the horrible practise will soon stop. coaches will not condone this kraap any more. as an old coach the worst thing for me was going a man down. it has to be stopped for the games sake cos kids are doing it now. they watch their seniors and know no better. the game needs to be cleaned up asap so the game can become MANLY again as it was when the poms gave it to the world to stuff up. :thumbdown:

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

unfortunately the powers that be in the world game seem to like it this way as they seem to condone it. i mean just what have they ever done to try and stop it. please make the actors return to the stage before we have coaches conducting diving schools for kids. :( :thumbdown: :roll:

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

EPL is rapidly losing its soul, focus should have been on young Fodens display but once again incompetent refs and tools like salah & sterling take centre stage. Watching the Norwich v Swansea game on the weekend. Maybe an offside maybe not, maybe a foul inside the box maybe not. Game goes on regardless, so much better than epl

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

N5 1BH wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:31 pm EPL is rapidly losing its soul, focus should have been on young Fodens display but once again incompetent refs and tools like salah & sterling take centre stage. Watching the Norwich v Swansea game on the weekend. Maybe an offside maybe not, maybe a foul inside the box maybe not. Game goes on regardless, so much better than epl
Agree 100%
Far more enjoyable watching EFL games, proper football
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

haywood djablowme wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:12 am
N5 1BH wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:31 pm EPL is rapidly losing its soul, focus should have been on young Fodens display but once again incompetent refs and tools like salah & sterling take centre stage. Watching the Norwich v Swansea game on the weekend. Maybe an offside maybe not, maybe a foul inside the box maybe not. Game goes on regardless, so much better than epl
Agree 100%
Far more enjoyable watching EFL games, proper football
I've given up on (watching) any league that uses VAR. Still hope Liverpool win etc, but highlights only now
Ignore this signature

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Liverpool moving along smoothly.

Animosity
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Animosity »

Allison is a living meme

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Animosity wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:31 pm Allison is a living meme
Would his pass to Vardy count as an assist. :smile:

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

By all accounts, if they'd have paid salah's two early dives it would have been a different story. It's just not fair

Del Boca Vista
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Del Boca Vista »

its at the stage where if you can't tell prem games are just fixed television productions, you aren't thinking very clearly about it. watch 10 minutes of a bundesliga game or somethingand the way it ebbs and flows reminds you of real football games we watch on the weekends with our sons/brothers/whatever in state league. the ref's in the prem are trying to make a good spectacle for TV audiences.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

There'll be timeouts next

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Everton earned their first derby win anywhere since 2010, while Liverpool have now lost four successive home matches for the first time since 1923.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Had to laugh at OGS "we wuz robbed" this morning. How he could say that with a straight face is impressive after all the penalties they've been awarded for someone breathing on their forward.
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

I wonder why NOC hasn’t posted about Mane being hacked yet staying on his feet?

Doesnt suit his agenda does it.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Champions at last wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:13 pm I wonder why NOC hasn’t posted about Mane being hacked yet staying on his feet?

Gimme a chance, I've only just got out of bed. Can't write scathing comments without a coffee ;-)
Danny Blanchflower

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Champions at last wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:13 pm I wonder why NOC hasn’t posted about Mane being hacked yet staying on his feet?

I've just watched the mini match and didn't see it, was it in the box? What minute was it in, it obviously didn't warrant a highlight?

EDIT: Just seen it but it took a bit of finding. 'Hacked' is a bit of a stretch, especially considering that by the time minimal contact was made the ball was already over the line, however I agree that had Mane dived theatrically like normal, he probably would have got a pen. I can only assume that at 2-0 up with three minutes to go, he felt like it wasn't required to cheat.

It does make you wonder though, if he can stand up perfectly well with that level of contact, even though it wasn't much, how he manages to go down like a felled oak when someone touches his toe?
Last edited by Nice One Cyril on Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

I can’t remember when but I will look for it it. He rode a blatant foul, didn’t stumble but over ran the ball. Commentary mentioned it would have been clear pen if he went down . It was 0-0 at the time .

You know me, I will find it…..

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:13 am

I've just watched the mini match and didn't see it, was it in the box? What minute was it in, it obviously didn't warrant a highlight?
No way was that a hack , but yes he could have gone over . It was in the 87th minute , with Liverpool up 2-0.
Last edited by ozzie owl on Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Champions at last wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:24 am I can’t remember when but I will look for it it. He rode a blatant foul, didn’t stumble but over ran the ball. Commentary mentioned it would have been clear pen if he went down . It was 0-0 at the time .

You know me, I will find it…..
I edited my above post. It wasn't at 0-0 it was at 2-0 in the 87th minute assuming we're talking about the same incident.
Danny Blanchflower

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ozzie owl wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:28 am
Nice One Cyril wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:13 am

No way was that a hack , but yes he could have gone over . It was in the 87th minute , with Liverpool up 2-0.
I suspect that, had it been earlier and 0-0, the sniper would have been up and about, arms would have been flung in the air, knees would have gone weak and he would have collapsed as is his way. :lol:
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Yes I was about to edit my post about it being being 87th min.

https://www.givemesport.com/1654818-she ... in-penalty

It’s why players do go down when touched usually, refs don’t give penalties if they don’t. It’s not diving but ensuring the current rules are kept. Diving is when no contact and you fall over . If mane had got the penalty maybe players would realise they don’t need to ensure refs do the right thing? Also unsure why VAR didn’t give it, was it due to it being 2-0?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Champions at last wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:58 am Yes I was about to edit my post about it being being 87th min.

https://www.givemesport.com/1654818-she ... in-penalty

It’s why players do go down when touched usually, refs don’t give penalties if they don’t. It’s not diving but ensuring the current rules are kept. Diving is when no contact and you fall over . If mane had got the penalty maybe players would realise they don’t need to ensure refs do the right thing? Also unsure why VAR didn’t give it, was it due to it being 2-0?
Football is supposed to be a contact sport and a reasonable level of contact is to be expected, you don't have to be knocked off your feet, but equally a gentle tap or slight upper body contact is not necessarily a foul. VAR has ensured that we now have a different definition of a foul depending on whether it's in the box or not. It was always a bit like that, but it's now become a slow, forensic investigation where a stray bootlace can knock a fit young man to the ground. Much as I like to wind you up with Salah and Mane, all forwards without exception do it to some extent. Had that Mane incident occurred in the midfield and he'd run on to get the ball would it have been a foul? Almost certainly not, yet in the box it somehow becomes a penalty.

I'm just watching the Everton game and for Richarlison's goal, Calvert-Lewin wins the ball and twats the defender across the face with his hand. It's accidental and for me nowhere near a foul and the goal correctly stood, but the level of contact was about 10 times that required to make a forward collapse.

I think it spoils the essence of the game when you take the contact away.
Danny Blanchflower