Euro 2020

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Euro 2020

Post by Rookie »

what are people's thoughts on the Euro's Vs the Copa America standards, i am liking the Euro's more

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

ozzie owl wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:21 pm
MetroStars TV Ad wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:15 pm EACH COUNTRY'S STANCE TO THE KNEE AHEAD OF EURO 2020
GROUP A

Turkey – No confirmation, but not take the knee in recent games

Italy – No confirmation, but did not take against Czech Republic

Wales – Will take the knee

Switzerland - No confirmation, but did not take knee in recent games

GROUP B

Denmark – Will take the knee

Finland – Will take the knee

Belgium – Will take the knee

Russia – Will not take the knee

GROUP C

Netherlands - No confirmation, but players have been vocal in their BLM support

Ukraine – No confirmation, but no evidence to suggest they will

Austria – Will take the knee after joining England in act of solidarity during friendly

North Macedonia – No confirmation, but did not take the knee against Kazakhstan

GROUP D

England – Will take the knee

Scotland – No confirmation, players and staff to hold discussions

Croatia – Will not take the knee

Czech Republic – Will not take the knee

GROUP E

Spain – No confirmation, have avoided gesture in recent friendlies

Sweden – No confirmation, have avoided gesture in recent friendlies

Poland – Will not take the knee

Slovakia – Will not take the knee

GROUP F

Hungary – Will not take the knee, as was the case against Republic of Ireland

Portugal – No confirmation, but did take knee in recent Spain friendly

France – No confirmation, but star players are in favour of taking the knee

Germany – No confirmation, but did not take the knee in recent friendlies
It should be up to the individual and IMO no longer 'kneeds to be done"
it should be oulawed, fullstop. Sportspeople are paid to play a game not political views.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

was watching the Scotland V Czech game and i noticed that players had the flags of both countries on their chest (front of shirt).....why???

is this new??? I personally wouldnt want to share my national shirt with the flag of another country.
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

MegaBonus wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:40 am was watching the Scotland V Czech game and i noticed that players had the flags of both countries on their chest (front of shirt).....why???

is this new??? I personally wouldnt want to share my national shirt with the flag of another country.
You personally needn't worry about it, Greece didn't qualify
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

MegaBonus wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:40 am was watching the Scotland V Czech game and i noticed that players had the flags of both countries on their chest (front of shirt).....why???

Must be the new thing, they used to have the name of the countries written on the playing shirt in the past
Not all teams have the flags, Turkey didnt against Italy
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

C U Next Saturday
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by C U Next Saturday »

Dont worry ! you won't be playing international sport for awhile

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:08 am
thebeautifulgame wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:54 am Scotland huffed and puffed but outclassed in finishing. Can't argue with the end result, both sides had lots of chances but best team won so no complaints. Could have put the Czechs under more pressure by taking one of our early chances but it wasn't to be. Scotland looking favourites to finish bottom of the group after one game.
Shades of Ally's Army :lol:
Yes NOC, Argentina 1978! How did England go? Here's is a big clue from the 'Ally's Army' song:

We're representing Britain, we've got to do or die,
For England cannae dae it 'cause they didnae qualify! :grin:

When you are missing one of your best in Tierney it gets even tougher, though Steve Clarke made a couple of surprise choices we lack the depth required at this level. If England take half their chances the next game Scotland could get a thumping! Just hope we go out in the correct manner and give it a real go.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

thebeautifulgame wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:49 pm
thebeautifulgame wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:54 am Scotland huffed and puffed but outclassed in finishing. Can't argue with the end result, both sides had lots of chances but best team won so no complaints. Could have put the Czechs under more pressure by taking one of our early chances but it wasn't to be. Scotland looking favourites to finish bottom of the group after one game.
Yes NOC, Argentina 1978! How did England go? Here's is a big clue from the 'Ally's Army' song:

When you are missing one of your best in Tierney it gets even tougher, though Steve Clarke made a couple of surprise choices we lack the depth required at this level. If England take half their chances the next game Scotland could get a thumping! Just hope we go out in the correct manner and give it a real go.
Might have been different had Dykes taken his chance early in the game. I bet you wish you had Joe Jordan up front with a midfield of Rioch, Souness,Hartford, Gemmill and Dalglish ?

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

ozzie owl wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:02 pm

Might have been different had Dykes taken his chance early in the game. I bet you wish you had Joe Jordan up front with a midfield of Rioch, Souness,Hartford, Gemmill and Dalglish ?
Which countries are you supporting this championship?

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

MetroStars TV Ad wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:57 pm
ozzie owl wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:02 pm

glad we are NOT facing THAT midfield. we did have joe jordan at man utd legend. :grin:

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

The UK
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

MegaBonus wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:16 pm
The UK
Probably not fair having 3 teams in the comp. ;-)

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

MetroStars TV Ad wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:44 am

You personally needn't worry about it, Greece didn't qualify
:lol: :lol:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

sorry NOC...I'd take you seriously if the team you supported had won a major international tournament in the last 50 years...

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

MegaBonus wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:34 pm sorry NOC...I'd take you seriously if the team you supported had won a major international tournament in the last 50 years...
:clap: hear hear.

NOC, when England can absolutely dominate and thoroughly entertain the crowds in a major international tournament like this, then disappear into oblivion over the next decade, maybe we can talk....

Portugal 1-2 Greece
Greece 1-1 Spain
Russia 2-1 Greece
France 0-1 Greece
Greece 1-0 Czech Rep
Portugal 0-1 Greece

The beauty of it was that megabonus would have absolutely LOVED the way Greece played their football :lol:

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

^^^^^^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

not sure what to make of your sarcasm...trying to be funny or just ignorant...the current World Champions, with all their attacking prowess played a counter attacking style to win in Russia.

and if you a from the boot of a country, the one that glamorised catenaccio, you should be last to talk about style over substance.

the most proactive national team of our generation 'Spain' won the world Cup in Sth Africa 1-0 in extra time

even Brazil, the most successful footballing nation has lost its 'Samba' DNA.

once again...not sure whether you are trying to be funny or ignorant ;-)

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

The beauty of it was that megabonus would have absolutely LOVED the way Greece played their football :lol:
you bet....

a Federation that got its coaching appointment right
a coach who selected the perfect squad
a coach who implemented the prefect tactics for the tournament
a captained who inspired his team
a playing squad that as one, accepted those tactics and played their part

whats there not to love??? some 'footballing nations' have never got the above right....others have only got it right once...EVER!

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

MegaBonus wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:10 am
you bet....

a Federation that got its coaching appointment right
a coach who selected the perfect squad
a coach who implemented the prefect tactics for the tournament
a captained who inspired his team
a playing squad that as one, accepted those tactics and played their part

whats there not to love??? some 'footballing nations' have never got the above right....others have only got it right once...EVER!
:lol: Mega "each way bet" Bonus

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

MegaBonus wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:07 am ^^^^^^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

not sure what to make of your sarcasm...trying to be funny or just ignorant...the current World Champions, with all their attacking prowess played a counter attacking style to win in Russia.

and if you a from the boot of a country, the one that glamorised catenaccio, you should be last to talk about style over substance.

the most proactive national team of our generation 'Spain' won the world Cup in Sth Africa 1-0 in extra time

even Brazil, the most successful footballing nation has lost its 'Samba' DNA.

once again...not sure whether you are trying to be funny or ignorant ;-)
As they say winners are grinners and Greece were in 2004 not the first and not the last to win playing cautious football.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Post by MetroStars TV Ad » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:24 am

wait...what are we talking about?.....I was talking about how one can only admire how a country gets it right to win a major tournament...what are you talking about.....youre not changing the subject are you?

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

MegaBonus wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:23 am
Post by MetroStars TV Ad » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:24 am

wait...what are we talking about?.....I was talking about how one can only admire how a country gets it right to win a major tournament...what are you talking about.....youre not changing the subject are you?
I'm glad you can admire winning ugly, my impression of you was quite different, I've always thought you were gung ho on playing beautiful football at all costs.

Each way mega :lol:

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

you must have the wrong person.........dont think ive ever stated that at international level at a major tournament its more important to play with 'style' than it is to win....

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

MegaBonus wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:16 am you must have the wrong person.........dont think ive ever stated that at international level at a major tournament its more important to play with 'style' than it is to win....
Then I apologise and retract my comments

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

When it comes to a major tournament or the Euro's, who cares how you play. As long as you win.

Greece won playing crap football, defended well and took a decent set piece.

No one says you have to win and play pretty football.

However, it's still funny seeing people dragging off a country who get a further in most tournaments than their own, whichever one that is this week.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

If you are suggesting that a 'footballing powerhouse nation' measures success by getting further into a competition than minnows like Iceland (oh...wait ;-) ), Denmark and Greece, you can understand why that nation has been devoid of any tangible success.

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

I agree with Englishman-it's the final result that counts,like a crap boxer you take the hits ,then unleash when opponent looks vulnerable.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:29 pm If you are suggesting that a 'footballing powerhouse nation' measures success by getting further into a competition than minnows like Iceland (oh...wait ;-) ), Denmark and Greece, you can understand why that nation has been devoid of any tangible success.
I never said that was success. You just seem to be infatuated with England, despite yoir own countries not being as good.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

your sense of self importance is comical....Im not infatuated by engerrlaand...merely replying to the banter from fellow forumites...

BTW - my country has had more success than yours while we have been alive..

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

predrag wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:57 pm I agree with Englishman-it's the final result that counts,like a crap boxer you take the hits ,then unleash when opponent looks vulnerable.
heck, so do i. :thumbup:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:12 am your sense of self importance is comical....Im not infatuated by engerrlaand...merely replying to the banter from fellow forumites...

BTW - my country has had more success than yours while we have been alive..

Which country are you claiming this week?
As for my self importance, itss not exagerrated so youre wrong.