Is football becoming a non-contact sport?

This forum is for the discussion of other football topics including Futsal, Indoor Soccer, 7-a-side, Referees and Rules of the Game

Moderator: Forum Admins

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Is football becoming a non-contact sport?

Post by Nice One Cyril »

I'm not a referee so I'm genuinely interested in what they're being advised with regard to tackles. Is any showing of studs now an automatic red card, irrespective of whether it's a 2 legged dive from 3 yards or a single leg stretch from 1 yard?

This is no longer the game I've played and watched for 45 years.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Clever Trevor
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Is football becoming a non-contact sport?

Post by Clever Trevor »

Maybe ask the referees boss for clarification.

Are you referring to if there is contact?

I.e if you go in studs up with two feet off the ground, it's reckless if you don't even make contact.
If you make contact it's somewhere between reckless and excessive force.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Clever Trevor wrote:Maybe ask the referees boss for clarification.

Are you referring to if there is contact?

I.e if you go in studs up with two feet off the ground, it's reckless if you don't even make contact.
If you make contact it's somewhere between reckless and excessive force.
That's fair enough and that's a sensible intepretation of the Law, nobody wants a player with a leg snapped in two. IMO the contact is incidental, although it makes it look worse, it's the potential that needs punishing. However, the refs are only implementing what their authorities tell them and they seem unable to differentiate between the 'leg breaker' and a one legged stretch for a ball.

Everything seems to be a red card these days. It's supposed to be a game for men and it's a contact sport FFS. Has OHS gone so far that we can't have any injuries as part of the game?
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Sadly, the element of common sense is lost out quite a lot these days.
Ignore this signature

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Bomber wrote:Sadly, the element of common sense is lost out quite a lot these days.
I think it was the ref's pink socks that did for him. Obviously thought it was a girl's game. :wink:
Danny Blanchflower

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

I believe in passion. I believe in commitment. I believe in the winning mentality of sport. All that said I believe in the safety of players! I have seen many brutal games of football in my lifetime in both semi-professional and professional games and this goes way beyond passion, commitment and winning IMO. The secret is to apply common sense at ALL times, regardless of the hype and other external influences often put out there by forums, media etc. Referees only have ONE shot at getting the decision spot on and don't have the comfort or back up of several replays from varying angles. The game IS a contact sport but is (rightly or wrongly) moving more toward respecting the safety of players. I am in favour of protecting players but also accept that the game is in danger of becoming less exciting/passionate etc.- it is all down to keeping a balance so that the players and SPECTATORS can enjoy the game. The game is all about entertainment and not selling the customers short.
This issue (player safety v passion/commitment/enjoyment of the game) will be directed by FIFA and these laws must be respected by ALL that participate in our great game and though some will agree/disagree in this case we have to respect the LAWS and in some cases agree to disagree! I do sympathise with the supporters from the 70's and 80's eras but we do have to appreciate that to promote the game globally we have to keep the game as skillful and entertainiing as possible.
I would encourage potential referees to develop from ex players (male and female) as they have the undoubted advantage of playing the game and experiencing a deliberate/foul act as opposed to a mistimed tackle- paramount to keeping the game flowing and being pro-active in player management/general control of the game etc. We have to accept that many young referees which service the game have no playing experience and this does lead to misinterpretations of the laws.