FIFA Rule Change: Nil All Draw's = No Points ??

This forum is for the discussion of other football topics including Futsal, Indoor Soccer, 7-a-side, Referees and Rules of the Game

Moderator: Forum Admins

Mihalis
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

FIFA Rule Change: Nil All Draw's = No Points ??

Post by Mihalis »

I just watched the Sydney vs WSW A-League game. It really was a great crowd but unfortunately there were no goals. Personally, this has to be the most annoying aspect of the game I love. I've been thinking about an idea for quite a while now and if I had my way, neither of these teams would have received a point tonight. That's right, scoreless draw....no goals....equals no Championship points for either team. 1 to 1, both teams get a point. 1 to 0....even better, you get all 3, but hey.....if no one gets a goal, bad luck, you go home empty.
What do you guys think about this idea ? Would it be too radical ? Personally I love it.
Other fans of the game might have thought of this as well, so I'm not saying that it is exclusive to me. More importantly, I'd love FIFA to think outside the box too. People I have spoken to think it would be a great ruling and would also give plenty of incentive for teams to put the ball in the back of the net.....especially if it came down to needing 1 point to win the League title, stay above relegation or move to the next stage of a World Cup. It would demand teams to be more attacking.....unless a Club was 10 points clear on top and couldn't care less either way....which would be OK as well.
Thanks for reading. :)

Inoue Waka
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: FIFA Rule Change: Nil All Draw's = No Points ??

Post by Inoue Waka »

The game doesn't need any more tampering.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Very simply

NO

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:Very simply

NO
+1

Why punish good defending/goalkeeping?
Ignore this signature

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Mihalis wrote:I just watched the Sydney vs WSW A-League game. It really was a great crowd but unfortunately there were no goals. Personally, this has to be the most annoying aspect of the game I love. I've been thinking about an idea for quite a while now and if I had my way, neither of these teams would have received a point tonight. That's right, scoreless draw....no goals....equals no Championship points for either team. 1 to 1, both teams get a point. 1 to 0....even better, you get all 3, but hey.....if no one gets a goal, bad luck, you go home empty.
What do you guys think about this idea ? Would it be too radical ? Personally I love it.
Other fans of the game might have thought of this as well, so I'm not saying that it is exclusive to me. More importantly, I'd love FIFA to think outside the box too. People I have spoken to think it would be a great ruling and would also give plenty of incentive for teams to put the ball in the back of the net.....especially if it came down to needing 1 point to win the League title, stay above relegation or move to the next stage of a World Cup. It would demand teams to be more attacking.....unless a Club was 10 points clear on top and couldn't care less either way....which would be OK as well.
Thanks for reading. :)
Nah Mihalis. It could invite cheating teams which are drawing 0-0 to collude, let each other score one goal to guarantee a point, then proceed with the rest of the game.

IMO opinion a better thing get the I.F.A.B. to trial would be to award 4 points for a win, one for any draw - then let's see if those teams still drawing with the clock ticking down REALLY go for it.

Mod Of Bury
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mod Of Bury »

Why not make it five?

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Mod Of Bury wrote:Why not make it five?
Now you're being silly, Mobwee. Going from 3 points for a win to 4 points for a win, 1 for a draw could just about be the right carrot to make teams throw everything to the wind and absolutely go for the win instead of settling for a cagey draw.

What would it hurt to trial it? It's just an extension of Jimmy Hill's implemented suggestion of 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw all those years ago. Draws were worth 50% of a win, then it went to draws worth 33% of a win with Hill's suggestion. Now it could be trialled that draws would be worth 25% of a win and those trials could be evaluated for trends.

An example of settling for draws was I think the stark result of Aston Villa having drawn 10 of their early games in the EFL Championship this present season. IMO they would have thrown caution to the wind and gone for broke if the carrot of 4 points for a win was there.

Mod Of Bury
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mod Of Bury »

That's just your opinion.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Jimmy Hill brought 3 points in for a win, and it's been well received. No need for change.

If you look at the recent Bournemouth v Arsenal game - Arsenal did brilliantly to come back (they need to repeat that v Bayern!), that one point in the end was a good point for them, why should a team that wins with a lucky last minute goal that was really offside be awarded with 4 points and therefore such a difference between a win and a draw?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

No more controversy wrote:Jimmy Hill brought 3 points in for a win, and it's been well received. No need for change.

If you look at the recent Bournemouth v Arsenal game - Arsenal did brilliantly to come back (they need to repeat that v Bayern!), that one point in the end was a good point for them, why should a team that wins with a lucky last minute goal that was really offside be awarded with 4 points and therefore such a difference between a win and a draw?
Should be 6 points for a goal and one point if you hit the post :wink:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Bomber wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Very simply

NO
+1

Why punish good defending/goalkeeping?
+1