ODI cricket world cup

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: ODI cricket world cup

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Chiko Roll wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:
Chiko Roll wrote:How did England bat a super over when they had no wickets in hand?
because that's not how super overs work
I don't know know the rules, but would have thought it would be like extra time/penalties, where you continue on with the players you have on the park.
Different sports, different concept.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

So historically, the game is a tie and will be entered as such in head-to-head stats, correct?

Yes, England hold the trophy (at last), but never really "won" it.

Enjoy it all the same, as I did when we (properly) won our first when I was just 23 years old. :)
Ignore this signature

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Bomber wrote:So historically, the game is a tie and will be entered as such in head-to-head stats, correct?

Yes, England hold the trophy (at last), but never really "won" it.

Enjoy it all the same, as I did when we (properly) won our first when I was just 23 years old. :)

Who has won the most ICC World Cups?
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/ic ... 03e6cbd5aa
This is the photo that confirms the ICC’s worst fears.
It proves that England were incorrectly awarded six runs for a bizarre overthrow incident which ultimately handed them the World Cup on Monday morning.

The image, taken from the final over of the incredible final, shows New Zealand fielder Martin Guptill launch a throw to the keeper’s end as England batsmen Ben Stokes, at the left of the screen, and Adil Rashid, desperately attempt to complete a second run.

Crucially, it shows the batsmen yet to cross at the precise moment Guptill releases the ball.

Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

this explains Hawksey's absence from this thread post final (bar one). imagine his vitriol if Australia was awarded the trophy under those circumstances.....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

England won it through the rules and regulations, an asterisk is often aganst a team that wins a football comp on penaties - no different.
The 5 or 6 runs is ambiguous and it seems a wrong call was made, but if England needed more off the last ball Stokes would have played it differently ,and what could be deemed an official's mistake is life, happens in all sports all the time.

The fact is simsple, England won, and only Australians are moaning about it (and that's because the winners are England) get over it and move on.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

six and out wrote:England won it through the rules and regulations, an asterisk is often aganst a team that wins a football comp on penaties - no different.
The 5 or 6 runs is ambiguous and it seems a wrong call was made, but if England needed more off the last ball Stokes would have played it differently ,and what could be deemed an official's mistake is life, happens in all sports all the time.

The fact is simsple, England won, and only Australians are moaning about it (and that's because the winners are England) get over it and move on.
I know many kiwis who are mighty pissed off!
Ignore this signature

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

I don't know about being 'pissed' but I know that not many Poms cared....they were more interested in the tennis….
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Frank Costanza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Frank Costanza »

six and out wrote:England won it through the rules and regulations, an asterisk is often against a team that wins a football comp on penalties - no different.

The fact is simple, England won, and only Australians are moaning about it (and that's because the winners are England) get over it and move on.
I'm not disputing the fact that it's all over and England have won the World Cup, however if the ruling was applied as it's suggesting it should have, the result may very well have been different.
Instead of needing 3 off 2 balls with Stokes on strike, they would have needed 4 off 2 balls and Rashid would have been on strike.
Who knows what would have then happened?
WHO TOOK MY TV GUIDE???

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

six and out wrote:England won it through the rules and regulations, an asterisk is often aganst a team that wins a football comp on penaties - no different.

So England didn't deserve it?
I haven't watch the game, and to be honest can't be bothered now considering the controversy about the result.
However, saying that Stokes would of played it differently... maybe Boult would of bowled it differently!

Could of, would of, should of!

I bet you and the rest of the Pommy brigade would be singing a different tune if you had lost the game.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

MegaBonus wrote:I don't know about being 'pissed' but I know that not many Poms cared....they were more interested in the tennis….

Williams vs Halep?

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

no...the mens final rated higher than the cricket final for Pommie viewers...

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Michael wrote:

I haven't watch the game, and to be honest can't be bothered now considering the controversy about the result.
However, saying that Stokes would of played it differently... maybe Boult would of bowled it differently!

I bet you and the rest of the Pommy brigade would be singing a different tune if you had lost the game.
i wouldnt have. cant speak for others,

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

MegaBonus wrote:no...the mens final rated higher than the cricket final for Pommie viewers...
Are you sure?
The figures include homes in all of Britain.
Where are the exclusive English figures?

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

six and out wrote:
Michael wrote:

i wouldnt have. cant speak for others,

I don't believe you

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

MegaBonus wrote:no...the mens final rated higher than the cricket final for Pommie viewers...

Doesn't surprise me, what a mens final that was!

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Michael wrote:

I don't believe you
That's up to you, but as a sports fan I always accept poor decisions, it's life.
I maybe a bit unhappy with them, butyou mention it and move on.

What I don't like is when governing bodies go aganst their own rules and regulations.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

We'll never know if I would have reacted differently but the fact is we won the tournament.

The same question could be asked as to how you'd all be reacting if England hadn't won it.

One simple fact, we are the world cup champions.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

six and out wrote:
Michael wrote:

I don't believe you
That's up to you, but as a sports fan I always accept poor decisions, it's life.

What I don't like is when governing bodies go aganst their own rules and regulations.
Being a liverpool supporter, I guess your used to mediocrity...
But, you would of been a whingeing little boy if England lost
:wink:

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

God is an Englishman wrote:We'll never know if I would have reacted differently but the fact is we won the tournament.

The same question could be asked as to how you'd all be reacting if England hadn't won it.

End of the day, you didn't deserve the trophy as you should not of been awarded it.
You were not the BEST team in final, let alone the tournament.
Enjoy the success, if it wasn't for the farcical umpiring decision at the end, you would still be trophyless.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Michael wrote:
six and out wrote:
Michael wrote:

I don't believe you

I don't whinge about results and decisions.

We are in fact the currnet European champions and came second in the league with 97 points. If that's mediocrity.....

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Michael wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:We'll never know if I would have reacted differently but the fact is we won the tournament.

End of the day, you didn't deserve the trophy as you should not of been awarded it.
Enjoy the success, if it wasn't for the farcical umpiring decision at the end, you would still be trophyless.

:lol:

*have

You aussies do like to whinge. Kiwis I know have accepted it well, pity you have to be a poor loser.

England 2019 World Cup Winners.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Michael wrote:
six and out wrote:
Michael wrote:

I don't believe you

*have

We don't know if he would have been whingeing or not, we do know that you are though.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

six and out wrote:
Michael wrote:
six and out wrote:

I don't whinge about results and decisions.

We are in fact the currnet European champions and came second in the league with 97 points. If that's mediocrity.....
You got the same disease as Hawkesy, I see
Yet haven't won an EPL title....

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Michael wrote:

:lol:

*have

You aussies do like to whinge. Kiwis I know have accepted it well, pity you have to be a poor loser.

England 2019 World Cup Winners.
Making assumptions, again.. I see.
It must really be lonely in your made-up world.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

My world is great, we're world cup champions.

What assumption have I made?

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

God is an Englishman wrote:My world is great, we're world cup champions.

I have told you many times, I am not an Aussie!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Michael wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:My world is great, we're world cup champions.

I have told you many times, I am not an Aussie!
So, what assumption have I made?

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

Have to go with the events and rulings of the day. Cant review everything post game, no one would ever win anything.

Just have to hope the Ashes goes better lol

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Michael wrote:

If you bothered to read the LOTG you would see that the particular law is ambiguous and can be interpreted in two ways. So while you may call the law 'farcical', you cannot say the umpires decision was 'farcical'. However as you are becoming a master at playing the man rather than the ball, your comment does not surprise me.
Time for some righteous indignation