Womens and Girls Cup Quarter Finals

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Womens and Girls Cup Quarter Finals

Post by united92 »

WNPL & WSL Cup

Campbelltown vs Adelaide Uni
Fulham vs Salisbury Inter
Metro United vs West Adelaide
Sturt Marion vs Adelaide City

WNPL & WSL Reserves Cup

Div1/2/3 Cup

Ingle Farm (Div 3) vs Metro United (Div 1)
Noarlunga United (Div 1) vs Adelaide Uni (Div 2)
Eastern Elite (Div 1) vs Adelaide Uni (Div 1)
Para Hills Knights (Div 1) vs Para Hills East (Div 3)*

*Para Hills East have now forfeited so PHK through to Semis having only played 1 game.

Div4/5/Collegiate Cup

Pembroke (Collegiate) vs Tea Tree Gully (Div 4)
OISC (Collegiate) vs Modbury Vista (Div 4)
Mercedes Green (Collegiate) vs Seymour (Collegiate)
Elizabeth Downs (Div 4) vs Sacred Heart (Collegiate)

U17s Cup

South Adelaide vs Munno Para Red^
Metro United vs Cumberland
Adelaide Comets vs Para Hills Knights Blue
Para Hills Knights Red vs Adelaide Uni Red

^Munno Para pulled their team between the last Cup Round and this one, therefore South Adelaide will go straight through to the Semi Final.

U15s Cup

Fulham Red vs Adelaide City White
Adelaide City Black vs Adelaide Uni
Cumblerand Red vs Metro United
Modbury Vista vs Campbelltown

U13s Cup

Adelaide Jaguars vs Metro United
Fulham vs Para Hills East
Cumberland White vs Adelaide Comets
Cumberland vs Sturt Marion

gunners14
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: Womens and Girls Cup Quarter Finals

Post by gunners14 »

Any results from the WNPL & WSL cup?

Fulham and inter in particular? Interested to see how inter held up against a premier league team.

:)

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Fulham 3- Inter 0

RAP300
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by RAP300 »

Just had a look on the FFSA website

Sturt Marion 1 - Adelaide City 2

Campbelltown 2 - Adelaide Uni 8

Metro and Westies scores aren't up yet

MuddySocks
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by MuddySocks »

RAP300 wrote:Just had a look on the FFSA website

Sturt Marion 1 - Adelaide City 2

Campbelltown 2 - Adelaide Uni 8

Metro and Westies scores aren't up yet
What is the link please? :)

RAP300
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by RAP300 »

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

Metro won in extra time, 4-2 (2-2 at full time)

terryball
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by terryball »

united92 wrote:WNPL & WSL Cup

WNPL & WSL Reserves Cup

Div1/2/3 Cup

Ingle Farm (Div 3) vs Metro United (Div 1)
Noarlunga United (Div 1) vs Adelaide Uni (Div 2)
Eastern Elite (Div 1) vs Adelaide Uni (Div 1)
Para Hills Knights (Div 1) vs Para Hills East (Div 3)*

*Para Hills East have now forfeited so PHK through to Semis having only played 1 game.

Div4/5/Collegiate Cup

Pembroke (Collegiate) vs Tea Tree Gully (Div 4)
OISC (Collegiate) vs Modbury Vista (Div 4)
Mercedes Green (Collegiate) vs Seymour (Collegiate)
Elizabeth Downs (Div 4) vs Sacred Heart (Collegiate)

U17s Cup

South Adelaide vs Munno Para Red^
Metro United vs Cumberland
Adelaide Comets vs Para Hills Knights Blue
Para Hills Knights Red vs Adelaide Uni Red

^Munno Para pulled their team between the last Cup Round and this one, therefore South Adelaide will go straight through to the Semi Final.

U15s Cup

Fulham Red vs Adelaide City White
Adelaide City Black vs Adelaide Uni
Cumblerand Red vs Metro United
Modbury Vista vs Campbelltown

U13s Cup

Adelaide Jaguars vs Metro United
Fulham vs Para Hills East
Cumberland White vs Adelaide Comets
Cumberland vs Sturt Marion

Para hills knights(red) vs Adelaide Uni 5-1 (u17)

Para hills knights(blue) vs Adelaide comets 6-2 (u17)

the barbarian
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by the barbarian »

I hear at least one of the cup semi for the Prems-WNPL teams Uni v Fulham has been brought forward?? I believe to Monday night??but not sure why??? again there is a fixture program bought out at the beginning of the season wi?th dates for fixtures and cup games and semis etc , then again the ffsa see fit to change these dates??? does anyone know the reason for this change?

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

Dates have been changed due to availability of venues.

MuddySocks
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by MuddySocks »

adel city v metro monday 25/7

Danny Way
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Danny Way »

Venue ? Time ?

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

All of the cup fixtures are listed on FoxSportsPulse.

Both Cup Semi Finals are being held Monday night, July 25 at the Parks.

Uni/Fulham 6pm ko
City/Metro 8pm ko

the barbarian
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by the barbarian »

Sorely the ffsa would have checked pitch availability when they brought out the original fixtures list for the cup semi finals, But then again maybe not. You would hope not but I would think that some player availability may now be affected by this change, due to work commitments etc.

Wayne Kerr
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Wayne Kerr »

the barbarian wrote:Sorely the ffsa would have checked pitch availability when they brought out the original fixtures list for the cup semi finals, But then again maybe not. You would hope not but I would think that some player availability may now be affected by this change, due to work commitments etc.

Sorely or surely?
:wink:
We got Ova' Here?? #ACCUPAHATERS!

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

Couple of surprise results what do you all think ?

Ade Uni going down to Fulham, Metro kept scoreless against Ade City

Ade City vs Fulham final

RoundTheGarden
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by RoundTheGarden »

Two massive upsets but both well deserved wins. What's happening with Metro though? In the last few weeks they lost to AC, won only narrowly with Para Hills Uni and Fulham, drew with WA and yesterday again could not create anything in over 90 minutes...They seem to be the only team with all their players available and yet they are struggling to get past some seriously depleted sides...

rocknroll
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by rocknroll »

Metro have been let down all season ( although the results dont tell the story ) by a seriously inept coach. Wouldnt be surprised if they crashed out of the finals. The girls have not been playing as a team all season but have managed to get the wins despite the coach.

RoundTheGarden
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by RoundTheGarden »

rocknroll wrote:Metro have been let down all season ( although the results dont tell the story ) by a seriously inept coach. Wouldnt be surprised if they crashed out of the finals. The girls have not been playing as a team all season but have managed to get the wins despite the coach.
WOW! These are strong words rocknroll! Wasn't she the same coach that won the double last year and some ppl on this forum complained when she didn't win the coach of the year award? But yeah I guess you are right they don't play as a team. I haven't really seen many of their games, but last night it was evident, AC looked much better organised. Metro are still the team to beat though, top of the league, will definitely win it IMO.

rocknroll
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by rocknroll »

Actually, the coach didnt win the double last year the players won the double. Its very easy to coach a team of very experienced and talented players - not so easy when things start falling over. A good coach will inspire and bring their players together - this is not happening Its very evident that some of the metro players are not physically fit - some of them are only good at that level for 20 or 30 minutes. You only have to have a look at their physique compared to say a team like AC. Metro could be twice the team they currently are and could be unbeatable if they were coached properly.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

Post by United We Stand »

The General wrote:Couple of surprise results what do you all think ?

Ade Uni going down to Fulham, Metro kept scoreless against Ade City

Ade City vs Fulham final

Uni being beaten by Fulham was a little bit of a surprise given Uni's dominant form of late. Metro being kept scoreless by a very well organised Adelaide City was not. City kept Metro scoreless a few weeks ago in a 1-0 league win. At that stage, City were depleted with about 5 or 6 key players out injured. City starting to regain players from injury and unavailability is reflected in their run of wins over the last few weeks. Should be an interesting Cup Final as Fulham are a decent team and are well-coached.
Last edited by United We Stand on Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

rocknroll wrote:Actually, the coach didnt win the double last year the players won the double. Its very easy to coach a team of very experienced and talented players - not so easy when things start falling over. A good coach will inspire and bring their players together - this is not happening Its very evident that some of the metro players are not physically fit - some of them are only good at that level for 20 or 30 minutes. You only have to have a look at their physique compared to say a team like AC. Metro could be twice the team they currently are and could be unbeatable if they were coached properly.

Are you saying that player for player that Metro have got a better squad than Adelaide City? Are you saying that if "some of their players" were physically fit, that they would beat City? Metro would be unbeatable?

rocknroll
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by rocknroll »

No, very difficult to compare player to player, but if all metros players were 100% fit and the team was coached properly yes they would be unbeatable. IMO Metro are playing at about 50% of what they are capable of at the moment. The first game of the season against Sturt was a very good game and at that time metro looked as if it was only a week ago that they had played the Grand Final. unfortunately since then it has been a downhill slide.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

rocknroll wrote:No, very difficult to compare player to player, but if all metros players were 100% fit and the team was coached properly yes they would be unbeatable. IMO Metro are playing at about 50% of what they are capable of at the moment. The first game of the season against Sturt was a very good game and at that time metro looked as if it was only a week ago that they had played the Grand Final. unfortunately since then it has been a downhill slide.

For a start, it is rare for any team to be unbeatable. Arsenal's "invincibles" went through a season unbeaten, but that is the exception to the rule. So you ARE saying that Metro have a better squad than AC, but it is only their physical fitness level and not being coached properly that lets them down.

Having watched Metro and AC closely over the last few seasons, I feel that they are missing the players (Like MJ) that they lost from last season and that they ARE NOT as good as last season's barnstorming team. They still have last season's double-winning coach, so I disagree with the fact that they are not being coached properly. They have only lost one match (To AC!) in the league and winning most of their games is testament to them being a good side with a good coach.

I definitely disagree that they are playing at 50% of what they are capable of. They may not be as formidable as last year's team but that is not because of their fitness levels or their coach. They have pushed City all the way in their clashes this season. Metro are more experienced than City, but I honestly think the young Black and Whites have improved since last year and have overtaken Metro. So it is a combination of these two factors and NOT what you are putting it down to.

RoundTheGarden
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by RoundTheGarden »

rocknroll wrote:No, very difficult to compare player to player, but if all metros players were 100% fit and the team was coached properly yes they would be unbeatable. IMO Metro are playing at about 50% of what they are capable of at the moment. The first game of the season against Sturt was a very good game and at that time metro looked as if it was only a week ago that they had played the Grand Final. unfortunately since then it has been a downhill slide.
I don't know if they are playing only 50% but they have been struggling lately and in general they don't seem to play good football (btw first gave was vs Fulham). Nearly every other team I saw play better football. Lots of people have said that, they generally win because they are physical and experienced, plus they are good players. Could be fitness and also other things. But after reading these comments I actually spoke with someone 'very close' to the team and heard that there are some issues there. Will MS be able to 'bend the will' of some of those players?

rocknroll
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by rocknroll »

I don't know if they are playing only 50% but they have been struggling lately and in general they don't seem to play good football (btw first gave was vs Fulham). Nearly every other team I saw play better football. Lots of people have said that, they generally win because they are physical and experienced, plus they are good players. Could be fitness and also other things. But after reading these comments I actually spoke with someone 'very close' to the team and heard that there are some issues there. Will MS be able to 'bend the will' of some of those players?

Yes I agree with this....being physical and experienced can take you some of the way but right now the lack of playing as a team is starting to catch up. This is the coaches responsibility. Agree that the football they play is awful....again coaches responsibilty. You are right ...1st game was against fulham and metro played superbly but alas it has been downhill since then. I dont think its a matter of MS bending the will of some players but rather, making sensible decisions based on players merit rather than silly emotional decisions, and actually coming up with some strategies! instead of the game plan being " to play hard" Seriously! As an example , the other night against City , almost every ball metro put through to attack was directly through the middle with a forward trying to run on to it. Didnt work the first 5 times. Didnt work the first 10 times. Didnt work the first 15 times.......but nothing was said. Coach just sat there and watched them lose. A coach has to have the ability to secure the players confidence and believe in the plan.......however there is no plan!

Fitball
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Fitball »

rocknroll wrote:I don't know if they are playing only 50% but they have been struggling lately and in general they don't seem to play good football (btw first gave was vs Fulham). Nearly every other team I saw play better football. Lots of people have said that, they generally win because they are physical and experienced, plus they are good players. Could be fitness and also other things. But after reading these comments I actually spoke with someone 'very close' to the team and heard that there are some issues there. Will MS be able to 'bend the will' of some of those players?

Yes I agree with this....being physical and experienced can take you some of the way but right now the lack of playing as a team is starting to catch up. This is the coaches responsibility. Agree that the football they play is awful....again coaches responsibilty. You are right ...1st game was against fulham and metro played superbly but alas it has been downhill since then. I dont think its a matter of MS bending the will of some players but rather, making sensible decisions based on players merit rather than silly emotional decisions, and actually coming up with some strategies! instead of the game plan being " to play hard" Seriously! As an example , the other night against City , almost every ball metro put through to attack was directly through the middle with a forward trying to run on to it. Didnt work the first 5 times. Didnt work the first 10 times. Didnt work the first 15 times.......but nothing was said. Coach just sat there and watched them lose. A coach has to have the ability to secure the players confidence and believe in the plan.......however there is no plan!

Well said. I have found this to be the case with all head coaches in the women's league... There's maybe two that are tactically intelligent ... We need more intelligent coaches in the league having said that sometimes it helps to have intelligent players who should be able to do this kind of problem solving with out being told.. After all it's NPL

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

rocknroll wrote:I don't know if they are playing only 50% but they have been struggling lately and in general they don't seem to play good football (btw first gave was vs Fulham). Nearly every other team I saw play better football. Lots of people have said that, they generally win because they are physical and experienced, plus they are good players. Could be fitness and also other things. But after reading these comments I actually spoke with someone 'very close' to the team and heard that there are some issues there. Will MS be able to 'bend the will' of some of those players?

Just to be the devil's advocate here...

Adelaide City were playing a high defensive line and Metro tried to get in behind quickly...until City adjusted this line I would expect a coach to take advantage of this...so I don't think being direct was a bad thing at first.

What I will say is that the tendency to come back inside even when breaking well wide was frustrating to watch. They could've taken a leaf out of Fulham's book on Monday night. A good lesson in counter attacking.