WNPL Grand Finals

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

The Bluehearts
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: WNPL Grand Finals

Post by The Bluehearts »

I did consider going.
Linda Linda

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

united92 wrote:
United We Stand wrote:
billy the kid wrote:I think it's this Friday. Reserves at 6 pm and Prems at 8.15 pm

Metro look set to win the double. A week's rest for the Prems will see off a city side that had to battle through 90 minutes plus 30 minutes of extra time and the penalties.

An early goal to Metro will see city's coach (and the bench) go ballistic. A second my Metro in the second half will see Metro scamp away to a 3-0 win.

Metro doesn't have the fanfare and self-promotion machine of city but its a blueprint (in my humble opinion) of how the women of MUWFC have taken their own destiny into their own hands and have become strong on and off the field. And for the cynics, I am not involved with Metro. I'm someone whom admires their hard work ethic and strong club ethos.

Interesting perspective that you have about Adelaide City. What do you base the "fanfare and self-promotion machine of city (Sic!) on? Where is that coming from? Can you give an example of what you are talking about? You also seem to have issues with the City coach who,admittedly, is "animated." Nothing wrong with that. It takes all types. However, the last laugh is on you as he has won several championships and won Coach of the Year several times.For someone who says that they are not involved with Metro, you sure sound like a fanatical Metro fan and clearly display a biased approach. What you say about Metro's club ethos doesn't correspond with what other clubs and their followers think about your beloved club's ethos. I can assure you that the common belief is very different from yours in that respect!!

P.S Billy you are surely "kidding" about the 3-0 scoreline prediction aren't you? Look at the results between the two sides over this season. Usually there is only a one goal margin either way.
UWS, for a so-called "neutral", all I've ever seen you do is talk up Adelaide City and jump to their defence whenever anyone says anything negative about them. Not the most "neutral" person I've ever seen.

As for the 3-0 scoreline, it wouldn't surprise me if that did happen. Metro not making the Cup Final may have been a blessing in disguise. Week off for Cup Final week, week off after beating City 2 weeks ago in the Qualifying Final... They'll be fresh and have had the time to get players with niggling injuries right.
City on the other hand haven't had a break and are clearly carrying a few injuries. It was quite obvious that both City and Fulham were running out of legs last week, and the game going the full 120 minutes and penalties would have been music to Metro's ears.
Metro by far the better team last night. Completely outplayed City. 4-0 scoreline in the end, could very well have been a few more as well.

How's that 1 goal difference going for you UWS?

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

I think I was right. 3-0 was flattering. 4-0 was a trouncing
billy the kid wrote:Great comments and from where I sit/stand, city have played their final against Fulham and were lucky to have won.

The metro coach walked by and had a wry smile because she knew that whichever team they played they would have the upper hand because of the rest periods in between games. Fulham looked spent after the Cup final and game vs Uni The game city had against Metro failed to rise to any height. No one wanted to score and the end result was a win to Metro. I don't see them playing the same way whilst city WILL be worse form wear. No lucky goals or penalties to save them.

My scoreline is flattering and may be even worse.

The unaligned and unbiased BtK.

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scipio africanus »

billy the kid wrote:I think I was right. 3-0 was flattering. 4-0 was a trouncing
billy the kid wrote:Great comments and from where I sit/stand, city have played their final against Fulham and were lucky to have won.

The metro coach walked by and had a wry smile because she knew that whichever team they played they would have the upper hand because of the rest periods in between games. Fulham looked spent after the Cup final and game vs Uni The game city had against Metro failed to rise to any height. No one wanted to score and the end result was a win to Metro. I don't see them playing the same way whilst city WILL be worse form wear. No lucky goals or penalties to save them.

:D :D

You must be a metro supporter with inside knowledge to be so close to the mark :wink:

Congrats to Metro, who scored 4 high quality goals and could have been more.

Deserved result from a team brimming with talent and who won the league by a bigger margin than last year.

Not sure what happened to City. They looked like they were just going through the motions at times and couldn't wait for the game to end, which is most unusual. After a emphatic victory in the Charity shield, I had them down as favourites for the year, especially given the key players Metro lost to season long injuries and City picking up two lady red players. Lesson there is to ignore pre-season games I guess.

Speaking of Lady reds, how Izzy Scalzi and Ebony Weidenbach don't walk into the lady reds squad beggars belief. Izzy didn't have her best game on Friday but she has proven her talent time and time again. Ebony was a brick wall on the night. Nothing got past her, but if history is to go by, these two, amongst other local players, will be ignored in favour of interstate players who didn't cut the grade in their home state.

Finally, I will pay credit where credit is due, this time to FFSA for putting on a good show and organising a live feed of the game with running commentary. Its a big step up for women's football and this professional approach will pay dividends in the long run.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Hey SA...If only I could other things with such certainty.

My scoreline prediction would have been the same even if it were Fulham. The big game the week before would have taken a lot out of the players on both sides.

I echo your comments about the FFSA and moving forward.
Last edited by billy the kid on Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scipio africanus »

What I have heard is only rumour and that is, all but two spots in the squad remain and to date only two local girls have been signed, the rest interstate and international.

Apparently, a last minute trial has been set up this week for local players. I get the impression this only happened given the sudden change of coach, otherwise having 'trials' when the first game is Nov 5 and the squad hasn't even assembled yet, let alone trained, is a sad joke.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

scipio africanus wrote:What I have heard is only rumour and that is, all but two spots in the squad remain and to date only two local girls have been signed, the rest interstate and international.

Apparently, a last minute trial has been set up this week for local players. I get the impression this only happened given the sudden change of coach, otherwise having 'trials' when the first game is Nov 5 and the squad hasn't even assembled yet, let alone trained, is a sad joke.
The fact that Mark Jones wasn't going to hold trials is absolutely absurd. Adelaide United W-League team is so far on the back foot compared to the rest already it's not funny thanks to that useless idiot. I feel a little bit sorry for Newcastle Jets A-League team with that bloke in charge.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

New thread?

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Is a new thread needed? Possibly however, from my point of view, what does United 92 expect to gain from trials? It's not state or sapsasa where the masses are invited out and thereby starts the month long process of eliminating players.

At the W-League level I expect this to occur:

1) Coaches and relevant AU Reds staff attend as many WNPL games throughout a season;
2) Players identified (or recommended from other sources of information) and a list begins to emerge;
3) Continue to observe those players in their natural playing environment;
4) A list of players in positions will begin to take shape as the season draws to a close;
5) Invite identified players out to trial OR offer contracts (player inevitably select themselves based on their performances throughout the season);

At this level the senior coach is the manager. He's not there to develop the skills of the player. He/She would have picked those players based on their skills and technical expertise. And of course. their ability to be a team player and their coachability. It's like bringing together a national squad. The challenge s to bring together a collective of players that can execute the game plan.

I suspect from those commenters here in, people expect a major announcement of trials so that those not identified throughout the season as players of interest can go out. I ask why? If you aren't in the top echelon of the WNPL and your club team, why do you expect to get a crack at the Reds? The player who feels aggrieved should work their backsides off in pre-season, sacrifice nights out and work on their areas of deficiencies to become the best they can be at club level. Then, if you're what the coach is looking for, you'll get the nod. If not, better luck next time. Look at those that do get the nod and work out what they do to improve themselves. It's never too late. Look at what those players that excel in the competition do and work on your game. You might be surprised at where it will take you.

This is a different level of competition.

I don't know Mark at all however, the comments herein indicate that there is a personal grudge towards him as a coach or what he has done in the past. That I do not know. All I know is if he were still here coaching the Reds and his muscat is on the line re the results his team achieves then I'd expect him to select those players he believes have the qualities to deliver him those results. To think otherwise is naïve.

Princess Fiona
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Princess Fiona »

billy the kid wrote:I think I was right. 3-0 was flattering. 4-0 was a trouncing

BtK - amazing prediction, spot on
Metro smashed City with quality play.
Congrats to metro for a great finals campaign.
Your good friend UWS has been very quiet and slow to praise Metro as the neutral he/she is.

snow white
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by snow white »

:lol:

Given that UWS described anyone tipping more than a 1 goal difference result as ‘you’ve got to be kidding’ AND he posted that
… In fact, I actually think that ALL the clubs with the exception of Metro, have improved playing on the artificial surfaces. Metro also played good football,l but this year's version isn't as good as last year's great team.,
Do you blame him/her for going into hiding? Metro actually increased their points margin to win the league this year as compared to last, despite losing over half of their starting 11 of last years ‘great team’, yet everyone improved bar Metro.

He/Her are either very biased or have no idea ;)

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Let's HUG it out

Let's just say it was a great year that culminated in excellent finals series (WINNER FFSA) and Cup Final (WINNER FFSA) and by scheduling double header games at Excellent venues I can only see the game and the comp going from strength to strength.

Any idea of the crowd at last Friday's game?