The fall of Adelaide City

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

Dandylion
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

The fall of Adelaide City

Post by Dandylion »

Well well well.. the dictator has left the building! and in spectacular fashion! The team is dismantled, no body wants to play or coach there... what a legacy to leave behind.

MuddySocks
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Re: The fall of Adelaide City

Post by MuddySocks »

Please elaborate for us that have no idea what's going on?

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scipio africanus »

The fish rots from the head

terryball
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by terryball »

Dandylion wrote:Well well well.. the dictator has left the building! and in spectacular fashion! The team is dismantled, no body wants to play or coach there... what a legacy to leave behind.

there's a club nth of grand junction rd that could use them.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

The rumours I hear coming out of the ACWFC camp say it's the head coach, the committee and players having no respect for each other.
Seems like the club is falling apart. This may be the end of ACWFC?
The President and the committee of this club must be held accountable for allowing this to happen.
I believe more to come from this.
Finally, does anyone know which clubs the players are heading to.

snow white
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by snow white »

Aside from the walk out of key WNPL players, also hearing quite a few players and coaches from Reserves to u15's are on the move.

City may well struggle to meet the WNPL criteria for 2017.

Who would have thought?

All linked to club culture and club politics no doubt. Changes should have been made 12 months ago from the President.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

Post by United We Stand »

sportsbird wrote:The rumours I hear coming out of the ACWFC camp say it's the head coach, the committee and players having no respect for each other.
Seems like the club is falling apart. This may be the end of ACWFC?
The President and the committee of this club must be held accountable for allowing this to happen.
I believe more to come from this.
Finally, does anyone know which clubs the players are heading to.

I hear that the main source of dissatisfaction is how the Head Coach (And Team Manager) disrespected a number of the players at training and his extraordinary decision to play girls out of their customary positions/strange team selections/ substitutions/tactics. This possibly explains how City, which had the best squad in the NPL (Five key players were selected for the United W-League squad!), ended up without any trophy. I did notice the distinct lack of fight by the City girls in the Grand Final. I was shocked at the time, but it is clear now, that over time, that the Head Coach had "lost the dressing room."

P.S I was confident that City would win the Grand Final, but I had no idea about what was brewing at the club. I was naive and made comments (On this forum) based purely on the quality/ability of the City girls that I had watched all season.
Last edited by United We Stand on Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snow white
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by snow white »

City players are abandoning the club from u15's up. Problem is way deeper than just the head coach losing his dressing room. Normally you would sack the coach to stop the bleeding but players are walking irrespective.

As for final, city's form over previous 5-6 games (winless bar a penalty shootout) should have indicated to all that the team wasn't playing well. The final was a smashing with players on the winning side more than capable of playing w league also given the fact they won the minor title by a bigger margin than the year before.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

snow white wrote:City players are abandoning the club from u15's up. Problem is way deeper than just the head coach losing his dressing room. Normally you would sack the coach to stop the bleeding but players are walking irrespective.

As for final, city's form over previous 5-6 games (winless bar a penalty shootout) should have indicated to all that the team wasn't playing well. The final was a smashing with players on the winning side more than capable of playing w league also given the fact they won the minor title by a bigger margin than the year before.

Yes, you are right about the final. Did you also notice that two girls who are currently in the W-League squad and who had been key regular starting players for a long time, were on the bench? To me. that was another clear sign that all was not well. As for Metro, City were strong enough to beat them earlier in the season and did beat them in the Cup Semi-Final despite what was happening behind the scenes. Player for player, City had the best squad in the league. However, I found myself wondering what was happening with all the changes. The Head Coach had the right formation and tactics earlier in the season and then changed things dramatically. The team was struggling in the last half of the season, but he stubbornly persisted with girls in different positions/strange tactics/substitutions/formations etc.

Snow White, I have only heard what was happening with the senior teams. Do you know why players from the Under 15's are abandoning the club? What are the issues there?

finnidi george
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by finnidi george »

Its called Karma. It couldn't happen to a better club.....................

snow white
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by snow white »

United We Stand wrote:
snow white wrote:City players are abandoning the club from u15's up. Problem is way deeper than just the head coach losing his dressing room. Normally you would sack the coach to stop the bleeding but players are walking irrespective.

Yes, you are right about the final. Did you also notice that two girls who are currently in the W-League squad and who had been key regular starting players for a long time, were on the bench? To me. that was another clear sign that all was not well. As for Metro, City were strong enough to beat them earlier in the season and did beat them in the Cup Semi-Final despite what was happening behind the scenes. Player for player, City had the best squad in the league. However, I found myself wondering what was happening with all the changes. The Head Coach had the right formation and tactics earlier in the season and then changed things dramatically. The team was struggling in the last half of the season, but he stubbornly persisted with girls in different positions/strange tactics/substitutions/formations etc.

Snow White, I have only heard what was happening with the senior teams. Do you know why players from the Under 15's are abandoning the club? What are the issues there?
I'm old school. I judge the best team who who wins the home and away, let alone taking out the final series as well. Judging who is the best team 'on paper' based on who had the most reps in the lady red is shaky ground to the say the least. The local lady reds were selected largely from a group of players who decided to trial, not Adelaide United going out and signing the best players they considered in the league. Even then I thought quality local players were not selected, but that is another discussion.

I remember in pre-season, after the charity shield, virtually everyone was talking up City and WA (including me). From memory, Metro had lost over half their starting 11 for the champion team the year before, but to their credit, they rebuilt and went about their business methodically, peaking at the right time of the year. What City did in June, July etc is irrelevant. They finished 7 points off for the league and got smashed in the finals with a largely full strength team. Who City decided to start and bench, and in what positions, is up to City. You are talking about the same coach you raved about for quite some time and the style of football they played.

As for the current situation, I only hear rumours. Why are coaches and players leaving? Only City can tell you that, but its evident that something is fundamentally wrong with the club culture and the way it is run. This doesn't happen over night, but no doubt a build up over some time and in the absence of hard decisions not being made.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

UWS if you seriously think City had a better squad than Metro in 2016, you're delusional.
Using the "City have players in the W-League squad and Metro don't" argument is bollocks and you know it. Metro should have at least 3, if not more in that squad, and it's absurd that they don't.
As has been said before, players shouldn't have to trial. It's stupid. They've just had a full season of trialling. AU should be going out and signing the best players in the WNPL, not the other way around.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

united92 wrote:UWS if you seriously think City had a better squad than Metro in 2016, you're delusional.
Using the "City have players in the W-League squad and Metro don't" argument is bollocks and you know it. Metro should have at least 3, if not more in that squad, and it's absurd that they don't.
As has been said before, players shouldn't have to trial. It's stupid. They've just had a full season of trialling. AU should be going out and signing the best players in the WNPL, not the other way around.

I definitely agree that the girls should not have to trial and that,by playing in the NPL, they were "trialling" all season. I do believe that Mark Jones did watch the NPL games and made his selections based on that.

My claim that City had the best squad in the league was not only based on the selection of those five girls in the W-League. It was based on their performances and their abilities as players. As I have mentioned, for the first half of the season, City demonstrated that they had the best team/squad with the way they played. Then they had an unprecedented number of injuries/girls unavailable. Despite this, they still inflicted Metro's first league defeat of the season. It all went downhill when the Head Coach started changing positions/tactics etc. I would say that I agree with the adage that, "A champion team will always beat a team of champions." Metro were deserved champions because they stuck together as a team. There were so many games where they were unconvincing, but worked hard together to scrape in with a win. Meanwhile, it was all falling down at City as all the reported "politics" and dissension was happening. My friend at City never revealed what was happening, but he was questioning what was going on.

I do agree that it is perplexing that no Metro girls were selected. I don't know that any more than two or three of them should have been selected, but yes, those Metro girls were deserving of selection. However, I can also say the same about a couple of City girls that weren't selected either. Maybe some of these girls made themselves unavailable. I really don't know.

However, taking everything into consideration, I still feel that City had,at least, the best first eleven in the league with Metro and Fulham just behind them. This is just my opinion of course. I could be wrong. Somebody also put it to me that Fulham had a better squad than Metro. That was her opinion and I respect that view. It is a game of opinions.

snow white
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by snow white »

Stand to be corrected, but bar signing his own daughter and the internationals, the vast majority of the local players signed were not signed by Jones, but in a two week trial period by the new coach, months after the season had finished. Jones I understand, came out one night during the finals to watch two games.

We however digress. This thread is about City and its issues.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

snow white wrote:Stand to be corrected, but bar signing his own daughter and the internationals, the vast majority of the local players signed were not signed by Jones, but in a two week trial period by the new coach, months after the season had finished. Jones I understand, came out one night during the finals to watch two games.

We however digress. This thread is about City and its issues.

You may be right Snow White. I made the assumption that Jones, who has been in Adelaide since early this year, was the one that watched the Women's NPL throughout the year, mainly selected the squad. I did see him at the NPL Finals/Cup Finals at the end of the season. At the very least, he "advised" the new coach, who only had the trials to go on. I don't have any real connection with the United set up or its players, so I can't really offer more than my interpretation of things after watching all the NPL teams this season.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Snow White is right. Jones saw a few games near the end of the season. Worked with a few girls he invited out to NYL trainings after Cup final in September. Then he left- trials with girls nominated by prems coaches proceeded under Jones' NYL assistant. In fact some girls were cut during this time. Then Huss came out and basically had two weeks to pick a team. Hadn't seen any WNPL games. Some girls who didn't come to trial until Huss arrived made the squad and some who had been there all along didn't. Not the usual process to be sure. Huss has a way he wants to play and has selected the players that he felt would help him achieve that. Horses for courses, as they say.

I think it's important to support the team that's been selected and get behind the girls. It's vital for the future of women's professional football- to honour the women who have done the hard yards before and provide a professional pathway for today's girls. COYLR

As for the fall of Adelaide City- they're a strong club organisation. I'm sure they'll be fine in the post-Eduardo era different, but fine.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

juniorsupporter wrote:Snow White is right. Jones saw a few games near the end of the season. Worked with a few girls he invited out to NYL trainings after Cup final in September. Then he left- trials with girls nominated by prems coaches proceeded under Jones' NYL assistant. In fact some girls were cut during this time. Then Huss came out and basically had two weeks to pick a team. Hadn't seen any WNPL games. Some girls who didn't come to trial until Huss arrived made the squad and some who had been there all along didn't. Not the usual process to be sure. Huss has a way he wants to play and has selected the players that he felt would help him achieve that. Horses for courses, as they say.

I think it's important to support the team that's been selected and get behind the girls. It's vital for the future of women's professional football- to honour the women who have done the hard yards before and provide a professional pathway for today's girls. COYLR

As for the fall of Adelaide City- they're a strong club organisation. I'm sure they'll be fine in the post-Eduardo era different, but fine.

Thanks for that information Junior Supporter. You are obviously closer to the Adelaide United W-League set up than me or you have a daughter/friend's daughter that is involved at the Lady Reds. If Huss has picked this team from the two week trialling period, he has done well. There are only a few selections that are a surprise. Many of the NPL "Team of the Year" that I selected on this forum purely on the basis of their performances and ability over the entire season, have been included in his squad.

P.S Is it official that Eduardo is no longer at City? I have heard rumours that he was sacked, but they were just rumours. Does that mean that the Assistant coaches are also out?

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

No idea. Just proceeding on what others have speculated. If or when Eduardo leaves, and no matter how many players leave in a year, because of their strong club structure City will be fine. It's when there's a mass exodus, loss of coach and a poor organisation that things get serious.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Juniorsupporter,
The information from several Adelaide City club supporters and players is that there was never been a culture and will never be one while the same people involved remain in the club.
These people are only interested in themselves and caused a lot of rift among players.
Junior, to say that Adel City will be fine is nonsense. They are in a complete mess.
From a reliable source, Adelaide City will not be able to meet the criteria set by the FFSA by the amount of players leaving te club. The club is decimated.
However, the only way Adel City will remain in the WNPL is treated the same way Sturt got into to the league by just issuing a fine and deducting three points.
Now is the time for the FFSA to intervene and get their act together and avoid another club from folding.

BlueForever
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by BlueForever »

I have heard Paul Pezos is new coach at City, any confirmation.

BeNatural
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BeNatural »

Edoardo Rosso departs Adelaide City Women's FC

http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page ... D=50258472

After more than a decade of service to Adelaide City FC Women’s Football, Edoardo Rosso has announced his retirement from the club.

His eleven-year tenure as Head Coach and the guiding force behind so much player development and on field achievement has produced much success, and now Rosso will leave the club to take up a new role in his professional life.

Passion for football was with Rosso from a very young age, it was part of growing up in Italy.

When he came to Australia, he wanted to continue his football involvement in a new way and began coaching women’s and girls’ teams, going on to coach at club, school and state level.

In 2003 he joined Sturt Marion where he coached for two years, before progressing to Adelaide City in 2005, guiding the Black and White’s for 11 seasons.

During this period, he has successfully coached the Premier League team to five Premier League titles, two FFSA Cups and six Charity Cups.

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

BlueForever wrote:I have heard Paul Pezos is new coach at City, any confirmation.
Diaz Obieglo the reserves coach. Futsal background.