Sturt Marion to close up shop

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

Dandylion
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Sturt Marion to close up shop

Post by Dandylion »

Expect to hear officially with in the next week or so, Sturt Marion to announce a fold

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Sturt Marion to close up shop

Post by scipio africanus »

Whilst I have no doubt the club faces serious issues, we've been told of sturts imminent demise before, not for it to eventuate.

Irrespective of what happens, FFSA TAKE NOTE. Do not let a repeat of last season's debacle of knowingly admitting clubs who didn't meet the WNPL criteria to enter the league, get in via the back door with a slap on the wrist.

MuddySocks
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by MuddySocks »

Does this mean a potential promotion for any of the SL clubs?

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

MuddySocks wrote:Does this mean a potential promotion for any of the SL clubs?
What's the bets that Para Hills stays up now?

magicfootball1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by magicfootball1 »

Good luck with that,
Knights will struggle too, all the quality is gone by the looks, my daughter went out to trials( against my advice), what a joke!

Barely anyone there, and the coaching looks ordinary
Committee are non supportive and hiding the fees, number of times asked and no response, figures of 700 to 800 ? that women chairman thinks you can be a "brand" and demand high fees to pay for the men - good luck.
Then i asked around, apparently girls get old clothing and the boys new brand ( that brand again :) so much for everyone getting the same, hand me downs! what joke of a club, they don't deserve women's, no wonder they struggled if no support this year, probably why most of the good people have left from what most parents are saying.

ah well clubs rise and fall, be interesting to see what comes out of the wash.

Shankland
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Shankland »

Knights and Salisbury Inter has exchanged players.

Many of the Knights went to Inter.
Knights picked up Inter coach and some of the players.

Knights looking to bring the 2017 fees for junior girls in line with junior boys $800. 2016 Seniors fees were around the $550 mark for both men & women.

magicfootball1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by magicfootball1 »

Shankland wrote:Knights and Salisbury Inter has exchanged players.

Many of the Knights went to Inter.
Knights picked up Inter coach and some of the players.

Knights looking to bring the 2017 fees for junior girls in line with junior boys $800. 2016 Seniors fees were around the $550 mark for both men & women.
wow!

No Lies
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by No Lies »

Rumours are an amazing thing especially when coming from disgruntled people. From what I hear Knights fees have only increased by a maximum of $50, maybe players left the club in search of playing in the WNPL, if the Knights do go up I hope that they play the girls/women that remained loyal to the club and came back regardless of demotion into the State League.

Lovethegame
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Lovethegame »

magicfootball1 wrote:
Good luck with that,
Knights will struggle too, all the quality is gone by the looks, my daughter went out to trials( against my advice), what a joke!

Committee are non supportive and hiding the fees, number of times asked and no response, figures of 700 to 800 ? that women chairman thinks you can be a "brand" and demand high fees to pay for the men - good luck.
Then i asked around, apparently girls get old clothing and the boys new brand ( that brand again :) so much for everyone getting the same, hand me downs! what joke of a club, they don't deserve women's, no wonder they struggled if no support this year, probably why most of the good people have left from what most parents are saying.

Its interesting that the 1 night you attended the Knights try outs the turnout was actually really good and in line with last years tryouts.
The pity here is that you have made comments regarding the coaches being ORDINARY when Paul has just coached Inter to the NPL and literally had just received the State League coach of the year and Mark had just coached the U17s to both a Premiership win and Cup win.
While your daughter went to the trials "against your advice" you were happy to share that you were there "just to be nosy" with others.
As for the girls receiving hand me downs I don't know where you got your info from but what has been decided is that since the club had so many girls/women's purchase all new merchandise in 2016 and that all our strips are still in such good condition it would be silly to change the brand in 2017.
Obviously the boys/men's teams will need to order new strips due to damage,sponsorship and league changes. Due to problems with stocking the previous brand it was decided to change clothing brands.
Your fee information is also incorrect as the women's fees are $600 for the year for senior players, fees were never HIDDEN as such just took awhile to resolve.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

This should not have happened.
The FFSA knew Sturt Marion were in difficulties last year and due to someone's conflict of interest allowed to enter the new WNPL.
The FFSA represenatative who allowed Sturt to enter the WNPL should be held accountable and sacked.
They cost several State league clubs who had met te criteria to miss out.
I said this last year that this was going to happen but I was crucified by the people who did not believe me.
Again, The FFSA will sweep this under the carpet.
What I would like to know if any representative from the FFSA have attended any clubs in the state league or the WNPL to monitor the clubs progress for the future of Women's Football.
I would say zilch.
I guess while you have the status quo running the womens league nothing will change.
In the business corporate world, the management teams change approx every three years to allow new ideas etc.
Say no more.

The Offside Trap
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by The Offside Trap »

Lovethegame wrote:
magicfootball1 wrote:
Good luck with that,

Its interesting that the 1 night you attended the Knights try outs the turnout was actually really good and in line with last years tryouts.
The pity here is that you have made comments regarding the coaches being ORDINARY when Paul has just coached Inter to the NPL and literally had just received the State League coach of the year and Mark had just coached the U17s to both a Premiership win and Cup win.
While your daughter went to the trials "against your advice" you were happy to share that you were there "just to be nosy" with others.
As for the girls receiving hand me downs I don't know where you got your info from but what has been decided is that since the club had so many girls/women's purchase all new merchandise in 2016 and that all our strips are still in such good condition it would be silly to change the brand in 2017.
Obviously the boys/men's teams will need to order new strips due to damage,sponsorship and league changes. Due to problems with stocking the previous brand it was decided to change clothing brands.
Your fee information is also incorrect as the women's fees are $600 for the year for senior players, fees were never HIDDEN as such just took awhile to resolve.
It's great to see when people like magicfootball1 are put back in their place for continuously trying to stir up shite.
Lovethegame, thanks for clarifying all of the above.

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

I'm surprised PHK fees are going up, even though its only by $50 - the costs of State League are much lower then those involved in WNPL, affiliation fee alone is $1200 cheaper. At $600 surely the most expensive in the state league and you'd think they would lower the cost from last year to reward the players hanging around to try and win their place back and attract new ones.

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

On the note of the topic though, hope Sturt can pull themselves together and work hard in the off season to attract new players/teams/helpers.

magicfootball1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by magicfootball1 »

Your fee information is also incorrect as the women's fees are $600 for the year for senior players, fees were never HIDDEN as such just took awhile to resolve.[/quote]

It's great to see when people like magicfootball1 are put back in their place for continuously trying to stir up shite.
Lovethegame, thanks for clarifying all of the above.[/quote]

ah really, what ever floats your boat.

Don't have to justify anything, simply asked got a no response from person on the day. Maybe if you actually told people upfront on the day rather than "announcing no questions on the fees for trials", then have parents who actually have been at the club explain to me, gives a poor light on the club i feel. Also you telling me the fees are now $600 for? two strips, home and away, socks and shorts and polo top , training bag or tracksuit ? or is what people have stated , $600 gets you last years strips and ? most clubs are up front about the fees and structure is what im pointing out, im not paying for my daughter fees if i have no idea what they get

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Sturt officially gone.

Makes an even bigger mockery of last summer's WNPL criteria fiasco. Everyone knew that Sturt was in dire straits except the very people who should have known.

Anyway, who comes up now to replace Sturt and what happens to the State League?

Brewie
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Brewie »

Sturt Marion were never in dire straights. They just have no one who is willing to do any work to keep the club running.

The music has stopped and the chairs are vacant. The few that were left have bolted for the exit door.

They are probably thinking it is a lot easier to take their daughter to another club rather than doing any work to keep Sturt Marion going.

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Brewie wrote:Sturt Marion were never in dire straights. They just have no one who is willing to do any work to keep the club running.

The music has stopped and the chairs are vacant. The few that were left have bolted for the exit door.

They are probably thinking it is a lot easier to take their daughter to another club rather than doing any work to keep Sturt Marion going.
Sturt Marion were never in dire straights.

Really? They just folded for good :D

Sturt Marion's demise was predicted well over a year ago on this very forum.

They never met the WNPL criteria for 2016 from the moment they applied for it and the discussions to that effect are well documented. Everyone knew it and Sturt lied until the start of the season, then came out telling the truth that they didn't meet the criteria, knowing full well they would cop a slap on the wrist at that point.

Sad state of affairs from a club that has long ties to women's football but was poorly administered in the final years.

Brewie
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Brewie »

They have not folded. They have been taken over by Cove.

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Brewie wrote:They have not folded. They have been taken over by Cove.
Brewie, Sturt NO LONGER EXIST. They have folded. Sure some players have moved to the Cove, but the Cove are a totally different club who would need to apply for admission in the WNPL or State League on their own merits.

Brewie
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Brewie »

We can debate the semantics. Cove have taken over. The chairman of Cove has emailed all the parents and players of Sturt Marion this morning.

Junior teams will continue on under Cove and will train and play at the same Sturt Marion facility.

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Brewie wrote:We can debate the semantics. Cove have taken over. The chairman of Cove has emailed all the parents and players of Sturt Marion this morning.

Junior teams will continue on under Cove and will train and play at the same Sturt Marion facility.
There are no semantics, just facts.

If ffsa had recognized a formal takeover then the cove would be in the WNPL today.

Instead, in a formal communication from ffsa, not a single mention of the cove, confirmation that sturt had withdrawn all their teams and invitation to all clubs to apply for the vacant WNPL spot and state league.

Clearly the ruling body does not agree with your version of 'takeover', if there was anything left to take.

Brewie
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Brewie »

Legally you are correct. In pragmatic terms you are incorrect.

Next season the same junior girls will be playing at the same venue with the same coaches and the key difference is they will be called Cove instead of Sturt Marion. Takeover, merger, adoption, absorption, subsumed, transition, call it whatever you like.

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Brewie wrote:Legally you are correct. In pragmatic terms you are incorrect.

Next season the same junior girls will be playing at the same venue with the same coaches and the key difference is they will be called Cove instead of Sturt Marion. Takeover, merger, adoption, absorption, subsumed, transition, call it whatever you like.
Yes, we can call them whatever we like, but not Sturt Marion and not in the WNPL :D