WNPL - The Season Begins

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

WNPL - The Season Begins

Post by Lucas Leiva »

Well that came quickly.

The season begins on Friday night and we have some tantalising clashes to kick it all off.

West Adelaide v Adelaide University
Both sides have seemed to recruit well, and this could potentially shape as the most exciting match of the round. There seems to be a good mix of players from last season complemented with some youth and some solid new faces, this could be an early indication if one or the other have Top 2 material.

Adelaide City v Fulham United
A bit of a marquee match given the final third of the season. Will Fulham continue the upward trajectory that yield the Cup and a 3rd place finish, or will City recover under new management to be a force to reckon with again? Intrigued to see how this match plays out.

Cumberland United v Metro United
Cumberland survived the relegation playoff in 2016 so know that a lot work had to be done over the off-season. Nothing like the strongest test to kick it all off, with the reigning champs early favourites to take the title again. It will be great to see Cumberland last the distance in this fixture as it will show the field evening out in 2017 if so.

Campbelltown City v Salisbury Inter
The two new sides make their WNPL debut against a familiar opponent. Campbelltown seem to have quite a young side, whereas Inter have a mix of experience among their ranks. It will be interesting to see how up to speed both sides are but I don't think either will struggle significantly. You would imagine Inter may get off to the stronger start whereas Campbelltown may thrive later in the season.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

Re: WNPL - The Season Begins

Post by United We Stand »

Good luck to all the teams in South Australian WNPL. I hope that the WNPL builds on the exciting entertainment that the Adelaide United W-League team gave us. Welcome to Campbelltown City and Salisbury Inter. It should be a great season under the tutelage of excellent coaches like Pezos,Santrac,McCormick, Goddard,Primaro et al. I hope that everybody supports the girls on Friday nights at Adelaide Shores and Elite Systems Football Centre. This format at the two venues certainly improved the standard of football and this season promises to be the best ever. It will be interesting to see how the new teams fare and how the local girls that played in the W-League go/how much they have improved for the experience. I certainly will be there every round and can't wait for the action to begin.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

All the best to all the teams. May there be no serious injuries to any players.

Play Fair and Play by the Rules. Players and administrators and coaches alike.

All the best to the match officials.

Elite Systems is now a dirty word guys. It’s now the Parks Sports Centre. Elite have gone AWOL

There are some excellent match ups for round one. Yes many new recruits for the established clubs. New coaches and welcome the WNPL Salisbury Inter and Campbelltown.

For me, this is my analysis on which team will finish at the season’s end.:

1 - Metro will set the bar once again. Stability on and off the field will serve them well. top spot awaits and coach Marie will see them remain a FORCE. Can’t say they will get challenged for top spot and it will be there from round 1.

2 – West Adelaide – Kevin has another season under his belt and will no doubt want to make amends for his club’s points deduction scandal that saw them miss final’s action. Key signings will see them though. Composure and sportsmanship on the field will be their challenge.

3 - City has a new coach and has lost a few good players...the captain is one of them. Will the playing group gel and consolidate under the enigmatic Pezos and win the required games? Di Bartolo has re-joined the team. Good to see. Clinging onto third spot will be a challenge.

4– Campbelltown. I see this team make the top 4. Lots of unknowns YES. But we do know Campbelltown always produces a good quality player and game. Will this current foray into the WNPL be the Leicester City of the season ?

5- Adelaide Uni is definitely one dimensional and what a dimension the young sensational forward Cote is. Opposition clubs will need to play her smart and put their best marking player on her. Do this and Uni will struggle. Hopefully team cohesion returns after some concerning on field interactions between players and coach Tracey.

6 and 7 – Throw blanket over Salisbury Inter and Fulham. Both sides have plusses and minuses however Fulham has lost quite a few competent and experienced players. The inclusion of the new has been good but they will field a young side with some experienced heads to top it off. Max is back and I will never underestimate the old campaigner. Salisbury under Santrac will deliver an exceptionally skilled team. I hear MJ is lining up for them.

8 – Cumby. Lucky to have remained in the WNPL. Good bunch of triers and let’s hope they don’t get the wooden spoon. Someone has to.

cg1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by cg1 »

Great to have NPL back on again, looking forward to Friday.

I think it will be very close in the top 5 and the bottom 3 will be quite separate.

Metro, City, WA, Uni and Fulham while Inter, Cumby and Campbelltown fight it out to avoid relegation.

MJ played for Campbelltown on Sunday in their 7:1 trial game win over Comets, as I recall MJ put in 5 or 4 for those goals and provided assists for a couple more.
Big signing for Campbelltown.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Cheers cg1.

And for the update on MJ. The journeyman continues her quest. Thought she was playing footy?

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Chasing $$$'s ???

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

Good luck to all teams - battle of the elite players versus those who have young developing players .

Lets hope there is not too much difference between the top 4 and bottom 4, for the sake of the competition.

Will be interesting to see how former Para Hills players perform under Santrac - rumour is the former Matildas coach managed to sign an interstate W League keeper ?

Bring it on.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

I think what I saw of Para Hills last year, player development and emerging taken really came good at season's end. I think another year in the prems would have seen a more consistent effort with a rise up the ladder.

I'm intrigued. Ex Matildas keeper coming to SA. Flies in the face of players leaving SA for Vic.

Bring it on indeed.

Mr Red....Money in WNPL? That's good question. Another topic maybe. What Remuneration for WNPL players is being offered or provided around the league? I have been flummoxed at what some clubs are paying or offering to pay or waive for players. All I can say is if clubs are wavering on what to pay their players or offering to pay then they are well and truly behind the 8 BALL. Procrastinate at your peril.

RAP300
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by RAP300 »

Sian Mclaren has apparently moved to Salisbury.

xoxogossipgoat
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by xoxogossipgoat »

considering how Salisbury inter matched up against a strong metro team last Friday night I would suggest they are going to be a competitive team. Only losing 2:1 with ample opportunities to even the score. Definitely a team to look out for!

Hydration Officer
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Hydration Officer »

I wouldn't worry too much about trial games get a better idea when the real stuff starts.

Lot of positive comments on here hopefully the teams that are relying on youthful exuberance will not be too intimated by the clubs who have recruited elite players.
It does not matter who is playing for whom, it will be who turns up on the night.
Good luck all teams

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

billy the kid wrote:I think what I saw of Para Hills last year, player development and emerging taken really came good at season's end. I think another year in the prems would have seen a more consistent effort with a rise up the ladder.

I'm intrigued. Ex Matildas keeper coming to SA. Flies in the face of players leaving SA for Vic.

Bring it on indeed.

Mr Red....Money in WNPL? That's good question. Another topic maybe. What Remuneration for WNPL players is being offered or provided around the league? I have been flummoxed at what some clubs are paying or offering to pay or waive for players. All I can say is if clubs are wavering on what to pay their players or offering to pay then they are well and truly behind the 8 BALL. Procrastinate at your peril.

former Matildas coach not player.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Yes.. sorry. Ex Matildas coach...W League Keeper Macca comes to Salisbury. Good get SI.