womens teams everywhere

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

bradman
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

womens teams everywhere

Post by bradman »

Isn't it fantastic all the new women's team next year !!! forgive me for being the conspiracy theorist. where have the 100 plus women needed been hiding for the last 5 years or are clubs turning their male cannibalistic practices to the women's game?

or could it be that the male dominate clubs don't really have any intention for women's team but their lust is over the 40 million on offer for facility improvements.

Can someone please me tell what a female friendly change room is ( no urinals i accept ). other than that we all shower standing up and a white board is a white board.

Political correctness wins again. Lets put it down together and bring sports back into the world where real people live and love living in it.

I fully support women's football but read I recommend they read the small print before you get into bed as 1 in 3 marriages fail.

so that means 2 out of 3 clubs are only after the $$$$

but the one that lasts is magic and its not always to the biggest most beautiful - beauty is skin deep only

I wish u all the best as marriages are formed and I remind you that the pain of failure is only beaten by the feeling of putting yourself out there and stand up again as the one true success a PREMIERSHIP and EQUALITY = 1 club = all reference to gender removed from clubs constitution = WE ARE 1

bradman
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: womens teams everywhere

Post by bradman »

Olympic
Western Strikers
Salisbury Utd
White City
Noarlunga/Sth United
Northern Demons

say no more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

this clubs have no respect for women let along women's football

just a cash grab disgusting

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Bradman I'm trying to establish what your angle is i.e. pro or anti women's movement or is it a criticism of the local clubs jumping into bed with the women's game only to get to the pot of gold? I'll give my reply however, please excuse me if I've got it wrong.

I think there is worthiness in the debate and I do suspect cynicism...grab for cash no doubt however, the intentions will be exposed. A-League clubs including AUFC are tokenistic in their support for the women's sport. Locally, the clubs that do have women affiliated do, in large, get behind the girls/worms and lead from the front. Is it at the level of equality? Probably not because it's just the way it is in soccer.

AFL and SANFL/WAFL etc are leaders in equality and inclusiveness and the local clubs and the A-LEAGUE team s (Especially AUFC) need to realise that the W-League are not an afterthought and should (deserve) equal billing. And it’s not just about accessing the $$$$$$$$$$$.

Change rooms are change rooms for sure. The issue is in years gone by (read past media stories in 2016) that there are many stories about girls/women changing in toilets and cars and were always shoved out of change rooms if the boys or men were playing. What I have seen around the place is equality in access to facilities. The Parks and West Beach are good examples. Friday night double headers etc have elevated the game to another level. So it goes beyond PC and facilities it’s about providing a physical reminder of "we're here to play football. Gender or racer has no relevance"!!! It’s about becoming the best player you can in your competition. Striving to be the best.

Yes it may be tapping into the $$$ and thereafter making sure it benefits the club as a whole however, isn’t that the way it should be? Melbourne City was lauded for its facilities and the W-League team was over the moon with access to the training and rehab facilities at Melbourne City….Sadly, it did not eventuate as expected and the W-League team were restricted in when and what it could access. That is sad and poor.

Rascal21
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Rascal21 »

I don't take the angle you have Bradman in regards to the men's clubs exploiting the $$$ available for the women's comp, however, i am concerned about where all these players are going to come from.

Speaking to the Federation the other day, i know a lot of these clubs are going straight into State League (SL) and Div 1. Where have these players been for the last few years???? We have a current team in SL who have apparently recruited 15 players from WNPL and other SL teams for next year, and now we have 6 more teams that are coming into this space.....

All new clubs must have 50% new players, are we going to have another repeat of the SL fiasco this year with Div 5 players playing in SL???? How does this help our game and encourage girls to improve????

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

bradman wrote:male cannibalistic practices to the women's game?

or could it be that the male dominate clubs don't really have any intention for women's team but their lust is over the 40 million on offer for facility improvements.
Why the need for such a sexist comment?

Are you also saying that there is $40 million on offer to women only?

MuddySocks
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by MuddySocks »

Rascal21 wrote:We have a current team in SL who have apparently recruited 15 players from WNPL and other SL teams for next year?
and what team would that be? cause i'd have to see that to believe it :lol:

funkypet
In Memory of Dylan Tombides
In Memory of Dylan Tombides

Post by funkypet »

Clarification - men's clubs who are in/enter NPL are required to have a women's team? For the eastern states this is true.

Not sure if this is a criteria directed from FFA and if so timeframe for implementing.

I was told last week Metrostars were looking to put in a womens team in 2018. Maybe they should have treated the women better all those years ago.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

funkypet wrote:Clarification - men's clubs who are in/enter NPL are required to have a women's team? For the eastern states this is true.

Not sure if this is a criteria directed from FFA and if so timeframe for implementing.

I was told last week Metrostars were looking to put in a womens team in 2018. Maybe they should have treated the women better all those years ago.
Used to play at a club that "ground shared" with Metro's womens team. The way they acted, I doubt it was all the men's teams fault.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

God is an Englishman wrote:
funkypet wrote:Clarification - men's clubs who are in/enter NPL are required to have a women's team? For the eastern states this is true.

Used to play at a club that "ground shared" with Metro's womens team. The way they acted, I doubt it was all the men's teams fault.
Do tell...

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

nathanburns15 wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:

Do tell...
Well I was at a previous club who ground shared with them and they didn't behave very well, quite arrogantly in fact.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

If you consider standing up to the people at the club (male and female) that the Prems women were being relegated to the back paddocks at TK Shutter to train AND being below junior boys in the pecking order of priority is in anyway shape of form acting inappropriately then I for one applaud their stance. Poor effort on the part of that club. And no I am not a past or present member of the MUWFC however, the little I saw and heard made me feel ashamed.

Anyway, the topic is about women's teams everywhere. The best thing about sport is that it should be inclusive sadly though, established male centric soccer clubs haven't all quite embraced the girls/women's game and that the hierarchy at the clubs usually places them well below junior boys. Why? It's always been that way. Is it right? You tell me.

The emergence of clubs willing to establish a women's comp is long overdue and will be well received whatever the league they may be playing in. Is it because of the finding dollars that are on offer ? Maybe. However, I hope that any funding is swallowed up to refurb the blokes facilities and that there are checks and balances are in place to ensure the facilities are appropriate and exclusive to the needs of the girls/women. Seems only fair otherwise we will not see the benefits the funding was intended to deliver. As a taxpayer I would expect that this occurs.

Also, the AFL-W and SANFL women’s competitions are “encouraging” soccer clubs to get their acts together and become far more inclusive.

RAP300
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by RAP300 »

bradman wrote:Isn't it fantastic all the new women's team next year !!! forgive me for being the conspiracy theorist. where have the 100 plus women needed been hiding for the last 5 years or are clubs turning their male cannibalistic practices to the women's game?

Can someone please me tell what a female friendly change room is ( no urinals i accept ). other than that we all shower standing up and a white board is a white board.

Political correctness wins again. Lets put it down together and bring sports back into the world where real people live and love living in it.

I fully support women's football but read I recommend they read the small print before you get into bed as 1 in 3 marriages fail.

so that means 2 out of 3 clubs are only after the $$$$

but the one that lasts is magic and its not always to the biggest most beautiful - beauty is skin deep only

I wish u all the best as marriages are formed and I remind you that the pain of failure is only beaten by the feeling of putting yourself out there and stand up again as the one true success a PREMIERSHIP and EQUALITY = 1 club = all reference to gender removed from clubs constitution = WE ARE 1

Look at the guidelines.
http://www.ors.sa.gov.au/funding/apply_ ... es_program

Hydration Officer
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Hydration Officer »

Just a couple of topics for sensible ( hopefully ) discussion, now that the season is over.

Is there an issue with loyalty with some players /coaches in women's football ?
Just asking the question, with the amount of players and coaches continually changing clubs with the possibility of winning a trophy and maybe financial compensation in some cases.
Nothing more frustrating than spending many hours developing a player, only to have another club lure her away from you, then take the credit for her development.
There use to be ruling that if a new club was starting up they were were only allowed a very few players from other clubs, the new team had to be made up of a big percentage ( 75% ) of new players. The only way a new club could sign previously registered players, is if that club folded.
Looking at a couple of teams in the junior competition, I am guessing that rule is no longer in place ?

Now I am reading how a coach is involved with two different women's clubs, will be interesting to see how that works, good luck for trying something different. One question, if this caretaker/mentor coach has a new player who is looking for a club, which club is going to sign her up ? .
Feel free to comment or correct me if I am wrong.

Leppskiii
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Leppskiii »

If you had the opportunity to play at the same level and make money out of it why would you not? Especially depending on what point of your career you are at?
Men would most certainly move for the same reasons more often I would imagine.
"Just ask yourself, have you hugged your goalkeeper today?"

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Agreed Lepps- men move clubs all the time (ask any NPL coach), for a variety of reasons, and there's little if any discussion of 'loyalty'.

Women move for many of the same reasons that men do- I think it's important to differentiate whether we're talking about WNPL, or social divisions, because the reasons tend to be different. Women at the WNPL level may move because they're not getting along with a coach or they want to follow one, they want more pitch time, more money, or they want to improve their chances of playing at a higher level. If you're young and having to pay your own way, not having to pay fees is a big deal- and earning a little every week, as is happening at some clubs now, can at least cover petrol.

At the social level I imagine it's more about convenience, who they are playing with and how much they're enjoying it, as there is no money at the social level.

Some WNPL players are loyal to clubs but if a player is truly aspirational it's not always possible.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Good discussions (and sensible) however, loyalty to a club has been an issue over the years however, I think the reasons for movements (sometimes) between clubs is not for those reasons that existed 5 plus years ago. Yes in the early days social aspects of the game was a key factor in player movement.

Nowadays with the increased professionalism of clubs in WNPL and promotion and relegation a part of the WNPL and the calibre of coaches and players coming through, there is a greater demand for clubs to provide the environment to foster player development and possible promotion to the W-League etc etc.

This also means that player selection at club land is a far more serious thing and that coaches are selecting (not poaching) players they see as having the qualities to deliver their game plan. Lots of the movement is coming about because some players are demanding more and will move from clubs that are probably a bit off the mark. Is remuneration a key deriver? I would think it is but hey, welcome to the new world.

You will find that the days where WNPL clubs have players that have been around forever and are just plodding along are dead and buried the WNPL is a delay serious business. The social divisions are now set up for them to continue to play the sport they love however, WNPL is not that place.

Also word of mouth is also that drives change. Do the right thing at the club and provide the high level of professionalism required then the players will stay or come.

somedays
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by somedays »

bradman wrote:Olympic
Western Strikers
Salisbury Utd
White City
Noarlunga/Sth United
Northern Demons

say no more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

this clubs have no respect for women let along women's football

just a cash grab disgusting

I can tell you that Salisbury Utd are not using Women as a cash grab, the move to the new facility means that they can now reintroduce women as promised to Bob Bush, who's strong history is with Salisbury United and the women's league. Salisbury United's reintroduction of women is in respect to his wishes and those of the club's history