Lady Reds - Wooden Spooners

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Lady Reds - Wooden Spooners

Post by sportsbird »

Never did I think we would be bottom of the ladder this season. Definately something wrong.
The issue are simple.
1. AUWFC board should be held accountable for the poor season and the appointment of Ivan as Head Coach.
2. Ivan should be also held accountable for poor player selection and poor coaching.
3. AUWFC Board not taking the womens comp seriously and not investing more money into the lady reds. It's sad when the head coach tells his players that we are heading into melbourne to play Melbourne City on the same day as we do not have the budget to stay overnight. That's great.
Where do we go from here?

alwaysoffside
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Lady Reds - Wooden Spooners

Post by alwaysoffside »

sportsbird wrote:Never did I think we would be bottom of the ladder this season. Definately something wrong.
The issue are simple.
1. AUWFC board should be held accountable for the poor season and the appointment of Ivan as Head Coach.
2. Ivan should be also held accountable for poor player selection and poor coaching.
3. AUWFC Board not taking the womens comp seriously and not investing more money into the lady reds. It's sad when the head coach tells his players that we are heading into melbourne to play Melbourne City on the same day as we do not have the budget to stay overnight. That's great.

One issue not raised but should be is pkayers commitment to team and club.
Fair enough to point out AU maybe not taking it’s commitments seriously, but surely it’s a two way
street.
How committed were some players in regard to pursuing other sports.
Although did hear that Gulum not playing this weekend for AU as he is playing in Port Adelaide trial match V Magpies with Kutz blessings

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

sportsbird wrote:Never did I think we would be bottom of the ladder this season. Definately something wrong.
The issue are simple.
I think that if the Womens game can be managed better by others the license should be relinquished by AUFC.

If Canberra can run a team without an ALeague club to prop them up surely it can be done here.
It's all in the Delivery!

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

Another topic to criticise Ivan from sportsbird. I do wonder if there is an agenda here.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

nathanburns15 wrote:Another topic to criticise Ivan from sportsbird. I do wonder if there is an agenda here.
Nathanburns15,
Im not sure what your trying to suggest but I will refer back to my comments in July 2017,
As you can see from my comment below, I was excited that Ivan was appointed as head coach of the lady reds. I was looking forward to positive change to our lady reds and for the supporters.
However, nothing changed from last season but even worst we have gone backwards. Unfortunately, Ivan has not produced the expectations I had of him and found he lacked the understanding of the style and emotions of female footballers.
So to suggest I had a hidden agenda is false and condescending. All I want is to see South Australian football thrive whether its the WNPL or the lady reds.
At the moment, the support for women's football is still poor.
But, the standard in the WNPL is improving immensely. Really great to see.

"What a great appointment. Ivan Karlovic is the best choice to go forward with the Lady Reds and well into the future.
Ivan is a fantastic communicator and well respected. Ivan has a great football brain and has the skills and knowledge to pass down to the lady reds.
Since Ivan's appointment, there has been a big buzz within the women's football circle. Adelaide United F/C should be applauded for appointing the right person as Head coach. AUWFC also made the right decision not to appoint any previous coaches who were involved with the lady reds in the past.
What I hear coming out of AUWFC is that Ivan will be recruiting young experienced players from the WNPL to develop for the long term rather than short term. There have been too many turnovers of players in the past who have not succeeded or have secured their position. Ivan will be looking at balancing the squad with a mixture of youth and incorporating with senior interstate/overseas players.
Women's football in SA will now be heading in the right direction."

On a brighter note, the FFSA have made a fantastic decision and appointed a great and motivated person to overlook the women's Football.
I believe Wendy and co have been moved on to another area.
So far the schedules have been produced earlier than I can remember for a long time and this was done by one person instead of two in the past. I continue to hear positive comments from various clubs about the services provided by this person.
FFSA well done and hope for more positives to come.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Again I think we're all in her because WE CARE. We are embarrassed about being bottom. And we want to assist.
I watched the game last evening and I think the result (as was last time they payed Brisbane) flattered them.

Brisbane were dominating and if not from Willacy’s brilliant work in goals, the results could have been worse. The AUFC defence is a concern. Disconnect between defence, mids and forwards. The distinct lack of ability (apart from Colaprico) to cross a ball with any intent is bloody shame. Where have the pinpoint crosses gone?

They are the exception rather than the rule.

If not for our imports (USA) where else are the goals coming from? Emily was the only one attacking with intent and made great strikes including one that came to her because of a poor attempt at a cross into the box. A poor execution of skill could have ended in a goal. This is not good enough.

I suspect Ivan was asked to fill in because Huss departed (or moved aside). Being an assistant the AUFC took the easy option and appointed him. Was he ready? Is he the right person? Who knows.

The post season assessment MUST occur and occur asap.

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

billy the kid wrote:Again I think we're all in her because WE CARE. We are embarrassed about being bottom. And we want to assist.
I watched the game last evening and I think the result (as was last time they payed Brisbane) flattered them.

Brisbane were dominating and if not from Willacy’s brilliant work in goals, the results could have been worse. The AUFC defence is a concern. Disconnect between defence, mids and forwards. The distinct lack of ability (apart from Colaprico) to cross a ball with any intent is bloody shame. Where have the pinpoint crosses gone?

They are the exception rather than the rule.

If not for our imports (USA) where else are the goals coming from? Emily was the only one attacking with intent and made great strikes including one that came to her because of a poor attempt at a cross into the box. A poor execution of skill could have ended in a goal. This is not good enough.

I suspect Ivan was asked to fill in because Huss departed (or moved aside). Being an assistant the AUFC took the easy option and appointed him. Was he ready? Is he the right person? Who knows.

The post season assessment MUST occur and occur asap.
Lets see, perhaps the WNPL player of the year could've stepped up...oh thats right not good enough apparently. I saw a few games during the season of WNPL and from what I have seen of the W League we could have put a very competitive team on the park from there. Sometimes we believe that o/s players wil be the great panacea to our problems and really its in our own backyard
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Fair enough comment and I agree with o/s players.

The local talent is what gets us through and as has been stated in other AUFC-W topics, o/s players are the topping for a very sound local contingent.

My guess, the o/s girls will collect their cheques and depart our shores and go back to their "real jobs" in the USA. AUFC-W is good for the sun and some extra $$$$$

KRO
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by KRO »

I wont comment on the rights or wrongs of the coach etc. but will make the observation that the game changed after the 2nd half drinks break. The Roar girls and in particular the captain was very vocal and demanded "I'm not leaving here with a draw". The win meant so much more to them. The AU high intensity pressure style wasnt able to be executed for the full time especially as Roar stepped up themselves after the drinks break. An entertaining encounter.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

@ sportsbird

so let me get this right.....

1 - before the season started you applauded the decision to appoint Ivan (see below)....no mention of any coaches with experience coaching women who would've been a better choice
"What a great appointment. Ivan Karlovic is the best choice to go forward with the Lady Reds and well into the future.
Ivan is a fantastic communicator and well respected. Ivan has a great football brain and has the skills and knowledge to pass down to the lady reds.
Since Ivan's appointment, there has been a big buzz within the women's football circle. Adelaide United F/C should be applauded for appointing the right person as Head coach.
could there be a better endorsement??????

2 - nothing from you during the season

3 - at seasons end, you criticise him for not being in tune with women....
and found he lacked the understanding of the style and emotions of female footballers.

if the Board need to be held accountable for making the wrong choice re Ivan, does that mean you need to be held accountable for endorsing him publicly.....if so, please don't comment about prospective new coaches again....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

magicfootball1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by magicfootball1 »

Quote:
Since Ivan's appointment, there has been a big buzz within the women's football circle. Adelaide United F/C should be applauded
for appointing the right person as Head coach.

well, id say that's busted!

knowing who you are as well makes it, even more, funnier, you couldn't play that well and you are so quick to criticise every coach or player that doesn't meet your "opinion"

maybe, next coach, you might say I've heard some good things but let's wait and see, then at the end, you can either smash or praise them.

frankly its jobs for the boys, get a coach who can turn a weak team into a strong team, not buy a team and hope for a miracle.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

The thing I find odd on here is the whole, men from men’s football don’t know how to treat women footballers, it’s different, yet since I first started working with the likes of Kristi Harvey, Siam McLaren, right through to Eliza, Sarah & Ev, they all wanted to be treated like the guys, but on here there’s this theory they don’t?
A coach with in the women’s national set up told me, they are women GKs they are GKs.

For me the principles in treating my male GKs I’ve worked with & the females are exactly the same, treat them in a way that’s going to get the most out of them.
The old Sir Alex hair dryer or Alby Kidd sprays don’t get the same response they used too, me personally I got a lot out of them, helped me get in the zone but today’s players I don’t think deal with it well, I have never had to fire off at any of my GKs, I think hyping them up and giving instruction much more beneficial.

So anyway, I think this whole ‘he doesn’t know how to treat the players because he’s from men’s football’is rubbish.

Now this is an actual question as I don’t know the answer, are there any female GK coaches about?
The only one I can think of is Emma Wirkus but I don’t believe she’s involved in football anymore?

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Paul,
your telling me that a coach out of frustration can tell a female player straight to their face that your fat, your f???in useless, you wont be here next year if I'm still coach, you only worry about your looks, if you cant match it with the men you wont be in my team, how the hell did you get into the matildas, etc. C'mon Paul. Yes players would say they want to be treated like men, but the fact is they will never be like men so we need to treat women as women and develop them to the best of their abilities.
We as women are emotional, we as women have different physique than men if you haven't noticed, we as women have other issues that men don't.
Great coaches whether male or female of female teams understand and treat women with respect and ensure they get the best out of them.
Great coaches do not make negative comments about a player but rather support them and find the weakness and assist in their development and confidence by providing constructive criticism and set a program for them to further enhance the skills.
In relation to your comment about a female goalkeeper is a goalkeeper. I don't dispute that, A coach can train the female GK the same fundamentals as a male counterpart but you can't develop the female to be strong and quick as a male. I hope one in the future that will happen but I don't think it will happen in my time.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

You could not say any of those things to a male & expect to get the best from them, that’s my point, you treat players with respect either way, with honesty, if you want the best from them.

For someone that wants equality you sure make a lot of excuses for why women can’t achieve what men can, I can’t train women to be as fast as men? Sarah’s speed is loads faster than I was & Isaac my Metro GK is.

You make excuses whilst players like Sarah & Kristi in the past asked to come & train with the men’s team, Sarah trained at Metro this year & no one backed off, not once did I get any comments about her being good for a girl, they all praised her goal keeping.

Whilst you keep making excuses and wanting to hold back women’s football by excepting it’s just never going to be men’s football you do no service to the game. I have no idea who you are or your back ground but to me you just want to put up barriers between men’s & women’s football, oh except when you want a men’s club to find a women’s team.

You don’t need to tell me what ‘great coaches say & do’ as I doubt if you’ve played for any coaches that have coached in the EPL as I have, I know how they got the best out of players in which is how I treat my GKs, I’d be very interested if you’d put your name to your comments so we can see the work you’ve put into the game.

alwaysoffside
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by alwaysoffside »

paul merson wrote:You could not say any of those things to a male & expect to get the best from them, that’s my point, you treat players with respect either way, with honesty, if you want the best from them.

For someone that wants equality you sure make a lot of excuses for why women can’t achieve what men can, I can’t train women to be as fast as men? Sarah’s speed is loads faster than I was & Isaac my Metro GK is.

You make excuses whilst players like Sarah & Kristi in the past asked to come & train with the men’s team, Sarah trained at Metro this year & no one backed off, not once did I get any comments about her being good for a girl, they all praised her goal keeping.

Whilst you keep making excuses and wanting to hold back women’s football by excepting it’s just never going to be men’s football you do no service to the game. I have no idea who you are or your back ground but to me you just want to put up barriers between men’s & women’s football, oh except when you want a men’s club to find a women’s team.

You don’t need to tell me what ‘great coaches say & do’ as I doubt if you’ve played for any coaches that have coached in the EPL as I have, I know how they got the best out of players in which is how I treat my GKs, I’d be very interested if you’d put your name to your comments so we can see the work you’ve put into the game.
+1
Have my vote for reply of the year( so far anyway)

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

well said Mers....Sportsbird (not just her) want women to be treated equally except for when they are being treated favourably....

imagine the chairman of the board saying to a new female CEO....."hey, we want you to go easy on the male employees when things get heated as their higher testosterone levels than females mean they are more inclined to be aggressive..."
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

KRO
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by KRO »

Yesterday my daughter played club sport.I kept calling out that we are going to be late. In fact she was scrunched up in a ball on her bed 60 minutes before the start of the game with horrendous menstrual pain. She didnt want to talk to me about it. She did consult with my wife and they came up with a response. When I raised this preparation with her coach he looked confused as to what to do. Play or bench? His wife consulted with my daughter and she went on to play a cracker.

My daughter has been coached by men all her sporting life. Her techniques are based on male physiology and experience. Two weeks ago she experienced female coaching for the first time. The techniques taught were different. Her confidence lifted because she wasnt do it wrong. Her male coaches were not teaching her how to best use her physiology.

My point. Females are not males and empathy and intelligence needs to be displayed to bring out their best.

Leppskiii
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Leppskiii »

paul merson wrote:You could not say any of those things to a male & expect to get the best from them, that’s my point, you treat players with respect either way, with honesty, if you want the best from them.

+10 votes from me.
"Just ask yourself, have you hugged your goalkeeper today?"

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Man has this topic skewed off target.

Issue here is about AUFC-W (Not Lad Reds please)

I have reviewed the season (13/14 rounds as opposed to a mind boggling 7) and in context of Ivan's comments.

All I can say is that not munch will alter from the end of this season as was achieved over the last 10. Why? Basically, the player's obligations and AUFC vice versa ceases at the conclusion of their involvement in the W League. Players are out of contract. Any obligations therefore ceases. I don't see AUFC (GG) extending ANY courtesy and allowing Ivan's plan to come to fruition and retain the bulk of the squad on a continued basis until the next W league season.

Why? Money/responsibilities/facilities and of course the WNPL clubs will be dead against allowing players to extend training commitments that have the potential to adversely affect their WNPL performances. These players aren't robots.

Ivan will not get his wishes and therefore the wheel continues much in the way it has and we will only get a final's appearance if and when lady luck smiles.

It's not a female v male argument. Its a discussion about what should and can occur to remedy the dismal performances. As I said, late game fadeouts an conceding goals to lose a game comes down to mental toughness and fatigue. They are all capable players. Mental fortitude comes with age and experience. Make what you will of this observation.

RAP300
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by RAP300 »

Can anyone shed light on what other W-League clubs do in the 'off season'? Particularly Sydney FC, Melbourne City, Brisbane.

Would be great to understand how these teams do well each year.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Good question RAP. Lessons learned from other states will be invaluable. As II said I am certain we have players with ability and aptitude. It's the set up that is what requires attention asap.

RAP300
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by RAP300 »

I honestly think having a set up like the old SASI would be beneficial. I understand we have the NTC program, but that's U/17 I believe?

This would obviously have to be something separate from AUFC – and I’m not sure how this can come to fruition – but it’s an idea to keep a core group of players, training and playing together for the majority of the year, in the lead up to the W-League season.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

RAP300 wrote:Can anyone shed light on what other W-League clubs do in the 'off season'? Particularly Sydney FC, Melbourne City, Brisbane.

Would be great to understand how these teams do well each year.
Straight off the bat you've named three sides who contain 20 Matildas + 12 Internationals out of the 54 players in their squads. Of those 32 players, the majority will be competing in European, Asian or North American competition in a few months, so their off-season begins now.

As a club, we don't have the funding or infrastructure of an East Coast club in place to maintain such a roster so as to not experience the continual calendar effect that comes with a squad of WNPL players. Also what hasn't been taken into account is the considerable turnover those squads also experience which isn't just unique to AUFC.

Creating a year-round team / program is obviously ideal for players and AUFC alike, however it creates unique challenges in the womens game such as: integrating players earning a professional wage out of the game in other leagues during the year, paying players across 12 months, compensation for WNPL sides commensurate with the loss of quality players, how to cut / recruit and when, how it competes for players against NTC set-up (as we all know AUFC and FFSA are not one and the same), etc.

This is not something that can function akin to how AUFC compete in the NPL as the players above them in the HAL have multi-year contracts and aren't required to find elsewhere to play for 8 months a year.

Many unique issues that don't all have one simple answer.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

AUFC did attempt to enter the WNPL 2 years ago.. not sure if that is still on the agenda?

RAP300
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by RAP300 »

I dont think it would benefit anyone if AUFC had a team in the WNPL. I think playing in the U/16 boys comp would be where you'd look at first.

Leppskiii
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Leppskiii »

How about signing players earlier in the year. Mid year latest with the core of your Adelaide contingent training and maintaining a squad and cultivating a good culture and learning a structure after having some solid time off.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Agreed Lepps- you can't wait until September to begin the selection process- and have it drag on into October. And the coaching staff should be out at as many WNPL games as possible. Not sure how many they saw last year- or if any of them had even ever seen a W-League game before they made their selections...

That would be an alternative to taking players out of WNPL and playing a squad in a boys' comp.

I believe that in Queensland, the local Brisbane players play together as a squad in their WNPL comp.

But at bottom, I'm not sure if United is willing to increase the resources so that the coaching staff has more to work with. I am very cynical about United's commitment to the women's game. I thought that having them take over the team from FFSA would be an improvement. I think they've put that possibility to bed.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

A/ appoint the coach early, can’t sign players early with no coach.
B/ put a long term plan in place, the w league season is too short to build s style of football, it takes a lot of time to build the structures and principles that go into a style of play, having majority of the team turn up a week before round 1 can’t happen. Successful men’s teams like Adel City & MetroStars updates& manipulate their style of play each year, AU need to start from scratch, then on top of that having such a large turn over of players each season you’ll be for ever trying to instill the game into the squad.
C/ identify the future players in SA start work on them in the same system & style as the seniors.
D/ playing all year in wnpl is ideal but will kill the league so forget that.
E/ put all energy into finding/developing strikers, converted chances this year would have us having a different conversation right now.

RAP300
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by RAP300 »

paul merson wrote:A/ appoint the coach early, can’t sign players early with no coach.
B/ put a long term plan in place, the w league season is too short to build s style of football, it takes a lot of time to build the structures and principles that go into a style of play, having majority of the team turn up a week before round 1 can’t happen. Successful men’s teams like Adel City & MetroStars updates& manipulate their style of play each year, AU need to start from scratch, then on top of that having such a large turn over of players each season you’ll be for ever trying to instill the game into the squad.
C/ identify the future players in SA start work on them in the same system & style as the seniors.
D/ playing all year in wnpl is ideal but will kill the league so forget that.
E/ put all energy into finding/developing strikers, converted chances this year would have us having a different conversation right now.
A is the most important. Without a coach appointed early on, this will mean you cannot implement B, C and E.

We have fantastic players currently in the WNPL, capable of playing in the W-League that could bring us scoring power. i.e. Nicole Tilley, Daniela Di Bartolo, Tiarn Powell etc

I guess we can all comment on here about our views on the AUFC W-League team, and what we think is the best way forward - but will anything change? What can we do to make a change

Leppskiii
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Leppskiii »

RAP300, Paul Merson and Junior Supporter maybe we should take care of it haha!