WNPL Round 2

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

FootballWatch
Apprentice
Apprentice

WNPL Round 2

Post by FootballWatch »

News from South Australia's local football leagues
https://www.footballwatch.co/

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: WNPL Round 2

Post by SAD GAL »

Good preview of round 2 however, Uni to draw against NTC? Don't think so. Uni's loss was in no way indicative of their abilities. Rather it says Metro capitalised on opportunity. Uni are a really well drilled and skilful team that is exceptionally coached. NTC was dwarfed by Westies (Not Hellas please) and as you say, the score line could have been worse. NTC looked out of sorts and in the second half were found wanting. Westies were wasteful in front of goals otherwise 8-0 would have bene the case.

Uni to win 4-0

Otherwise good preview.

BeNatural
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BeNatural »

SAD GAL wrote:Good preview of round 2 however, Uni to draw against NTC? Don't think so. Uni's loss was in no way indicative of their abilities. Rather it says Metro capitalised on opportunity. Uni are a really well drilled and skilful team that is exceptionally coached. NTC was dwarfed by Westies (Not Hellas please) and as you say, the score line could have been worse. NTC looked out of sorts and in the second half were found wanting. Westies were wasteful in front of goals otherwise 8-0 would have bene the case.

Uni to win 4-0

Otherwise good preview.
They are Hellas. That is what their FFSA approved logo says.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

No issue with Hellas and I’ve always been anti the movement 10 or so years ago to de-ethnicise the A League. Open discrimination. Given what the football community is about I found it interesting that Hellas is back in vogue. Hopefully Adelaide City, White City, Croydon and Riders can also incorporate their ethnic name into their official titles.

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Coyote »

Pretty tough to make predictions for a few matches at this early stage. It is a long season and I think depth of players will be crucial to where all teams finish. Based on this, I am predicting a top 4 in this order:-

1. Metro
2. West Adelaide
3. Adelaide City
4. Adelaide Uni

I am less confident with the other 4 teams and where they may finish. Top 3 teams for mine will be way ahead of the rest though. Long way to go.....

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Fair call Coyote and while it is a long season those 4 teams you have listed do not rely just on luck and "she'll be right". Salisbury the exception however, the top 4 have been on a steady and consistent upward trajectory with respect to recruiting but more importantly coaching and support i.e. fitness and conditioning, training techniques and support by way of trainers, physios etc. They have push the envelope so to speak so if those 4 finish in the top 4 its because of hard work by everyone, not just the players.

They have also recruited because they are doing things better and the top echelon of player will demand that from clubs.

Success is not an accident.

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Coyote »

BTK

Good points that you make but apologies if I gave you the impression that I was saying these teams “rely on luck”. I have never thought that and did not mean to suggest it. It was just my opinion on where I think teams will finish and that depth may be important to where teams may finish in the likely event of injuries.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Not at all Coyote. That impression did not come across. It was my reply.

Tonight will be a feast of footy (the real football that is).

Sadly there is next to no coverage on mainstream media. It deserves so much more.

FFSA needs to get up and about and start networking with Val M and Rob Greenwood. MMM, 5AA Jarrod Walsh, and the like and start getting some exposure by banging on the skills and quality of the game.

magicfootball1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by magicfootball1 »

SAD GAL wrote:Good preview of round 2 however, Uni to draw against NTC? Don't think so. Uni's loss was in no way indicative of their abilities. Rather it says Metro capitalised on opportunity. Uni are a really well drilled and skilful team that is exceptionally coached. NTC was dwarfed by Westies (Not Hellas please) and as you say, the score line could have been worse. NTC looked out of sorts and in the second half were found wanting. Westies were wasteful in front of goals otherwise 8-0 would have bene the case.

Uni to win 4-0

Otherwise good preview.
Are you f nnn serious? "Uni is a really well drilled and skillful team that is exceptionally coached" they barely could pass the ball around let alone show skills- Metro were all over them, did you actually watch this game, coz i didn't see you there. Uni is nowhere near the level of last year nor the coaching.

on the level of playing well Metro - city final; going to be a long season for many teams. NTC lack strikers defend, defend is not an option, the only thing that saved them was the excellent keeper (she will get snapped up to one of the big clubs im sure)

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Much better by the clubs on Twitter.

FootballWatch
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by FootballWatch »

Uni to win 4-0

Otherwise good preview.
Well I was much closer to the draw than your 4-0 Uni Win!
News from South Australia's local football leagues
https://www.footballwatch.co/

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Most seemed to have missed the metro/city pick as well. Me included!

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

Thought city looked in control most of the game. Impressive.
Metro did seem to have a few out though.

Congrats to NTC getting their first points.

Was great to have all games in the one place though canteen running out of everything but coke by 8pm was poor. Seemed to not work well enough changeroom and warm up pitch wise to warrant doing it regularly.

magicfootball1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by magicfootball1 »

FootballWatch wrote:

Uni to win 4-0

Otherwise good preview.
Well I was much closer to the draw than your 4-0 Uni Win!
Haha And Uni ??? mmmh. bias of Uni and metro seem to be constant, the scores maybe not.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Bloomin hell. Might need to revisit my assessment of Uni. One game wonders or a blip on the radar?

They looked positively out of sorts compared to what I saw the week before. Not the best display of skill and ability expected at this level. Magic 1 Me 0.

NTC looked better than the week before and were able to make many passes and attacked well. The test always comes with an opposition that can exercise pressure and physical presence and experience. I won't make any outlandish statements in case Magic admonishes me.

Fulham 10-0 v Westies. OUCH and not good signs. 10-0 isn't indicative of Westies brilliance. Rather Fulham's lack of quality on the pitch. Where too for FUFC from here? The Campbelltown of 2017!!!!

Metro v City. Wow. Good game and an arm wrestle for most of the game and whilst City looked in control, the game was a good one to watch. Still a bit scratchy in places for both but I await the ensuing encounters to get a gauge of where they're at.

On a positive note, how good was it to have all WNPL games on the one night. Well done FFSA and clubs.

M@rvin
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by M@rvin »

Also the Salisbury Inter win with ten players for most of the game after their GK was sent off.
The goalkeeper is the jewel in the crown and getting at him should be almost impossible. It's the biggest sin in football to make him do any work.

George Graham

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Was Macca Red Carded?

I did see a player get stretchered off to hospital in an ambulance. Any news on her injury/recovery?

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Coyote »

Interesting results from R2.
West winning 10-0 does support the opinion of a few that West, Metro and City will likely be way ahead of the other 5 teams. I would be very surprised if any of the other 5 teams chalk up a victory against these 3 strong outfits.
The Salisbury victory was amazing considering they were down to 10 after just a few minutes. Great credit to the players and coaching staff.
Good win to City as well. I may have to rethink my predictions of the top 3 order….
And after their tough initiation against West, great work by the NTC girls for their win against Uni.
Looking forward to round 3

Leppskiii
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Leppskiii »

Handball outside the box I heard.
"Just ask yourself, have you hugged your goalkeeper today?"

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

So the GK will be rubbed out for 2 games?

It's a long season and the first 4-5 rounds hard to judge form. After that we will see the dust settle and performances consistent. There will be some interesting results though but I can see the games against West, City and Metro to being very close affairs. Goal difference may again be the deciding factor on who finishes where in the top 4. The 10-0 result has not helped and distorts the league ladder.

magicfootball1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by magicfootball1 »

SAD GAL wrote:Bloomin hell. Might need to revisit my assessment of Uni. One game wonders or a blip on the radar?

They looked positively out of sorts compared to what I saw the week before. Not the best display of skill and ability expected at this level. Magic 1 Me 0.

NTC looked better than the week before and were able to make many passes and attacked well. The test always comes with an opposition that can exercise pressure and physical presence and experience. I won't make any outlandish statements in case Magic admonishes me.

Fulham 10-0 v Westies. OUCH and not good signs. 10-0 isn't indicative of Westies brilliance. Rather Fulham's lack of quality on the pitch. Where too for FUFC from here? The Campbelltown of 2017!!!!

Metro v City. Wow. Good game and an arm wrestle for most of the game and whilst City looked in control, the game was a good one to watch. Still a bit scratchy in places for both but I await the ensuing encounters to get a gauge of where they're at.

On a positive note, how good was it to have all WNPL games on the one night. Well done FFSA and clubs.
:) Dont think anyone will pass the 3 ( city, metro and westies) Fulahm and uni to battle with NTC. Inter and Cumby mid. Metro did look slow last week against city but they seem to be building, lots of big paper names but has to convert to wins.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

billy the kid wrote:So the GK will be rubbed out for 2 games?

It's a long season and the first 4-5 rounds hard to judge form. After that we will see the dust settle and performances consistent. There will be some interesting results though but I can see the games against West, City and Metro to being very close affairs. Goal difference may again be the deciding factor on who finishes where in the top 4. The 10-0 result has not helped and distorts the league ladder.
Pretty sure 1 for denying an obvious goal scoring opt.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Care to revisit your comments below post round 2? Uni have shown to be consistent and building nicely. I still consider them to be a well drilled and competitive side.

magicfootball1 wrote:

Uni to win 4-0

Otherwise good preview.
Are you f nnn serious? "Uni is a really well drilled and skillful team that is exceptionally coached" they barely could pass the ball around let alone show skills- Metro were all over them, did you actually watch this game, coz i didn't see you there. Uni is nowhere near the level of last year nor the coaching.

on the level of playing well Metro - city final; going to be a long season for many teams. NTC lack strikers defend, defend is not an option, the only thing that saved them was the excellent keeper (she will get snapped up to one of the big clubs im sure)