The WNPL Cup and FInal 4 Finals Series

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

The WNPL Cup and FInal 4 Finals Series

Post by SAD GAL »

If these events cannot get major local media support on free to air then it's F%^&ed.

WNPL Football (not the BS AFL-W) has uber talented and skilled players that deserve recognition beyond the faithful that follow the WNPL.

Keeping it hidden away and without due promotion is a travesty. Sad to say that this is across not only the media but within the football ranks itself. Coverage on MMM real footy show.

Fair call peoples, the WNPL and women's football scene needs to get out there and the message rammed down the throats of everyone who cares to read or listen.

I encourage supporters of the beautiful women's game to get on the phone/email/twitter etc. and keep the WNPL discussion going on all media outlets.

Hats off to Spiro Paul and Cassandra for doing their bit on 5RTI. We need more air time on their show tho. Enough of the o/s EPL etc etc. We need local content. There's plenty of time to talk EPL etc. once the local football competition finishes up soon.

So people lets get out there and start spruiking the game. We can't wait for others to do it. This is not just an FFSA thing. it's all of us.

BeNatural
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: The WNPL Cup and FInal 4 Finals Series

Post by BeNatural »

SAD GAL wrote:If these events cannot get major local media support on free to air then it's F%^&ed.

WNPL Football (not the BS AFL-W) has uber talented and skilled players that deserve recognition beyond the faithful that follow the WNPL.

Keeping it hidden away and without due promotion is a travesty. Sad to say that this is across not only the media but within the football ranks itself. Coverage on MMM real footy show.

Fair call peoples, the WNPL and women's football scene needs to get out there and the message rammed down the throats of everyone who cares to read or listen.

I encourage supporters of the beautiful women's game to get on the phone/email/twitter etc. and keep the WNPL discussion going on all media outlets.

Hats off to Spiro Paul and Cassandra for doing their bit on 5RTI. We need more air time on their show tho. Enough of the o/s EPL etc etc. We need local content. There's plenty of time to talk EPL etc. once the local football competition finishes up soon.

So people lets get out there and start spruiking the game. We can't wait for others to do it. This is not just an FFSA thing. it's all of us.
If the Men's league cant even get media attention at the moment, the WNPL then has little chance.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Not having a go at your comment however, I no longer think the age old comment of "the men get little coverage so....." holds little value in the discussion. Soccer is a very poor cousin whether its male/female junior/senior. To think that women will only get coverage when men get better coverage doesn't hold true for me. We've gone beyond such discussions. A bit like, the women shouldn't get paid to play until they generate the income.

Look at the paper today and there's little if anything about the local NPL/WNPL games this weekend. Even the Messenger newspaper has bugger all.

So for mine, everybody has a part to play to get the game and competitions promoted.

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Coyote »

Agree with SAD GAL and Billy The Kid.

On a positive note though, FFSA should be congratulated on their recent 3 year partnership with Channel 9 that hopefully will increase the exposure to both the women and men’s competitions. Maybe the FFSA could have a similar partnership with a radio station to primarily promote the women’s game in SA? Obviously social media has the potential to reach a greater audience these days but all forms of advertising mediums should be considered.

FFSA could have promoted tonight’s match a lot more though. The semi-finals were decided for the women 3 weeks ago so there was plenty of time to contact The Advertiser and local papers (Messenger etc) to get some form of publicity for tonight’s cup finals. At the same time they could have also made mention of the girl’s cup finals that will be played Sunday 19th August.

From a club perspective though, what a perfect opportunity for participating clubs to promote their clubs by contacting say the Messenger, to request to have some write up on the cup finals. Local papers seem to accommodate most requests such as these. It is too late now for this but perhaps the winning club(s) could provide photos and a write up to the local papers to be published after the final?

Anyway, my prediction tonight:-
Adelaide City 3 West Adelaide 1

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Good comments Coyote. I'm not sure what more can be done with respect to the FFSA. You can't force the issue re: publicity. BTW has Val dropped off the football (soccer) reporting landscape?

The point of my reply above is that there is NO hierarchy about which sport/club should have precedent over another club/sport etc. Neither is the discussion about male v female an issue that is worth discussing. Actually it’s so off the scale it’s laughable. It’s not a case of “Hey girls wait your turn. We need to get the men’s comp sorted before you!” That’s simply not the case.

Soccer (m/f) in Oz is the big issue. Promotion of it is poor.

The other argument about pays is also archaic and laughable. The local men’s NPL competition is running off the hard working parents from the junior ranks that pay over the odds for players that attempt to play to a standard they think their pay packet deserves. So you want to talk about self-sustaining? The men’s NPL (Provisional Liability/SL! Or 2) comp hardly covers its costs from gate takings. The fees paid by the junior’s pays for this luxury. Take that away and the men would be lucky to get $100 per game. Judging by the standard even that’s too much.

It’s an even playing field peoples. It’s not Men/boys followed way down by Women/girls.

Adelaidecitybandit
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Adelaidecitybandit »

Adelaide city 5- 0 West Adl

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

5-0? Interesting prediction.

If the bad weather arrives then its a draw 0-0 during normal time (unless a penalty. Extra time. And penalties. WA to win.

City haven't thumped WA during the normal home and away season and I see no reason it would thump them in the Cup final.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

billy the kid wrote:.

City haven't thumped WA during the normal home and away season and I see no reason it would thump them in the Cup final.
I think City will be hurting after losing the league title to Metros last week so I expect them to come out guns blazing. If they get in front early and the game opens up then it could lead to a bigger margin than normal.

Brenton T
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Brenton T »

Mr Red wrote:

I think City will be hurting after losing the league title to Metros last week so I expect them to come out guns blazing. If they get in front early and the game opens up then it could lead to a bigger margin than normal.
3-2 win to WA wasn't a 5-0 thumping as someone predicted. WA suffered a line up melt down when De Bono went off injured. Coach Kev failed to re-adjust his side accordingly and it became a mess on the field with 3 goals were scored from the right. For WA to settle and get 2 goals was a credit.

City's goals superb. Will be a great finals series

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Brenton T wrote:
Mr Red wrote:

3-2 win to WA wasn't a 5-0 thumping as someone predicted. WA suffered a line up melt down when De Bono went off injured. Coach Kev failed to re-adjust his side accordingly and it became a mess on the field with 3 goals were scored from the right. For WA to settle and get 2 goals was a credit.

City's goals superb. Will be a great finals series
When AC were 3-0 up it was heading for a 5-0 score line but credit to WA they started to attack rather than just sit back and they got some rewards with a couple of goals and not for the heavy rain late I think they just may have got it back to 3-3 and who knows what would have happened. I think AC also took their foot off the pedal at 3-0 up and that was nearly fatal. All in all a good final in them conditions.

Brenton T
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Brenton T »

WA have had a resurgence over the last 3 weeks and I can see them making a dent in the chances of metro and city. This Friday night's finals will be something that is worthy of promotion an attendance of at least a thousand.

The quality of the games have been exceptional. From my point of view, I wouldn't be disappointed if either metro, city, Hellas or NTC take out the title. All are worthy

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Brenton T wrote: This Friday night's finals will be something that is worthy of promotion an attendance of at least a thousand.
As long as the weather isn't as bad as Friday night :wink:

Brenton T
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Brenton T »

I think it looks to be a wet day. Hopefully the rain comes in earlier on in the day and goes away by mid afternoon.

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Coyote »

Congratulations to Adelaide City but credit to West for fighting right to the end.

I was interested to read that in the Cup final programme on Friday night it stated that since 2014 when West Adelaide last made the cup final that “Coach Kevin McCormick has been able to bring up players through their junior system……..” Can someone please let me know how many and who out of the squad on Friday night came from their junior system? I could be wrong but I would be surprised if that number was high considering the high number of recruits from NTC and other clubs over the past 2 years.

Brenton T
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Brenton T »

Hey Coyote

Never believe what you read or half of what you hear :D

I think there are a few players on the pitch last Friday that weren't from their junior system. I think most WNPL premier league teams have a sprinkling of players who have come through the ranks. The majority are recruits that come in the bolster the squad.