WNPL and the Media

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

WNPL and the Media

Post by billy the kid »

The Men's NPL season is kicking off this weekend. Great coverage by the papers and Soccer on 531. 10/10

light of the AFL-W and the exposure they are afforded for 7 week season defies logic. However, Advertiser, the template is set. Time for the FFSA and Advertiser and Soccer 531 to elevate the WNPL to the status of ELITE women's sport and promote the hell out of the competition. There is NO reason why the WNPL should not get the coverage it deserves. It's been decades in the making. Not 3 seasons. It is full of national league and local stars (young and old) that are one day going to represent (or currently do) Australia.

The WNPL is at a standard that CAN stand scrutiny by the media, the casual observer and the ardent football fan. It stands alone as a beacon of ELITE women’s sport (with netball, basketball and cricket). The title of ELITE has been earned through hard work and not hype.

I respect our local media so I think we as the supporters of the game also need to get off our hands and demand more. In 2019 I also expect to see an WNPL player of the round competition and goals and highlights of the week. No reason not to. WNPL stands alongside the NPL.

Let’s see if this comes to fruition. Let’s see if the WNPL get coverage beyond the Messenger and a bit of media in the Tiser and radio. We want and expect more.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Re: WNPL and the Media

Post by Lucas Leiva »

billy the kid wrote:The Men's NPL season is kicking off this weekend. Great coverage by the papers and Soccer on 531. 10/10

light of the AFL-W and the exposure they are afforded for 7 week season defies logic. However, Advertiser, the template is set. Time for the FFSA and Advertiser and Soccer 531 to elevate the WNPL to the status of ELITE women's sport and promote the hell out of the competition. There is NO reason why the WNPL should not get the coverage it deserves. It's been decades in the making. Not 3 seasons. It is full of national league and local stars (young and old) that are one day going to represent (or currently do) Australia.

The WNPL is at a standard that CAN stand scrutiny by the media, the casual observer and the ardent football fan. It stands alone as a beacon of ELITE women’s sport (with netball, basketball and cricket). The title of ELITE has been earned through hard work and not hype.

I respect our local media so I think we as the supporters of the game also need to get off our hands and demand more. In 2019 I also expect to see an WNPL player of the round competition and goals and highlights of the week. No reason not to. WNPL stands alongside the NPL.

Let’s see if this comes to fruition. Let’s see if the WNPL get coverage beyond the Messenger and a bit of media in the Tiser and radio. We want and expect more.
I think you'll find the Advertiser and the new FFSA partner in Channel 9 will be quite active in the next couple weeks.

I also think that as a community, supporters and clubs can do more. If you want more coverage, start a blog, start a podcast. A lot of people on here were quick to shoot down the old Football Watch, rather than contribute.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Yes. I agree however, it's a partnership. And one must work with the other. The old adage "clubs" need to do more is probably redundant to an extent because blogs, Twitter etc. is only accessed by those who want to access and are interested in the WNPL whilst mainstream media will expose people who aren't aware of the WNPL etc. I asked someone the other week if they knew the W League was on. They replied no however, weer interested to hear about it and the calibre of players in the league. AUFC has a web, twitter FB etc. however mainstream media is the conduit to greater broader exposure.

Galey
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Galey »

billy the kid wrote:The Men's NPL season is kicking off this weekend. Great coverage by the papers and Soccer on 531. 10/10

Bravo...totally agree

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Thank you

BeNatural
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BeNatural »

Calm down.

it gets a lot of coverage.

Last year, they received a lot of coverage in local media.

Plus, the mens season starts earlier so they have the run right now, come closer to the start of the WNPL it also will get the coverage.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

What do you count as "a lot of coverage"? On the FFSA website, the Messenger? There is NO equivalent coverage of the WNPL (like NPL) in the mainstream newspaper. Little on the radio sports show. YEs 531 Soccer Show do something but in % wise, WNPL is about 15% of the show. AA, MMM, etc. is negligible. TV ? NONE, Unless I've been living in a remote part of Australia, I'm pretty well in tune with media coverage and during the season in particular, is almost zero.

Hopefully Rob Greenwood and the Tiser can do something about this. <any of us readers are followers of all aspects of the word game including the WNPL.

BeNatural wrote:Calm down.

it gets a lot of coverage.

Last year, they received a lot of coverage in local media.

Plus, the mens season starts earlier so they have the run right now, come closer to the start of the WNPL it also will get the coverage.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

15% sounds about right.

Last year's Grand Final thread got 3 posts on this site, so begs the question - how many are REALLY interested in WNPL?
Ignore this signature

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

Bomber wrote:15% sounds about right.

Last year's Grand Final thread got 3 posts on this site, so begs the question - how many are REALLY interested in WNPL?
You mean how many middle aged white men that sit behind a computer all day are interested in WNPL? :lol:

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Lucas Leiva wrote:
Bomber wrote:15% sounds about right.

You mean how many middle aged white men that sit behind a computer all day are interested in WNPL? :lol:
Well, put it this way. Let's see some stats about how many players in WNPL (vs NPL), average crows sizes etc and we can go from there? :wink:
Ignore this signature

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

I’d be careful with using crowd sizes and Forum posits as justification for coverage in the media. If that were the case, NPL, SL! And 2 would fall into the abyss with even the AFL-W trumping any NPL crowd.

Then again, I suspect you will use the crowd size at a WNPL v NPL as the much defined example. If that is the case, then let me know how many paying fans tur up at a NPL or SL 1 or 2 game. Is suspect the gate takings AND the bar do not cover the player payment bill. So if we’re throwing stones in a glass house we can dissect both competitions and see who has a far more sustainable model. For me, the question is about media. More needs to occur. With that comes exposure. Interest and crowd numbers. There is a significant community out there that listen to sports shows, read the paper AND are involved or have an interest in WNPL.

Moral of the story Bomber…It’s disrespectful to run down a competition or sport no matter what it is.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

End of the day, NPL and WNPL are not competing with each other.

Both are much maligned.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

billy the kid wrote:I’d be careful with using crowd sizes and Forum posits as justification for coverage in the media. If that were the case, NPL, SL! And 2 would fall into the abyss with even the AFL-W trumping any NPL crowd.

Then again, I suspect you will use the crowd size at a WNPL v NPL as the much defined example. If that is the case, then let me know how many paying fans tur up at a NPL or SL 1 or 2 game. Is suspect the gate takings AND the bar do not cover the player payment bill. So if we’re throwing stones in a glass house we can dissect both competitions and see who has a far more sustainable model. For me, the question is about media. More needs to occur. With that comes exposure. Interest and crowd numbers. There is a significant community out there that listen to sports shows, read the paper AND are involved or have an interest in WNPL.

Moral of the story Bomber…It’s disrespectful to run down a competition or sport no matter what it is.
I'm not (deliberately) trying to run it down, but trying to keep a realistic perspective given the current state of play. You (and a couple other regulars) often display a negative attitude about all and sundry in the women's game so maybe it needs more "positive" voice and effort from people like yourself to promote it.
I actually think in recent times the FFSA have actually improved quite considerably in promotion of NPL, so one step at a time.
If we get to the stage where there are 3 divisions of 12 teams each (inc reserves, & 18's) with a junior set up reliant on women players solely, then you have a case.
For years the men's game got little to no exposure, so now things are heading in the right direction so maybe patience is the key for now, and perhaps some leverage form a successful Matildas WC campaign may help even more.
Ignore this signature

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

exposure is the key. get Manchester united women to tour. that should do it. :wink:

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

billy the kid wrote:What do you count as "a lot of coverage"? On the FFSA website, the Messenger? There is NO equivalent coverage of the WNPL (like NPL) in the mainstream newspaper. Little on the radio sports show. YEs 531 Soccer Show do something but in % wise, WNPL is about 15% of the show. AA, MMM, etc. is negligible. TV ? NONE, Unless I've been living in a remote part of Australia, I'm pretty well in tune with media coverage and during the season in particular, is almost zero.

Hopefully Rob Greenwood and the Tiser can do something about this. <any of us readers are followers of all aspects of the word game including the WNPL.
Sometimes seems like 531 show covers women more than men. follow them on FB? Lot of women football posts.

older but not wiser
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by older but not wiser »

https://www.footballvictoria.com.au/new ... toria-2019

would be wonderful to see something like this happen in SA

Inver
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Inver »

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Some of the clubs need to up theirs social media game. Especially match updates on Twitter, which are helpful if you can’t be at the game. A couple have zero twitter presence.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Streaming & highlights packages are key.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

I think ffsa are planning highlight packages this year...streaming would be nice. But clubs need to have strong social media presence as well