Lady Reds In Disarray

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Lady Reds In Disarray

Post by sportsbird »

Sorry guys, but I could not stand being silent any longer and listen to people on this forum saying how well the Lady reds are going. Please. The lady reds are bottom of the ladder without a win and only three goals in five games and one of those goals was from a penalty. The poor start to the season comes down to the coaching and the recruitment staff.
1. Injury List
Again, the coaching staff offered contracts to injured players prior to the season commencing which was evident. I don't need to say who they are as you should be able to work it out.

2. International Recruitment
Weber - a standout player that can keep her head up.
Brooks - Is just a solid defender but a very predictable player. Gets the ball and kicks the ball long to the forwards.
Araujo - Inconsistent midfielder. Really hasn't been impressive
Ashley - Consistent defender but has shown a weakness in defending tight against the strikers.

3. Interstate Recruitment
Hogg - was injured for 2 years and really has not been impressive. I am flabbergasted to see an unproven player given the vice captaincy. To have this honour, you need to lead by example on the field, but she has not shown this.
Cia Fowler - Really has not shown any form in the little amount of game time given. Was only given a contract to secure the services of her sister Mary.
Mary Fowler - Has shown potential and will be a valuable player in the future. But now is under pressure to perform as a young striker and is solely looked at the savior of the club. The only comment I make about Mary is that she holds the ball and tries to take on the opposition players at all times and will not play the ball to her team mates who are in the right position.

4. Local Players
The only players that can hold her head up high is Sarah Willacy and Laura Johns. If it were not for Sarah's great goalkeeping and athleticism, the lady reds would be in serious trouble.
What happened to Dawber and Condon and why has McNamara not been given a chance?

Looking at the game against the roar, unable to fathom a few decisions made by the coaching staff.
Holmes not starting and replaced with Campagnale in the midfield. Campagnale is a defender, not a midfielder, she also has been injured most of the WNPL season.
Grant coming on and pushed onto a wing. Absolutely absurd, she is a right back and that is her position. puzzled.

The club is currently in disarray and looking at missing out the finals again. The squabbling must stop in the lady reds camp which has been going back 3-4 weeks ago between the locals and the international. The worst scenario is the club may finish bottom or second to bottom if things do not improve.

In conclusion, The coaching staff should be held accountable and responsible for the lack of improvement of our own local players who have not stepped up from last season.
So to all the forumites who questioned my previous comments on the forum , I will not change my views. Yes I still believe the coach is not the right manager for the club and cannot see it getting better and should step down. Yes they may win a few games but the damage is done.

Now I will await for the attack from my opponents. But make sure when you do attack me that you do not say the Lady reds are going great and they will come out of the rut.

Hugego21
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Re: Lady Reds In Disarray

Post by Hugego21 »

Breaks my heart to see so much great local talent either on the bench or left out totally.

Who actually cares? Obviously not those that count.

I’m so happy that we can pride ourselves on the local home grown talent in the men’s team, and get results I wonder if an overseas coach might be the answer.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Sportsbird, if you had put as much actual info or opinion in the past nobody would 'attack' you as you say, what you have posted now is your opinion and its fine, the past were just personal attacks hence people like myself will defend them.

I didn't watch the week ends game so I cant comment on the week ends game, but from what I have watched this season they are playing good football but just not turning that into wins.

And for the record, Im an Aston Villa supporter so I have to deal with the same scenario from them every week end also!

QuodUnusQuiPulsat
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by QuodUnusQuiPulsat »

Women's football in this state is going no where fast...

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Sportsbird- implying that there is disunity within the squad is incorrect. Do players have opinions about how to improve the team's performances? Certainly. But they are not 'squabbling'. That's the sort of rumour mongering that people object to. Your opinions about things are yours, and that's fine. But the whole disunity/squabbling/disarray angle is conjecture. The players are professional and it's a work environment. They don't engage in those types of behaviours as they are counterproductive.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Well said Sporstbird. Unacceptable rubbish. Many of our local players needed a long break (apart from Willacy and John). The Fowler girls are basically allowing ego to precede their abilities. Immature.

It's nothing short of a DISASTER and Mess. We in SA deserve better.
Last edited by SAD GAL on Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

Sorry guys, but I could not stand being silent any longer and listen to people on this forum saying how well the Lady reds are going. Please. The lady reds are bottom of the ladder without a win and only three goals in five games and one of those goals was from a penalty. The poor start to the season comes down to the coaching and the recruitment staff.

Coaching is excellent but squad is inexperienced. Sydney + Man City are full of Matildas and Reds played well against them. Know you haven't been watching so fyi hit post twice against both Syd and Brisbane.

1. Injury List
Again, the coaching staff offered contracts to injured players prior to the season commencing which was evident. I don't need to say who they are as you should be able to work it out.

You don't say who they are because there are none.

Brooks - Is just a solid defender but a very predictable player. Gets the ball and kicks the ball long to the forwards.
Ashley - Consistent defender but has shown a weakness in defending tight against the strikers.

Watch more games. Brooks is one of the best weve had at Utd.

Hogg - was injured for 2 years and really has not been impressive. I am flabbergasted to see an unproven player given the vice captaincy. To have this honour, you need to lead by example on the field, but she has not shown this.

Recruited for her experience. Has huge playing CV. Calling her unproven shows how little you know.

Cia Fowler - Really has not shown any form in the little amount of game time given. Was only given a contract to secure the services of her sister Mary.

Ciara is pretty good. Getting both of them a scoop. Only an goose would think otherwise. Oh I forgot.

Mary Fowler - Has shown potential and will be a valuable player in the future. But now is under pressure to perform as a young striker and is solely looked at the savior of the club. The only comment I make about Mary is that she holds the ball and tries to take on the opposition players at all times and will not play the ball to her team mates who are in the right position.

please describe who looks at her as the saviour of the club and where there is evidence of this.

4. Local Players
The only players that can hold her head up high is Sarah Willacy and Laura Johns. If it were not for Sarah's great goalkeeping and athleticism, the lady reds would be in serious trouble.
What happened to Dawber and Condon and why has McNamara not been given a chance?

Shock. Not given any credit to Adelaide City players who have worked themselves into the ground. Still stewing over Grace playing WNPL reserves finals love?.

Looking at the game against the roar, unable to fathom a few decisions made by the coaching staff.
Holmes not starting and replaced with Campagnale in the midfield. Campagnale is a defender, not a midfielder, she also has been injured most of the WNPL season.

Was gonna say that this proves what an idiot you are but nearly all your comments do. Georgia is a midfielder. Played in defence a lot because of allround ability and sometimes to plug gaps. injured? She was almost an ever present in WNPL. What drugs are you on sportsbird?

Grant coming on and pushed onto a wing. Absolutely absurd, she is a right back and that is her position. puzzled.

ive never seen a full back pushed up to wing or vice versa. :roll:

The club is currently in disarray and looking at missing out the finals again. The squabbling must stop in the lady reds camp which has been going back 3-4 weeks ago between the locals and the international. The worst scenario is the club may finish bottom or second to bottom if things do not improve.

"squabbling. The lies never ever stop with you.

In conclusion, The coaching staff should be held accountable and responsible for the lack of improvement of our own local players who have not stepped up from last season.
So to all the forumites who questioned my previous comments on the forum , I will not change my views. Yes I still believe the coach is not the right manager for the club and cannot see it getting better and should step down. Yes they may win a few games but the damage is done.

"In conclusion once in your life write a post without lying or f off back to retirement

Now I will await for the attack from my opponents. But make sure when you do attack me that you do not say the Lady reds are going great and they will come out of the rut.

they stopped being the lady reds about 5 years ago. get with it .

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

Unlucky to have Dawber pick up an injury 2 weeks before the season started.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Not sure any comments herein have supported that the Lady's are in a good space. The league table...no tell lies. SB may be on drugs but some on here are manufacturing them and probably overcome by hallucinations from the manufacturing process.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

sportsbird wrote:Sorry guys, but I could not stand being silent any longer...
It's ok, most females I know are in the same mindset.
Ignore this signature

QuodUnusQuiPulsat
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by QuodUnusQuiPulsat »

Bomber wrote:
Finally someone speaking some sense on this forum

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

SAD GAL wrote:Not sure any comments herein have supported that the Lady's are in a good space. The league table...no tell lies. SB may be on drugs but some on here are manufacturing them and probably overcome by hallucinations from the manufacturing process.
Surely everyone here is looking forward to your explanation of who the manufacturers are and what theyve said to lead you to that conclusion.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

JayCody wrote:
Bomber wrote:
Finally someone speaking some sense on this forum
:lol:

:D
Ignore this signature

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

It seems your happy where Adelaide United sits. Its fine, whatever makes you happy. I am not going to judge you for your opinion. However I will take on your comments made.
Ben Rath wrote:Sorry guys, but I could not stand being silent any longer and listen to people on this forum saying how well the Lady reds are going. Please. The lady reds are bottom of the ladder without a win and only three goals in five games and one of those goals was from a penalty. The poor start to the season comes down to the coaching and the recruitment staff.

Coaching is excellent but squad is inexperienced. Sydney + Man City are full of Matildas and Reds played well against them. Know you haven't been watching so fyi hit post twice against both Syd and Brisbane.

Unsure how you came to the conclusion that this team is an inexperience team.
Emily Condon - Very experienced (longest serving player) Matilda
Dylon Holmes - Experienced (3rd year player)
Georgia Campagnale - Very experienced (50 Game Player)
Emily Hodgson - Very experienced Young Matilda (4th year player)
Chelsea Dawber - experienced (3rd year player)
Isabel Hodgson - Experience Player (College Player)
Matilda McNamara - Inexperience (was recruited several years ago)
Sarah Willacy - Experienced (3rd year player)
Julia Ashley - Experienced
Amber Brooks - Very experience
Charlotte Grant - Experience 2nd year player (Young Matilda)
Khalia Hogg - Experience Player (3rd year player)
Laura Johns - Experience player (2nd year player)
Mallory Weber - Experience Player
Mary Fowler - Experience player (Young Matilda)
Cia Fowler - Inexperience Player
Lais Dos Santos Araujo - Experience player

1. Injury List

You don't say who they are because there are none.
Lets say there are three to four players injured while two playing with an injury.

Watch more games. Brooks is one of the best weve had at Utd.
I don't disagree with you, unsure why you are challenging this one. I only said she is predictable by kicking long.

Recruited for her experience. Has huge playing CV. Calling her unproven shows how little you know.
May have a huge playing CV but has not produced the goods yet.

Ciara is pretty good. Getting both of them a scoop. Only an goose would think otherwise. Oh I forgot.
So you really think that she would have got a contract if her sister was offered one.

please describe who looks at her as the saviour of the club and where there is evidence of this.
Since losing Latsko, Mary was to be the one to take over latsko who was brilliant last season.

4. Local Players

Shock. Not given any credit to Adelaide City players who have worked themselves into the ground. Still stewing over Grace playing WNPL reserves finals love?.
Unsure why Grace was brought into this as she is no longer in the squad.

Was gonna say that this proves what an idiot you are but nearly all your comments do. Georgia is a midfielder. Played in defence a lot because of allround ability and sometimes to plug gaps. injured? She was almost an ever present in WNPL. What drugs are you on sportsbird?
Unsure why you would say I am on drugs as i am commenting on my opinion and facts.

ive never seen a full back pushed up to wing or vice versa. :roll:
Charlotte has only had very minimal experience on the wing. Is a good player in defence a bit like Carpenter.

"squabbling. The lies never ever stop with you.
It is a fact there is squabbling between some players as I have inside knowledge.

"In conclusion once in your life write a post without lying or f off back to retirement
Why do you keep commenting that I am lying when some are my opinion and the others are facts.

they stopped being the lady reds about 5 years ago. get with it .
There you go I am still passionate about the club which originated as the lady reds.

Ben Rath, I understand my comments don't always approve some people but again this is my opinion and again I want to see the club succeed but its not happening. They are currently bottom of the ladder.
There are three failures occurring with the women's football in this state;
1. Adelaide United are not serious about the women's football and the current coaching panel are not experienced enough to coach women athletes. etc
2. The FFSA state program needs improvement
3. NTC program is not working, Why is it only very few gifted players succeed while many others fall away. How many players from the NTC are currently in Adelaide United. NIL

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Aren’t Evelyn & Charolette from NTC?

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

paul merson wrote:Aren’t Evelyn & Charolette from NTC?
They are not from the current crop, there from the season before.

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scipio africanus »

At this level, a coach lives and ‘dies’ by their results.

If you factor in the collapse in the second half of last season, plus this seasons first five consecutive losses, we are heading into a ten plus game run of poor results.

It’s amplified by having such short seasons.

Being ‘competitive’ or ‘playing good football’ at the same time losing game after game will not cut it at this level.

I’m neither close enough or have watched enough games to understand why the team is underachieving.

From a distance though the squad on paper appears considerably weaker, particularly in the final third and aside from the Central American defender, the other internationals appear underwhelming. Webber on Wikipedia has barely scored a single goal in three years. We are effectively relying on a rank novice 16 yo to lead and score consistently.

I was hoping that this season was going to be Emily Condon’s breakout year after finally playing to her potential in this years WNPL, but it appears she has fallen totally out of favour (unless injured). Time to move interstate Emily if you want to go to the next level.

What injury does Chelsea have?

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Yes Scipio the coach lives and dies by their results. He is a good coach however, if you sat with him I am certain he would tell you what is missing in order for the team and him to deliver better results. He basically has a team that comes together at the start of the season. Players of different backgrounds and countries/states. I’ve banged on with this for a decade. The structure and the programme at AUFCW will NOT ever deliver results beyond what we’ve experienced the last decade. I blame AUFC. They do not want to explore a better option and work with FFSA and WNPL clubs to get it right. A recent coach knew what the better teams did to ensure success and wanted to implement the changes post W League season. It started but was killed off by someone within AUFC whom stated that the girls could/would not be permitted to train in the off season with the previous youth team. Whatever he wanted to do was killed off when she exercised her edict. He departed. We can tinker with players and visa players but the issue is at the core of the AUFC and its lack of commitment to deliver a sound W league programme.

On another note welcome back sportsbird. You and I obviously do not have a vested interest in AUFC W and can see what's wrong.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

billy the kid wrote:It started but was killed off by someone within AUFC whom stated that the girls could/would not be permitted to train in the off season with the previous youth team. Whatever he wanted to do was killed off when she exercised her edict.
Incorrect. Players did train with the AUFC NPL side in the W-League off-season.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Since the new owners or during the past ownership? I am correct for the time frame I am talking about ie 2015-2017

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

billy the kid wrote:Since the new owners or during the past ownership? I am correct for the time frame I am talking about ie 2015-2017
?

I'm talking 2019. You said AUFC - pretty sure AUFC did not run the W-League side in 2015-17.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

You may want to check and re-visit your reply.
Lucas Leiva wrote:
billy the kid wrote:Since the new owners or during the past ownership? I am correct for the time frame I am talking about ie 2015-2017
?

I'm talking 2019. You said AUFC - pretty sure AUFC did not run the W-League side in 2015-17.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

billy the kid wrote:You may want to check and re-visit your reply.
Lucas Leiva wrote:
?

Check what?

That players weren't training with the NPL side in 2019? Perhaps you can ask the NYL / NPL players if they noticed some feminine looking train ons earlier in the year.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Whether AUFC ran the women's side 2015-17.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

Evelyn (Adelaide Uni)
Charolette (Future Matildas Program- SYD based for 2019)

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

BAGGIO 15 wrote:
Evelyn (Adelaide Uni)
Charolette (Future Matildas Program- SYD based for 2019)
Pretty sure when Ev first joined AU she was at NTC, as was Charolette.
Coming out of NTC and getting a train on gig as these girls did should be the aim, to think they should be going straight into the playing squad is ridiculous

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Agreed PM.

Everyone should note that a lot of the comments albeit directed to some players is about the team as a collective and more importantly how the decision making, the support by AUFC and year after year stumbling and bumbling is unacceptable. In 3 years time many of the names we've been analysing will no longer be in the squad. A lot like those that were there 5 or 10 years ago.

The results over the last decade are consistent and that is where the problem lays. To accept this is a bit like primary school where the results do not matter and you'll get a medal for participating. All comments and criticism no matter how worded is about the unacceptable situation that paints the players in a bad light.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

You know things are on the nose with AUFC- W when not even Migliacio writes anymore articles about them. He's jumped off the wagon 3 weeks ago

I think they will win a game and or get a point from a draw and then we will all hold hands and say it was another year of almosts. The happy brigade in here will write the usual relies of nothing of substance.

If season 2020/2021 sees most of the local players get another gig then we will suffer the same results.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

SAD GAL wrote:You know things are on the nose with AUFC- W when not even Migliacio writes anymore articles about them. He's jumped off the wagon 3 weeks ago

I think they will win a game and or get a point from a draw and then we will all hold hands and say it was another year of almosts. The happy brigade in here will write the usual relies of nothing of substance.

If season 2020/2021 sees most of the local players get another gig then we will suffer the same results.
Sad Gal, I agree with you. However, the same players will be offered contracts next season if the current coaches remain. Unfortunately and sadly, the coaches have determined that no other players in the WNPL are good enough to make the grade. Fortunately, there are numerous players who have great ability, skills and determination are able to perform in the W League.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Sportsbird, which local WNPL players, currently not in the squad, do you feel have the skills and ability, and more importantly the desire, to play at W-league level? I’m curious.