AUWFC Vs Camberra

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

AUWFC Vs Camberra

Post by sportsbird »

I'm glad I stayed home today and watched this game. I was very disappointing to lose again by one goal.
I cannot fathom the tactics used by Adelaide united.
1. Laura Johns who has been a consistent player not even selected on the bench.
2. Again Campagnale in the midfield
3. Dawber on the wing, she is a midfielder and yet place Campagnale there.
4. Condon who is a winger started on the bench.
5. Dylan started on on the bench, she should have started in the midfield.
I think the coaching staff have lost the plot. They need to have a hard look at themselves. They are playing chess with our local WNPL players and even they don't know what there role is.
Why is the coaching staff allowing Fowler to hold the ball and not distribute to other players.
Lucky for Brooks and Weber and the goal from Condon.
Our season has now ended. Again goodbye to season 2019-2020

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: AUWFC Vs Camberra

Post by SAD GAL »

They had chances for sure.

Willacy did an excellent job in goals. Question is that given her selection into the Matildas and her W League form the last 2 seasons,will she be in Adelaide next W League season? I think she'll go. For National career progression and AUFC-W form reasons she will go East.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

I disagree- as a keeper, where better to showcase your skills than Adelaide? She is doing a great job, has lots of opportunities to showcase her amazing skills. I don't think she's going anywhere. But who knows?

Yesterday's result was indeed disappointing. Most probably won't make finals this year, but there's still plenty to get out of the season. The players won't spit the dummy and chuck it in. And they will win games.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

After our 5th consecutive loss Ivan has 'hinted he will not be making wholesale changes to his starting line-up'.

Without scrutinising most positions currently being occupied, Ivan must AT THE VERY LEAST consider shifting young Mary Fowler out on to the wing because currently her inexperience & lack of body strength is being exposed week in, week out. Not to mention the unecessary expectation on her very young shoulders to 'carry the attack'. The centre-forward is normally reserved for your best striker (someone with strength to hold-up the ball while also being able to bustle for position in the box) & currently that role on the evidence thus far this season can only be given to Malory Weber. This would then allow Mary much more freedom in space out on the wing to further develop her skills we know are still largely untapped. Unfortunately this season we do not have an abundance of capable strikers so I would even consider reverting Laura Johns back to a position on the other wing since we know she can also be effective in that role.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

scar wrote:Unfortunately this season we do not have an abundance of capable strikers.
As I previously mentioned & none more evident than yesterday with an absolute woeful performance from Dawber & a less than inspiring Grant on the wing. How Ivan waited to the 73rd min. to drag Dawber (who gave us NOTHING all game) left me dumbfounded & essentially up to this point we had been playing with only 9.5 players on the park.
To Adelaide United's credit the rest of the team fought courageously all game but if your strikers aren't up to the task (Malory Weber the exception who again was a standout performer) then you can only hold out for so long before conceding.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

The plus Charlie gave was the press and AU were exceptional from that aspect, but being a GK there is nothing worse than continuously missing chances, it piled the pressure on at the back & in the end it was a lucky deflection that finally beat Sarah.

Totally agree Webber was very good.
Sarah again fantastic, the smother on the 6 yard box was all business, loved it.

And all though against us you have to applaud Ibini’s strike at the end, brilliant.

Another week with no return for the some good football.
For Sydney’s experience they were poor.

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

Weber has been very good creating chances but her finishing has let us down all season.

Agreed that Dawber struggled to get into the game, but she has so little support. Araujo has been a huge disappointment for me. Consistently turns the ball over, slow in possession, and doesn't look like creating anything. One of the best opportunities of the game fell to her and she just blasted the ball as hard as she could rather than placing the ball past the keeper.

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scipio africanus »

themagnet wrote:Weber has been very good creating chances but her finishing has let us down all season.

Agreed that Dawber struggled to get into the game, but she has so little support. Araujo has been a huge disappointment for me. Consistently turns the ball over, slow in possession, and doesn't look like creating anything. One of the best opportunities of the game fell to her and she just blasted the ball as hard as she could rather than placing the ball past the keeper.
I called out Weber's goal scoring record when she was signed.

According to Wikipedia, Weber has scored 1 goal in past three seasons.

Fowler, as talented as she is, remains a 16 yo novice.

Where did the club seriously think the goals were going to come from consistently this season?