AUFWC vs Sydney FC

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

AUFWC vs Sydney FC

Post by sportsbird »

Again a very dispiriting game and yet again another disappointing selection by the coaches. I find it incredibly ludicrous the coaching staff decided to play Dawber as the main striker. Dawber is an attacking midfielder. The question has to be asked why the coaching staff not select another striker as a back up. Do we not have a train on who is an attacker. Dawber is carrying an injury and it showed. I also cannot fathom why it took the coaching staff so long into the 70 minute mark to take Dawber off when you can clearly see she was struggling during the game. Again, Grant played on the wing, yes she is quick, but she cannot play up front, she cannot score goals and finds it difficult to control the ball. Grant has a future, but again playing young athletes who are not ready to be effective in the W League. Araujo should be dropped, so far has not played to her reputation and has not been a game changer. Again if it were not for Willacy, we would be in dire straits. Why is Emily Condon, the most experience local player (one time Matilda) sitting on the bench and not in the starting XI. I believe the coaching staff are sullying with the confidence in our local players by playing chess with them. Our defence needs work including the midfielders. I must say Holmes had a really good game and had opportunities at goals. Weber has been a great player but again cannot finish with goals, not good enough goals win games. Amber again was solid in defence, but is getting frustrated that no-one is at the end of the long ball up front. Not good from a captain of the team to show her frustration. The coaching staff should have a really hard look at themselves because the decisions they are making are second rate. Surely the lady reds have train-ons that could be given an opportunity. Unsure who the train-ons are, but cant get any lower.
Ivan stated last week that he does not believe sweeping changes should occur. The only reason he stated that is because he has no other players to use. Finally, I am extremely disappointed that Ciaro Fowler has been selected and she has yet to consolidate her position within the team. I again, will re-iterate, she was only selected to enable the deal to go ahead to obtain Mary Fowler. As a result, this has stopped an opportunity of a player who deserves to be selected. The lady reds have the opportunity to win the next two games, but that depends on the coaching staff. Like to see the players playing in their positions where they were recruited for.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: AUFWC vs Sydney FC

Post by billy the kid »

Sportsbird been a while since I've replied to anything. Here goes.

Your comments are well thought out and you make some good points re: player placement and that Willacy has prevented some ugly score lines. This was also the case last season. My prediction is that Sarah will be at an eastern states team in 2020/2021. Greater opportunity to push her case for a Matildas spot.

Regarding player positions and selections, there are probably opportunities for Ivan to place a player with certain attributes to play in another positon where she can exploit the opposition OR to negate an opposition player/s.
I’ve only watched a handful of W League matches and I must say I am struggling to watch a full game. The game is slow. Standard is lacking.

Looking forward. Season 2019/20 is done a dusted. Sadly another spoon is headed our way. We don’t have the cohesiveness and genuine team play that will get a result that will displace Perth. Contrary to what the comments may come about team spirit and commitment, I see a team trying in patches but this is too infrequent. Players who are relegated to the bench come on and in the attempt to impress (or eagerness), play very much a selfish game and lose the team first ethos. I won’t mention a player in mind however, this season must surely spell the end of her W League stint. Now a regular bench player with minimal time on the park.

My wish is that Ivan is afforded the opportunity to set up his W League team and support crew as he wants with support from the AUFC and FSA. Local players ID for a spot on the squad need to come to grips of what W League is all about and make a call on their WNPL or W League careers. You cannot serve two masters. Yes. Play WNPL but it may mean leaving your local team for the W League team in about August. Proper de-load and then a conditioning pre-season.