WNPL ROUND 5

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

WNPL ROUND 5

Post by Rightside »

Some really close games since we have been back, making for some hard tipping!

this round

Metro 1-3 Westies
Uni 1-1 Comets
City 3-1 NTC
Fulham 1-3 Inter

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: WNPL ROUND 5

Post by juniorsupporter »

Metro 1 - West Adelaide 4
NTC 0 - City 5
Uni 2 - Comets 2
Fulham 0 - Salisbury 2

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Too scared to make a prediction.

Weather will play a part especially if it rains.

And no injuries. Remember Fair Play.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

tried watching on you tube - for me there is a lot of arrogance in that Inter team especially from their striker how many times they kicked the ball away when Fulham about to take free kick - switched over after 20 minutes, very sub standard match for wnpl - Adelaide City versus junior team a little better - dont understand ffsa team tactics 3-0 down not chasing the ball sitting back let AC do whatever they like. i guess they can all only get better from here.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Did not see the game however, the tactics and "sportsmanship" exhibited by many (not only the very highly remunerated SI striker) over the last few rounds has caused me concern. wnpl players should demonstrate the highest level of integrity and sportsmanship and fair play. Sadly a few rogues exist amongst a few teams. Lets hope our refs and with per pressure these players depart the wnpl and purse other forms of sports that encourage behaviour they demonstrate.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Sad Gal, would you care to be more specific? Your comment was pretty vague. To the point that your comment doesn’t really mean anything.

Ga Pala
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ga Pala »

After watching a few WNPL games of late, I have to say that the standard is woeful ! You would think after all these years of top level women's football that their would be an improvement but it doesn't seem to be the case. Why is that??
" I used to go Missing a lot- Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss Germany." George Best

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

Ga Pala wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:05 pm After watching a few WNPL games of late, I have to say that the standard is woeful ! You would think after all these years of top level women's football that their would be an improvement but it doesn't seem to be the case. Why is that??
not just the standard of play that has dropped but also the level of sportmanship in wnpl is at times very poor by some of the players. and does not help by appointing inexperienced match officials in cup quarter finals when so many top level officials available, why ?
you end up having some decisions influenced by the intimidating way players appeal for free kicks,which is not in the spirit if the game.
why has the standard gone backwards ?
one theory i have, you have too many young players playing together at the top level, what these NTC development teams are missing out by not having 3 or 4 experienced players on the field with them to help them develop and learn about the game.
Having said that watching the Ade City vs Inter game 5 of the goals scored in that match was 3 attackers vs 5 defenders who were not marking anyone ? both sides with experienced players
The coach and all the training sessions are only part of the equation, i learnt so much early in my playing career by playing alongside experienced and respected players.
My second theory is too many wnpl players are now sadly chasing the team most likely to achieve some glory or publicity.
Is the standard of competition suffering this year because you have 3 clubs who have players on the bench that would walk into any of the other 5 clubs wnpl side ?
then you have an overseas international player constantly questioning/arguing with match officials, and playing against kids, carries on as though she has scored in a world cup match - if she is that good why is she playing in wnpl in SA
rant over

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Brilliant summary

I suspect Junior supporter will (as usual) jump in with “be more specific. Who and what hen where?” I think we see the game generally at a cross road and change in lists etc that has an impact. Regarding sportsmanship, I am sick and tired of seeing a very small cohort conducting themselves in a way that is suited to ruby and not wnpl. Should be refereed out of the game because one day they will be the reason a player is no longer able to play as a result of a serious injury.

Unchecked aggression is NOT passion and competitiveness. Re: sportsmanship and conduct of the SI import, the behaviour is ingrained and part of the dna and won’t be addressed until the ref steps up and looks at the person in the eye and stay stop it.

For Junior, not the place to mention names. If you’re a follower of the game you will know.
Keep safe and Play Fair

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

It's simply that often times people post sweeping generalisations on here without any factual support whatsoever and so the truth becomes what they say it is, no matter whether there is substantiation or not. I was just looking for some specific examples for the arguments being put forward on here.

That said, I agree that the standard is not what is has been recently. City and West Adelaide, then everyone else. I also agree that there has been some fairly dodgy behaviour (shirt pulling, tackles from behind etc.) that is not being pulled up by the refs. In City v West Adelaide Monday night, it seemed as if the ref had left his cards at home. When you get poor quality refereeing, or course the players are going to point that out on the pitch.

I don't agree that players move clubs so they can play on teams that get more recognition. They move to play with better players under better coaches. Many players want to improve and in order to do that they will go to clubs that have better quality players and trainings.

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

:clap: well said Junior.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

juniorsupporter wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:52 am It's simply that often times people post sweeping generalisations on here without any factual support whatsoever and so the truth becomes what they say it is, no matter whether there is substantiation or not. I was just looking for some specific examples for the arguments being put forward on here.

That said, I agree that the standard is not what is has been recently. City and West Adelaide, then everyone else. I also agree that there has been some fairly dodgy behaviour (shirt pulling, tackles from behind etc.) that is not being pulled up by the refs. In City v West Adelaide Monday night, it seemed as if the ref had left his cards at home. When you get poor quality refereeing, or course the players are going to point that out on the pitch.

I don't agree that players move clubs so they can play on teams that get more recognition. They move to play with better players under better coaches. Many players want to improve and in order to do that they will go to clubs that have better quality players and trainings.
you might be right but it is not working because the standard has dropped a lot - last year you had some of the lower grade sides stealing points from top sides,cant see that happening this season. You have Adelaide City and West Adelaide, then daylight.

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

We are only 5 rounds in so far, albeit in a shortened season. But a lot can change!