Player Power vs Club decision

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

Brenton T
Apprentice
Apprentice

Player Power vs Club decision

Post by Brenton T »

When player power over rules a club’s decision? Good or Bad?

Does a playing group have the right to make decisions that would normally be made by the club? And if a club agrees to playing group’s wishes does it erode the future of the club and that team?

While a playing group delivers the game on the pitch it’s the club that has the longer term view on where a club and its teams are headed. Decisions made now have a big impact on the future. Should a playing group (eager for success in the short term) have forced the hand of the club? A dangerous precedent can be set and which a club will struggle to regain control.

A playing group is rightfully selfish and wants what’s best for them (collective or individual). A club has the longer term responsibility and will make a decision that’s best for the club as a whole. Players do not have the best interests of the club. As they say “no one is bigger than the club”. We’ve seen this not to be true at one club. And I may add that this club is not alone.

Sadly the power of the playing group does raise its head periodically and inevitably will signal the demise of that group. Won’t happen overnight but it will happen.

I'm certain many will read this and maybe not comment. Maybe some will comment and offer me a differing view. Please provide constructive criticism/commentary please.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Player Power vs Club decision

Post by nathanburns15 »

According to Sportsbird, it's Ivan Karlovic's fault that AC sacked their coach so probably no need to worry.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Players should have a voice to anything that specifically applies or affects them. Most clubs would have a delegate or spokesperson who they should be able to approach. That's where it ends. Clubs live and die by their board/committee, delegates, sponsors, members, volunteers and supporters. Players come and go as they please so their opinions, whilst should be audible, aren't necessarily in the best interests of the club, so a club decision is final. No like, go somewhere else. Simple
Ignore this signature

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Adelaide City have over 10 players selected in the initial Adelaide United Squad.
Well that tells me that Adelaide City is the base for the next upcoming players into the Lady reds.
This is absolutely disgraceful and clubs should be taking this issue with the FSA and Adelaide United and stop Ivan's so called program. This so called Ivan's program is only looking after him and Adelaide City.
Young players are being told to go to Adelaide City and play through their juniors to give them an easier pathway to the lady reds. This must be stopped or other WNPL clubs will suffer in the future.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Adelaide city are top & have a +45 goal difference & you think it’s a conspiracy that AC has 10 players in an elite women’s program, not enough players from the bottom clubs for your liking?
This is probably your most stupid post yet.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

That last post was a response for Sportsbird btw.

As for the original post, once you set an example of bowing to player power you then change the mind set of future coaches, all of a sudden keeping players happy over takes your game plan & winning, disaster.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Sportsbird I'm not sure the clubs will take up the selection of 10 AC players to AU or FF SA. Why would clubs be concerned at selection? Is you concern about AC becoming the club of choice?

The way I see it AC is currently at where Pezos wanted it to be with AC: Come to AC and you'll be a chance for AUFC-W. They've done the hard yards and set the benchmark for other clubs to follow. Their results so far support that 10 players have been selected. Why not go the whole way and give them a contract and then top up with any talent that is able to come across from interstate.

Point to note: Where is the W league comp likely to be played in 2020-21? Border closures? Is a hub in scope? If the W league goes ahead, AUFC – W may do a Bradbury and make finals. Why? Compromised comp given overseas talent may not be able to travel to Australia. This could deliver the AUFC- W a much more even comp which could help.

Player power? I think AC may look back at 2020 as the beginning of a challenging time. My views only. As I believe “no one is bigger than the club”.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

billy the kid wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:44 am Sportsbird I'm not sure the clubs will take up the selection of 10 AC players to AU or FF SA. Why would clubs be concerned at selection? Is you concern about AC becoming the club of choice?

The way I see it AC is currently at where Pezos wanted it to be with AC: Come to AC and you'll be a chance for AUFC-W. They've done the hard yards and set the benchmark for other clubs to follow. Their results so far support that 10 players have been selected. Why not go the whole way and give them a contract and then top up with any talent that is able to come across from interstate.

Point to note: Where is the W league comp likely to be played in 2020-21? Border closures? Is a hub in scope? If the W league goes ahead, AUFC – W may do a Bradbury and make finals. Why? Compromised comp given overseas talent may not be able to travel to Australia. This could deliver the AUFC- W a much more even comp which could help.

Player power? I think AC may look back at 2020 as the beginning of a challenging time. My views only. As I believe “no one is bigger than the club”.
Further to this, have a look at the Matildas players that won't be in the W-League next season. Huge numbers of Matildas moving into the European club scene rather than USA/Aus.
I'd expect a lot more younger players coming through next season