Season review to date

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Season review to date

Post by billy the kid »

Round 12/ year to date wrap (sort of)

City, Westies and Inter do enough to retain their spots on the ladder. Is it all for City to win? Only team that can beat City is themselves. Player power to depose of Max may have confirmed the team’s high opinion of themselves. Self-managed for now and results come however, it will come to an end when you least expect it.

Westies aren’t quite right. Is Santrac’s vision and game plan/selections something that the majority of the team agrees with? Something not right. I thought they could take on City for the title. Not sure now.

Inter. A few weeks back I overheard an Inter fan speak in an unflattering way about a star player on the team. Lots of talent and sometimes I see these stars willing and able to demonstrate the full complement of skills. However, they’ve forgotten to play a team game. They have looked ok and d all the tricks however, the game plan is predicable. Sometimes an opposition team gets the upper hand and scores.

Metro continued their roller coaster season. Unsettled side 2 years running. Play really well in patches. Some big decisions to make at year’s end with players. Cannot rest on past success.
Uni interesting results.

Fulham – Ebbs sacked with tail end of the season left. Why? Has player power once again raised its head at the other B & W club? Max delivered good results and is sacked from City. Again, Why? Will we see those two coaches swapping across the clubs? One good thing is that both are B & W.

NTC – Again I ask. Why are a development squad in the WNPL competition? Never has and never will be appropriate. Nothing will convince me otherwise. The SASI model works best. Play mid-week against a boy’s team. Allow players to play with an established WNPL side,. Many upsides for this model.

Comets – What a sensational fall from what we saw in 2019. This is one team I expected to see an even better year. Have become predictable. A couple of go to players and not much else. Coach needs a new game plan.

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Season review to date

Post by Marinos »

billy the kid wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:51 am
Comets – What a sensational fall from what we saw in 2019. This is one team I expected to see an even better year. Have become predictable. A couple of go to players and not much else. Coach needs a new game plan.
2 wins in 2019 vs 1 win in 2020. Not sure how that can be classified as a sensational fall. Maybe a sensational waste of money.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

Standard has been very poor this year makes you wonder what is going on, with all the development programmes and all the academies, why are there not more quality players coming through.
Then to have a side like Inter with all their stars they have recruited, only to resort to play "kick it long to the striker" style of game is very disappointing. What is even more disappointing how other teams dont mark her, why do they leave her free all the time ? Inters current kick and run style could prove to be their downfall, they were outplayed by the young NTC kids, they were lucky to get a point against Comets,. The only thing that will beat Adelaide city is themselves .
Something wrong with the whole competition when there are no WNPL clubs south of Adelaide and the FSA dont appear to care they would rather spend their money on the NTC programme which does nothing for the wnpl competition.
I agree with the earlier post , when they had the sasi team play junior boys mid week, and the girls return to their wnpl club on Sundays the competition was much healthier, there were more good players around.
Rewind back to 2018 when Cumberland looked like they had something in place with all their junior teams winning the double ( cup and league ) never been done before ( boys or girls ) however due to lack of support from FSA when it was asked for, and then what appears to be poor management taking over. Make syou wonder what wouldve happen if the playing group stayed together a couple more years ?
To not have Sturt Marion or a Cumberland not in the wnpl, something is wrong.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Well said, In the way. Totally agree with your comments. City also plays the long or through ball to Dawber who is always free and alone on the wing. Dawber never comes into a pack but lingers on the outer. I cannot fathom why she is also not marked closely. You mark Cote and Dawber closely and don't give them any space and you will find they will crumble under pressure. At the moment they are both flying free as a bird.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

sportsbird wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:44 pm You mark Cote and Dawber closely and don't give them any space and you will find they will crumble under pressure.
I'm not so confident this can be achieved bec the standard of defending I've seen in the WNPL this season especially when playing against Adel. City has been very poor. Dawber has improved her game & must now take this same confidence she is currently displaying back to the W-League for Adel. Utd. next season to really make her mark. Just for the record on what I've seen in recent times here locally for me there are only two players who can go to the next level (that is break into the Matilda's senior squad) & they are Dawber together with Sarah Willacy.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

With the lack of marking players in todays game I wonder if that is what is being taught on coaching courses I say that because you see a lot of goals in the A league as well where you will have up to 4 defenders inside the 18 yd box not marking anyone while there are two or sometimes three attackers unmarked in and around the penalty box
I wonder if the Inter coach read my previous post before last Fridays game ( lol ) i heard they passed the ball around a bit more, played as team, judging by the score it made a difference.
Looking at next Friday nights games, depending on results the same 4 teams could end playing each other again the following week.
Ad City and Metro wont matter if they win or lose they will finish in same position while Westies and Inter fight for 2nd spot, might be worth watching on Friday.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Wooden spoon up for grabs as well.

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

juniorsupporter wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:48 am Wooden spoon up for grabs as well.
Has there been any talk of relegation happening this year?

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

I don’t know. I’ve heard that Modbury is keen to come up. I’ve also heard that FSA has said there will be no relegation/promotion. So I guess we’ll see. 2020 has been a singular year where everything and anything seems possible.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

In the way wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:24 am With the lack of marking players in todays game I wonder if that is what is being taught on coaching courses I say that because you see a lot of goals in the A league as well where you will have up to 4 defenders inside the 18 yd box not marking anyone while there are two or sometimes three attackers unmarked in and around the penalty box
I wonder if the Inter coach read my previous post before last Fridays game ( lol ) i heard they passed the ball around a bit more, played as team, judging by the score it made a difference.
Looking at next Friday nights games, depending on results the same 4 teams could end playing each other again the following week.
Ad City and Metro wont matter if they win or lose they will finish in same position while Westies and Inter fight for 2nd spot, might be worth watching on Friday.
I remember a few years ago watching Thierry Henry's Centurion video which is all 100 of his EPL goals, half an hour in I was asking the same question, why does no one mark him, now watch Ronaldo, watch Messi & you end up asking the same questions, good players get away from defenders and make themselves space, the difference between themselves & average strikers.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Only relegation I would make is to remove NTC asap. They survived relegation last year. Albeit they are now out of the relegation zone, a club based team deserves to be in the WNPL.

Finals are coming

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Riggles64 »

The last 2 years have certainly been a concern. 2018 finished off really well. Crowds were coming to most games and especially the blockbuster games where it wasn't odd to see a very big crowd to see City v Metro/Westies.

Standard? I'd probably agree that the comp is going through a change. Many experienced players retreating or moving on to footy. Lots of movement of players between teams. Changes in coaches (forced and voluntary).

What I see by way of young emerging talent in mainstream teams (apart from NTC) is good and I see quick development in those players over the last 2 years. ON this note, it will be worth visiting the NTC program in its current form and as discussed further up modelling on a sash/ntc model. That is players (voluntarily) aligning themselves to a mainstream wnpl club/team and then play in the NTC team in a comp away from wnpl. The street smarts and mentoring that occurs in a club environment with mature and experienced players is something you can't replicate at the NTC. Street smarts and other aspects of a game can't be learned on a white board or slideshow. ON the pitch at the training and game develops many elements of the complete footballer. Apart from the skills and tactical aspects, it teaches many lifelong skills. You encounter and mix with players whom can impart knowledge.

I'd be interested to read any comments however, I have had the benefit (as many on here have) of watching the game for 20 years and I have seen the good and the bad and the ugly and what has or hasn't worked.