AUFC - W season 2020-2021

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Re: AUFC - W season 2020-2021

Post by ozzie owl »

united92 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:13 pm
sportsbird wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:52 pm
Raich Carter wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:50 pm
sportsbird wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:13 am Melbourne City signs our great South Australian Matilda player Jenna McCormick. Again, one of our great players refuses to return to Adelaide United. Even with a new head coach, Jenna has decided against returning to AU. Also Michele Heyman has come out out from retirement and signed with Canberra United. This is another player that refuses to return to AU and the reason for this is while Ivan is still part of the women's program, great players such as Michelle Heyman will not play for AU. It's still gets back to the boys club. The coaching staff have not the qualifications or communicating skills to coach women players. I will re-iterate that I do not encourage women only coaches, I would like to see the best head coach whether female or male that has the ability to develop the players to be the best they can be without treating them with disrespect.
Clearly you have axe to grind with AUFC coaching staff and clearly you make things up in your muddled up head that are simply not true.
Clearly I do not have a grind, It's clearly the incompetence of the Adelaide United Boys club that have no intererst in the development of our athletes in South Australia.
Firstly, We do not have the right coaches for women athletes.
Secondly, Adelaide United do not put the money in for female soccer.
Thirdly, Adelaide United do not promote the women's club like the other sport.
Fourthly, They are inexperience in looking after potential or incoming players to the club. For example; one particular player who is a great player was given an opportunity to be part of the team in 2020, played 5 mins in one game and this year was told no longer required. Where is the development of these potential athletes. Young players are promised to be future player then spat out as quick as they come in. Other sports don't do that. They develop and nurture these young athletes for several years and make them ready for W League standards.
Finally, the NTC is the not the right pathway for the W League, this is a development program therefore Adelaide United should have an academy side which play in the WNPL so the players feel they are part of a club and culture.
In response to your comment about having a grind, why don't you actually speak with these players mentioned now and in the past and you will be amazed why they don't want to come back to AU. So if you feel that this is still a grind then that's your prerogative. All I want is Adelaide United in South Australia to be the club of choice and see young athletes give a fair opportunity as well as the senior players in the WNPL to be given an opportunity based on their performance. Take that as you will.
Still waiting for the humble pie to be eaten in front of everyone
Fantastic promotion of the womens game by AU in smashing the record for a stand-alone regular-season W-League game, and rewarded with a crowd of 5,159 at Hindmarsh Stadium with a 3-1 win over WSW .

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

To Megabous and United 92

Firtsly Megabonus, in repsonse to your previous comment, I don't need to eat Humble pie but I know someone that should.
Secondly, United 92, you don't have to wait for me to eat humble pie as Megabonus will be doing that.
Also, an advice to you both, think before you make a comment that may come back and bite you.
poster_dont_count_chickens_p.jpg
poster_dont_count_chickens_p.jpg (21.86 KiB) Viewed 3619 times
Finally, I understand football is a business now, because selling our captain courage's Dylon, a most consistent, reliable and a match winning player was more important than making the finals. As a result of football being a business, I am now looking forward for the next elite players to be sold off instead of making finals. I can accept that now.
Seriously, I am sarcastic, but I am really hurt, frustrated and angry that this has happened. When will we make the finals.
This was the season when most of the elite players from other clubs have gone overseas and we again failed to make the finals. Do we have to wait until all the elite players have left overseas to make the finals let alone win a league final.
I hold the AU coaching committee responsible for AU missing out especially this season and the decision to let Dylan go at such a crucial time and therefore should not be offered a further contract. I will not be renewing my membership as I am fed up with men's club, and fed up with the so called program which was introduced three years ago and failed to meet its expectation. Yes, some of you might say glad we dont need you as a supporter but at least I was paying membership, not like some of you. A reminder to some of the forumites, don't be fooled on a great start to the season by AU. They beat Perth Glory who have not won a game all the season. Now we wait for next season to see whats in store.
MegaBonus wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:14 pm just wondering at what point of this season will 'sourbird' eat humble pie? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

just wondering at what point of this season will 'sourbird' eat humble pie? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

just wondering at what point of this season will 'sourbird' eat humble pie? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

[/quote]

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

sportsbird wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:04 pm A reminder to some of the forumites, don't be fooled on a great start to the season by AU. They beat Perth Glory who have not won a game all the season. Now we wait for next season to see whats in store.
They also beat Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne City, Newcastle and Wanderers but sure, believe your own truth.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

sportsbird wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:04 pm I will not be renewing my membership as I am fed up with men's club, and fed up with the so called program which was introduced three years ago and failed to meet its expectation.
At least there is a small consolation then after the disappointment of just missing out on finals.

Sincerely, a paid up AUFC member since 2007

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Congratulations to the Women’s AUFC team, Adrian & all the coaching/support staff on the huge improvement we have seen this season. Although heartbreaking to miss out on finals this season with 7 wins from 12 rounds (almost unheard of in any competition) the effort put in by all has not gone unnoticed & I am confident we can build on the great results achieved the next time.

I would also like to single out a few players who for me stood out in helping make this our best season yet & also one player who for me did not meet up to my high expectation of her.

Firstly, take a bow Matilda McNamara who as far as I’m concerned was this season’s MVP with her consistent solid defensive displays. It would be no surprise to see Matilda getting a call up by our national selectors because she has certainly earnt it. When watching Matilda play for Adelaide City in the NWPL, I already thought she was a good defender but to see her step up this season to another level is very pleasing. Well done again Matilda. :clap:

Another player to stand out for me was the always hard working Emily Condon who like Matilda has gone to another level this season & I believe also deserves consideration from our national selectors. Emily’s skill level she displayed (almost always with end product) this season is currently 2nd to nobody in our current AUFC women’s squad & was a pleasure to watch. Emily showed us this season she has some nice goals in her too so overall an excellent performer.

A special mention too for Maria Rojas who worked tirelessly showing great skill (but not always with end product) in drawing defenders to her & being a constant thorn for the opposition defences. My only criticism of Maria has been her lack of goals (one goal in 12 rounds is very far from acceptable for our centre forward) but I wouldn't hesitate to persist with her next season but more in an impact role where comes on for the last 20 - 30 mins bec she will always give 100%.

Meanwhile unfortunately my biggest disappointment this season was Chelsie Dawber who has just stagnated. I was really hoping Chelsie would be tearing up the W-League this season & drawing the attention of the national selectors but apart from a few cameos where she has chipped in with some goals it just hasn’t happened. I once stated Chelsie was one of the very few from Adelaide who could go to the next level & maybe into the national squad but in my opinion has now been overtaken by Matilda, Emily & Dylan, not to mention at least another half a dozen others from her many W-League opponents Australia wide. Chelsie has been unable to bring her excellent NWPL form from the last couple of seasons to the W-League yet again. Sadly at times this season Chelsie has looked disinterested in putting in the ‘hard yards’ & even more disappointing to see her bullied by players half her size. I believe Chelsie needs to add more aggression/physicality to her game because at present I see her as just ‘too soft’ & is almost always on the losing end of any 50-50 challenges.

Last point I would like to make is to the AUWFC selectors bec we have a local proven goal-scorer in Chrissy Panagaris but it defies my logic that she can again season after season be overlooked yet we struggle for goals (in missing finals to Canberra this season by the barest of margins of +1 goal, this really hits home). ☹
Last edited by scar on Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Well written Scar. As afar as humble pie goes, book a table all of you that want this to occur. Not on here. I don't think anyone who writes on here wishes to be a pain and dislikes the AUFC W. Contrary, I think they all bother to write because they want our team to succeed...finals is a fair example of success. They deserve it.

Scar- I agree with most of your discussion however, Maria may be a thorn however, it is very very clear that she does not play to team rules. Plays the individual game that works in WNPL in SA and maybe her native national team but it does not work here. Does not, if she is heavily marked, provide a decent ball to her team mates. Generally if she loses it, it's lost And the opposition goes into attack. Nice girl but not fore AUFC-W.

Chrissy is a class player and there's been lots of discussion on her over the years however, 2019 and 2020 were impacted upon by injuries. There is no way she should be thrown into the W League with a solid full season in the WNPL. A forward needs years of experience in the WNPL. Chrissy is at least 2 years off W league consideration.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

the top four sides are breathing a sigh of relief Adelaide are not there, I feel it is a chance gone for us if ever there was a time we were going to win the W league would have been this season.
Hard and unfair to point the finger at anyone person, cant expect to play finals when you lose 4 games, but we almost did, it ended up being goal difference that cost us. There will be players thinking "if only I stopped that one shot" or "if only i put that chance away" I hope they are not too hard on themselves, as for a while there they did give all of SA football fans something to hang their hat of for a few weeks at least. We even had people go watch W league who have never been to women's football match before.
As much as it hurts that we are not in the finals, we cannot settle for where we finished and say we did okay, harsh truth is we missed out on the finals. We need to keep working keep developing keep recruiting .
With all the years this state has had in developing players through the state run development systems, surely there is some talent coming through ready to push for a W league spot, if not, why ?
All well and good having these talented young kids playing together, but I feel they are missing out by not having experienced players play alongside them, I know this has been raised several times before.
Back to the drawing board, back to basics.
Who will take it out now , does anyone care ? Good to see both semi finals being telecast, unlike last nights dodgy telecast of such a crucial game, questionable referee decisions I am told.
Can someone please explain how a player who has played for Newcastle all season is now allowed to be signed and play for Brisbane in the finals ??? how is that allowed to happen ? and what about the poor Brisbane player who misses out and has trained all season ? very unfair and ridiculous if you ask me.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

sportsbird » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:34 pm

Firtsly Megabonus, in repsonse to your previous comment, I don't need to eat Humble pie but I know someone that should.
Secondly, United 92, you don't have to wait for me to eat humble pie as Megabonus will be doing that.
Also, an advice to you both, think before you make a comment that may come back and bite you.
you really are a sad and pathetic person. you kept quiet while the club was doing extremely well to get to within a whisker of its first maiden finals appearance yet come out from under your rock as soon as youre able to declare the season a failure. your ego prevents you from acknowledging genuine improvement and a job well done....the coaching staff's job is not complete but definitely a step in the right direction.

conveniently, youve changed the narrative away from the coaching staff cant coach and males dont understand the need of female players to harping on about selling our captain overseas. get over it....it happens all the time, in all leagues.
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

MegaBonus wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:10 pm

you really are a sad and pathetic person. you kept quiet while the club was doing extremely well to get to within a whisker of its first maiden finals appearance yet come out from under your rock as soon as youre able to declare the season a failure. your ego prevents you from acknowledging genuine improvement and a job well done....the coaching staff's job is not complete but definitely a step in the right direction.

conveniently, youve changed the narrative away from the coaching staff cant coach and males dont understand the need of female players to harping on about selling our captain overseas. get over it....it happens all the time, in all leagues.
Megabonus,
Firstly, lets put things into perspective, AU had its first opportunity to make the finals in its history due to the amount of elite players from opposition teams had gone overseas. For example, Melbourne City league winners last season and missed out on the finals this season. This shows you when you lose elite players overseas it difficult to progress. AU were always going to perform better from previous years because of that fact. Secondly, I kept quiet during the humple piegate because I knew AU would miss out on the finals and waited for that exact moment to return fire at both you and united 92. Thirdly, It's ok for you to take aim at me and call me everything under the sun which I don't mind because it is freedom of speech but don't be a hypocrite when I make comments about other people. Also you are happy that AU sold Dylan for money ahead of success that's your prerogative especially when we needed her for the Sydney Game that may have placed AU in the finals. But Ive realised now that success does not matter in some peoples minds, its about money!!!!!!!
Finally, If a club wants to sell a player that's their choice, but not when finals are in the balance especially when AU needed to make the finals this season.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

In the way wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:50 am the top four sides are breathing a sigh of relief Adelaide are not there, I feel it is a chance gone for us if ever there was a time we were going to win the W league would have been this season.
Hard and unfair to point the finger at anyone person, cant expect to play finals when you lose 4 games, but we almost did, it ended up being goal difference that cost us. There will be players thinking "if only I stopped that one shot" or "if only i put that chance away" I hope they are not too hard on themselves, as for a while there they did give all of SA football fans something to hang their hat of for a few weeks at least. We even had people go watch W league who have never been to women's football match before.
As much as it hurts that we are not in the finals, we cannot settle for where we finished and say we did okay, harsh truth is we missed out on the finals. We need to keep working keep developing keep recruiting .
With all the years this state has had in developing players through the state run development systems, surely there is some talent coming through ready to push for a W league spot, if not, why ?
All well and good having these talented young kids playing together, but I feel they are missing out by not having experienced players play alongside them, I know this has been raised several times before.
Back to the drawing board, back to basics.
Who will take it out now , does anyone care ? Good to see both semi finals being telecast, unlike last nights dodgy telecast of such a crucial game, questionable referee decisions I am told.
Can someone please explain how a player who has played for Newcastle all season is now allowed to be signed and play for Brisbane in the finals ??? how is that allowed to happen ? and what about the poor Brisbane player who misses out and has trained all season ? very unfair and ridiculous if you ask me.
In the way, I totally agree with your observation and comments.
In relation to the player from Newcastle now playing for Brisbane, Ask Megabonus he knows. He probably say it's ok as it happens in all leagues.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Secondly, I kept quiet during the humple piegate because I knew AU would miss out on the finals and waited for that exact moment to return fire at both you and united 92.
:clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: yeah OK.....with 4 or so games out from finals, you knew adl would miss out on goal difference.....BY 1 GOAL....I hope you put your money where your mouth and placed a wager....youre a coward!!! only coming out from under your rock once you had ammunition again... why didnt you come out and let us know at the time???????

evidence once again and that youve changed the narrative....found something else to criticise...any credit to the male coaches??? given it wouldnt have been their choice for the player to be sold???

also

have you noticed the make up of the recently announced national team.....NOT 1 LOCAL player...why deny the opportunity for our own to further progress her career???
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

BTW
Last week, the Roar announced that captain Clare Polkinghorne and newly crowned golden boot Emily Gielnik would not be joining Brisbane for their championship charge.

Instead, the two veteran Matildas will be jetting off to Europe to join Swedish club Vittsjö GIK and put themselves in contention for Australia's upcoming friendlies against Germany and the Netherlands.
and
First, the exodus of Matildas and high-profile international players has, indeed, paved the way for a new generation of Australian stars to emerge.

Second, as Adelaide United's record-breaking crowd demonstrated, the W-League will continue to grow in popularity and attendances if clubs make the effort to equally promote and invest in their women's teams.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-04/ ... /100046792

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

so those last couple of W league players went to Europe not because their new clubs pressured them, but because someone allegedly suggested they move there quickly to be in contention for the Matildas squad is that correct ?
That, coupled with the mysterious no show from Heyman yesterday, and choosing not one of the most experience referees for the match, I am beginning to think this W league season is a farce. All points to the capital city team being handed the trophy. Does anyone know the real reason why Heyman did not play ?

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Interesting discussion "In the way". Never trust anything that can be manipulated.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Announcers said it was a quad injury. Don’ t think her not playing was due to any conspiracy or anything. “Manipulated” seriously? 🙄

And once it was announced that the Matildas camp would be European-based players only, those who could get there did what they could to get there. Understandably.

RAP300
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by RAP300 »

sportsbird wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:58 am
MegaBonus wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:10 pm

Megabonus,
Firstly, lets put things into perspective, AU had its first opportunity to make the finals in its history due to the amount of elite players from opposition teams had gone overseas. For example, Melbourne City league winners last season and missed out on the finals this season. This shows you when you lose elite players overseas it difficult to progress. AU were always going to perform better from previous years because of that fact. Secondly, I kept quiet during the humple piegate because I knew AU would miss out on the finals and waited for that exact moment to return fire at both you and united 92. Thirdly, It's ok for you to take aim at me and call me everything under the sun which I don't mind because it is freedom of speech but don't be a hypocrite when I make comments about other people. Also you are happy that AU sold Dylan for money ahead of success that's your prerogative especially when we needed her for the Sydney Game that may have placed AU in the finals. But Ive realised now that success does not matter in some peoples minds, its about money!!!!!!!
Finally, If a club wants to sell a player that's their choice, but not when finals are in the balance especially when AU needed to make the finals this season.
I think you'll find most players who have aspirations to play for their country, would do anything to get there. Like WNPL is a stepping stone to W-League, W-League is a stepping stone for the National Team.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

sportsbird wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:04 pm To Megabous and United 92

poster_dont_count_chickens_p.jpg

Finally, I understand football is a business now, because selling our captain courage's Dylon, a most consistent, reliable and a match winning player was more important than making the finals. As a result of football being a business, I am now looking forward for the next elite players to be sold off instead of making finals. I can accept that now.
Seriously, I am sarcastic, but I am really hurt, frustrated and angry that this has happened. When will we make the finals.
This was the season when most of the elite players from other clubs have gone overseas and we again failed to make the finals. Do we have to wait until all the elite players have left overseas to make the finals let alone win a league final.
I hold the AU coaching committee responsible for AU missing out especially this season and the decision to let Dylan go at such a crucial time and therefore should not be offered a further contract. I will not be renewing my membership as I am fed up with men's club, and fed up with the so called program which was introduced three years ago and failed to meet its expectation. Yes, some of you might say glad we dont need you as a supporter but at least I was paying membership, not like some of you. A reminder to some of the forumites, don't be fooled on a great start to the season by AU. They beat Perth Glory who have not won a game all the season. Now we wait for next season to see whats in store.
MegaBonus wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:14 pm just wondering at what point of this season will 'sourbird' eat humble pie? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

[/quote]

You're a joke 😂😂

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

SAD GAL wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:18 am Well written Scar. As afar as humble pie goes, book a table all of you that want this to occur. Not on here. I don't think anyone who writes on here wishes to be a pain and dislikes the AUFC W. Contrary, I think they all bother to write because they want our team to succeed...finals is a fair example of success. They deserve it.

Scar- I agree with most of your discussion however, Maria may be a thorn however, it is very very clear that she does not play to team rules. Plays the individual game that works in WNPL in SA and maybe her native national team but it does not work here. Does not, if she is heavily marked, provide a decent ball to her team mates. Generally if she loses it, it's lost And the opposition goes into attack. Nice girl but not fore AUFC-W.

Chrissy is a class player and there's been lots of discussion on her over the years however, 2019 and 2020 were impacted upon by injuries. There is no way she should be thrown into the W League with a solid full season in the WNPL. A forward needs years of experience in the WNPL. Chrissy is at least 2 years off W league consideration.
In terms of Panagaris, she's been in the WNPL for about 5 years or so already, and been scoring goals for fun (with the exception of last season with injury).
Even if she's not a starter straight away, I'm surprised she hasn't been picked up at least as a squad player with the odd substitute appearance for that experience.