State league 2021

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

OldSchool
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

State league 2021

Post by OldSchool »

So I have heard talk that State league is returning to women's football in 2021.

Who can add to this, which clubs, what are the requirements, will it be 1st and reserves. will it exclude the Prem's clubs who have Div teams.

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: State league 2021

Post by Rightside »

I have seen some clubs advertise state league - I think it may have been flinders I saw?

Prems clubs can't field into it. I think some criteria was set around having junior team requirements also but I'm not 100% sure

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

State League ? struggle to have enough quality WNPL players for all eight teams
Having said that there are some players playing WNPL Reserves who would be playing WNPL if they were at another club
What happens if at the end of 2021 season, a team to nominates or qualifies to play WNPL , must they be connected with a men's NPL /State League club ? if yes that eliminates at least two clubs straight away.
FSA have some sorting out to do.
I would really like to see a team in WNPL from the southern suburbs - the fact there is not one club south of Adelaide in the WNPL there is something wrong somewhere.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

In the way wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:25 pm State League ? struggle to have enough quality WNPL players for all eight teams
Having said that there are some players playing WNPL Reserves who would be playing WNPL if they were at another club
What happens if at the end of 2021 season, a team to nominates or qualifies to play WNPL , must they be connected with a men's NPL /State League club ? if yes that eliminates at least two clubs straight away.
FSA have some sorting out to do.
I would really like to see a team in WNPL from the southern suburbs - the fact there is not one club south of Adelaide in the WNPL there is something wrong somewhere.
Why would they need to be connected to a men's NPL/SL club?
Salisbury Inter and Metro United aren't officially connected to an NPL or SL club.

The no Southern club in the WNPL I don't think is a League issue, that's a club issue. There are bugger all clubs down that way with enough female players to strive for WNPL. Keep in mind you need 2 senior women's teams, U17s, U15s, U13s and I think a minimum of 1 Miniroos team.
These clubs need to WANT to be a part of the WNPL and provide a pathway for females in the South to strive for.

terryball
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by terryball »

pretty sure cumberland and sturt marion were in it a couple of years ago cumberland dont seem to have any problems filling junior ranks ,or isnt this far enough south?

Redflag1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Redflag1 »

Modbury Jets and Modbury Vista have both announced they will be in State League 1 next season.

Hotcoach
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Hotcoach »

Heard so is Western Strikers, Birkilla, and Campbelltown

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

Is it Promotion to WNPL and relegation the other way. .?? If not waste of time! Glorified Div 1
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

I believe this list has been confirmed:

Adelaide Jaguars
Cove Marion
Flinders Flames
Modbury Jets
Modbury Vista
South Adelaide
Western Strikers
White City
West Torrens Birkalla

No Cumberland is a surprise, but with both Cove Marion and Flinders Flames so close by, are there enough players to go around??

OldSchool
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by OldSchool »

So the rumor was true.

In regards to will there be enough players to go around, well that's a very good question. The FSA will hopefully use the interest in State League from clubs down South as a catalyst to get Women's and Junior Girls football moving down South. Throw some money and recourses into the area to generate some interest, get some of the code hoppers back to play real football. They haven't done a whole heap in the past down South. All they have done down South in recent times is sit back and watch club's senior women's and junior programs fail (Sturt, South Adelaide, Cumberland) all for different reasons but if the women's/girls programs in the South had been important to the FSA they would have found away to intervene and help save these programs.

How important is this move back to State League for Women's football to the FSA, probably not very important. You would have thought there would have been a public announcement and promotion to celebrate the changes by the FSA. But once again their silence is deafening.

Cove are actually based in Hallett Cove, they may train at the Sturt grounds but the club is actually closer to South Adelaide than the Flames. I have heard that Leigh Matthews will be coaching Cove, he may be able to attract some of his old State League players who are playing for other clubs to come and play for him at Cove.

Flames will not have a problem they had 5 senior teams last season and if you watched them play they were very competitive. And I understand the players are generally very loyal.

South Adelaide will be hoping it can hold onto their Div 3 team from last season, they had a number of their old State League players in the squad and of those there were some that had gone onto play in some Prem's teams after leaving South Adelaide.

As far as relegation and promotion, does anybody know why Vista was not promoted and Comets relegated, Vista won the Div 1 League, they have the Juniors so meet the specs.

Cumberland were not able to field a senior team at all last year, have heard they were not confident of fielding a senior team again next season. They are concentrating on juniors and believe that this is how they will get back into senior in the future

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

Hopefully this doesn't end up last like time where there were teams in the State League that looked like they'd never played football before and just got blown out the water.
It's actually surprising that they're allowing clubs that are starting up/restarting to jump straight in.
I really hope that FSA, and the clubs that are part of the State League, treat it with the respect and it has the quality that a competition called the State League, and the 2nd Tier women's competition deserves.