Alex Chidiac Signs with Melbourne City

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Alex Chidiac Signs with Melbourne City

Post by sportsbird »

Another of our talented South Australian player Alex Chidiac elected to sign with Melbourne City and not her home grown team. To all of you that think that AU is in a good place think twice. Cannot fathom Emma Checker, Jenn McCormick and Alex Chidiac not playing for AU. Why?
For those who say they went to Melbourne City for a better opportunity to play again for Australia, then what does that say about our program and our club.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: Alex Chidiac Signs with Melbourne City

Post by juniorsupporter »

Sportsbird, it’s like comparing Liverpool with Leeds United. Some clubs are big and have lots of money to splash around on facilities, coaches and players. Some are small and don’t have the resources. Ask any player born and raised in Leeds who they’d rather play for and there’s no question. You can be frustrated that Adelaide is not one of those big clubs, but it’s not going to change anything. And the men’s side is no different. Best to love Adelaide United for just who they are. I’m tipping them for a good season.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

juniorsupporter wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:12 am Sportsbird, it’s like comparing Liverpool with Leeds United. Some clubs are big and have lots of money to splash around on facilities, coaches and players. Some are small and don’t have the resources. Ask any player born and raised in Leeds who they’d rather play for and there’s no question. You can be frustrated that Adelaide is not one of those big clubs, but it’s not going to change anything. And the men’s side is no different. Best to love Adelaide United for just who they are. I’m tipping them for a good season.
So do we just sit back and accept that we will never be a finals side and be happy just to make up the numbers.
Unfortunately, Juniorsupporter, I cannot accept that as a valid excuse as every club should be in it to win the title and if it means increasing funding to sign great players, then we should do it. Otherwise, why bother entering a team in the W League if we are not serious. Winning is important not only for women's soccer in SA but for sponsorship and membership.
I would like to see AU win the title, but at this stage, I cannot see that happening in the near future. Finally, you cannot compare the men's with the women's as the men's get great exposure through social media, news outlets greater funding, etc. I have not seen any publication in the Advertiser promoting AU women's upcoming season.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Would be because the 'City network' maybe?

I'd put money on the YT's & W League players would be wanting to go there for their connections.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

increasing funding to sign great players
given the woman's game in Adelaide is watched by family members and flies, where will this funding come from???
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

Shock and surprise, players that chase money choose to go to the highest paying clubs.
It's all in the Delivery!

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Brian the Postman wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:05 am Shock and surprise, players that chase money choose to go to the highest paying clubs.
Brian the Postman, I don't quite totally agree with your comments. One reason Alex Chidiac went to Melbourne City is to regain her confidence and have another crack at making it to the Matildas like Emma Checker and Jenna McCormick.
Adelaide United currently do not have the culture, experience and the opportunities like other states. The elite SA players have been advised to seek their opportunities elsewhere if they want to have a chance at making into the Matildas. Therefore, I don't believe SA players are going to the highest paying clubs.

Hunter
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Hunter »

juniorsupporter wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:12 am Sportsbird, it’s like comparing Liverpool with Leeds United. Some clubs are big and have lots of money to splash around on facilities, coaches and players. Some are small and don’t have the resources. Ask any player born and raised in Leeds who they’d rather play for and there’s no question. You can be frustrated that Adelaide is not one of those big clubs, but it’s not going to change anything. And the men’s side is no different. Best to love Adelaide United for just who they are. I’m tipping them for a good season.
I understand the point you are making but the analogy is not very good. Liverpool and Leeds United are both 'big' clubs who pay lots of money to buy the best players who are attracted to the club for various reasons, including both personal and team success. Liverpool have a few more $$ than Leeds at the moment.

The best analogy is the real one. Melbourne City are backed by the City Football Group whose revenue is ~ $1bn/year worldwide from all sources. They are more likely to be winning trophies and the players are therefore in the national and global limelight. In contrast, Adelaide United are backed by a consortium whose Chairman is Piet van der Pol. The revenue is not remotely in the same ball park, and the profile is very much lower as they have never reached finals, let alone win anything. A players' career is relatively short - ambition is real and it is a business.

Hopefully the season is the best ever and the club is able to attract and retain its best players as a result