Newcastle vs Adelaide United

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Newcastle vs Adelaide United

Post by scar »

Can't emphasise enough the importance of this Friday's fixture bec a win will give us a real opportunity to play finals.
Lose this game & I worry it will probably come down to our last fixture vs WSW which not only will we have to win but also rely on other results in that last round to go our way. At this stage I see it as a battle between us & Canberra as to who plays finals.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: Newcastle vs Adelaide United

Post by juniorsupporter »

Spot on.

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

Even if it comes down to the last fixture, a home game with everything on the line in front of over 10,000 people is a great moment for women's football in South Australia.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

They will do it .

There are many positives for this season. Confidence building. However, the eye needs to be on what the team needs moving forward. This season is an anomaly with a compromised comp. How would we have fared if the internationals and Matilda players were playing for many of the eastern states? Are our results compromised as well?

One good thing is that without the big egos our team is certainly unified. Long may it last beyond 2021.

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

SAD GAL wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:28 pm They will do it .

There are many positives for this season. Confidence building. However, the eye needs to be on what the team needs moving forward. This season is an anomaly with a compromised comp. How would we have fared if the internationals and Matilda players were playing for many of the eastern states? Are our results compromised as well?

One good thing is that without the big egos our team is certainly unified. Long may it last beyond 2021.
I'm not so sure this season is an anomaly, rather it's the new normal in terms of Matilda's playing in Europe instead of W League. There may have been a few more international players in the league, but those numbers will always be limited and if Europe is offering more financially the W-League may not attract the same quality of player it has in the past.

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Riggles64 »

I think he anomaly is that season 2020/2021 has given local players greater opportunity to play and to shine. In the past this has been very hard due to the overseas and matildas (and interstate players) taking up many of the spots. What we are seeing now is the real talent this state has week in week out.

Is the competition compromised because of a lack of star imports? For me it's not compromised in the sense of the quality of the game. For me it's that we aren't seeing the talent of those stars that come over to play here. There are some here however, far less than in past years.

Is our W League poorer for it? Don't think so.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

scar wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:20 pm I worry it will probably come down to our last fixture vs WSW which not only will we have to win but also rely on other results in that last round to go our way. At this stage I see it as a battle between us & Canberra as to who plays finals.
I can't believe AU could possibly win 7 matches (from 12 rounds) this season & mathematically still miss out on finals.
It's that close this season for the 4th spot which I still believe is between us or Canberra & if both teams win on the w/end we will have to wait until 26/03/21 after Canberra's match vs Sydney to know the outcome.
Lets get the job done 1st with a win over WSW & fingers crossed the other results go our way.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Loving what this team is achieving to date and what it will achieve from hereon.

Everything has come together brilliantly. Kudos must also be given to the coaching panel, Ivan, the support crew and manager, and AUFC for the season we are seeing. The changes made to the coaching panel has really made inroads.