Very Interesting Today On The Radio

Do you like talking to yourself? Do you like continually talking about the same topic? Do you watch football games from outside the perimeter fence to avoid paying entry fees? Do you like reliving past glories over and over and over and over? If so then this is the forum might be for you. You can grind your axes to your hearts content in this forum.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Forum Admins

SILENT P
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Very Interesting Today On The Radio

Post by SILENT P »

johndedes wrote:Shoot goal

So if I was little Johnny today I would have to ask my parents to pay $1,000 plus per year???
My dad would say no way .
I would not have been a star soccer player .
I am sure you would have been a star soccer player in that mind of yours wether you were playing or not!!
STAY ON YOUR FEET

Ippatsu Geinin
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Ippatsu Geinin »

The guy's a legend... give him a break.

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

SILENT P wrote:

So if I was little Johnny today I would have to ask my parents to pay $1,000 plus per year???
I am sure you would have been a star soccer player in that mind of yours wether you were playing or not!!
Shoot goal

I was waiting for the bait to be taken .

If I was a star soccer player or not is not the point.
I played for the love of the game when JPL was free at Hellas.
Others coached me and saw me play and made selections without influence or influence of money or bribes .
I say it again if I was little Johnny today who was going to pay the $1,000 plus per year so I could play the game I love?

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

johndedes wrote:
SILENT P wrote:

Shoot goal

I was waiting for the bait to be taken .

If I was a star soccer player or not is not the point.
I played for the love of the game when JPL was free at Hellas.
Others coached me and saw me play and made selections without influence or influence of money or bribes .
I say it again if I was little Johnny today who was going to pay the $1,000 plus per year so I could play the game I love?
Didn't you basically only get a game because your uncles were coaching you? (No doubt a favour to your parents).
It's all in the Delivery!

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Brian the Postman wrote:
johndedes wrote:..... so I could play the game I love?
Didn't you basically only get a game because your uncles were coaching you? (No doubt a favour to your parents).
LOL, the game JD loves, yet he CBF to get off his muscat to go watch. Attention seeking twat.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

Brewie wrote:
fball12 wrote:If Campbelltown have 350 players @$1000 on average, that's $350,000.

Do their expenses total $350k?
Their expenses probably exceed $350k. The balance to break even will be made up from revenue from other sources.

Its economics. If the price was too high then people would not buy the product. Until Campbelltown are struggling to fill their teams, you have no argument and good luck to them.

If you dont like the price, dont buy go elsewhere. Find another provider that meets your price point. No one is twisting your arm to buy.
How would it exceed $350k, the council does everything for them for free!
If it does exceed $350k its because they have their snouts in the trough - coaches, senior players, administrators - all overpaid!

People go there because they live near there, they have a captured market.

The other clubs in the vicinity charge the same, its called collusion.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

BeNatural wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:No there's not a standard at which players should be paid and you're right if someone is stupid enough to play crap players then so be it. However, there are a lot of very average players in this country being paid to play.

Crap players?

I would hope quality local players like Godley, Mori, Aguis, Artone, Trimboli, Moore, Karlovic, Catanzaro were reimbursed for their performances they have displayed to the SA Football community.

I wouldnt be calling them crap players in Australia's equal second top tier.
8 players - are they the only ones being paid in this state?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

paul merson wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:No there's not a standard at which players should be paid and you're right if someone is stupid enough to play crap players then so be it. However, there are a lot of very average players in this country being paid to play.
Trust me I saw and played against many in England in the same boat, but that's just my opinion like yours, means jack.
My opinion means a lot to me and as you know me well enough to know, that's the only one I care about.

An average Beazer Homes player would get into every NPL team in this state. An average NPL player would struggle to make a Beazer Homes League team. I have played with/against many players who are better than what you see getting paid a decent amount over here and they got nothing in England, in fact they paid to play.

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

fball12 wrote:
Brewie wrote:
fball12 wrote:If Campbelltown have 350 players @$1000 on average, that's $350,000.

Do their expenses total $350k?
Their expenses probably exceed $350k. The balance to break even will be made up from revenue from other sources.

Its economics. If the price was too high then people would not buy the product. Until Campbelltown are struggling to fill their teams, you have no argument and good luck to them.

If you dont like the price, dont buy go elsewhere. Find another provider that meets your price point. No one is twisting your arm to buy.
How would it exceed $350k, the council does everything for them for free!
If it does exceed $350k its because they have their snouts in the trough - coaches, senior players, administrators - all overpaid!

People go there because they live near there, they have a captured market.

The other clubs in the vicinity charge the same, its called collusion.
ha but who pays council rates?

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

God is an Englishman wrote:
BeNatural wrote:

Crap players?

I would hope quality local players like Godley, Mori, Aguis, Artone, Trimboli, Moore, Karlovic, Catanzaro were reimbursed for their performances they have displayed to the SA Football community.

I wouldnt be calling them crap players in Australia's equal second top tier.
8 players - are they the only ones being paid in this state?
Are any Modbury Jets players paid? If so, why?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

BeNatural wrote:

Absolute disgrace how juniors are charged so much to play today.
On my time it was free.
But your senior players were paid back in those days.

And where did it come from? the same streams as today, donations, sponsors, club fundraisers, match day catering.

I am sure Bomber and his mates at Polonia have most likely single handly funded their senior teams payroll over a number of years, from their spending at the club bar!
Whilst that may have been true more so in the 80's and 90's, its hard to keep up nowadays. I'd need to drink probably 3 cartons a week along with my mates to keep up. It catches up with you after a while, hence we need a new stream of pisspots. Failing that, it gets back to sponsors, fundraising, grants and general revenue. Our Junior fees include membership which goes into general revenue however the majority costs are pretty much break even for items people have already suggested (kits, expenses etc etc).
Ignore this signature

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

paul merson wrote:
Trust me I saw and played against many in England in the same boat, but that's just my opinion like yours, means jack.
My opinion means a lot to me and as you know me well enough to know, that's the only one I care about.

An average Beazer Homes player would get into every NPL team in this state. An average NPL player would struggle to make a Beazer Homes League team. I have played with/against many players who are better than what you see getting paid a decent amount over here and they got nothing in England, in fact they paid to play.
Says the bloke who has only ever played SAASL here (usually in B's or C's). :wink:
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

The Kop wrote: Are any Modbury Jets players paid? If so, why?
No one is paid to play at Modbury Jets.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:Says the bloke who has only ever played SAASL here (usually in B's or C's). :wink:
Here - correct.

I've played a few A's games but mainly B's. I've also played in the collegiate league and have been invited to join federation clubs. I sound like OM now, maybe I should tell you about my times as a professional footballer over lunch.

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

The Kop wrote: Are any Modbury Jets players paid? If so, why?
No one is paid to play at Modbury Jets.
Has anyone ever been to play and will you again in the future?

Are you paid? If so, why?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Bomber wrote:Says the bloke who has only ever played SAASL here (usually in B's or C's). :wink:
Here - correct.

I've played a few A's games but mainly B's. I've also played in the collegiate league and have been invited to join federation clubs. I sound like OM now, maybe I should tell you about my times as a professional footballer over lunch.
Some of the players Benatural has mentioned are around your age (maybe even older) yet still play top div SAASL on decent coin. If you played in a "higher level" then what's stopping you doing at least similar? Or is it the old "war wound" excuse?
Ignore this signature

Paleon Patros Germanos
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Paleon Patros Germanos »

Here - correct.

I've played a few A's games but mainly B's. I've also played in the collegiate league and have been invited to join federation clubs. I sound like John Dedes now, maybe I should tell you about my times as a professional footballer over lunch.
Edited for accuracy
Agia Lavra 1821!

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Bomber wrote:
Here - correct.

Some of the players Benatural has mentioned are around your age (maybe even older) yet still play top div SAASL on decent coin. If you played in a "higher level" then what's stopping you doing at least similar? Or is it the old "war wound" excuse?
More likely to be the loft :wink:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Paleon Patros Germanos wrote:
Here - correct.

I've played a few A's games but mainly B's. I've also played in the collegiate league and have been invited to join federation clubs. I sound like John Dedes now, maybe I should tell you about my times as a professional footballer over lunch.
Edited for accuracy
OOh harsh

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

Here - correct.

You are playing B's at Jets amateurs yet you claim that you were a "professional" footballer whilst questioning why our local NPL players are getting paid :shock:

Maybe you and John Dedes can catch up and remind each other how good you were...bit of mutual back slapping.
Some people tell me that we professional players are soccer slaves. Well, if this is slavery, give me a life sentence.
Bobby Charlton

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
Here - correct.

(not that) happy to admit, I'm old and cabernet now.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Big Mac wrote:
Here - correct.

You are playing B's at Jets amateurs yet you claim that you were a "professional" footballer whilst questioning why our local NPL players are getting paid :shock:

Maybe you and John Dedes can catch up and remind each other how good you were...bit of mutual back slapping.
I was paid a staggering 10 pounds in bar credit. I was taking the piss.

I also play C's and Over 35's, don't talk me all the way to the B's

BeNatural
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BeNatural »

You would have a choice.

You could play at a club that charges that amount, or go to a club that charges less.

Options JD, options.

My parents would have liked to have sent me to private school, but the $10k fees were to expensive, so the other choices were cheaper schools, which i attended.

COLOSSUS
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by COLOSSUS »

Paleon Patros Germanos wrote:
Here - correct.

Edited for accuracy
:lol:
Hawkesy wrote:COLOSSUS...........Congratulations, you have won the title fair a square.

PLEASE WELCOME THE NEW WNID UP KING

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

In the 1960 to 1970 period my choice was simple eg play for the club I want, Hellas and it was free.
I went out and tried for the junior State teams eg under 14, 15 and 16? Obviously I was a stand out thus selected without bribes and it was free.

Sven
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Sven »

In the 1960 to 1970 period my choice was simple eg play for the club I want, Hellas and it was free.
I went out and tried for the junior State teams eg under 14, 15 and 16? Obviously I was a stand out thus selected without bribes and it was free.
In those days my neighbours dog turned up to the Hellas trials and was selected. All my neighbour had to say was that his dog was greek and he was selected and it was free.

It had nothing to do with talent and thats why you were selected JD.

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

Absolute disgrace that comment about Greeks and dogs a disgrace you should be banned from FN?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Absolute disgrace that comment about Greeks and dogs a disgrace you should be banned from FN?
In answer to your question, No.

Just-Me
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Just-Me »

Sven wrote:

In those days my neighbours dog turned up to the Hellas trials and was selected. All my neighbour had to say was that his dog was greek and he was selected and it was free.

It had nothing to do with talent and thats why you were selected JD.
Who talks more crap JD or you? If your going to bag someone at least do it with facts. Soccer is about passion not about money. If someone is stupid enough to pay you then good luck to you. When I played 99% player played the game cause they loved it. Money was a by-product.

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

Yes I to played for zip.