Very Interesting Today On The Radio

Do you like talking to yourself? Do you like continually talking about the same topic? Do you watch football games from outside the perimeter fence to avoid paying entry fees? Do you like reliving past glories over and over and over and over? If so then this is the forum might be for you. You can grind your axes to your hearts content in this forum.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Forum Admins

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Very Interesting Today On The Radio

Post by magnet »

Just-Me wrote:
magnet wrote: I'm not associated with Campbelltown but paying their coaches would have a big impact. Amateur Seniors won't get paid so that's a saving. FFSA fees higher. I only know that the financial statements given out at the AGM show exactly where the money goes. I can confirm that the club makes no profit.
Nor does our government but it does not mean they are using our taxes effectively.
That's the good thing about the AGM. You get to see exactly where the money has been spent.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

fball12 wrote: FFSA should force all clubs to publish Profit & Loss statements every year as part of their licence agreement.. After all, clubs are supposed to be Not for Profit organisations or are they?
My guess is if they saw the true figures of many clubs, the salary cap breaches would be shown up. So there are "figures" and there are "other figures" - guess which ones the FFSA would get.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

magnet wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:
Pie and Bovril wrote:AGM's are good because it gives the chance for whinging parents to come along and see exactly where the money goes and what hurdles the club has.
Why can some clubs run at a lot less costs than others?

Why is E&D so much cheaper than FFSA?

Why can you run an Amateur Senior club so much cheaper than a Federation Juniors?
I'm not associated with Campbelltown but paying their coaches would have a big impact. Amateur Seniors won't get paid so that's a saving. FFSA fees higher. I only know that the financial statements given out at the AGM show exactly where the money goes. I can confirm that the club makes no profit.
I would think "most" amateur senior coaches receive remuneration for their efforts. A lot of the top clubs would also be paying their players.

Why are any players outside of the A League being paid anyway?

BeNatural
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BeNatural »

God is an Englishman wrote: Why are any players outside of the A League being paid anyway?
Two reasons, Semi Professional players around the world in any sport are generally paid whether it be a small wage or a high wage.

The other reason is, a competitive edge. If you want to win the league and attract the better players to your club at a youth level, then you need to be in the top tier.

No disrespect, but the brand of a third tier FFSA club just doesnt attract the better players. This can be argued, but its the reality of our society.

Interesting fact is Plympton Bulldogs started as a low fee club, but with more players and the need for more grounds, and the bills rolling in, they are now actually charging just as much for their fees then the local NPL clubs.

I do not beleive U8 should be paying $1000 in fees. But what i am saying is that charging $1000 a season for fees for an older age group is not really an issue, when you have options. Hey i want a 70inch TV worth $6k, but instead i have a 55inch TV worth $1k. Options!

COLOSSUS
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by COLOSSUS »

Just-Me wrote:Too many people on here trying to justify cost. $1000 for U8 is not acceptable and simply criminal. Instead of justifying cost why not discuss ways to fix this.
Let me start

1. Pitches at most clubs are overused. Space is difficult to find at most times.

Do u8's need to train under-lights. Can they train on a weekend or after-school.

2. Zoning for players. Currently we have a free market. Anyone can play anywhere, which is resulting in regular strong clubs and weak clubs. Zoning and the point system will eliminate players traveling from one side of town to the other.

3. Amateur players receiving payments? Why the hell would you pay an amateur player? Is winning that important? What does a club really receive rather than bragging rights?

There are clubs that pay huge dollars to players way outside their area in order to boost the team quality. Local players miss out playing. Isn't an amateurs club number one priority to serve the local community.

4. New playing tops and training tops. Do we really need them?

5. Tracksuits and club bags- Yes they look great but again are they necessary?

I can go on but truth be told most here would rather provide justification to high fees rather than solutions. Bag John D all you want, on this he is right. Cost have risen but so have wages. In football cost have risen too much because clubs just want greater bragging rights. These bragging rights come at a huge cost and our destroying our game.
Another delusional peanut but let me give you some perspective all the same so you understand.

1. Pitches at most clubs are overused because the number of children wanting to play our game is many. A good thing for the sport I would have thought? That's not the fault of the clubs, some clubs work with their councils to find other usable space while that's just not an option for whatever reason for other clubs. It's also the reason why the government has announced the new funding which clubs like Modbury will receive to change their pitch from natural turf to AstroTurf.

Yes under 8s need to train under lights because you cannot expect parents to pick up kids from school and take them straight to training. Then you have the problem of coaches working their real jobs or do you expect them to just leave their jobs to conduct training?
They can't train weekends when they play weekends, how ignorant are you???

2. Zoning is a STUPID system and is irrelevant to your argument of high fees anyway so again I ask, how ignorant are you???

3. We aren't talking amateur clubs, we are talking FFSA clubs. What does Italy or England get for winning the World Cup??? The tag Champions and yes, bragging rights. I think after all these years it's fair to say that people play sport to win no matter the level. You are sounding more and more ignorant.

4. Yes we need new playing tops and training tops because if you were involved in a club as a working volunteer, you'd know clubs rely on things called SPONSORS. Those sponsors may change from year to year or more to the point, the amount of money they sponsor to a particular club may vary from year to year which means THE SPONSORS ON THE PLAYING GEAR CHANGES. Now your ignorance has turned to outright stupidity.

5. Track suits and club bags aren't given to players so they can look great, but bags so they can carry their gear and track suits so they can look in uniform which identifies the club they represent.
Whether the club supplies them a bag or not, they still need one to hold their sports gear in you peanut. Consider that clubs supply a couple/few hundred and you soon realise that the club obviously gets them at better prices than what each parent would if they went to a sports store but you knew that right??? Also, bcoz of the higher costs associated with everything these days, to keep costs as low as possible, most clubs only supply juniors with a track suit top or a hooded top but you also knew that right???

I could also go on to embarrass you but I won't because you are more ignorant than anything else. As a person who is part of a club committee, I know very well the costs of running a club as a WHOLE as I do the cost breakdowns of junior players. At Olympic, we actually try and factor our junior fess to break even with what we supply. Yes our fees are structured depending on age and we are probably one of the cheapest if not the cheapest in the NPL but you cannot compare one club to another based on the simple fact they're both football clubs but must understand that each clubs costs are different to another for a varying number of reasons. Stop being so bloody ignorant and in some cases stupid.

JD has NO idea and if you are giving him any credibility then you will very quickly be put into the same category as him. Anyone who compares the 70s to today shouldn't even be allowed to register a username on FN but rather should be registered at Glenside!!!
Hawkesy wrote:COLOSSUS...........Congratulations, you have won the title fair a square.

PLEASE WELCOME THE NEW WNID UP KING

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

Campbelltown charge so much due to paying their coach and players way above what most other clubs do.

That is why they ended up 2nd on the ladder - they paid for that position charging their Juniors excessive fees not reflecting the reality of actual costs incurred.

Most of their senior players never played juniors at Campbelltown and neither did their senior coach.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

BeNatural wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote: Why are any players outside of the A League being paid anyway?
Two reasons, Semi Professional players around the world in any sport are generally paid whether it be a small wage or a high wage.

The other reason is, a competitive edge. If you want to win the league and attract the better players to your club at a youth level, then you need to be in the top tier.

No disrespect, but the brand of a third tier FFSA club just doesnt attract the better players. This can be argued, but its the reality of our society.

Interesting fact is Plympton Bulldogs started as a low fee club, but with more players and the need for more grounds, and the bills rolling in, they are now actually charging just as much for their fees then the local NPL clubs.

I do not beleive U8 should be paying $1000 in fees. But what i am saying is that charging $1000 a season for fees for an older age group is not really an issue, when you have options. Hey i want a 70inch TV worth $6k, but instead i have a 55inch TV worth $1k. Options!
But my point is they're not actually good enough to justify being paid. Most NPL players would struggle to play Beazer Homes League but can get paid a lot more over here than you would at that level.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

fball12 wrote:Campbelltown charge so much due to paying their coach and players way above what most other clubs do.

That is why they ended up 2nd on the ladder - they paid for that position charging their Juniors excessive fees not reflecting the reality of actual costs incurred.
So, how many of the parents of said juniors have you asked to see if they consider it excessive? None is my bet, because as a parent who paid for three kids to plays sports, I was happy with what I got for my money.

As we've all pointed out to the great JD, if you can't afford a Commodore, drive a Gemini :wink:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

I don't think this topic is just relevant to SA but Australia wide.

A podcast that I listen to was discussing this from a Victorian/Melbourne perspective. There's no doubt that Junior fees are subsidizing the Senior teams (not paying wages, but reducing costs - there is a distinction). It's not just the clubs that are gouging parents but also these private academies, agreed there is a choice not to send your kids to these academies however they have found a niche due to the dissatisfaction with the quality of the service that clubs are serving up in the Juniors.

There are a myriad of issues leading us to where we are. However there must be a perception of value amongst parents as the participation rates are rising every year.
It's all in the Delivery!

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Brian the Postman wrote:I don't think this topic is just relevant to SA but Australia wide.

A podcast that I listen to was discussing this from a Victorian/Melbourne perspective. There's no doubt that Junior fees are subsidizing the Senior teams (not paying wages, but reducing costs - there is a distinction). It's not just the clubs that are gouging parents but also these private academies, agreed there is a choice not to send your kids to these academies however they have found a niche due to the dissatisfaction with the quality of the service that clubs are serving up in the Juniors.

There are a myriad of issues leading us to where we are. However there must be a perception of value amongst parents as the participation rates are rising every year.
Bingo, we have a winner. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

First thing, the FFSA does not offer an alternative, it's a cartel and there is no other choice. Pay up or fuck off.

The question is, is it working ? Pricing half the population out of the game so clubs can pay their seniors more than they’re worth. Is the NPL getting more supporters, more community engagement, are the extortionate fees producing the best talent. The prevailing logic seems to suggest that the higher the fees, the better the coaches and therefore the better the product yet most of Australia’s best players these days like Mooy, Rogic, Kruse & Smith seem to be coming from the grassroots regional and cheap clubs. At a diabolical $3000 a pop who’s the last decent player smfc have turned out. Add to this, once the A league clubs each get their juniors up and running it could well mean that this current cosy cartel is well and truly shiraz, and a good thing too.

Take a bunch of average 12 year old footballers, get them into an academy with an expensive A licensed coach and in 4 years what do you have? A bunch of over coached average 16 year old footballers

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Brian the Postman wrote:I don't think this topic is just relevant to SA but Australia wide.

Bingo, we have a winner. :lol:
Self interest is always a winner to the ones doing well out of it.

Just-Me
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Just-Me »

COLOSSUS have I hit a nerve. I can state that you name is exactly the type of person you are. (A colo - ASS) but truly I don't know you and you don't know me. It is a forum and I am entitled to my opinion. I have been on club committees and let me tell you, it seems it alot about power.
Committees need more people that care about the game and the kids than making themselves feel more valuable and powerful.

An U8 just wants to go out there and have fun. I have seen clubs and parents destroy kids because there treat that level of the game so seriously.

My opinions may not be perfect but they are my opinions. Many on here bag JD, and JD in all seriousness thrives on causing trouble but sometimes he is right.

How many players do you know these days that put on a club shirt and play for the shirt. Club loyalty these days seems non-existent. But in all honesty it's not just the players fault. I've been at clubs and seen loyal long term players booted from clubs when a new couch is appointed and he brings players from his old club with him.

You my friend may view this as OK but the game should be about the players. Player development is at an all time low. Why because it's cheaper to bring in and pay for the players you need rather than develop them yourself. If a club does this then why should a player remain loyal.

When I played you picked a club and stuck with them. These days parents of kids move around so much. I see kids changing clubs every year. If clubs don't have loyalty then players want have loyalty and visa-versa. No loyalty - Higher cost.

When I played I played for the shirt and was extremely proud to wear it. These days it's all about the money.

churchill
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by churchill »

Most clubs are not interested in identifying and keeping talented young players - they only consider junior players as a revenue source - how many junior players develop and go on to play in the senior team at the one club - if you're lucky 1 or 2 players stretching back to the u9s or u10s - a poor conversion rate

Most players disappear from the system once they reach the reserves level after all those years of "development" and paying the high fees doesn't seem to be worth it ?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

N5 1BH wrote:First thing, the FFSA does not offer an alternative, it's a cartel and there is no other choice. Pay up or fuck off.

The question is, is it working ? Pricing half the population out of the game so clubs can pay their seniors more than they’re worth. Is the NPL getting more supporters, more community engagement, are the extortionate fees producing the best talent. The prevailing logic seems to suggest that the higher the fees, the better the coaches and therefore the better the product yet most of Australia’s best players these days like Mooy, Rogic, Kruse & Smith seem to be coming from the grassroots regional and cheap clubs. At a diabolical $3000 a pop who’s the last decent player smfc have turned out. Add to this, once the A league clubs each get their juniors up and running it could well mean that this current cosy cartel is well and truly shiraz, and a good thing too.

Take a bunch of average 12 year old footballers, get them into an academy with an expensive A licensed coach and in 4 years what do you have? A bunch of over coached average 16 year old footballers
You're presupposing that parents send their kids to play sports because we want them to become professionals. I certainly didn't, they enjoyed playing, it kept them fit and off the streets, gave them a bit of discipline and team ethics and as an entertainment alternative, it was reasonably priced.
Danny Blanchflower

Animosity
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Animosity »

The username of the OP on this topic is very ironic :wink:

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Alf Stewart wrote:The username of the OP on this topic is very ironic :wink:
You know Matty, chucks a 5hit grenade into the forum and see who gets covered. :lol:
Danny Blanchflower

MORELESS
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by MORELESS »

if all these cretins bagging any club for raising fees should maybe get off their respective asses and attend club functions and help in some sort of fund raising for their club to ease the burden of increased costs

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

Just-Me wrote:COLOSSUS have I hit a nerve. I can state that you name is exactly the type of person you are. (A colo - ASS) but truly I don't know you and you don't know me. It is a forum and I am entitled to my opinion. I have been on club committees and let me tell you, it seems it alot about power.
Committees need more people that care about the game and the kids than making themselves feel more valuable and powerful.

An U8 just wants to go out there and have fun. I have seen clubs and parents destroy kids because there treat that level of the game so seriously.

My opinions may not be perfect but they are my opinions. Many on here bag JD, and JD in all seriousness thrives on causing trouble but sometimes he is right.

How many players do you know these days that put on a club shirt and play for the shirt. Club loyalty these days seems non-existent. But in all honesty it's not just the players fault. I've been at clubs and seen loyal long term players booted from clubs when a new couch is appointed and he brings players from his old club with him.

You my friend may view this as OK but the game should be about the players. Player development is at an all time low. Why because it's cheaper to bring in and pay for the players you need rather than develop them yourself. If a club does this then why should a player remain loyal.

When I played you picked a club and stuck with them. These days parents of kids move around so much. I see kids changing clubs every year. If clubs don't have loyalty then players want have loyalty and visa-versa. No loyalty - Higher cost.

When I played I played for the shirt and was extremely proud to wear it. These days it's all about the money.
Another one living in the past

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MORELESS wrote:if all these cretins bagging any club for raising fees should maybe get off their respective asses and attend club functions and help in some sort of fund raising for their club to ease the burden of increased costs
Yes, it's all about the parents doing all the fund raising rather than the clubs over charging

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

I don't know how many times JD has to be told, I have given detailed costings to him twice and others have done the same, but times have changed since he was a kid.

Back then the kids shirts (and sometimes even shorts & socks) were handed down year after year until they fell to bits, even the senior's strips were used for around three seasons before being handed down.

Some of the shirts were so long on the younger kids that the Mothers used to cut them in half so the kids didn't trip over them. :lol:

My wife had to actually do that for every shirt of one of the strips one of the u/9's teams I coached was given.

Pitches were of poor quality in the main and quite often the line markings were so faint you couldn't see them until you got close to them.

Most of the Junior teams games were refereed by the Home team's choice and some were so biased it used to cause fights between the parents.

The funny thing was, even back then there were people like JD claiming that the Juniors were subsidising the Seniors. :lol:[/quote]

Pitches are still bad, does Johnny really need a new shirt each year with his name on it. Lines have not changed. It all depended on club. I understand power and water is ridiculous. But some of these are cost are not required.[/quote]

New shirts every year and names on the shirt came from the Parents and their children not the clubs.

When the EPL & others started putting name on player's shirts all the kids started to want the same and the parents started to demand the clubs provide them and shirts had to be made to look like the real thing.

Then they all wanted a match quality ball to train with, etc, etc, and that's one reason the costs have gone up.

And as most clubs, like Campbelltown who were one of, if not the first, to do so, include Club membership for one parent in their fee structure, more junior's parents are attending AGM's and pushing for more and more 'professional' facilities for their kids to train and play with, that too is pushing up fees.

For the JD's of this world to continually claim that Juniors are supporting the Seniors is ridiculous and untrue, except for a handful of SASF clubs, as the majority of club's income these days come from the Major Sponsors, who want to be associated with the club's Senior teams.

The attractiveness of a club's Seniors is the thing that big sponsors want to be associated with, rather than the Juniors, and what attracts Juniors to a particular club.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

COLOSSUS
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by COLOSSUS »

magnet wrote:
Just-Me wrote:COLOSSUS have I hit a nerve. I can state that you name is exactly the type of person you are. (A colo - ASS) but truly I don't know you and you don't know me. It is a forum and I am entitled to my opinion. I have been on club committees and let me tell you, it seems it alot about power.

Another one living in the past
Exactly, which is why I'm not going to bother responding to this peanut. I refuted every point of his original post, he then does a JD in response by telling us how it was in the 70s. He's an oxygen thief when it comes to football :arrow:
Hawkesy wrote:COLOSSUS...........Congratulations, you have won the title fair a square.

PLEASE WELCOME THE NEW WNID UP KING

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:I don't know how many times JD has to be told, I have given detailed costings to him twice and others have done the same, but times have changed since he was a kid.

Back then the kids shirts (and sometimes even shorts & socks) were handed down year after year until they fell to bits, even the senior's strips were used for around three seasons before being handed down.

Some of the shirts were so long on the younger kids that the Mothers used to cut them in half so the kids didn't trip over them. :lol:

My wife had to actually do that for every shirt of one of the strips one of the u/9's teams I coached was given.

Pitches were of poor quality in the main and quite often the line markings were so faint you couldn't see them until you got close to them.

Most of the Junior teams games were refereed by the Home team's choice and some were so biased it used to cause fights between the parents.

The funny thing was, even back then there were people like JD claiming that the Juniors were subsidising the Seniors. :lol:
I'd love to see these detailed costings to justify $1,000 for an under 8.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

Old Master wrote:I don't know how many times JD has to be told, I have given detailed costings to him twice and others have done the same, but times have changed since he was a kid.

The funny thing was, even back then there were people like JD claiming that the Juniors were subsidising the Seniors. :lol:
Surely Campbelltown are one of the only ones charging that much for U8’s. The jump in fees usually occurs when miniroos move into Juniors. Most clubs are around $400 for U8’s.

Just-Me
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Just-Me »

Nice One Cyril wrote: You're presupposing that parents send their kids to play sports because we want them to become professionals. I certainly didn't, they enjoyed playing, it kept them fit and off the streets, gave them a bit of discipline and team ethics and as an entertainment alternative, it was reasonably priced.
To become a professional player it would be 5% coaching and 95% hard work from a player. Kids these days are more interested in xbox than hard work. Parents are doing what they want and not what the kids want.

terryball
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by terryball »

magnet wrote:
Pie and Bovril wrote:AGM's are good because it gives the chance for whinging parents to come along and see exactly where the money goes and what hurdles the club has.
Why can some clubs run at a lot less costs than others?

Why is E&D so much cheaper than FFSA?

Why can you run an Amateur Senior club so much cheaper than a Federation Juniors?
I'm not associated with Campbelltown but paying their coaches would have a big impact. Amateur Seniors won't get paid so that's a saving. FFSA fees higher. I only know that the financial statements given out at the AGM show exactly where the money goes. I can confirm that the club makes no profit.

Amateur seniors don't get paid. Tell him he's dreaming.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

terryball wrote:

Amateur seniors don't get paid. Tell him he's dreaming.
As GIAE says. Players in the NPL and State leagues aren’t good enough to get paid so God knows why players in Amateurs get paid.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Why don't you email a club and ask for one?

People used to ask for them all the time at AGM's and we just read out the details every year and they soon stopped asking when they found out that the Juniors were actually being subsidised by the club to the tune of about 10% more than their fees and sponsorship dollars combined.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:

People used to ask for them all the time at AGM's and we just read out the details every year and they soon stopped asking when they found out that the Juniors were actually being subsidised by the club to the tune of about 10% more than their fees and sponsorship dollars combined.
You have stated above that you have given them to him many times. Why can't you provide them to me?

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

Old Master wrote:

So what your saying is that is would actually cost $1100 to have an U8 play at your club?
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all