Under 14 Cup CC v NU

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Under 14 Cup CC v NU

Post by God is an Englishman »

Campbelltown City 35
Noarlunga 0

Can't even use the excuse that they needed the goal difference.

Disgusting behaviour from the coach. CC and FSA should be asking for an explanation..

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Re: Under 14 Cup CC v NU

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:17 pm Campbelltown City 35
Noarlunga 0

Disgusting behaviour from the coach. CC and FSA should be asking for an explanation..
Asking who for an explanation of what? What did the coach do wrong?
Ignore this signature

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

Noarlunga 0

So were you at the game were you?

Seriously you have NFI and before i start i want YOU to answer my first question

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

Bomber wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:41 am
Noarlunga 0

he played and scored 32 goals :roll:

SP999
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by SP999 »

What is the point of winning by more than 20 goals?

The coach could have played mainly the weaker players who tend to get less game time or played the defenders up front for a change, etc

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

SP999 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:38 am What is the point of winning by more than 20 goals?

The coach could have played mainly the weaker players who tend to get less game time or played the defenders up front for a change, etc
I guess you would have to be there to give proper comment, eg, what if he did rotate players, did try and let the opposition have possession for a while? And they still managed to get flogged? You cant really tell someone to stop trying because the opposition are cabernet can you? Do you stop the game half way through?
Part of development is knowing how to get a belting and react positively from it, not cuddle them and blame the better team.
Ignore this signature

SP999
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by SP999 »

Bomber wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:02 am
SP999 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:38 am What is the point of winning by more than 20 goals?

I guess you would have to be there to give proper comment, eg, what if he did rotate players, did try and let the opposition have possession for a while? And they still managed to get flogged? You cant really tell someone to stop trying because the opposition are cabernet can you? Do you stop the game half way through?
Part of development is knowing how to get a belting and react positively from it, not cuddle them and blame the better team.
Coaches have a duty to respect players and be fair - as in the FSA Code of Conduct.

Especially in the current COVID environment where kids are not exactly at their strongest mentally, I'd suggest a bit of empathy from coaches.

I doubt any mitigation of the score was attempted, having seen numerous junior coaches in the past, yelling for more goals when their team is already 10 goals ahead and complaining to refs about decisions. It happens regularly.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

SP999 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:03 pm

Coaches have a duty to respect players and be fair - as in the FSA Code of Conduct.

Especially in the current COVID environment where kids are not exactly at their strongest mentally, I'd suggest a bit of empathy from coaches.

I doubt any mitigation of the score was attempted, having seen numerous junior coaches in the past, yelling for more goals when their team is already 10 goals ahead and complaining to refs about decisions. It happens regularly.
So you'd rather manipulate a game in order to be "fair"? Goes against the grain of competitive sport.

Maybe at that age, if you are getting beaten 35-0, then maybe football is not your thing.

No wonder this country's football is getting worse. Its not trying to get better and emulate the better players and strive to improve, but rather relent, go slower in order to appease the "not so good" and keep some softies happy.

The age we live in............... :roll:
Ignore this signature

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

So if they took extra players off or played keeping off how would that have made the other team feel, anyway i CBF justifying this because there is no point with some people

SP999
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by SP999 »

Bomber wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:01 pm
SP999 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:03 pm

So you'd rather manipulate a game in order to be "fair"? Goes against the grain of competitive sport.

Maybe at that age, if you are getting beaten 35-0, then maybe football is not your thing.

No wonder this country's football is getting worse. Its not trying to get better and emulate the better players and strive to improve, but rather relent, go slower in order to appease the "not so good" and keep some softies happy.

The age we live in............... :roll:
There are plenty of good players in this country, as recent A-league games have demonstrated. Since some of the imports have gone home it has allowed local talent to shine. Too many imports kills the opportunity for youth to shine in a 1 Division National comp.

Any game at 35-0 is most likely crap football and doing nothing for either team. It's all ego driven rubbish football and probably half the goals were offside, since they wait for the ball in offside positions and the linesmen never flag the players since they don't know the offside rules.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Rookie wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:11 am
Noarlunga 0

So were you at the game were you?

Seriously you have NFI and before i start i want YOU to answer my first question
No, I wasn't.

Now you can start.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Noarlunga 0

An explanation of what he did in the game to help his players development.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:44 pm
Noarlunga 0

I imagine the Noarlunga coach would have said, I hope you all learned something today and reviewed some home truths and what areas they can work on.

The best the Campbelltown coach could have done (to limit the scoring) was maybe to get all his players to play on one knee?
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:46 am
Noarlunga 0

I imagine the Noarlunga coach would have said, I hope you all learned something today and reviewed some home truths and what areas they can work on.

The best the Campbelltown coach could have done (to limit the scoring) was maybe to get all his players to play on one knee?
There are many things he could have/should have/might have done to ensure both teams develop from the game.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:40 am
Noarlunga 0

There are many things he could have/should have/might have done to ensure both teams develop from the game.
Such as? Swap players?
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:07 am
Noarlunga 0

Such as? Swap players?
Swap player positions
Play weaker players
Play posession football
Aĺlow opposition to have ball in their half uncontested
Work on weaker feet
Remove players

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:45 am

Such as? Swap players?
Swap player positions
Play weaker players
Play posession football
Work on weaker feet
Remove players
In other words tank and/or manipulate the game (a form of cheating).

I wasn't there, but some of those actions could have been taken. Where do you draw the line?

Development is knowing/understanding how to react from the odd spanking.

Maybe I just underestimate HOW soft current society is.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:07 am
God is an Englishman wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:45 am

Such as? Swap players?
Swap player positions
Play weaker players
Play posession football
Work on weaker feet
Remove players
In other words tank and/or manipulate the game (a form of cheating).

I wasn't there, but some of those actions could have been taken. Where do you draw the line?

Development is knowing/understanding how to react from the odd spanking.

Maybe I just underestimate HOW soft current society is.
Yes, they may have happened.

It's not about being soft, it's about development. You don't learn anything from winning such an easy game, so the coach should bring in aspects to make it harder, a challenge and to help their development.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

But you accused a coach of disgusting behavior in the opening post, whereas at the least, having not attended, you simply didn't agree with possible certain "tactics".
I'm sure they will get a harder game in the coming weeks in which their development can be better tested.
Remember, cup competitions can create David v Goliath ties and the potential for the odd blow out.
Ignore this signature

SP999
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by SP999 »

Winning by more than 20 goals is just rubbish, doesn't matter how hard they try and justify.

Play your weaker players, especially up front, give them some game time, which they would appreciate and their parents.

Its Junior football - put it into perspective.

Use your big gun players in the finals, if you're actually that good.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

SP999 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:45 pm Winning by more than 20 goals is just rubbish, doesn't matter how hard they try and justify.

Play your weaker players, especially up front, give them some game time, which they would appreciate and their parents.

Its Junior football - put it into perspective.

Use your big gun players in the finals, if you're actually that good.
What if your weaker players are still that much better than their opposition's best?

More points to consider: it was a cup game, so goal difference is irrelevant and "big teams sometimes thrash smaller teams" - been like that since the game's inception where cup draws are made across several divisions. Cop it on the chin.

These aren't miniroos either (where score is not kept etc) - they are U/14's which have scores, tables etc.

If you want to take scores away at this level then god help the state of the game.

If I was playing in a team that was getting thumped, I'd find it more embarrassing if the opposition started tanking, playing with half a team etc - its mocking even more!
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:23 pm But you accused a coach of disgusting behavior in the opening post, whereas at the least, having not attended, you simply didn't agree with possible certain "tactics".
I'm sure they will get a harder game in the coming weeks in which their development can be better tested.
Remember, cup competitions can create David v Goliath ties and the potential for the odd blow out.
Having thought about it, I changed my mind. Some of them may have occurred and they were still too good.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

That is pathetic and I don't care what the circumstances were. It's starts getting uncomfortable at 10-0 but 35-0!!

Just Dave now
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Just Dave now »

yes terrible noarlunga !
I may not be perfect but I'm still the closest I have ever come across

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

Dave now from No 9 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:57 pm yes terrible noarlunga !
I have no idea who the Campbelltown coach is but he's an absolute numpty for letting that happen. They must have been scoring virtually straight from kick off given the time it would have taken to restart each goal. F**king disgraceful.

Just Dave now
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Just Dave now »

magnet wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:47 pm
Dave now from No 9 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:57 pm yes terrible noarlunga !
I have no idea who the Campbelltown coach is but he's an absolute numpty for letting that happen. They must have been scoring virtually straight from kick off given the time it would have taken to restart each goal. F**king disgraceful.
well if noarlunga players are acting like witches hats what would you expect ?
I may not be perfect but I'm still the closest I have ever come across

ac milan
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by ac milan »

As a coach of juniors winning by such a large margin is not good for either team.

Its an unfortunate demonstration of where football is in his State and country in general as blow-outs of 10+ goals happen week in week out in Miniroos and Junior football up to U15 - that's why many players at such age leave and are lost from the sport altogether.

In doing so, we lose young people who could have otherwise become not necessary career players but supporters of football - both local and A League in general, volunteers around clubs, referees and participants in the game as a whole.

We have created a false culture in junior football and the blame squarely lies on the "participating" culture in junior sports since the mid 1990s introduced by the administrators of the game, rather than players playing for club based on merit.

Clubs too are to blame for fostering as many teams as possible to use juniors to fund their ever increasing costs to run clubs and lack of money for grassroots development.

For my part, each club at each age group from U12+ should only have maximum of 2 teams per age group and we should do away with JPL and JSL.

Also, the FSA should introduce a mercy rule in Junior football for U11 to U14 such that when the score is a margin of 8 goals the match ceases.

It is difficult to coach players who continually lose and motivate them to develop and improve without consideration for the effect humiliating losses play on their psyche.

besa
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by besa »

Disgusting that's not good at all.. at the end off the day you are coaching juniors you not winning world cup.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

For my part, each club at each age group from U12+ should only have maximum of 2 teams per age group and we should do away with JPL and JSL.
on the one hand youre concerned we lose players because of demoralising losses but on the other you want to place a quota on numbers at clubs....where do the rest go????

Also, the FSA should introduce a mercy rule in Junior football for U11 to U14 such that when the score is a margin of 8 goals the match ceases.
what if a team is 8-0 up after 15 minutes??? do you stop the game then and deny everyone the rest of the game???
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

steves
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by steves »

As a coach of juniors I would of adjusted the team once the win was obvious. I would of reduced the number in my side to make the players work harder and learn to play with a numeric disadvantage. I would of explained my reasons to the players for this and the benefits it will bring going forward. The opposition may not be happy but being beaten 35-0 will not leave them happy anyway. My first responsibility is improving the players not just the result.