Junior coaches too biased favouring son

This forum is for the discussion of general coaching topics. Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

FootballNews is not responsible for any of the comments posted in this forum and this forum is moderated.

Moderator: Forum Admins

TexScot
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Re: Junior coaches too biased favouring son

Post by TexScot »

Easy solution, Parents not anywhere near the coaches or kids during training or games.

They stay on one side of pitch, kids and coaches on other.

If they still not happy, they can easily take my coaches shirt and jacket while I stand and watch my kids play.

Put up or shut up. No happy with how we do it, either do it yourself or find somewhere else for your kid to play.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In the ideal world you would not have parents coaching players. You would have experienced coaches for every team. This can be true at places like Barcelona, Manchester United but it is completely unrealistic in Australia where there is insufficient funds to pay compensation to junior coaches. Its like wanting everlasting world peace - a fantastic ideal but in reality its impossible. Without parents coaching junior teams in Australia the whole junior system would collapse as there are very few junior coaches that are not parents.

Times have changed. Today there are very few people who are willing to give up their time to coach kids unless they have some direct involvement with someone in the team. How many first team players (who incidentally are getting paid partly out of junior fees) do you see coaching a club's junior teams? How many ex-first team players do you see coaching a club's junior teams?

The challenge is to educate ALL junior coaches so they are as good as they can be - and almost more importantly - to educate the parents who are commonly the root cause of most of the problems.

Today's junior football is about learning, developing and participation. Its not about winning games. In that context, as long as every coach is giving fair playing time to his squad, it is very difficult to see how the bias of a parent coach can have too much of an impact. Yes it may affect the results but who cares as long as everyone is learning, developing and participating. If a parent coach is not giving fair playing time to all the players in the squad then that is a technical director/club issue. Not all clubs are as well run as others, not all clubs are one the same page when it comes to player development and participation.

Rather than criticise parent-coaches, I tip my hat to them. They are some of the unsung heroes of our beautiful game. They volunteer lots of hours and the vast majority have the best intentions and do a pretty decent job considering the amount of education and experience they have.

If your a parent and your unhappy about the coaching, do yourself and your child a very big favour and go and do some of the excellent FFSA coach education courses. When you have done those then you can either look at what coaching your child is getting with more understanding and appreciative eyes - or your can get involved yourself and make a contribution to raising the overall standard of coaching in Australia.

Jett
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Jett »

admin wrote:In the ideal world you would not have parents coaching players. You would have experienced coaches for every team. This can be true at places like Barcelona, Manchester United but it is completely unrealistic in Australia where there is insufficient funds to pay compensation to junior coaches. Its like wanting everlasting world peace - a fantastic ideal but in reality its impossible. Without parents coaching junior teams in Australia the whole junior system would collapse as there are very few junior coaches that are not parents.

Times have changed. Today there are very few people who are willing to give up their time to coach kids unless they have some direct involvement with someone in the team. How many first team players (who incidentally are getting paid partly out of junior fees) do you see coaching a club's junior teams? How many ex-first team players do you see coaching a club's junior teams?

The challenge is to educate ALL junior coaches so they are as good as they can be - and almost more importantly - to educate the parents who are commonly the root cause of most of the problems.

Today's junior football is about learning, developing and participation. Its not about winning games. In that context, as long as every coach is giving fair playing time to his squad, it is very difficult to see how the bias of a parent coach can have too much of an impact. Yes it may affect the results but who cares as long as everyone is learning, developing and participating. If a parent coach is not giving fair playing time to all the players in the squad then that is a technical director/club issue. Not all clubs are as well run as others, not all clubs are one the same page when it comes to player development and participation.

Rather than criticise parent-coaches, I tip my hat to them. They are some of the unsung heroes of our beautiful game. They volunteer lots of hours and the vast majority have the best intentions and do a pretty decent job considering the amount of education and experience they have.

If your a parent and your unhappy about the coaching, do yourself and your child a very big favour and go and do some of the excellent FFSA coach education courses. When you have done those then you can either look at what coaching your child is getting with more understanding and appreciative eyes - or your can get involved yourself and make a contribution to raising the overall standard of coaching in Australia.
Well said. I totally agree...