Amateur Under 18's in Northern Suburbs

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

htfac
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Amateur Under 18's in Northern Suburbs

Post by htfac »

BPBC wrote:
htfac wrote:
I can remember that there was a guideline at the Downs in place to only have a coach for two years as for most of my early junior years my coach changed every couple of years. It was probably because of Des, and the reality of getting junior coaches, that the guidlines were dropped.
I might be wrong but the team that Des coached at the Downs during the later 70's and early 80's had players like Alan Mottram, Richard and David Hughes, Matt Peace, Andy Dreyer, Steve Roach, amongst others. He left the Downs and took most of the team to Elizabeth City and has been coaching Feds since.
Not sure of that team wouldn't be surprised if he coached moe than 1. The team he took to 10 years undefeated was from 1980+ names like Matt Koutafidis, Shannon Stacey, Craig McCall, David Fenton, Gelson Pelan and so on.
No you're right. Des coached a year behind Mottsy, but that team did have Andy Dryer and Richard Hughes in it.

KING NUGGETT
Star Player
Star Player

Post by KING NUGGETT »

jackdogs wrote:having coached against gweet for almost 5 years and being in total admiration for the quality of game he had his teams playing. He had some really talented players in his squad but at the same time he gave equal time to those who had lesser ability. He is a great ambassador for the Parafield Gardens Soccer Club.

As a coach of an E&D team for the last 9 years I have come accross a lot of different personalities within the coaching fraternity but all share the same passion, they want to see all their teams and kids enjoy the game and maybe get a win here and there. I am always in admiration of the Lads who coach the teams from Barossa and Districts Club who are always up against the odds getting numbers for games. There kids play with passion even if they are getting smashed on the park, it is a real credit to those involved with the club and their parents.

I cant ever see the need for an Under 18's comp in the amatuer league as E&D clubs provide great feeder not only to their clubs but other clubs in the area. I know of lads who played for Ingle Farm Juniors who played for Bosna in the seniors and held their own against older competition also lads at our club always get the opportunity to train and play with our senior teams.
I strongly disagree, I believe it is a Great thing to not only have the Under 18 Competition but also to also allow dual registration with E&D & the SAASL Most of the boys in this Competion are 16 & can play 2 more years with kids there size before Playing against Men & also the kids with the ability to step up to Men's Football can. I believe its a Great Enititive from both Associations Well Done!!!

SAASL DIV.1 CHAMPIONS 73,75,78,02,10,11,13
CHALLENGE CUP WINNERS 74,75,80,08,10,11,13
SAASL DIV.1 RES. CHAMPIONS 71,75,77,78,79,94,11,13
RES. CUP WINNERS 73,75,76,13
CHAMPIONS OF CHAMPIONS 10
CICHANOWSKI SHIELD 90,08,11,12,14

Est.1966

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

I coach a school side and if I was told I had to give up after 3 years then I wouldn't take on another side.

I coach my son's team and do that to help him and his mates out. I wouldn't be interested in doing any other team and the commitments would be too much and clash with actually being able to watch him play.

lisbon lion
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by lisbon lion »

God is an Englishman wrote:I coach a school side and if I was told I had to give up after 3 years then I wouldn't take on another side.

I coach my son's team and do that to help him and his mates out. I wouldn't be interested in doing any other team and the commitments would be too much and clash with actually being able to watch him play.
agreed i think ther would be quite a few in the same boat over the years

POLONIAROCS
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by POLONIAROCS »

very good idea but it should be under 21 or even under 23.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

by 17, surely they'd be looking to play adult football rather than junior comps. I know I did, from 16 I have played in mens comps.

Cornflakes
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Cornflakes »

Not sure if it's in the kids best interest playing at both levels! I am all for 16-18 year olds playing senior football (If they are up to it!). However all kids from 16-18 surely need to be totally focussed on one or the other not running around in a game prior to playing Seniors (A/B/C Grade) on a Sunday. The challenge for these young fellas should be to push for ‘B grade; some of them maybe even A grade depending on the player. The reason for them coming up is for these players to experience a greater level of football played at senior level, where they will learn and develop their skills at a lot faster pace. Are the 16 - 18 year olds just filling in for a senior team when they are short? Or will they be expected to play two games every week. Asking for trouble if they are going to play twice every week IMO, someone going to get hurt! These players will have to be at the peak of there game to compete/contribute at a senior level!
As I said definitely not against these young adults playing at this level as our club has several players this year playing in the A's, B's and C's, Just think clubs need to be careful! Think having an under 18’s is a great idea for the guys that are developing a little bit later and are not ready to take the next step, but surely if they are good enough to play senior football then its in the clubs best interest to get these guys training with your senior squad and have them focusing on playing senior football for their own personal development.
Just my opinion!

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

My 2 cents on it and what Ingle Farm are doing.

The extra team we have this year is to accomodate players who have previously played at the Juniors and are looking for the next step up. So many 17-21 year olds are lost to the game as they are either not good enough to make the Federation or they feel uncomfortable playing against Men. We are trying to bring a large group over in one hit to make it easier on them to play as they will be playing with their mates. There would be about 4-5 already who have played in our B team.

I don't think their needs to be a seperate league for and U21's, U23's etc but anyway clubs can encourage players to play, no matter what standard has to be a good thing. Clubs are built on their players and the number of helpers. I joke around about my ability but its fair to say its limited at best. I have still won a lot of Reserves titles and cups which Ingle Farm won money for. More importanly for the club, people like myself, my brother, Josh, Devon and others have joined our committee. In my time as President, we would have had nearly $1.2 million spent of clubroom upgrades, pitches, lighting, fridges, equipment etc.

My point is, its not always the good players you have to recruit. Players who put something back into the club are just as important. If they aren't blessed with a heap of skill, it shouldn't mean that there is no where for these people to play.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Cornflakes wrote: Or will they be expected to play two games every week. Asking for trouble if they are going to play twice every week IMO, someone going to get hurt!

Surely 1 16/17 year old is more than capable of running out 2 games in 2 days. I know I was. I played 2 games most weekends for 10 years.

Cornflakes
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Cornflakes »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Cornflakes wrote: Or will they be expected to play two games every week. Asking for trouble if they are going to play twice every week IMO, someone going to get hurt!

Surely 1 16/17 year old is more than capable of running out 2 games in 2 days. I know I was. I played 2 games most weekends for 10 years.
Not saying a player cant, just saying the player will not be at his best! If that player is to get tired and lazy that’s when they can get themselves into trouble. Never said that it could not be done all I was doing was asking if it’s in the player and clubs best interest. If I was a coach of one of the senior sides must say I would prefer my younger players to be fresh and ready to go not running the risk of rocking up limping from a earlier game.
I believe, but stand corrected; it’s 2 games in 1 day about 2 hours apart if they are to play Under18's and B grade?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Cornflakes wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:

Not saying a player cant, just saying the player will not be at his best! If that player is to get tired and lazy that’s when they can get themselves into trouble. Never said that it could not be done all I was doing was asking if it’s in the player and clubs best interest. If I was a coach of one of the senior sides must say I would prefer my younger players to be fresh and ready to go not running the risk of rocking up limping from a earlier game.
I believe, but stand corrected; it’s 2 games in 1 day about 2 hours apart if they are to play Under18's and B grade?
If the U18's game would be on the same day then I agree with you.

If it's seperate days then I really don't see an issue with it. Apart from the injury risk (my sunday manager said he used to dread his phone ringing at 5pm on a saturday because it would be someone pulling out after getting injured).

KING NUGGETT
Star Player
Star Player

Post by KING NUGGETT »

It will be used exactly the same as the Reserves are to the First Team if a player is in excellent form & a spot arises he'll be given a Oppertunity. And on the other hand if the kid is struggling to adjust to Men's football after that oppertunity he can just go back to the Under 18's, when in the past they'd just give the sport away...

Win... Win...

SAASL DIV.1 CHAMPIONS 73,75,78,02,10,11,13
CHALLENGE CUP WINNERS 74,75,80,08,10,11,13
SAASL DIV.1 RES. CHAMPIONS 71,75,77,78,79,94,11,13
RES. CUP WINNERS 73,75,76,13
CHAMPIONS OF CHAMPIONS 10
CICHANOWSKI SHIELD 90,08,11,12,14

Est.1966

BlackBrian_7
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BlackBrian_7 »

Jay Slowly Running wrote:My 2 cents on it and what Ingle Farm are doing.

The extra team we have this year is to accomodate players who have previously played at the Juniors and are looking for the next step up. So many 17-21 year olds are lost to the game as they are either not good enough to make the Federation or they feel uncomfortable playing against Men. We are trying to bring a large group over in one hit to make it easier on them to play as they will be playing with their mates. There would be about 4-5 already who have played in our B team.

I don't think their needs to be a seperate league for and U21's, U23's etc but anyway clubs can encourage players to play, no matter what standard has to be a good thing. Clubs are built on their players and the number of helpers. I joke around about my ability but its fair to say its limited at best. I have still won a lot of Reserves titles and cups which Ingle Farm won money for. More importanly for the club, people like myself, my brother, Josh, Devon and others have joined our committee. In my time as President, we would have had nearly $1.2 million spent of clubroom upgrades, pitches, lighting, fridges, equipment etc.

My point is, its not always the good players you have to recruit. Players who put something back into the club are just as important. If they aren't blessed with a heap of skill, it shouldn't mean that there is no where for these people to play.
Can't agree more with what you are saying. The sport should continue to be inclusive of all abilities.

If there is demand for this competition then it sounds like a good thing.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

I've said it before...many Downs players debut for the Seniors at 16/17 or less (myself included) ..often we were surrounded by several senior ex-federation players and experienced former juniors aleady in the first team...young starters included Alan Mottram, Jai Foreman, Andrew Thompson, Andy Hutchins, Michael Kenyon, Dave Swann, Colin Smith, Neil Edwards, Gary Dalglish, Adrew Cooke, Reiner Hain, Michael Fidler, Malcolm Holmes ...etc.etc
Most of us were also playing some U/16 or U/18's games the same week....dual registered under 18's/Seniors can work fine.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

lisbon lion
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by lisbon lion »

swannsong wrote:I've said it before...many Downs players debut for the Seniors at 16/17 or less (myself included) ..often we were surrounded by several senior ex-federation players and experienced former juniors aleady in the first team...young starters included Alan Mottram, Jai Foreman, Andrew Thompson, Andy Hutchins, Michael Kenyon, Dave Swann, Colin Smith, Neil Edwards, Gary Dalglish, Adrew Cooke, Reiner Hain, Michael Fidler, Malcolm Holmes ...etc.etc
Most of us were also playing some U/16 or U/18's games the same week....dual registered under 18's/Seniors can work fine.
you had me there swanny until you got to Malcolm Holmes :lol: :lol: :lol:

jackdogs
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by jackdogs »

I strongly disagree, I believe it is a Great thing to not only have the Under 18 Competition but also to also allow dual registration with E&D & the SAASL Most of the boys in this Competion are 16 & can play 2 more years with kids there size before Playing against Men & also the kids with the ability to step up to Men's Football can. I believe its a Great Enititive from both Associations Well Done!!!

Not sure what you are disagreeing with here Nugget as I suggested more or less the same thing. I just dont see the need for clubs in the Northern Suburbs to have an Under 18's team in the Amatuer league BECAUSE the E&D clubs already have the colts who can dual registered!!! Works well for all.
"I walk the line" Johnny Cash the man in black

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

lisbon lion wrote:
swannsong wrote:I've said it before...many Downs players debut for the Seniors at 16/17 or less (myself included) ..often we were surrounded by several senior ex-federation players and experienced former juniors aleady in the first team...young starters included Alan Mottram, Jai Foreman, Andrew Thompson, Andy Hutchins, Michael Kenyon, Dave Swann, Colin Smith, Neil Edwards, Gary Dalglish, Adrew Cooke, Reiner Hain, Michael Fidler, Malcolm Holmes ...etc.etc
You picked him ahead of me a few times :x

lisbon lion
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by lisbon lion »

swannsong wrote:
lisbon lion wrote:
You picked him ahead of me a few times :x
your not still s h i t t y about that are youmate that was a long time and we all spent some on the bench over the years....none of us enjoyed it just part of the game

Rodent
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Rodent »

lisbon lion wrote:you had me there swanny until you got to Malcolm Holmes :lol: :lol: :lol:
swannsong wrote:You picked him ahead of me a few times :x
lisbon lion wrote:your not still s h i t t y about that are youmate that was a long time and we all spent some on the bench over the years....none of us enjoyed it just part of the game
Lippy you know swanny has a good memory.....hard to forgive anyone for putting you on the bench especially when your a keeper !!!
Every Rat has his day !!

lisbon lion
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by lisbon lion »

its a fair point ratsack but i was lot younger and a bit sillier when i first started coaching at the downs :oops:

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

lisbon lion wrote: your not still s h i t t y about that are youmate that was a long time and we all spent some on the bench over the years....none of us enjoyed it just part of the game
Not at all lisbon...you were laughing at Malcolm's inclusion on the list of names...I was merely indicating that you must have rated him....he was quite a lively on field player when he was 16-17.....hence why I mentioned him. :D

lisbon lion
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by lisbon lion »

swannsong wrote:
lisbon lion wrote: your not still s h i t t y about that are youmate that was a long time and we all spent some on the bench over the years....none of us enjoyed it just part of the game
Not at all lisbon...you were laughing at Malcolm's inclusion on the list of names...I was merely indicating that you must have rated him....he was quite a lively on field player when he was 16-17.....hence why I mentioned him. :D
yes i understand that mate...he was one that escaped the memory bank...old timers setting in

Rodent
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Rodent »

lisbon lion wrote:its a fair point ratsack but i was lot younger and a bit sillier when i first started coaching at the downs :oops:
well your intelligence hasnt improved with your age still a MONG !!! :lol:
Every Rat has his day !!

lisbon lion
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by lisbon lion »

Rodent wrote:
lisbon lion wrote:its a fair point ratsack but i was lot younger and a bit sillier when i first started coaching at the downs :oops:
true enough probably got worse.....still havnt stooped low enough to start licking windows yet :lol:

Rodent
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Rodent »

lisbon lion wrote:
Rodent wrote:
true enough probably got worse.....still havnt stooped low enough to start licking windows yet :lol:

no you just have your face pushed up against them looking at an empty trophy case !!!!
Every Rat has his day !!

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Rodent wrote:
lisbon lion wrote: true enough probably got worse.....still havnt stooped low enough to start licking windows yet :lol:

no you just have your face pushed up against them looking at an empty trophy case !!!!
Might be wrong, but I think Lisbon might have been a playing member of more trophy winning sides than yourself Rodent :)

Rodent
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Rodent »

swannsong wrote:
Rodent wrote:
lisbon lion wrote: true enough probably got worse.....still havnt stooped low enough to start licking windows yet :lol:

Might be wrong, but I think Lisbon might have been a playing member of more trophy winning sides than yourself Rodent :)

Sad to admit.. but that is true my personal cabinet is empty :( my son has more trophies than me ..!!!
Every Rat has his day !!

lisbon lion
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by lisbon lion »

probably true swanny but no need for self embelishment

ExtraTime
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by ExtraTime »

Rodent that's not true .... I'm sure there is a basketball trophy in there :wink:

lefty
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by lefty »

bloodypassit wrote:Rodent that's not true .... I'm sure there is a basketball trophy in there :wink:
Its mine :x
I eat football, I sleep football, I breathe football. I'm not mad, I'm just passionate....Thierry Henry