15 to 18 yr olds playing amateurs topic.

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

leo64
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

15 to 18 yr olds playing amateurs topic.

Post by leo64 »

I have coached 16. 17. Superleague. Bar top 2 to 3 teams it's great to see these youngsters playing div A. I know 2 lads from I think ingle farm and Elizabeth scored on debut. Also Immanuel 16 yr old scored debut and again next week. I think good grounding for premier super league etc for these boys. What's everyone's opinion. I think more youngsters the better.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Re: 15 to 18 yr olds playing amateurs topic.

Post by swannsong »

leo64 wrote:I have coached 16. 17. Superleague. Bar top 2 to 3 teams it's great to see these youngsters playing div A. I know 2 lads from I think ingle farm and Elizabeth scored on debut. Also Immanuel 16 yr old scored debut and again next week. I think good grounding for premier super league etc for these boys. What's everyone's opinion. I think more youngsters the better.
Agree...have mentioned before..
Myself, my brother Dave Swann, Alan Mottram, Andrew Thompson, Jai Foreman, Andy Hutchins and many others have played part or full seasons with Elizabeth Downs over the years between the ages of 15-17.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

robinfriday10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by robinfriday10 »

div 1 sunday keeper upsetting the underdown park hierachy bout that age swanny :lol: :wink:
things happen for a reason

jogger
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by jogger »

robinfriday10 wrote:div 1 sunday keeper upsetting the underdown park hierachy bout that age swanny :lol: :wink:
you are not allowed to discuss your son on the forum robin! :P

robinfriday10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by robinfriday10 »

as an unpartial person :( there isnt much i can say on these forums... maybe............ MAN CITY CHAMPIONS :D :D
sorry wrong room :lol:

leo64
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by leo64 »

I think good for the league and game. I know the 3 boys 15 and 16 and 17 haven't enjoyed and played so well. 2 playing As and 15. Bs. Good on them

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

I played adult football from the age of 15. It toughened me up and taught me more about the game than playing alongside kids would ever have done.

LosMerengues20
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by LosMerengues20 »

I think if you put youngsters amongst some older experienced players, especially in some Div 1 teams where we have/had players like Westervelt, Day, Brooks, Agius etc who have played at a high level, they are bound to learn. You are not going to learn and gain experience playing amongst other 16/17 year olds. I think it is also a wake-up for young players moving across from Feds to SAASL that youth, speed, skill and flair isn't everything, sometimes brains and experience wins you games.

MONTGOMERY SPLIFT
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by MONTGOMERY SPLIFT »

God is an Englishman wrote:I played adult football from the age of 15. It toughened me up and taught me more about the game than playing alongside kids would ever have done.
i find it hard to believe that YOU played football !

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MONTGOMERY SPLIFT wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:I played adult football from the age of 15. It toughened me up and taught me more about the game than playing alongside kids would ever have done.
i find it hard to believe that YOU played football !
:?

Golden_Boots
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Golden_Boots »

Inter and Grove seems to have a few yound lads in the first team picture

jogger
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by jogger »

robinfriday10 wrote:as an unpartial person :( there isnt much i can say on these forums... maybe............ MAN CITY CHAMPIONS :D :D
You can't claim a title if you buy it... oh wait, why not, the downs will!!!! :lol:

bhoys_67
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by bhoys_67 »

i think its fantastic for saasl that we have so many youngsters coming through the ranks this year..i made my first team debut at the age of 15 and learnt alot off the older lads at the club..alot of the younger players (especially the ones from EDJSA) tend to either play long balls or get the ball, head down and just follow the byline. playing with a few older heads teaches them about being composed on the ball,look up and take a touch. these skills only come with time and playing around players where you can absorb as much off there styles as possible.
You're too fond of Charlie Gallagher and Harry Hood. You wouldn't win a league with 11 Charlie Gallaghers or Harry Hoods

robinfriday10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by robinfriday10 »

jogger wrote:You can't claim a title if you buy it
sorry jogger........we've claimed it

as do most teams in most leagues....its all relevant

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Ibelieve »

Good on the lads for playing saasl, they're most likely sick of the politics and favoritism in federation, and mistreated. They just want to play! some dads and mums on committees for the wrong reasons.
I've seen some youngsters in Amateurs and they're all doing great!

legga
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by legga »

jogger wrote:
robinfriday10 wrote:as an unpartial person :( there isnt much i can say on these forums... maybe............ MAN CITY CHAMPIONS :D :D
You can't claim a title if you buy it... oh wait, why not, the downs will!!!! :lol:

You knob I suppose the vale had brooksy and westers there for naff all,I think not. Parafield and Florina paid their players naff all in thier championship sides and who could forget inter winning all thier titles by paying naff all.
There is no I in team, but there is a u in suck...

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Ibelieve wrote:Good on the lads for playing saasl, they're most likely sick of the politics and favoritism in federation, and mistreated. They just want to play! some dads and mums on committees for the wrong reasons.
You could be right, but there again you could be wrong. I know four lads that have gone from FFSA juniors to SAASL this year - at least two of them are lazy little gits (including Stitch Jnr) who found training three times a week all too much; another could well be for the same reason although I think part time job and skill level have something to do with that. The fourth just wants a kick around with his mates.

I also met another junior who went from Fed to SAASL and has gone back to Feds this year who said playing in the amateurs was the worst move he could have made at this stage of his 'career'.
Time for some righteous indignation

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Stitch This wrote:
Ibelieve wrote:Good on the lads for playing saasl, they're most likely sick of the politics and favoritism in federation, and mistreated. They just want to play! some dads and mums on committees for the wrong reasons.
You could be right, but there again you could be wrong. I know four lads that have gone from FFSA juniors to SAASL this year - at least two of them are lazy little gits (including Stitch Jnr) who found training three times a week all too much; another could well be for the same reason although I think part time job and skill level have something to do with that. The fourth just wants a kick around with his mates.

I also met another junior who went from Fed to SAASL and has gone back to Feds this year who said playing in the amateurs was the worst move he could have made at this stage of his 'career'.
Concur - from a personal level, went as a 15 yo from a successful junior fed team that included Peter Rankin (went on to play NSL), Steve Witwicki (prolific scorer with Polonia and later Croatia feds) then in the late 70's decided to have a year off, then played SAASL a year later - basically ended any hope of moving forward as a player. One of my biggest ever regrets!
Ignore this signature

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Stitch This wrote:

It depends on what you make of it....maybe he considered it the "worst" move because he wasn't good enought to cut it or the more experienced players were able to read the game better.
For every negative story there might be a positive story.
Bomber....maybe it was the year off was what made the difference :|
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

robinfriday10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by robinfriday10 »

nathan day played for inter as a 16 year old, didnt do him any harm...

last year pontians keeper(17 y.o) Josh had an outstanding season after crossing from Enfields reserves, this year has now crossed back to Adelaide city reserves, hasnt harmed him.

Can give you a learning curve you wont get from playing with 18-21 year olds in FFSA 19s/reserves

East Boy
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by East Boy »

I think its a great idea and I have always been one to be pushing the younger ones to go back to feds if they want to give it another crack. They will usually come back once they finish there anyways so you might only lose them short term.
I just hate it when you are playing an 17year old, they square up to you after a challenge, hand bags after that and all the youngsters team mates play the 'dont you feel tough taking on a 17 year old'.
But usually will only strengthen the league having young guns playing and enjoying the amateur culutre you dont usually get at feds.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

swannsong wrote:
Stitch This wrote:

It depends on what you make of it....maybe he considered it the "worst" move because he wasn't good enought to cut it or the more experienced players were able to read the game better.
For every negative story there might be a positive story.
Bomber....maybe it was the year off was what made the difference :|
Absolutely! But I did still play with the high school team and all players were linked with fed clubs. I was previously one of the first picked, but after stopping feds, I seemed to lack a yard of pace, was more laid back in approach and seemed to drop back in the pecking order. I think it was more the week in, week out intensity at training that was missing, whereas the amateur side trained only once a week, and was usually just a few laps and a game. My own fault in the end - sex, drugs, rock'nroll and fast cars seemed to be more important at the time, which didnt help. Cant change things now, so just reminisce!
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:My own fault in the end - sex, drugs, rock'nroll and fast cars seemed to be more important at the time, which didnt help.
I think that's the correct answer here. I look at the standard I was playing at 16 and moved to men's football and it was a great learning curve. However, booze and birds were more important than playing football. I stopped playing for 2 years because I wondered what the point of playing was after being released from my club.