SAASL offer to FFSA State League clubs

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Der kaiser
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: SAASL offer to FFSA State League clubs

Post by Der kaiser »

Wow - interesting times ahead.

What happens if Nab for example get automatic entry to Div 1 say, but then all or the majority of players leave because of the move to saasl which I would think was Likely. Once these club's are gone from ffsa, there are no guarantees of their playing lists, so assuming they would be div 1 quality is naive.

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

There's very little point in debating potential fixture lists when we do not know how many teams are moving across.

The segmentation of football in SA is something that needs to be dealt with, and if we can unify football under one organisation, be that the SAASL or the FFSA it can only be a good thing.

If there was a single body, then I would also like to see a range of policies introduced for the good of the game, including limiting the amount of money clubs can charge for juniors to play the game and making all player payments publicly available.

web
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by web »

A good example would be Port Pirie going directly into sunday div 2 , they where then relegated.
You are more than welcome to Bring It On.

HAIL HAIL

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

acu_falcon wrote:I disagree, if you look at the tier structure of English football there are many parallel leagues and the league below 2 parallel leagues is still just one tier below.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_fo ... gue_system

The pyramid system is VERY different though, there is no such as thing as the top half will form the new premier division etc..

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

pernunz wrote:There's very little point in debating potential fixture lists when we do not know how many teams are moving across.

The segmentation of football in SA is something that needs to be dealt with, and if we can unify football under one organisation, be that the SAASL or the FFSA it can only be a good thing.

If there was a single body, then I would also like to see a range of policies introduced for the good of the game, including limiting the amount of money clubs can charge for juniors to play the game and making all player payments publicly available.
I couldn't give a cabernet about the unification but your point about fixture lists is apt and that's what I said earlier. We are going to play all year to perhaps be told a week before the new season that 2012 was pointless.

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

web wrote:A good example would be Port Pirie going directly into sunday div 2 , they where then relegated.
Technically they merged with USC lion then just changed name, colours and ground, allowing USC to move to Saturday comps
ImageImage

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

Blueblood wrote:
DOC wrote: i think everyone should wait and see what comes out of all of this then judge, saasl will tweek this depending on response or may pull it if ffsa change plans
Well, everyone waiting and seeing is hardly giving them a response. Are you sure you are a doctor? :P
As I said both proposals will change, let's wait until they do
ImageImage

De Voyeur
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by De Voyeur »

DOC wrote:
web wrote:A good example would be Port Pirie going directly into sunday div 2 , they where then relegated.
Technically they merged with USC lion then just changed name, colours and ground, allowing USC to move to Saturday comps
Got to love a technicality! :lol:

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

I imagine that the only team that will realistically come down will be Gawler. Then you just:

- promote 3 from Div 2 (relegate 2 from Div 1) to create a 12 team Div 1.
- promote 4 from Div 3 (relegate 2 from Div 2) to create a 10 team Div 2.
- etc.

With the cash problems NAB have with their council they'll probably dissolve rather than head back to SAASL. Best they just merge with Athelstone on Sundays.

web
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by web »

DOC wrote:
if they had merged with USC lion they then should have part of Lions name in theres, as is a league requirement, that was just another dodgy deal done with the league.
You are more than welcome to Bring It On.

HAIL HAIL

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

web wrote:
DOC wrote:
if they had merged with USC lion they then should have part of Lions name in theres, as is a league requirement, that was just another dodgy deal done with the league.
With or By????

Wraith
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Wraith »

Dear Club Chairman/President/Delegate

I refer to correspondence (below) issued yesterday from the South Australian Amateur Soccer League regarding the 2013 FFSA competitions.

Football Federation SA is disappointed with the content of the correspondence and the spirit of cooperation is inconsistent with the direction of the FFSA in inviting SAASL to be involved in some key initiatives of the FFSA namely;
1.       The Facilities Strategy
2.       The Respect Program
3.       The Strategic Plan for Football
4.       And the 2012 Awards evening.

Further at the meeting held with SAASL representatives the matter of Affiliation was raised. FFSA formally requested a meeting to discuss Affiliation on the 18th of May and were unaware that such an email was to be issued by SAASL. In the spirit of cooperation FFSA remains committed to resolving the matter of affiliation.

In relation to the 2013 competition it has been stated at previous President/Club Chairman meetings that all clubs will be catered for in the Federation structure. This statement remains.

Kind regards

Michael Carter
Chief Executive Officer
FOOTBALL FEDERATION SA

BPBC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BPBC »

DOC wrote:
No they didnt, that was the original (convinient) plan, however it fell through so both teams just got given a free ride, as brand new clubs, into respective div 3 in sat and div 2 sunday. Look where both are now.

Would hope the saasl wont make a call like that again without consulting its paying membership base

Thunderstruck
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Thunderstruck »

swannsong wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:
Sorry Swannie but your knowledge is normally up there with the best on saasl. Take it as a compliment that we all expected better.

Isn't one called Sturt Lions and the other called Sturt Marion?

Could be worse, could be Modbury Jets and Modbury Jets.
My forte is probably more SAASL Sunday Divisions as the SAASL Saturday Leagues have only really grown following changes in the State's retail trading hours.
I nearly joined Sturt Marion when Roy Ainscough was there briefly as a coach.
Don't know a great deal about Sturt Lions....remember my brother playing for APAC against Orange Sturt back in the 70's and I did pre-season with Blackwood at Karinya Reserve in the mid to late 80's (John Van Der Veeken was team manager and Arthur Ruttley was coach back then)...I think these clubs formed the basis of the current Sturt Lions.
I was under the impression that Sturt Lions were only created (or re-created) to satisfy FFSA's rules to allow Sturt's juniors to compete at the best FFSA junior level....(are the FFSA Seniors separate from the Juniors and the FFSA Seniors don't have their own ground ?)
Surely if their State League side was superflous, the Junior setup would be better off aligning themselves with what is essentially a good SAASL set up in Sturt Marion.
Call themselves Sturt Marion Lions !

Originally, the Hills Hawks juniors were looking for a senior club, and Sturt-Marion were looking for juniors. We never had any intention of moving to Fed or aligning with the FFSA Amateurs but the juniors wanted a pathway to fed (which is understandable) but they went the wrong way about it. What happened was a bit of an uneasy split. From what I understand, the new "Sturt" formed their own club using our colours and parts of our history. They wanted to move in on our ground and facilities, but we and the Marion Sports & Community Club didn't allow that to happen. Sturt-Marion was formed from the merging of Orange Sturt and Marion in 1986. We re-introduced the orange to our strip a few years ago to recognise this history and the new "Sturt Lions" are using this and the history of Blackwood as the basis for their club. It's not ideal to have two Sturt's with the same colours but we are totally separate clubs and as far as I know, we will not be uniting! Will make for an interesting game if they came into the league though...

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

DOC wrote:
Blueblood wrote:
DOC wrote: i think everyone should wait and see what comes out of all of this then judge, saasl will tweek this depending on response or may pull it if ffsa change plans
Well, everyone waiting and seeing is hardly giving them a response. Are you sure you are a doctor? :P
As I said both proposals will change, let's wait until they do
Well, you have my response until they do.
And it will affect my club, this will effect every Saturday amateur club.
If Vista played on Saturdays you might think a little harder about these ideas.

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

Blueblood wrote: Well, you have my response until they do.
from what i saw of jets this weekend gone it wont affect them much :lol:
ImageImage

sephiroth
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by sephiroth »

Carter extends the olive branch, SAASL plays along then slaps him in the face with it. shows how serious they are about affiliation.

egg and chips
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by egg and chips »

Why should Gawler get a free ride to the top division when they were playing in the lower reaches of the Sunday Leagues when they moved to the FFSA? Not sure about the previous SAASL status of the other clubs who have been mentioned in regards to a move back to the SAASL.

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

egg and chips wrote:Why should Gawler get a free ride to the top division when they were playing in the lower reaches of the Sunday Leagues when they moved to the FFSA? Not sure about the previous SAASL status of the other clubs who have been mentioned in regards to a move back to the SAASL.
nothing is decided yet, we dont even know if teams will cross over, best not worry about that yet, wait and see if any say yes first, if only 1 says yes then you expand div 1, simple

ffa and ffsa have to work out the apl and ffa cup yet, ffsa strategic plan and poaching of clubs could be canned
ImageImage

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

il principe wrote:Carter extends the olive branch, SAASL plays along then slaps him in the face with it. shows how serious they are about affiliation.
carter rang all saasl div 1 clubs at the start of the year when the expansions of the ffsa leagues was agreed upon, you were saying? :wink:
ImageImage

sephiroth
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by sephiroth »

and then he decided to stop all the 'us and them' crap and sat down twice with the SAASL to discuss and negotiate. SAASL played along but then shits all over that process.

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

il principe wrote:and then he decided to stop all the 'us and them' crap and sat down twice with the SAASL to discuss and negotiate. SAASL played along but then shits all over that process.
yeah when he realised he had no teams to expand the comp with apart from fulham :lol:
ImageImage

Ga Pala
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ga Pala »

Doc u know jack about Fulham United, so go back and watch Celtic re runs u imbecile
" I used to go Missing a lot- Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss Germany." George Best

bigpond
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by bigpond »

DOC wrote:
il principe wrote:and then he decided to stop all the 'us and them' crap and sat down twice with the SAASL to discuss and negotiate. SAASL played along but then shits all over that process.
yeah when he realised he had no teams to expand the comp with apart from fulham :lol:
Have to agree with Ga Pala - Fulham have never said they want to go into the FFSA - we have merely stated that we would like to know more information about the new set up and how it would work etc.

We would be doing a dis-service to our 300 registered juniors if we didn't at least do that.

It has never been once said however that Fulham would be "joining" the State League - just assumptions made from people on the outside.

Where other clubs have shut the door immediately Fulham just want to look at it a little further - nothing wrong with that.

2013 was never an option due to the information that needs to be gathered and put out to our members - once the due process is followed then we will see where it takes us.

Der kaiser
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Der kaiser »

The whole corporate governance of football in this state is a joke. The email from the saasl was an embarrassing example of a poor autocratic decision and further highlight s why the saasl needs a complete management overhau l. Unfortunately the ffsa have shown they aren't much better. Carter needs to go and a completely new team needs to come in and unite the saasl under the ffsa, sorting this mess out once and for all. It is what should have happened years ago if the current crop of management weren't so self interested an/or inept.

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

Ga Pala wrote:Doc u know jack about Fulham United, so go back and watch Celtic re runs u imbecile
maybe you should look at big ponds post and learn how to peply, fulham are the only ones announced looking at the jump, hardly a secret

also i dont need to work celtic re runs, we will be playing next year, unlike rangers :wink:
Last edited by DOC on Tue May 29, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

bigpond wrote:
DOC wrote:
Have to agree with Ga Pala - Fulham have never said they want to go into the FFSA - we have merely stated that we would like to know more information about the new set up and how it would work etc.

We would be doing a dis-service to our 300 registered juniors if we didn't at least do that.

It has never been once said however that Fulham would be "joining" the State League - just assumptions made from people on the outside.

Where other clubs have shut the door immediately Fulham just want to look at it a little further - nothing wrong with that.

2013 was never an option due to the information that needs to be gathered and put out to our members - once the due process is followed then we will see where it takes us.
i idin't say you were going mate, merely implied that you were open to the idea, which as mentioned is hardly a secret
ImageImage

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

DOC wrote:
Would that be when they beat the unbeaten side who were top of the league at the time!

You were there and you didn't come and say hello :shock:

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

DOC wrote:
Same joke as before when you had no decent argument.
So we have a bloke from a Sunday club telling people who will be affected to hold their piece and then is all over both threads with his own opinions.
Then when he has nowhere to go, he prefers to take a swipe at a neighbouring club, who have a far greater interest in these proposals than his own.
I am more than entitled to have an opinion on this and I stand by it.
Now, if you wish to convince me otherwise, you'll need to do better than trying to take the piss out of the club I play for.
Call that a bite if you will, but it had to be said.

Rob Lozza
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Rob Lozza »

otto62's suggestion is a good one, and it is proven. Similar approach was adopted in the mid-1980s (?) when the Metropolitan League ceased to exist. Clubs joined the SAASL Saturday competition were there were two divisions of equal status. Highest ranking teams in each formed a single division the following season.