England follows the FFA lead and adopts small sided games

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

justmyopinion
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

England follows the FFA lead and adopts small sided games

Post by justmyopinion »

A pretty big tick of approval for the FFA when a supposedly superior league follows our junior program.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: England follows the FFA lead and adopts small sided game

Post by God is an Englishman »

England's had small sided games as part of it's coaching for years now.

justmyopinion
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by justmyopinion »

you might want to check that "polly waffle" IAG :wink:

BTAC
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BTAC »

God is an Englishman wrote:England's had small sided games as part of it's coaching for years now.
Don't know about the first team, but the Under 21's have.
haywood djablowme wrote: I believe Arsenal have improved more than the Poo! (we are only 5 pts behind you)

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

God is an Englishman

regardless...if the governing body hasnt endorsed the philosophy nor implemented it, it reflects the archaic state of the game in england!!!
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

wiseoldman wrote:you might want to check that "polly waffle" IAG :wink:

polly waffle iag ??

no need to check, I know this from when I coached over there.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote:
God is an Englishman

regardless...if the governing body hasnt endorsed the philosophy nor implemented it, it reflects the archaic state of the game in england!!!
It was in my FA Approved Coaching Course over 10 years ago, so pretty sure it was endorsed and implemented.

justmyopinion
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by justmyopinion »

maybe "polly waffle" IAE may be getting confused with "small minded games", the one thing englishman are world champions at! :wink:

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Rule 1. Boot it and run
Rule 2. Refer to rule 1.

There's your English coaching certificate!

:wink:
Ignore this signature

BTAC
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BTAC »

:lol:
haywood djablowme wrote: I believe Arsenal have improved more than the Poo! (we are only 5 pts behind you)

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:Rule 1. Boot it and run
Rule 2. Refer to rule 1.

Rule 3: Go in hard
Rule 4: Never dive

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

God is an Englishman

It was in my FA Approved Coaching Course over 10 years ago, so pretty sure it was endorsed and implemented.

well...someone is telling fibs......

FA chiefs are jubilant after shareholders yesterday voted through new rules which will start from the 2014-15 season.

Kids will then have to play in small-sided games with goals and balls of an appropriate size — and WITHOUT the pressure of playing league matches with points at stake.

The FA believe making the changes compulsory — some county FAs already apply many of the rules — will develop happier, smarter and more skilful players. And that should ultimately mean a better England team.

Les Howie, the FA’s head of grassroots coaching, said: “Einstein said that there was no greater sign of insanity than doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome.

“I was one the last time England won something and I would like to think we will do so again in my lifetime.

“I sometimes wonder: where would the English Lionel Messi be if he was in a system built on results from the age of seven and played on pitches and with goals that were too big?

“Would they have taken a chance on a small kid?

“But this is not just about the England team of 20 years time, although it should have an impact on that.

“It’s about every child being introduced to football in the right way and developing a lifelong love of the game.”

Countries like Germany, Spain and Holland embraced mini-football and less emphasis on competition for young players years ago.

But some county FAs were reluctant to give up the traditional league formats.

Howie added: “I draw a comparison with learning to play a musical instrument.

“You want to learn how to read music and how the different notes work together. But if you are going to be tested every week, you tend to learn to play one tune very well.

“The same thing tends to happen if you insist on youngsters playing for three points week in, week out. And it becomes like PlayStation for parents, with dads telling their kids what to do in every single situation.

“This way, players will have the chance to develop their skills without the constant pressure of results and they and their coaches will be more likely to try out different positions and to take risks.”

Manchester United star Rio Ferdinand has backed the coaching shake-up.

Some 87 per cent of the 778 votes cast were in favour and Ferdinand tweeted: “One thing our kids coaches don’t do that foreign coaches do is teach them to pass the ball to a player under pressure... then coach one-two.

“How to protect the ball under pressure... foreign players do that much better than us. One reason why they keep possession better.

“FA coaching courses need a right old shake up in my humble opinion if we are to move forward..”

Trevor Brooking, the FA’s director of football development, said: “The vote was as important as anything that will happen this summer. The Euros are about the here and now — this vote is about the future.”
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote:
God is an Englishman

well...someone is telling fibs......

FA chiefs are jubilant after shareholders yesterday voted through new rules which will start from the 2014-15 season.

Kids will then have to play in small-sided games with goals and balls of an appropriate size — and WITHOUT the pressure of playing league matches with points at stake.

The FA believe making the changes compulsorysome county FAs already apply many of the rules — will develop happier, smarter and more skilful players. And that should ultimately mean a better England team.

Les Howie, the FA’s head of grassroots coaching, said: “Einstein said that there was no greater sign of insanity than doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome.

“I was one the last time England won something and I would like to think we will do so again in my lifetime.

“I sometimes wonder: where would the English Lionel Messi be if he was in a system built on results from the age of seven and played on pitches and with goals that were too big?

“Would they have taken a chance on a small kid?

“But this is not just about the England team of 20 years time, although it should have an impact on that.

“It’s about every child being introduced to football in the right way and developing a lifelong love of the game.”

Countries like Germany, Spain and Holland embraced mini-football and less emphasis on competition for young players years ago.

But some county FAs were reluctant to give up the traditional league formats.

Howie added: “I draw a comparison with learning to play a musical instrument.

“You want to learn how to read music and how the different notes work together. But if you are going to be tested every week, you tend to learn to play one tune very well.

“The same thing tends to happen if you insist on youngsters playing for three points week in, week out. And it becomes like PlayStation for parents, with dads telling their kids what to do in every single situation.

“This way, players will have the chance to develop their skills without the constant pressure of results and they and their coaches will be more likely to try out different positions and to take risks.”

Manchester United star Rio Ferdinand has backed the coaching shake-up.

Some 87 per cent of the 778 votes cast were in favour and Ferdinand tweeted: “One thing our kids coaches don’t do that foreign coaches do is teach them to pass the ball to a player under pressure... then coach one-two.

“How to protect the ball under pressure... foreign players do that much better than us. One reason why they keep possession better.

“FA coaching courses need a right old shake up in my humble opinion if we are to move forward..”

Trevor Brooking, the FA’s director of football development, said: “The vote was as important as anything that will happen this summer. The Euros are about the here and now — this vote is about the future.”

From reading that, it's already been in the coaching manuals but this is about making it compulsory for games.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

thus my point that the FA has only just endorsed the philosophy by making it compulsory!!!!!

geeeeez GIAE...thats 2 apologies in the 1 night....

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote:thus my point that the FA has only just endorsed the philosophy by making it compulsory!!!!!
and my point was that the FA has endorsed it, hence it was already being coached that way.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

not by all counties.......

does that mean the FA 'endorsed it' but the counties chose to go against the FA???

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote:not by all counties.......

does that mean the FA 'endorsed it' but the counties chose to go against the FA???

it was in the "coaching" of all counties but not in the rules of league structures. Now it's in the rules!

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Bomber wrote:Rule 1. Boot it and run
Rule 2. Refer to rule 1.

Don't forget:

Crunching tackles.

Scoring from set pieces.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

The greatest problem in English football is the fact that the FA, the body that controls the game, is full of people who know very little about the game. A large percentage of them are local members of the aristocracy who control large areas of each counties' land.

Most of these people attended 'Public Schools' where rugby (union of course) is the game and football is considered to be a game for the louts.

Like most institutions in the UK it is this rich and powerful landed gentry who decide what will be implemented.
That is why the coaching set-up in England has always been amateurish and why basic skills are neglected.
The rugby minded FA committees want a 'rough' game that will sort out the working class louts.

My late Father was a top amateur player and coach and won many league and county titles over the years, producing a number of professional and even England players along the way, but was never offered the position of county coach despite being honoured regularly as 'coach of the year' by his peers and players.

That was probably because he put skills and tactics first in his teams and believed in 'Total football' long before even the Dutch thought of it.
He also used small-sided games as a regular part of his training sessions. 8)
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:The greatest problem in English football is the fact that the FA, the body that controls the game, is full of people who know very little about the game.
100% correct!

A bloke I went to school with now works for the FA as a lawyer. The bloke is scottish and played rugby, not football.

Chaos
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Chaos »

I think, hang on, know that the FFA paid for John mundy to oversee how this was used in sth America. The FFA have in no way created this structure nor were we as a country the first to use this resource outside of sth America.
COLOSSUS wrote:Let me guess, ive got no balls

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Old Master wrote:The greatest problem in English football is the fact that the FA, the body that controls the game, is full of people who know very little about the game.
100% correct!

A bloke I went to school with now works for the FA as a lawyer. The bloke is scottish and played rugby, not football.

A mate of mine is, who also played rugby at Grammar school, is on the FA committee in Durham - as a coaching coordinator.
He's never actually done a course himself! :roll:

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Actually, small-sided games for Juniors and as part of senior training sessions, were introduced officially in SA in 1977-78 by the newly formed SA Soccer Coaches Association.

I was a member of the sub-committee that drew up the format.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

My son is in his 3rd year of SSG and so far I have seen very little change (in terms of benefits...more touches etc.) from the bigger games.....probably because it is not policed well.
Not impreesed so far.
Southern Knights SC - 2024 - Celebrating 30 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook