Women's Collegiate League - fail or fun?

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

Clever Trevor
Apprentice
Apprentice

Women's Collegiate League - fail or fun?

Post by Clever Trevor »

Interesting to see the results of this league (CWL) already after a handful of rounds. You have a couple of teams that are beating everyone by 10 goals or more; a handful of OK teams in the middle; then very average teams at the bottom; some with -30 goal differences after three games.

I heard on the grapevine that Adelaide Uni were told by the FFSA that they had to put teams in this competition. Does anyone know about this?

So in the CWL you've got the two lowest standard Adelaide Uni teams in a competition with the first teams of some clubs that could compete in at least Div 2 level (ie MOSA and Seymour).

Based on the cup results from round one, there are clearly some div 3 and 4 teams that are worse than the CWL teams also.

Surely the survival of women's football will be hard if you have teams not playing at the correct level? (I cant see there being a promotion/relegation in and out of the Women's Collegiate League)

Thoughts?

all rounder
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Re: Women's Collegiate League - fail or fun?

Post by all rounder »

Clever Trevor wrote:Interesting to see the results of this league (CWL) already after a handful of rounds. You have a couple of teams that are beating everyone by 10 goals or more; a handful of OK teams in the middle; then very average teams at the bottom; some with -30 goal differences after three games.

I heard on the grapevine that Adelaide Uni were told by the FFSA that they had to put teams in this competition. Does anyone know about this?

So in the CWL you've got the two lowest standard Adelaide Uni teams in a competition with the first teams of some clubs that could compete in at least Div 2 level (ie MOSA and Seymour).

Based on the cup results from round one, there are clearly some div 3 and 4 teams that are worse than the CWL teams also.

Surely the survival of women's football will be hard if you have teams not playing at the correct level? (I cant see there being a promotion/relegation in and out of the Women's Collegiate League)

Thoughts?

I don't think womens soccer in SA has enough participants to warrant a Collegiate League. The Men's CL has many divisions, and teams can be promoted/demoted as needed. Having a CL in the womens division I think is pointless. The teams should just enter in the regular womens league and can promote/demote within the current divisions.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

I think the original intention of the WCL was that collegiate teams would all be able to compete on a similar level-thereby making it more enjoyable for the players. it was based on the assumption that the players would all be around the same calibre with the same reasons for playing, so the competition would be even. That seems to not be the case- maybe adjustments will be made in the competition next season to reflect that. It's hard to know exactly what a new competition is going to look like until the season gets underway.

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

FFSA would have known that there was going to be a fairly big difference in ability between the top couple of teams and the rest by simply looking at last season results from teams now being moved into this league ie. Seymour doing quite well in Div 3, MOSA 2nd in Div 5 and Pultney finnishing mid to low table in Div 5.
all rounder wrote: I don't think womens soccer in SA has enough participants to warrant a Collegiate League. The Men's CL has many divisions, and teams can be promoted/demoted as needed. Having a CL in the womens division I think is pointless. The teams should just enter in the regular womens league and can promote/demote within the current divisions.
agreed, surely there's no real need for it
I'd like to know what was the driving force behind starting the CWL, did it come from interest from teams already in the league, do the teams have links to the mens CL teams from the same schools, or was it from the new teams that came in this season?

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Tinkering with the Titanic

JolyV
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by JolyV »

SAD GAL wrote:Tinkering with the Titanic
:lol: Im agree with you

Geo
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Geo »

I dont think the WCL is pointless..

I recently joined this division after playing many years in the higher divisions for some top clubs.

I dont think i have ever felt more welcome to a team and i don't think i have ever had this much fun playing soccer in the 10+ years I've been been playing!

Clever Trevor
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Clever Trevor »

Geo wrote:I dont think the WCL is pointless..

I recently joined this division after playing many years in the higher divisions for some top clubs.

I dont think i have ever felt more welcome to a team and i don't think i have ever had this much fun playing soccer in the 10+ years I've been been playing!
You must be from a club with a +60 goal difference after 8 games. I can see how that is fun.

Geo
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Geo »

:) ha ha

Na but look its been a good break from club politics/ competitiveness.

But yes, i think some of the teams could be playing in the higher divisions.. there is actually alot of talent in the league...

Clever Trevor
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Clever Trevor »

Last edited by Clever Trevor on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Granny
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Granny »

Clever Trevor wrote:If you mean that the comp is minus the 'feralness' of some of our northern suburb friends, then you're spot on :D

You know what, with the issues we already have in this comp, we are trying realy hard to keep players, not only at our clubs but keep them in the game..........and you come up with a comment like that.............and you even put a smiley at the end, does that mean you're joking or what.

C T - You are an ignorant f--kin idiot :D ............. but that's ok because the smiley takes the sting out of the insult..........or does it.

I may not agree with all the comments posted but I read them and you get an understanding of what everyone is thinking. Whether they are the right answers or not, we all want this comp to succeed, and the last thing we need is that kind of comment.

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

Geo wrote:I dont think the WCL is pointless..

You could've joined any number of clubs in the lower divisions and found the same welcoming atmosphere.
Not knocking your decision, or choice of club, it's great to see someone with playing experience willing to stay in the game at a lower level. I just don't see why these teams couldn't have been integrated into the existing divisions, they really don't need a league of their own.

Clever Trevor
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Clever Trevor »

Granny wrote:
Clever Trevor wrote:If you mean that the comp is minus the 'feralness' of some of our northern suburb friends, then you're spot on :D

You know what, with the issues we already have in this comp, we are trying realy hard to keep players, not only at our clubs but keep them in the game..........and you come up with a comment like that.............and you even put a smiley at the end, does that mean you're joking or what.

C T - You are an ignorant f--kin idiot :D ............. but that's ok because the smiley takes the sting out of the insult..........or does it.

I may not agree with all the comments posted but I read them and you get an understanding of what everyone is thinking. Whether they are the right answers or not, we all want this comp to succeed, and the last thing we need is that kind of comment.
You know what, it is probably an unfair generalization. There are always a number of players or clubs out there that cause problems on the field and from several different people within the women's game, the comments always point to teams based in the northern suburbs. Yes, it was a bit of tongue n cheek and overall, we all want women's football in this state to succeed. I'm not convinced, yet, that the WCL will last or be the way of the future.

Geo
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Geo »

Yes i could have moved to a lower division within my old club and i'm sure i would have been warmly welcomed! But after being what ive been through with the clubs ive been at, i wasnt sure whether i would expect the same from the lower divisions of my former club. But in my team alone there are atleast 4 players i played with/against and who were in the same situation as me (who were essentially fed up). They more or less guaranteed me that i would have no problems in this league and i havent looked back.

Its all a bit of fun, bit more social and a bit more relaxed... But yes im not sure if its necessary to have a league of their own. In fact i think most teams will benefit more if they played in a higher division. But its good to see that these players and even school soccer team mates havent given up and are just enjoying the game.

cg1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by cg1 »

The Collegiate League appears to me to be real success!
At a time when players and teams seem to be leaving the sport the Collegiate League has 3 new first season teams (Ignations, Westminster & Saints I believe)
If anything this League should be encouraged. I know at least 2 teams are in preparation to try and enter the Collegiate League next year.
I’m sure there are numerous reasons why the League was formed, I suspect we (Saints) like a few sides aren’t interested in promotion/relegation & higher grades but are building on the competitive edge that exists between colleges & schools and friendships during the years the girls are at school and playing inter-college football. For us the very fact this league is outside of the normal club environment has meant we have attracted players who had quit the sport. While half our team have never played club football and wouldn’t have had it not been for the formation of the team in the Collegiate league. There have been a few unfortunate score lines and considering each team plays each other 3 times the best team should win on points not on goal difference, so there seems no need to have double digit scores. Equally as there are first time teams in the competition some lopsided scores are to be expected.
Ideally the League could grow to be a higher and lower division of say 6 or 7 or 8 teams each and staying separate from the normal club divisions.
Only criticism, just my opinion, is the number of games is too many for a social league 21 plus Cup rounds that’s 3 more league games than Prem/Res league.
If anything, again my view, shorten the season in this league to make a point of difference to encourage players to stay playing with shorter seasons & less commitment.
If a player wants more - higher level, more training - then normal Club football is an option.

echo201
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by echo201 »

JolyV wrote:
SAD GAL wrote:Tinkering with the Titanic
:lol: Im agree with you
LoL..yeah ,,i think so