Rain Affected Pitches

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: Rain Affected Pitches

Post by Jay Walking »

KING NUGGETT wrote:I saw a SAAFL Div 2 Grand Final played at that Uni Ground it had more water on it that those pictures on the opposite side of the ground to the grandstand it was absolutley insane just saw water splashing everwhere could pick the ball of players for water....

You Too your Absolutley correct Bradman Rd use to handle the rain it use to drain perfectly, but ever since the world first wetland program & pumping that wetland water back in the aquifer the ground holds water & doesn't drain.
If it doesn't let up soon I'm thinking it going to be touch & go Sunday...
Tough match to reschedule also as both clubs should in theory go deep into the cup.

Rexie
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Rexie »

Jay Walking wrote:
KING NUGGETT wrote:I saw a SAAFL Div 2 Grand Final played at that Uni Ground it had more water on it that those pictures on the opposite side of the ground to the grandstand it was absolutley insane just saw water splashing everwhere could pick the ball of players for water....

You Too your Absolutley correct Bradman Rd use to handle the rain it use to drain perfectly, but ever since the world first wetland program & pumping that wetland water back in the aquifer the ground holds water & doesn't drain.
Tough match to reschedule also as both clubs should in theory go deep into the cup.

Maybe a friday nigth job at Burton or somewhere like that ( I know FFSA wouldt allow but would be good)
We will have light up in about 4 weeks for night fixtures- but Id assume gardens would want to play at Argana twice (and so they shouldnt have to)

Come on Rain gods- piss off and have a beer so we can all have a kick this weekend.
I think my drinking club has a soccer problem.....

http://www.edsc.com.au

BANYA
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BANYA »

Could play the inaugural 'SPLASHDOWNS GARDEN CUP'
WHY DO THEY CALL IT OVALTINE? I MEAN ITS ROUND, WHY DONT THEY CALL IT ROUNDTINE.

Azzurri80
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Azzurri80 »

Sturt vs S.Villa A's, B's and C's cancelled due to pitch conditions apparently. Rumor has it there's a few injuries down at Marion so could be a convenient coincidence. Any Sturt lads care to comment? I know our boys are disappointed not to have a run, and don't mind a little water and mud. :)

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

Azzurri80 wrote:Sturt vs S.Villa A's, B's and C's cancelled due to pitch conditions apparently. Rumor has it there's a few injuries down at Marion so could be a convenient coincidence. Any Sturt lads care to comment? I know our boys are disappointed not to have a run, and don't mind a little water and mud. :)
In fairness to Marion, when it rains, that pitch holds the water on the surface.

Los Del Eague
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Los Del Eague »

Left Right Out wrote:FFSA have cancelled all U19's and 23's games this weekend.
U23's dont exist in the ffsa anymore
its reserves, just pointing that out :wink:
The young boys said unto him....."go up baldhead, go up"......so he did, rose like a salmon and nodded the ball into the net......1 nil! :-)

Jack Mehorf
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Jack Mehorf »

Keep us posted....especially the neutrals who won't find out till they rock up on Sunday......should be a cracking game to watch if it goes ahead......good luck to both teams but hope Gardens might peg them back a bit just to keep the rest of the season interesting. :wink:

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

swannsong wrote:Wouldn't all the water at Ingle Farm ground drain off in the South-Western corner ?
South West and West. It slopes in two directions plus gets the run off from the hills. It drains well but once the ground is full of water, it pools really quickly and badly.

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

Modbury Jets are calling their games off tomorrow

Rodent
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Rodent »

You Too wrote:Gardens could be a bit of a worry, especially if we get much more rain. The last time we had a few days of constant rain there was an inch or two of water actually sitting over the ground, someting that many of us had never seen.

At the time I asked whether the water table levels below the ground may have been artifically raised (by the newly installed rain water recyling system installed next to the oval which pumps water back into the aquifer) to a point that mean't the rain actually falling on the oval had no where to drain.

Lets hope there is no issue. After the huge effort Lefty and the rest of the committee have put into making the day a big occassion it would be a shame for it to be ruined.

Come on you Gardens.
Now you have had a look I'm sure you will be happy with the condition of the pitch !!
Every Rat has his day !!

sirstevieg
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sirstevieg »

With the rain we have had the last 2 days i can see quite a few games cancelled over the wkend.

Apparently most rain we have had in June for 6 years!
We are Liverpool Football Club and the expectations are so high.
Steven Gerrard

sephiroth
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by sephiroth »

interesting that at The Parks, the upgrade is getting one artificial pitch. should we see more of these across Adelaide?

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

gareth_bale wrote:How is BOSA's pitch looking?
Not flash apparently.

Stitch Jnr says As, Bs and Cs cancelled.
Time for some righteous indignation

clemence
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by clemence »

Azzurri80 wrote:Sturt vs S.Villa A's, B's and C's cancelled due to pitch conditions apparently. Rumor has it there's a few injuries down at Marion so could be a convenient coincidence. Any Sturt lads care to comment? I know our boys are disappointed not to have a run, and don't mind a little water and mud. :)

sturt pitches have more water than the marion swim centre, just trying to do the right thing and give plenty of notice, but if you want to drive from salisbury to marion on a wet rainy day and when you get there hear sorry its called of :x :x :x and then drive back feel free.
I know i would rather not have to make the drive for nothing and stay at home in the warmth :D :D

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

I didn't think clubs could cancel A team games, only the referee can?

You Too
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by You Too »

Good news - I just returned from a trip down to check the conditions at Bradman Road and it is perfect. Had a good walk all over and there weren't even any soggy patches and definately no water laying above the ground. The top dressing and levelling done by the council over the summer seems to have done the trick. Unless God has been on Noah's back about rebuilding the boat again can't see there being any problems on Sunday at all.

Bring it on.

colon clenser
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by colon clenser »

we will wait for pirie to drive down,,,,,,then we will cancel :lol:

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

il principe wrote:interesting that at The Parks, the upgrade is getting one artificial pitch. should we see more of these across Adelaide?
Yes, if you have a spare $200k to spend for one ...
Spot Željko Jurin Jnr ......

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

Jack Mehorf wrote:

Keep us posted....especially the neutrals who won't find out till they rock up on Sunday......should be a cracking game to watch if it goes ahead......good luck to both teams but hope Gardens might peg them back a bit just to keep the rest of the season interesting. :wink:
The conditions will make sure it isn't a cracking gfame....same as last year when the hevens opened up and made it a very scrappy affair. Better to postpone and give the game a chance to be decent.

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

Meh
Last edited by Steve#4 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clever Trevor
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Clever Trevor »

Should there be a bylaw that if a pitch is unplayable in the first half of the season, the reverse fixture is played? (Ie. Uni v Flinders, played at Flinders unless their pitch is also unplayable and play the return fixture at Uni)

This would stop congestion at the end of the season with catch up games, especially for teams in the latter cup rounds and teams in divs that play thru to the end of sept.

The Northern Lights
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by The Northern Lights »

Clever Trevor wrote:Should there be a bylaw that if a pitch is unplayable in the first half of the season, the reverse fixture is played? (Ie. Uni v Flinders, played at Flinders unless their pitch is also unplayable and play the return fixture at Uni)

This would stop congestion at the end of the season with catch up games, especially for teams in the latter cup rounds and teams in divs that play thru to the end of sept.
yes. i think this is a sensible idea!
ImageImage

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

Željko Jurin wrote:
il principe wrote:interesting that at The Parks, the upgrade is getting one artificial pitch. should we see more of these across Adelaide?
Yes, if you have a spare $200k to spend for one ...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll write a cheque. Just don't cash it until 2055

downslowman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by downslowman »

If it doesn't let up soon I'm thinking it going to be touch & go Sunday... [/b][/quote]

Here's an idea,for the next day or so stop licking windows and start lapping up some
water! :idea:
Good luck getting everything ready; see ya sunday.

Jd_
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Jd_ »

I'd love to comment! You're more than welcome to drive down and inspect the grounds for yourself.

I'm saddened by the thought of not playing tomorrow and that we will be missing out on our 3 points.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Jay Walking wrote:Modbury Jets are calling their games off tomorrow

To be correct, comets called them off.

Swannsong's Rejects
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Swannsong's Rejects »

I thought about going too.
Twenty years from now out cold on salty canvas

laney
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by laney »

Jay Walking wrote:Modbury Jets are calling their games off tomorrow
The jets didnt call it off.Not our home game

Redders
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Redders »

How's the S.Villa pitch looking? There is water upto our ankles in some parts, you simply cant play football on ours.

Personally, I would of tried to reverse the fixture (played at yours this weekend) on Thursday night when we knew our pitches weren't going to be playable. Not sure if the league allows this or not?

Hawkesy's Solicitor
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Hawkesy's Solicitor »

redders wrote:Not sure if the league allows this or not?
I don't see why not, just so long as you give them enough time to advise the referee.
When I have people around for dinner I make sure I set aside a couple of options for vegetarians.
They can make do or they can shiraz off !!