Question for refs

This forum is for the discussion of other football topics including Futsal, Indoor Soccer, 7-a-side, Referees and Rules of the Game

Moderator: Forum Admins

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Question for refs

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Out of interest, when you go on your training courses, what are you taught about defenders challenging for balls in the air?

I only ask because I'm heartily sick of seeing free kicks given against defenders who are actually trying to win the ball by jumping, while the forward is simply backing in and making no attempt at the ball. If anything, it should be the defender who gets the free but, because they invariably make contact with the forward, the free kick nearly always goes the other way.

It's almost like the refs are being told to take as much physical contact out as possible.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Re: Question for refs

Post by Bomber »

Nice One Cyril wrote:Out of interest, when you go on your training courses, what are you taught about defenders challenging for balls in the air?

I only ask because I'm heartily sick of seeing free kicks given against defenders who are actually trying to win the ball by jumping, while the forward is simply backing in and making no attempt at the ball. If anything, it should be the defender who gets the free but, because they invariably make contact with the forward, the free kick nearly always goes the other way.

It's almost like the refs are being told to take as much physical contact out as possible.
Imagine a team where no players had arms (to "push" or handball). I'd pity the keeper though, plus every time there was a throw in. I'd also enjoy the pre-match handshake. Would they just nod?

Ok, its a silly post but I am pumped full of drugs trying to rid this fucken sickness atm.
Ignore this signature

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

Bomber wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:Out of interest, when you go on your training courses, what are you taught about defenders challenging for balls in the air?

Imagine a team where no players had arms (to "push" or handball). I'd pity the keeper though, plus every time there was a throw in. I'd also enjoy the pre-match handshake. Would they just nod?

Ok, its a silly post but I am pumped full of drugs trying to rid this fucken sickness atm.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

I'm heartily sick of defenders jumping with their arms in attackers backs, then claiming they won the ball when they give a way free kicks.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

God is an Englishman wrote:

I'm heartily sick of defenders jumping with their arms in attackers backs, then claiming they won the ball when they give a way free kicks.
That's cos you're too fat to jump :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nice One Cyril wrote:

Harsh but fair!

always offside
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by always offside »

what happens in junior leagues when the away teams wears the same colours as the home team.
The away team had no bibs and the home side didn't (or maybe wouldn't ) have bibs either.
What would be the ruling on this?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

always offside wrote:what happens in junior leagues when the away teams wears the same colours as the home team.
The away team had no bibs and the home side didn't (or maybe wouldn't ) have bibs either.
What would be the ruling on this?
Since it's juniors and the result is not that important, you would hope that common sense would prevail and the away team would wear their shirts inside out or something. I know it doesn't strictly adhere to the rules, but kids just want to play.
Danny Blanchflower

Stupid Mole
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Stupid Mole »

Bollocks. Kids should be taught discipline from day one.
松平美加 wrote:スーツを着ないとフランス料理は食べられないよ

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Stupid Mole wrote:Bollocks. Kids should be taught discipline from day one.
Thank you for you considered argument. Apparently the first part of your nick is very apt. :wink:

As it happens I agree about discipline, but they don't decide on the kit to bring, it would be the team manager's/coach's fault. In the instance we're talking about, common sense should prevail IMO and I'd rather 20 something kids got their game than not.
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

I referreed a game last year at Under 8's, both teams in red. No bibs were available.

In that instance we played them game, it was a nightmare to ref and watch but the kids just got on with it. We have since always brought our bibs along just in case.

Technically, the game should not have gone ahead but we did and at that level the coaches would have just reff'd the game themselves had I refused. I made the decision that it was better that the kids got a game and I knew that the ref in charge knew what he was doing than calling the game off.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

God is an Englishman wrote:I referreed a game last year at Under 8's, both teams in red. No bibs were available.

In that instance we played them game, it was a nightmare to ref and watch but the kids just got on with it. We have since always brought our bibs along just in case.

Technically, the game should not have gone ahead but we did and at that level the coaches would have just reff'd the game themselves had I refused. I made the decision that it was better that the kids got a game and I knew that the ref in charge knew what he was doing than calling the game off.
Hawkesy and common sense are not normally used in the same sentence........ :lol:
Danny Blanchflower

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Harsh but fair!
LOL twice :lol: