http://chriskelly.smugmug.com/Sports/FF ... &k=PKwm7mz

Cheers

adam
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Finals Photos

Post by adam »

awesome photos Chris.

especially considering the very harsh light!!!

out of interest, if any, what day did you think you shot better?

spurs73spurs
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by spurs73spurs »

Thanks Adam.
I am not sure which day I would say I shot better. I seemed to handle the light better at Oakden, However, I think there are more action shots from Marden. I did try to adjust settings on my camera a fair bit at Oakden on Saturday where as I just went with what I knew on Sunday at Marden. Both games were great games as well. Which would you say was my better day?

adam
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by adam »

I thought the Marden album was noticeably better. Nice crisp action, and really well balanced images. They just seemed "cleaner" overall. Not that the Oakden album was bad, just I was really impressed with a lot of the Marden shots.

adam
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by adam »

had another look and great photos in both albums... maybe the Marden album stood out to me because I shot the same game and know how hard it was shooting with such a bright background.

anyway... keep up the good work!

spurs73spurs
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by spurs73spurs »

Thanks for the feedback mate, you know I really appreciate it. I did mess with quite a few settings at the Oakden game as I said. I had to desaturate the colour in quite a few of the Oakden game and even had to delete some photos which was disappointing. Also I found the while the Oakden game was just as intense the action was not the same. I guess being an elimination final made both sides a bit cautious. I think shooting at Marden always looks a bit cleaner because you have the concrete terrace all around so the players tend to pop off the page a bit more, the backgrounds are not as busy either. I could be wrong lol, just a theory. Your photos were brilliant as always to by the way.

adam
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by adam »

yeah... some good points. just on a very bright day at Marden you get so much reflection and light from the background you get exposure issues on the players... but that is also the beauty of digital, you can largely fix in post.

i found that a lot of my images have been a bit soft and have needed a fair bit of work in post to sharpen them up... but that is a bit of an issue with using the 300 with 1.4 extender and also shooting at f4. Where as with the 100-400 you do have a bit more range at f5.6. The shots of the first Metro goal that you took clearly display that... well focused and very sharp.

when i nail a shot at f4 it can look really nice... but you don't have a great margin for error.

sometimes i wonder what way is better for football... these days i love the shallower DoF but i used to prefer to shot at f7.1 and get more in focus...

example - if i had shot this at f7.1 would it have been a better photo?

spurs73spurs
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by spurs73spurs »

For what its worth, I love your shots with a really shallow DoF. I personally love images with shallow DoF, especially sports images. As for the image posted here, I think it is just right as it is. It highlights the attacking player clearly and it shows you where the ball is going. To me it is an image that shows the strikers shot rather than the keepers attempt at saving it.

spurs73spurs
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by spurs73spurs »

I snuck in a couple of shots of you at Hindmarsh if you are interested in them. I shot everything that day lol.

adam
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by adam »

spurs73spurs wrote:I snuck in a couple of shots of you at Hindmarsh if you are interested in them. I shot everything that day lol.
no thanks... last thing i ever want to see in a photo is myself!!! :P

adam
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by adam »

spurs73spurs wrote:For what its worth, I love your shots with a really shallow DoF. I personally love images with shallow DoF, especially sports images. As for the image posted here, I think it is just right as it is. It highlights the attacking player clearly and it shows you where the ball is going. To me it is an image that shows the strikers shot rather than the keepers attempt at saving it.
cheers Chris.

but some photos need a wider DoF... but usually you don't have time to switch up... when a player takes a free kick and i have a good angle on it, i will up the DoF, but that is really about the only time you get a chance to adjust on the fly.

spurs73spurs
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by spurs73spurs »

adam wrote:
spurs73spurs wrote:I snuck in a couple of shots of you at Hindmarsh if you are interested in them. I shot everything that day lol.
no thanks... last thing i ever want to see in a photo is myself!!! :P
LOL ok, just thought I would ask. I nearly put one up in my smugmug gallery but decided not to hahaha