Cup Semi's & Cup Final

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: Cup Semi's & Cup Final

Post by Jay Walking »

I'm not up to writing a report at the moment. Well done to Downs on the game, tough way to lose but there has to be a winner and overall, they have been the best team all year.

Great work by our ressies getting through to another cup final. It was a bit of a reverse result from the A's where Gardens probably deserved the win in the end but we managed to get through. A credit to our ressies through for battling hard.

Too depressed to write anything else this morning. Will put something up later this afternoon

:cry:

Big G
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Big G »

That's football, congrats to the downs, while we feel we deserved the win, they still didn't allow us to score and were clinical with the shootout. Really proud of the boys, we played some of the best football we've played this year, but wasn't meant to be. Best of luck to BOSA and Downs next week.

legga
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by legga »

Well done to the lads yesterday, got out of jail with the result going our way in the end. The Farm gave as good as they got and had us under the pump for a lot of the game. Thank f**k we had benny in goals who had a blinder saving our bacon on numerous occasions, shaun brennan also had a blinder hard to spilt these two for best on ground for the downs. Gotta love nathans penalty as well... Good to see the farm crowd in good form singing thier hearts out all day and being gracious in defeat. Good luck to your ressies next week and see ya next week we are coming to clinch a league and cup double which from our clubs perspective will cap off a year of hard graft and recovery of all we lost to a dirty dog.....Good to see all the passion on display yesterday with us not even playing the window lickers but still having a bit of argy bargy on the terraces, gotta love cup time at hindmarsh but what the f**k the powers that be shut the bar and the canteen with about 20 to play in the normal time with extra time and penalties to be played out, reckon they done themselves out of at least another 2k.... Might just have to have an esky on standby in the car in case it happens again..... :shock: :shock:
Bring on Bosa who put Parafield to the sword after they went down to ten men.

ELIZABETH DOWNS DIVISION 1 CHAMPIONS 2012
There is no I in team, but there is a u in suck...

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Big G wrote:That's football, congrats to the downs, while we feel we deserved the win, they still didn't allow us to score and were clinical with the shootout. Really proud of the boys, we played some of the best football we've played this year, but wasn't meant to be. Best of luck to BOSA and Downs next week.
Well in Big G....you had a good game also and gracious in defeat.
As a keeper/former keeper myself, Nathan Day's penalty must have pissed you off though ?
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Big G
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Big G »

swannsong wrote:
Big G wrote:That's football, congrats to the downs, while we feel we deserved the win, they still didn't allow us to score and were clinical with the shootout. Really proud of the boys, we played some of the best football we've played this year, but wasn't meant to be. Best of luck to BOSA and Downs next week.
Well in Big G....you had a good game also and gracious in defeat.
As a keeper/former keeper myself, Nathan Day's penalty must have pissed you off though ?
Thanks mate.
Not really, if he felt that was the way to score, then so be it. What he did, is a lot harder in my opinion than going wide? He executed it well unfortunately. :(

andyb
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by andyb »

Jogger looking at a tough week of recovery to be fit for the final.....

Big G
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Big G »

andyb wrote:Jogger looking at a tough week of recovery to be fit for the final.....
He's always struggling :wink:

andyb
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by andyb »

Big G wrote:
andyb wrote:Jogger looking at a tough week of recovery to be fit for the final.....
Hes always been a little delicate :wink:

Big G
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Big G »

andyb wrote:
Big G wrote:
Hes always been a little delicate :wink:
:lol:

Fact Hunt
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Fact Hunt »

heard some whispers that after his performance yesterday Benny is now considered to be on a par with the best keeper at the Downs - lofty praise indeed!

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

A's Farm V Downs

A good game overall. The Downs team on paper is good, bloody good. The first 10-15 minutes they had us a little unsettled and scored with some neat passing through the middle. Well taken by Lindsay. Was a hint of offside but too close to say without the video replay :lol: After the goal we settled into the game much better and started to create some chances. Our run was fantastic, our ball movement very good. We just couldn't get the final ball or the final strike right. Downs had some chances to and it was fairly even to half time.

Second half I thought we really dominated. The big pitched suited us and some great build ups of play created plenty of chances. We hit the cross bar, had 2-3 excellent shots saved by Aldridge. We continued to pepper the goal with shots and build ups but couldn't break through. A penalty for which I didn't see (looked away at the wrong second) was converted by Chris Ennis to set up a tense 30 mins. Both teams had chances to win it but neither team converted. Whilst Downs weren't really in the second half, with their class, you felt that they could easily slip a goal in against the run of play.

Extra time we continued to have the better possesion and opportunities although not as much as the second half. Tired legs from both teams saw the ball go long a bit too often but everyone looked stuffed. I thought Toby Dodds quick free kick, placed perfectly in the top corner would win it but Benny A managed to leap further and higher than he may of ever to keep it out and send the game into penalties.

In the shoot out, Downs coverted all of theirs whilst we missed 2. Heart breaking way to lose but you need to convert your chances and we didn't. I thought the normal time of the game was of a really good standard and both teams should be please with their efforts. Best players for both teams would have been
Farm: Evan Emmanuel who controlled the middle of the park and Nathan Day really well, Michael Clark for completely blanketing Trimmers, Paul Jones and Matthew Cox for creating so many chances and leaving poor Marwae completely shagged by the end.
Downs: Aldridge, proved beyond a doubt that he is the best keeper in the league currently. Hats off to him. Sean Brennan - ran solidly all day, created a lot down his side and if he had crossed a few more times than take shots, Downs might have got another one. Bredan Agars, not use to seeing him play in a more defensive midfield role but battled and ran hard to help cover the defence.

The Farmy Army was in full voice. Created a great atmosphere, sung loud and proud and really spurred the boys on. Good bits of banter with the Downs boys taken in the right manner which made for an enjoyable, but could have been better day. Seeing the numbers we had out to support us was a very satisfying sight.

All the best to the Downs next week against BOSA. Winners are Grinners :(

PS Forgot to add two things

1 - Downs were excellent in the way they handled themselves after the game yesterday. Trimmers, Day, Hughes, Benny, Motts and Andy were very respectful and it is appreciated. Nothing should be taken away from the Downs winning and they celebrated in the right manner so thank you to those guys in what was a disappointing end for us.

2 - Its not really a secret but that was Paul Jones' last game of football. He is hanging up the boots to spend more time with his wife, baby boy and another one on the way. Jonesy has spent 6 years with us and has been fantastic both on and off the park. Very professional in the way he goes about it, very talented but never just left it to his abilities, he worked so hard on game day and at training. A huge loss for us and will be missed on and off the park. It was a tough last speech he gave to all the boys at the end of the game on the pitch and a few tears were shed, one may have been mine. Absoulte pleasure having him around the club and everyone at the Ingle Farm Soccer Club wishes him all the best.
Last edited by Jay Walking on Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

B's - Farm V Gardens

Almost the reverse of the A's game. We had the better of the play in the first half but Gardens certainly took the ascendency in the second half and in extra time. Gardens opened the scoring in the first 2 minutes as our defender and keeper were a little hesitant and Pondy poached to knock the ball into the back of the net. After 20 minutes, Farm equalised with a goal mouth scramble poached by the Egg :D Farm were looking dangerous up front with Matthew Ripper running hard and Gus looking sharp on the ball. We also were winning the midfield with Eggers and Simpson creating and running hard.

Second half saw a bit more intent from Gardens and they created some more chances. Their number 10 looked good on the ball but needed to get closer to goal to feed their strikers. The game got quite slow towards the end as the size of the pitch took its toll. Gardens had some chances to win as we did but neither team convertered. Extra time was much the same as the second half with Gardens looking a little better than us but couldn't create the goal. The shoot out was like the first team, luck of the draw. Chris Air with an amazing save to give Eggers the chance to move us into the final.

A great effort from our reserves. Gives us the chance for our third League/Cup double and it will be our 5th cup final from the last 7 years I think. Commiserations to Gardens as they were unlucky. To the young lad who missed his penalty, keep your head up as you played well and the shoot out is just a lottery to work out who should go through.

AND YOU GO

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Jay Walking wrote:B's - Farm V Gardens

....... Chris Air with an amazing save to give Eggers the chance to move us into the final.......
Worth the admission alone :)
Time for some righteous indignation

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

Stitch This wrote:

....... Chris Air with an amazing save to give Eggers the chance to move us into the final.......

I snuck in without paying :wink:

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Was behind the goal snapping a few shots and Keegan French asked after he made a superb save ..."did you get that ?".....so here it is for Keegan..

robinfriday10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by robinfriday10 »

Good work swanny i looked away at that moment talking to LRO .....
things happen for a reason

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Only another goalie could have taken those shots :wink:
Time for some righteous indignation

legga
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by legga »

Stitch This wrote:Only another goalie could have taken those shots :wink:
And on his birthday....... :wink: :wink:
There is no I in team, but there is a u in suck...

DOWNS LAD
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by DOWNS LAD »

Swanny I asked you the same question after a save I mad in the cup game at southern knights!! Still waiting for the picture.
ELIZABETH DOWNS 2012 SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
ELIZABETH DOWNS 2012 CUP WINNERS

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

DOWNS LAD wrote:Swanny I asked you the same question after a save I mad in the cup game at southern knights!! Still waiting for the picture.
Sorry DOWNS LAD, I missed that one.....I was just getting back from retrieving a match ball....only got the after shot !
Hopefully, Stop Or I'll Shoot's camera handled the Semi Final under lights better than mine...might have had some good shots of the saves but for the dim light :(

Fact Hunt
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Fact Hunt »

swannsong wrote:Was behind the goal snapping a few shots and Keegan French asked after he made a superb save ..."did you get that ?".....so here it is for Keegan..
I asked if you got any of the four that went past him......?

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Fact Hunt wrote:
swannsong wrote:Was behind the goal snapping a few shots and Keegan French asked after he made a superb save ..."did you get that ?".....so here it is for Keegan..
I asked if you got any of the four that went past him......?
Still processing etc.. Fact Hunt !
Have to work all day then Council meeting tonight...may take a while.....~2000 photos to go through !

Judge Judy
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by Judge Judy »

Congrats to the Downs, best side all year and now have the chance to do the double.

Two things:

1. Still have no idea how Benny got to that free kick

2. Has my shot landed yet?
Ingle Farm Amateur Soccer Club
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ifasc
Facebook: http://facebook.com/ifasc

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

Judge Judy wrote:Congrats to the Downs, best side all year and now have the chance to do the double.

Two things:

1. Still can't work it out
2. It was last seen heading down Port Rd towards Outer Harbour. Might be on a cruise ship now heading for the South Pacific :wink:

Mr X
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Mr X »

Stitch This wrote:

Saved it twice, great work almost single handedly pulled the team through the Quarters now Semi's !!!!!

gunther
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by gunther »

Judge Judy wrote:Congrats to the Downs, best side all year and now have the chance to do the double.

Two things:

Without heat tiles the ball probably vaporised during re-entry
wandering in a bolton wonderland

ExtraTime
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by ExtraTime »

gunther wrote:

Two things:

i did find a ball in my backyard is that urs ??

Judge Judy
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by Judge Judy »

gunther wrote:

Two things:

Ingle Farm Amateur Soccer Club
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ifasc
Facebook: http://facebook.com/ifasc

Mr X
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Mr X »

bloodypassit wrote:
gunther wrote:

Two things:

i did find a ball in my backyard is that urs ??
Penalty was taken at the other end, but it was quite windy

ExtraTime
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by ExtraTime »

yes it was bloody windy ... lol ...
but it has left a bloody big crater
must have been some kick