Socceroos vs Iraq

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Petro83
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Socceroos vs Iraq

Post by Petro83 »

Lose and i think we wont get that top 2 spot :|

dudley
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Re: Socceroos vs Iraq

Post by dudley »

sweating bricks on this campaign!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dudley
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by dudley »

cmon boys 3 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

it's a tough one for me. I like to see australia and it would have me in hysterics if it happened but it's iraq.

At least we're not at war with the convicts.

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

0-0

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

0-0 HT

Playing better then the Jordan game not that, that is hard.
Still stock standard Socceroos. 60% of possession but bugger all clear cut chances. Too many long balls as per usual and zero creativity.
If we win this it will be because of a lucky defensive shiraz up or and arsey goal. We're certainly riding our luck defensively also. If Iraq can piece together a decent counter attack we're toast.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Phew! What a let off! 2-1 FT

Standard Cahill brilliance! Then finally Holger woke the shiraz up and put some attacking options on Oar with one of the only decent deliervies into the area all game Archie to his credit took it very nicely with a glancing header.
Puts a gloss on a otherwise dismal performance and sadly takes the pressure off Holger.
On a good note, Luca Neill and Carl Valeri both picked up yellows and are suspended for the next match. Nice to see the ref make the tough calls Holger can't!

Team GD Pts
Japan+10 10
Australia 0 5
Oman −2 5
Jordan −6 4
Iraq −2 2

Fact Hunt
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Fact Hunt »

Now Australia have beaten mighty Iraq can we all get back to talking about how Australia can win the World Cup?

dudley
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by dudley »

when my baby smiles at me i go to RIO .....

Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Redmum's Avatar »

Petro83 wrote:Lose and i think we wont get that top 2 spot :|
There's more qualifiers before Australia host Iraq. Worry about that game when it comes.
Yes, they're real !!!

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

Can't believe I stayed up for that rubbish.

That side that Holger put out last night will not qualify for Rio.

The old legs were shown up last night by a very, very poor Iraq....Frustrating game.

3 points is good but is just delaying the inevitable unless the coach shakes the squad up.

Good points though: Tommy oar, Jedinak and Kruse (but crap he goes down easy) playing well.

homer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by homer »

Negative: we're undisciplined and give away silly free kicks, we have many old legs out there, Archie should've started (didn't see brosque all game), Wilkshire thinks he's beckham

Positives: kruse looked dangerous at times, jedinak looked solid and we got 3 points away from home
We spent a lot of time talking about Africa, as we should. Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease
George W. Bush

Blotto
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Blotto »

OK we got the points...

But... can anyone imagine what a side like Brazil, Argentina or Spain would do to us at a major tournament? Hell, I'm positive these nation's u21 sides would give us a bath...

I swear Holger is just hoping to sneak us in to 2014 (just so he can put it on his resume), we'll cop a hiding there and he'll walk and we'll be in even deeper cabernet as a footballing nation as he never groomed enough youngsters in his time at coach...

Then the FFA in their wisdom will probably give the job to Vidmar...

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Used get out of jail card, we were very poor.

How does Lucas Neil keep his spot?

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Fantastic win, agree with all the Doomsayers about the performance but winning was fantastic. I always thought we would struggle to get through but equally believe we will make it

If we qualify I'm on the plane for a fantastic party in Brazil - who knows or cares how we go after that

Asian Cup in 2015 will be a worry though, this team will be well past it then

Yes I'm easily pleased - will take a fighting win away against Iraq any day
Are you Bodo in disguise?

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Archie's rant was pointless....it took til the last 10 mins to come from behind to win. You know you're struggling when you rely on Archie to score a goal to take the points. This team needs a makeover fast

DMT
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by DMT »

Woeful performance, jedinak and Valeri? Terrible midfield combo. Put Mooy, Paartalu any day!!

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

Knight15 wrote:Fantastic win, agree with all the Doomsayers about the performance but winning was fantastic. I always thought we would struggle to get through but equally believe we will make it

If we qualify I'm on the plane for a fantastic party in Brazil - who knows or cares how we go after that

Asian Cup in 2015 will be a worry though, this team will be well past it then

Yes I'm easily pleased - will take a fighting win away against Iraq any day
I just believe we have moved on from a country that is just happy to make it, the game has progressed past that
for mine in Australia.

Numba 7
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Numba 7 »

see what happens when u give the youngsters a chance (tommy oar). put in a cross for the goal that no one else can do

sephiroth
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by sephiroth »

Steve#6 wrote:Can't believe I stayed up for that rubbish.

The old legs were shown up last night by a very, very poor Iraq....Frustrating game.

3 points is good but is just delaying the inevitable unless the coach shakes the squad up.

Good points though: Tommy oar, Jedinak and Kruse (but crap he goes down easy) playing well.
Unfortunately they will qualify for Rio. We play the bottom 3 teams in the group all at home. We should win all 3, meaning we qualify automatically in 2nd spot. The Japan game away becomes academic.

dudley
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by dudley »

well make 2014 and we can play from there, remember there us still 12 months once you qualify till you play a game at the world cup.

5 new players could come in, within that 12 months.

bigger picture, 3 worldcups in a row, nice foundation for moving forward.

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

Dudley lives in dreamland

Rob Lozza
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Rob Lozza »

il principe wrote:

Unfortunately they will qualify for Rio. We play the bottom 3 teams in the group all at home. We should win all 3, meaning we qualify automatically in 2nd spot. The Japan game away becomes academic.
Why would quailification be unfortunate?

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

DMT wrote:Woeful performance, jedinak and Valeri? Terrible midfield combo. Put Mooy, Paartalu any day!!
no, not at all, they aren't even dominating the a league, jedinak looks good, maybe have a look at paartalu in a friendly but not mooy yet
ImageImage

barchetta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by barchetta »

Negative play. Hardly no shots at goal in first half. Ridiculous yellow cards and Neill should've got red. Kruse played well but gee he behaves like a whiny little kid.

Pretty sad when we rely on pensioners to score goals.

sephiroth
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by sephiroth »

Rob Lozza wrote:
il principe wrote:

Because Holger will pick them.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Rob Lozza wrote:
il principe wrote:

It will unfortunate because it will gloss over the fact we have completely ignored youth development at the senior level. We have no succession plan for all our aging stars. If we didn't qualify that would finally raise the questions that should have been asked and answered years ago. We are a rudderness ship but sadly Holder will jump on a lifeboat the second we start to go down.

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

bag archie all you want but he is doing the job

is ryan giggs too old?

archie has a role in the team, he knows he wont be competing for the starting spot but he can be a pinch hitter and change the game, and if he keeps scoring he can play till he is 40, prob stiff he didn't go to 2010 seeing as he has been the class a league player since day 1
ImageImage

Fudpucker
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Fudpucker »

DOC wrote:bag archie all you want but he is doing the job

is ryan giggs too old?

archie has a role in the team, he knows he wont be competing for the starting spot but he can be a pinch hitter and change the game, and if he keeps scoring he can play till he is 40, prob stiff he didn't go to 2010 seeing as he has been the class a league player since day 1
Yes but Ryan Giggs is Ryan Giggs. Over 600 appearances for Man Utd. He can do whatever the hell he wants!

Archie has always been a big fish in a small pond!

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

Fudpucker wrote:
DOC wrote:bag archie all you want but he is doing the job

is ryan giggs too old?

Yes but Ryan Giggs is Ryan Giggs. Over 600 appearances for Man Utd. He can do whatever the hell he wants!

Archie has always been a big fish in a small pond!
has had a great career for limited talent

when did you play professionally in europe?

or save the socceroos countless times?
ImageImage