Michael Owen admits to diving

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Michael Owen admits to diving

Post by Con M »

The British Football Weekly reported that Michael Owen admitted to diving against Argentina to win a penalty in the World Cup game of '98.

He added: "Four years later I got a penalty, again against Argentina, and again I could have stayed on my feet".

Owen said he is against diving but just doesn't get it, says BFW. Going down when you could have stayed on your feet IS diving.

It is not a skill to go to ground when you have barely been touched. It is cheating. Pure and simple.

Owen's current boss, Stoke manager Tony Pulis is another who has called for players to be banned if they are caught diving by post-match video review, but he is yet another who has overlooked IFAB's ruling in this grey area which still stands:

"The Board (IFAB) also discussed a proposal from the Scottish FA regarding the use of video evidence to sanction simulation after the game. Although the suggestion was NOT APPROVED, the IFAB members agreed that simulation is an act of cheating which must be intensively fought and sanctioned DURING the game".

All member Associations and Confederations are bound by this International F.A. Board ruling.

No easy answer to this scourge in the game. Even video review is inconclusive, depending on camera angle, intent, speed of the incident, etc. Media can keep exposing and humiliating transgressors 'til they desist. Managers too, can take aside culprits in their team and impress upon them that diving was a stain on their team and would not be tolerated, says BFW.

BTAC
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: Michael Owen admits to diving

Post by BTAC »

He went on about this on his twitter. Reckons a lot of it is taken out of context. Nothing story really.
haywood djablowme wrote: I believe Arsenal have improved more than the Poo! (we are only 5 pts behind you)

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

"I'd say it's worse now than it was 10 years ago and I would have to say that [it grew] with the foreign influence of players coming from South America, Spain and Italy," said Owen.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Owen should know, he has spent enough time watching all the foreigners whilst he has been in the stand or on the bench,

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

It is a horrible blight on our game but completely acceptable and should be encouraged if an Englishman does it to win a penalty against the Argies.

PASC
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PASC »

God is an Englishman wrote:
"I'd say it's worse now than it was 10 years ago and I would have to say that [it grew] with the foreign influence of players coming from South America, Spain and Italy," said Owen.

never seen anyone worse then these two... brasil and italy... especially bad, almost laughable...
should be banned for life... i fking hate diving lol
God is an Englishman wrote: As for me being a tosser on this forum, it's not just on the forum. I'm a tosser in real life as well.

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

PASC wrote:

never seen anyone worse then these two... brasil and italy... especially bad, almost laughable...

suarez is from?

the point is, it happens EVRYWHERE not just brasil and Italy u twat!

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

DAM wrote:
PASC wrote:

suarez is from?

the point is, it happens EVRYWHERE not just brasil and Italy u twat!
Salto, Uruguay. Same small town as Cavani…
Not bad strike rate for a city of around 100,000.

Your obsession is perverse to say the least.

PASC
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PASC »

suarez is from?

the point is, it happens EVRYWHERE not just brasil and Italy u twat![/quote]

calm the fk down lol
i know it happens everywhere, i just said they are the worst ive seen
why with the twat straight away???
God is an Englishman wrote: As for me being a tosser on this forum, it's not just on the forum. I'm a tosser in real life as well.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

If it's one of your team's players it's amazing how you can overlook it and claim that "everyone does it".

Jeronimo didn't dive last night - he just fell when he realised he wasn't going to get a free kick for being pulled back. :wink:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Doobie
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Doobie »

In Owens defence. Diving and 'going down when you could have stayed on your feet' is completely different. Diving to me constitutes deliberately playing for or simulating contact in the box in order to win a penalty. More often than not, attackers have the intention of evading; getting past, through or round a defender, to score from open play.

However, if an attacker gets a slight knock while running full pelt to goal, that causes them to lose balance or stumble and therefore decreases their chance of a scoring a goal- how is it cheating to go down when there is contact? It is more likely that, if an attacker plays on and attempts at goal- and they miss- they would have wished they went down in the first place. This is why 'soft' penalties are given. i have no problems with attackers going down when there is contact- in fact if i was a coach i would encourage it. Remember, Any foul inside the box that would have been a foul outside the box SHOULD be a penalty.

On the other hand. Trailing legs, theatrical stumbles and flailing arms is not on, while falling over when there is no contact should, rightly so, be a Yellow. It's a thin line which makes the referees job difficult. But if this ethos is adopted it makes viewing penalty decisions much easier in my opinion.
Write a signature here

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

If the contact isn't enough to knock you over then it's a dive in my mind.

However, having watched the game he's talking about. To me Owen allows himself to be fouled and there's no crime in that. He makes no effort to stay upright but the contact is enough to knock him over.

Jeronimo's at the weekend was a dive and the FFA have let themselves and the whole game down by not punishing it.

Doobie
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Doobie »

God is an Englishman wrote:If the contact isn't enough to knock you over then it's a dive in my mind.

However, having watched the game he's talking about. To me Owen allows himself to be fouled and there's no crime in that. He makes no effort to stay upright but the contact is enough to knock him over.

Jeronimo's at the weekend was a dive and the FFA have let themselves and the whole game down by not punishing it.
What if there is contact, and it takes all your balance to stay upright, by which time defenders have shut you down or the goalkeeper has advanced to reduce the chance of the striker scoring? My point is in these instances, a judgement is made whether to go down or not.
Write a signature here

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Doobie wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:If the contact isn't enough to knock you over then it's a dive in my mind.

What if there is contact, and it takes all your balance to stay upright, by which time defenders have shut you down or the goalkeeper has advanced to reduce the chance of the striker scoring? My point is in these instances, a judgement is made whether to go down or not.
Then it shouldn't matter whether you go down, it's still a penalty.

If you have to "make a judgement" on whether to go down then you've dived, you are a cheat and you're a disgrace to the game.

Doobie
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Doobie »

Doobie wrote:

Then it shouldn't matter whether you go down, it's still a penalty.

If you have to "make a judgement" on whether to go down then you've dived, you are a cheat and you're a disgrace to the game.
Interesting. Completely disagree.
Write a signature here

Le King
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Le King »

So torres dove then?

BTAC
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BTAC »

Le King wrote:

So torres and Ashley Young dove then?
haywood djablowme wrote: I believe Arsenal have improved more than the Poo! (we are only 5 pts behind you)

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

I see it this way - if you have to make the decision whether to go down or not then it has to be a dive. The issue however is I've had many refs say "you should have gone down you'd have got the penalty".

BTAC
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BTAC »

God is an Englishman wrote:I see it this way - if you have to make the decision whether to go down or not then it has to be a dive. The issue however is I've had many refs say "you should have gone down you'd have got the penalty".
Completely agree with this.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Simulation is not diving, and there is too much simulation these days. That is what needs to be cut out.

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

God is an Englishman wrote:I see it this way - if you have to make the decision whether to go down or not then it has to be a dive. The issue however is I've had many refs say "you should have gone down you'd have got the penalty".
You must be a genius if you can make a decision in that 1000th of a second between contact and the decision then.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

El Pibe D'Oro wrote:
You must be a genius if you can make a decision in that 1000th of a second between contact and the decision then.
It's pretty simple. I don't make the decision, I don't dive. No decision to make if you're not a cheat.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

El Pibe D'Oro wrote:
It's pretty simple. I don't make the decision, I don't dive. No decision to make if you're not a cheat.

And Jeronimo didn't have time to make the decision either.

He was pulled back quite forcibly by the Wellington player and lost his balance - look at it in slowmo and you'll see the pull back on his right arm that broke his rhythm and down he went - RED CARD!
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:And Jeronimo didn't have time to make the decision either.

He was pulled back quite forcibly by the Wellington player and lost his balance - look at it in slowmo and you'll see the pull back on his right arm that broke his rhythm and down he went - RED CARD!
TOTAL RUBBISH! Sorry have to disagree completely.

Just watched it again and he dives - 100% he dives.

Also Cassio dives early on as well.

Looking at the highlights, interesting to see how many dodgy decision went in adelaide's favour in this game.

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

Looking at the highlights, interesting to see how many dodgy decision went in adelaide's favour in this game.

waiting for a bigger fish...?
:lol:

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

I agree.
It’s a dive. Clear dive.
Don’t let anyone fool you, professional footballers have very good strength and balance on the ball, like tree trunks when they want to be. All this breaking stride stuff is nonsense. There was a slight tug, but the reality is if he didn’t go down the tug would have gone unpunished.

The paradox is how to punish the fouling player without the fouled player having to fall theatrically to the ground to be noticed.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

DAM wrote:

waiting for a bigger fish...?
:lol:

Anything's bigger than you

BUT

Offside goal given
Red card given and dive not punished
Cassio's dive not punished
The on first viewing and without being level - wellington's goal didn't look offside.

And that's just what I saw from highlights!!

Or are you saying it isn't a dive :lol: In which case take your juventus glasses off!

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

The Kop wrote:I agree.
It’s a dive. Clear dive.
Don’t let anyone fool you, professional footballers have very good strength and balance on the ball, like tree trunks when they want to be. All this breaking stride stuff is nonsense. There was a slight tug, but the reality is if he didn’t go down the tug would have gone unpunished.

The paradox is how to punish the fouling player without the fouled player having to fall theatrically to the ground to be noticed.

whats ur opinion re Suarez and his so called "dives"?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

It’s a dive. Clear dive.

The last part is similar to what I said earlier. Refs should allow the game to flow but if they don't get the advantage then pull it back. How much advantage is the next question, in this situation I think the keeper would have got the ball either way. So certainly not a red card.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

DAM wrote:
It’s a dive. Clear dive.

whats ur opinion re Suarez and his so called "dives"?

what's yours on nani, ronaldo, young, cassio, geronimo, the naples team?