phoenix cup 2012 soccer tournament for the disabled

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

clownboy
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

phoenix cup 2012 soccer tournament for the disabled

Post by clownboy »

On November the 8th 2014 From 10am Modbury Jets amateur soccer club corner of ladywood & Milne Rds Modbury Nth are hosting an annual 7-a-side football (soccer) tournament for people with disabilities.

The Phoenix Cup is a dedicated 7 a side tournament that provides people with disabilities the opportunity to participate in the world’s most played game, football (soccer). Over the past 5 years the tournament has grown in numbers of adult participants to 90 registered players. For the second year running we congratulate the SASRAPID All Stars on another magnificent victory, defeating the Taipans in an exciting final in last year’s tournament.
On behalf of both the Modbury Jets Amateur Football Club and the Phoenix Cup Organising Committee, we would like to announce the details relating to the tournament this year. The tournament will again expand the number of adult teams invited to play.
For the first time, we are also offering the opportunity for children (male and females) with disabilities between the ages of 8-13 to participate in the Phoenix Cup junior tournament. The Phoenix Cup junior tournament will consist of 4-6 teams of children with disabilities that will compete in a small league and knockout format. The aim of the junior tournament is to provide opportunities to children with disabilities to participate in football (soccer).
As with previous years, all participants will be provided with strips/uniforms that are fully funded for by the sponsors of the tournament. The Phoenix Cup tournament has a carnival atmosphere that involves local businesses sponsoring the tournament, support from local community members and for the last 3 years the winner’s trophy has been presented by the Mayor of the Tea Tree Gully Council. All participants on the day are cheered on by the many family, friends and local supporters and at the end of the day are awarded with participation packs and medals. On the day BBQ, drinks & beverages are available for fund raising as well as fun activities for all including clown, balloons, facepainter, airbrush tattoos and of course soccer goals and balls to have a kick around.
We hope to see the soccer community here on this day in support of this wonderful event
I have attached some links and information on past tournaments to allow you to get a feel about what the tournament is about.
Highlights of 2011's tournament - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UW7c9ypQBc
Last edited by clownboy on Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paleon Patros Germanos
Star Player
Star Player

Re: phoenix cup 2012 soccer tournament for the disabled

Post by Paleon Patros Germanos »

Well done to the Modbury Jets Amateur Football Club.
Agia Lavra 1821!

50cent
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by 50cent »

Brilliant. Well done to everyone involved. Hope the weather is kind and it a fantastic day.

clownboy
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by clownboy »

we would appreciate every 1 coming and showing their support 4 a fantastic cause, very heart warming & fun day 4 all b there or b square

Gabon
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Gabon »

clownboy wrote:On November the 3rd 2012 From 10am Modbury Jets amateur soccer club corner of ladywood & Milne Rds Modbury Nth are hosting an annual 7-a-side football (soccer) tournament for people with disabilities.

The Phoenix Cup is a dedicated 7 a side tournament that provides people with disabilities the opportunity to participate in the world’s most played game, football (soccer). Over the past 3 years the tournament has grown in numbers of adult participants to 90 registered players. For the second year running we congratulate the SASRAPID All Stars on another magnificent victory, defeating the Taipans in an exciting final in last year’s tournament.
On behalf of both the Modbury Jets Amateur Football Club and the Phoenix Cup Organising Committee, we would like to announce the details relating to the tournament this year. The tournament will again expand the number of adult teams invited to play.
For the first time, we are also offering the opportunity for children (male and females) with disabilities between the ages of 8-13 to participate in the Phoenix Cup junior tournament. The Phoenix Cup junior tournament will consist of 4-6 teams of children with disabilities that will compete in a small league and knockout format. The aim of the junior tournament is to provide opportunities to children with disabilities to participate in football (soccer). As with previous years, all participants will be provided with strips/uniforms that are fully funded for by the sponsors of the tournament. The Phoenix Cup tournament has a carnival atmosphere that involves local businesses sponsoring the tournament, support from local community members and for the last 3 years the winner’s trophy has been presented by the Mayor of the Tea Tree Gully Council. All participants on the day are cheered on by the many family, friends and local supporters and at the end of the day are awarded with participation packs and medals. On the day BBQ, drinks & beverages are available for fund raising as well as fun activities for all including clown, balloons, facepainter, airbrush tattoos and of course soccer goals and balls to have a kick around.
We hope to see the soccer community here on this day in support of this wonderful event
I have attached some links and information on past tournaments to allow you to get a feel about what the tournament is about.
Highlights of 2011's tournament - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UW7c9ypQBc
Looking for more players for the junior tournament so if you know of anyone who would be keen to participate please call me on 0431 400 085 or e-mail me at rmogg@peopleschoicecu.com.au , Thank you Ryan

Clever Trevor
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Clever Trevor »

Do you need operable legs?

Gabon
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Gabon »

Clever Trevor wrote:Do you need operable legs?
Frames are OK but wheelchairs are not unfortunately due to the risks.

Gabon
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Gabon »

2011 Highlights - http://youtu.be/_gwAIAb4CkQ

please view the link and consider coming out for an afternoon of football where you will just see people enjoying the game.

mushrow
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by mushrow »

The playing surface at Ladywood is in fantastic condition, nice and flat. Should be another great day.
Dixie Dean was hailed by another Mersey legend, Liverpool’s Bill Shankly, as “belonging in the company of the supremely great, like Beethoven, Rembrandt and Shakespeare.”

60 goals, never to be equalled.

Cantona.7
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Cantona.7 »

Well done to Modbury for putting this event on.
Managed to see the first half of the day.
Thats what Football is about.... Seeing the massive smiles on some of the guys faces was brilliant.
Some great goals out there today too.

Gabon
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Gabon »

Thank you to all that helped :D (including cantona7 who refereed & provided raffle prizes)

Without bias, I'd ask anyone in football to attend a day like today in the future as if you dont walk away with either a greater appreciation of what doing something for others less fortunate than you can bring and also what the game gives to both them and yourself I'd be very surprised.

Going for the 5th year next year and hope some of the senior orginisatons of football in this state and those orginisations that participate can see that the success of today is just scratching the surface.

The next progression is for them to get involved and support it further by creating a competition as everyone deserves the opportunity to participate more than once a year.

clownboy
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by clownboy »

fantastic day at the Phoenix cup with great community support, the junior 6 aside competition was fantastic with some very happy children out there doing their best playing the great game of soccer. The clown had some awesome fun & will be back next year bigger & better.Congratulations to chairman Ryan Mogg and the volunteers from the Modbury Jets soccer club absolutely brilliant.

Jack Mehorf
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Jack Mehorf »

Great work fellas!!!!!! you guys should be commended for your efforts :!:

mushrow
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by mushrow »

Cantona.7 wrote:Well done to Modbury for putting this event on.
Managed to see the first half of the day.
Thats what Football is about.... Seeing the massive smiles on some of the guys faces was brilliant.
Some great goals out there today too.
Thanks again Cantona.7 for refereeing and all your behind the scene support.

On behalf of the MJAFC
Keith
Dixie Dean was hailed by another Mersey legend, Liverpool’s Bill Shankly, as “belonging in the company of the supremely great, like Beethoven, Rembrandt and Shakespeare.”

60 goals, never to be equalled.

BlackBrian_7
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BlackBrian_7 »

Dumb question time, was anyone from the media there?

I appreciate that you guys don't run this for the publicity but good work like this requires highlighting.

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

We supply our own paparazzi so we can control the propaganda. :P :lol:
Good question tho Brian and given the rapid growth and success of the tournament, maybe next year the local news teams of 7, 9 & 10 should be given an invitation along with photos of previous tournaments and endorsements from the "well to do" that are involved. That's if they already weren't.
Such a great day for those involved and surprisingly rewarding for the club and those of us that help put it on.
Looking around the place on Saturday, I was so proud of my club for having the initiative to organise such a well run and supported day.

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

Well done to Jets and Moggy on another succesful event. I wanted to come down and watch as my girlfriends brother was playing. He loved it as did all the participants.

Cruie
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Cruie »

Well done all those who helped put this on. Great effort, good cause :)

(We do an almost annual Kids-Carnival, able-bodied, up in the Hills ... C7 and/or C10 are good and usually send a small crew up to do interviews/footage with the kids/parents ... Worth getting in touch with them next time if this is an annual event)

Again, top work :)

BlackBrian_7
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BlackBrian_7 »

Blueblood wrote:We supply our own paparazzi so we can control the propaganda. :P :lol:
Good question tho Brian and given the rapid growth and success of the tournament, maybe next year the local news teams of 7, 9 & 10 should be given an invitation along with photos of previous tournaments and endorsements from the "well to do" that are involved. That's if they already weren't.
Such a great day for those involved and surprisingly rewarding for the club and those of us that help put it on.
Looking around the place on Saturday, I was so proud of my club for having the initiative to organise such a well run and supported day.
I think with all the negative press that our code receives it would be good to promote the very positive activities that those within carry out.

Such a simple thing (though obviously a lot of hard work goes into organising it) that would be a massive highlight for those involved.

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89654840@N02/8155983766/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89654840@N02/8155950413/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89654840@N02/8155978798/

been trying to upload the photos as opposed to just the links coz I know lazy sherry won't click on them, but all I get is a red cross and image written next to it. :(

Great panoramic shots of the day showing how the event has grown to now include more teams, more inflatable pitches, more support and most importantly, more fun. :D

Cruie
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Cruie »

Blueblood wrote:http://www.flickr.com/photos/89654840@N02/8155983766/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89654840@N02/8155950413/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89654840@N02/8155978798/

been trying to upload the photos as opposed to just the links coz I know lazy sherry won't click on them, but all I get is a red cross and image written next to it. :(

Great panoramic shots of the day showing how the event has grown to now include more teams, more inflatable pitches, more support and most importantly, more fun. :D
(Just to prove I clicked the links ;))

Did you hire the inflatable pitches? From a local company, if you did? (Which business, if you did?) Are they 25mx15m or larger?

We looked at getting something similiar (for the Hills Kids Carnival) but they were silly expensive, and I couldn't find anywhere local that hired them out ...

Info appreciated if you got any :)

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

Thanks for looking! :lol:
2 are hired, (the larger red and yellow one is owned by the club). I think the company is called football focus, Gabon please correct me if I am wrong.
Not sure of the exact dimensions, Gabon or mushrow may be able to help out there.
But they are available locally to hire, the above two Jets probably the best to ask about fine details. (Maybe pm them for all the info you need.)

Facts and Stats
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Facts and Stats »

Those links wont let me access the photos? I am after some pics from all years, do they exist?

Cheers

Facts and Stats
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Facts and Stats »

I have found a picture I want off the Youtube compilation, hopefully I can get the original one soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gwAIAb4CkQ

Its on again in 2 weeks, I am pleased to again be a sponsor. A great day of football.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

19th October 2013 is the date for this years event, another great day is planned.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

God is an Englishman wrote:19th October 2013 is the date for this years event, another great day is planned.

that's tomorrow. Come along, bring the family.