Zenit Supporters... Wow

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

PDog
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Zenit Supporters... Wow

Post by PDog »

FANS of two-time defending Russian champions Zenit St Petersburg are calling for non-white players to be excluded from the team.
Landscrona, the largest Zenit supporters club, released a manifesto demanding the club field an all-white, heterosexual team.

It added that "dark-skinned players are all but forced down Zenit's throat now, which only brings out a negative reaction" and said gay players were "unworthy of our great city."

The club, which is owned by state-controlled natural gas giant Gazprom, told the R-Sport news agency it supported tolerance and picked players on athletic ability alone, insisting that "the team's policy is aimed at development and integration into the world soccer community, and holds no archaic views."

Zenit were the only top-flight Russian team never to have signed a black player until this year, when they acquired Brazilian striker Hulk and Belgian midfielder Axel Witsel for 80 million euros ($100 million).

French midfielder Yann M'Vila declined a move to the club in August after receiving death threats.

Fans insisted that "we are not racists and for us the absence of black Zenit players is just an important tradition that underlines the team's identity and nothing more."

It added the club "was never mentally linked with Africa, nor with South America or Australia or Oceania".
How's that for living in the past? Racist and homophobic...

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: Zenit Supporters... Wow

Post by God is an Englishman »

I think they should have worded it better to get away from the racist element.

Shoulod have just said we only want locals in the side. I don't know of too many black russians (nice drink though).

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

And Val posts four articles in two days about how racist AU fans are! God Austalia needs to get some perspective!

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

If police really want to catch the 'AU supporter' that racially abused Ifil on the week end just wait until the next home game and arrest the bloke wearing the Zenit kit!

I just checked out the Zenit club shop, their beanies look awefully like pillow cases, oh and nice joke re Black Russians GIAE.

PDog
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PDog »

God is an Englishman wrote:I think they should have worded it better to get away from the racist element.

Shoulod have just said we only want locals in the side. I don't know of too many black russians (nice drink though).
Yeah, that may be the case and they just want to 're-claim' their club and have local players only, but when it's worded how it was - it's blatantly racist and homophobic.

Geez - i'd be gutted if my club landed Hulk and Witsel... :roll:

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

Chance they might resign arshavin back off us to replace the dark skinned players.. hopefully get him off our books!
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

Jimbob
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Jimbob »

haywood djablowme wrote:Chance they might resign arshavin back off us to replace the dark skinned players.. hopefully get him off our books!
They've already said they don't want any gay players

PDog
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PDog »

Jimbob wrote:
haywood djablowme wrote:Chance they might resign arshavin back off us to replace the dark skinned players.. hopefully get him off our books!
They've already said they don't want any gay players
:lol: :lol:

he's been terrible for a long time now - anyone who gives Arsenal anything more than a pack of chips for him needs to take a good, long look at themselves.

but he's not black, so they probably will cough up a few million
Last edited by PDog on Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

oh and PDog - I see you're enjoying the guardian's email :D

PDog
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PDog »

God is an Englishman wrote:oh and PDog - I see you're enjoying the guardian's email :D
Yeah definitely - some good reading there!

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

God is an Englishman wrote:I think they should have worded it better to get away from the racist element.

Peter Odemwingie (sp?)
It's all in the Delivery!

PDog
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PDog »

Brian the Postman wrote:

Peter Odemwingie (sp?)
True - Nigerian parents i think, and played for their national team at some stage.

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... terosexual
Zenit St Petersburg reject fans group's demand for white heterosexual team
• Zenit reject 'any limitation regarding religion or skin colour'
• Coach speaks of 'need to respect other cultures and traditions'

After a fans' group wrote an open letter to the club demanding that they refrain from buying black and gay players, the Zenit St Petersburg head coach, Luciano Spalletti, today preached a message of tolerance and acceptance while alluding to the demand as "stupidity".

Landscrona, the largest Zenit supporters' club, had released a manifesto on Monday demanding the club field an all-white, heterosexual team. It added that "dark-skinned players are all but forced down Zenit's throat now, which only brings out a negative reaction" and said gay players were "unworthy of our great city".

But Zenit's director of sports, Dietmar Beiersdorfer, insisted that "we make our player selections without any limitation regarding origin, religion or skin colour". "Our club's goal is to win the Russian championship and to be highly competitive in international competitions as well," he said. "We have absolutely no policy in Zenit of limiting our player selection in any superficial way."

Zenit was the only top-flight Russian team without a black player until this summer, when they signed the Brazilian striker Hulk and Belgian midfielder Axel Witsel for a combined €80m (£65m). The French midfielder Yann M'Vila declined a move to the club in August after receiving death threats.

Asked for a personal definition of the world "tolerance", Spalletti answered: "Tolerance for me is most of all the ability to understand and accept differences. Furthermore, being tolerant means that you fight against any kind of stupidity." He also promised that the club would support local initiatives to combat xenophobia and racism.

"The club will support such initiatives and use every opportunity to contribute to this work," Spalletti said. "I can personally assure you that I will do everything I can to help those who seek to explain to people what tolerance is, and the need to respect other cultures and traditions. I think that Zenit has proven through its work that the club understands what tolerance is, and what it means to have tolerant behaviour. The team has gathered players from different countries and ethnic groups who work together to achieve a common goal, and work well. Their combined efforts bring tangible results. We've all worked together to achieve important results."

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Zenit should be banned from European competition - if they were British they would be banned for ten years!

UEFA anti-British - No never? :?
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

Old Master wrote:Zenit should be banned from European competition
Why?

Derek
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Derek »

pernunz wrote:
Why?
Because what has been said is totally disgraceful and they should be banned!!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Ian_Wright wrote:
pernunz wrote:
Why?
surely you can't ban a team because it's supporters issued a statement that's racist.

Dr. Phil
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Dr. Phil »

Ian_Wright wrote:
pernunz wrote:
Why?
Huh?
The club has done nothing wrong.
the Zenit St Petersburg head coach, Luciano Spalletti, today preached a message of tolerance and acceptance while alluding to the demand as "stupidity".
"Don't make me put your head in my blender."

Derek
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Derek »

Well as Old Master said, if that was an English club UEFA would do everything in their power to ban them in some way. I understand its not the club themselves but they still need to hold some accountability in my opinion.

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

Ian_Wright wrote:if that was an English club UEFA would do everything in their power to ban them in some way. I understand its not the club themselves but they still need to hold some accountability in my opinion.
This is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've read.

Derek
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Derek »

Please elaborate....

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Ian_Wright wrote:Well as Old Master said, if that was an English club UEFA would do everything in their power to ban them in some way. I understand its not the club themselves but they still need to hold some accountability in my opinion.
Whilst I agree with the first part. I can't see how a club can be responsible for something said outside of the stadium.

Are they responsible if that person commits a murder? Or if they punch someone?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

pernunz wrote:
Ian_Wright wrote:if that was an English club UEFA would do everything in their power to ban them in some way. I understand its not the club themselves but they still need to hold some accountability in my opinion.
This is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've read.

Scroll up on this page and near the top on the right there's "VIEW YOUR POSTS" - you'll see plenty worse if you scroll through those.

Derek
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Derek »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Ian_Wright wrote:Well as Old Master said, if that was an English club UEFA would do everything in their power to ban them in some way. I understand its not the club themselves but they still need to hold some accountability in my opinion.
Whilst I agree with the first part. I can't see how a club can be responsible for something said outside of the stadium.Are they responsible if that person commits a murder? Or if they punch someone?

I agree with that, but how far are these fans going to take it? If this starts to become a big issue inside the stadium (Players being singled out and abused, not only by one fan but by thousands) then the club and other governing bodies would have to step in.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Ian_Wright wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:
Whilst I agree with the first part. I can't see how a club can be responsible for something said outside of the stadium.Are they responsible if that person commits a murder? Or if they punch someone?

I agree with that, but how far are these fans going to take it? If this starts to become a big issue inside the stadium (Players being singled out and abused, not only by one fan but by thousands) then the club and other governing bodies would have to step in.

yes, then they would but only then.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

So if you post a load of crap on this forum, which to be fair would not be unusual, Arsenal should be held responsible because you're a fan? :wink:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Derek
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Derek »

:clown:

Litmanen
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Litmanen »