SSG - GALA DAYS 5/5

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

ikon
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

SSG - GALA DAYS 5/5

Post by ikon »

does anyone know where this weeks Gala days are being held?

Abra1
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: SSG - GALA DAYS 5/5

Post by Abra1 »

They are currently being finalised.

Trunks
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Trunks »

It would have to be said that the Gala Day yesterday at the Western Strikers ground was an absolute debacle!
No one knew where they were playing or what ground they were playing on! No signage, just a total shambles.

Who’s responsible for running these types of day’s the club or the FFSA?

At half time of my nephew's game went had a quick look at Western Strikers V Plympton Bulldogs U11’s game.

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. The Western strikers coach made an absolute meal of himself in front of about 30 people. He was having ago at the Plympton Bulldogs Assistant coach for sending out two of his players to defend a short corner. He actually stopped the game for 5 mins while he tried to explain some ridiculous reason why a coach shouldn’t tell his players to do that. :oops: :oops:

That strikers coach needs to have his head read!

FK Partizan
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by FK Partizan »

Hahahah ...... not good enough to coach your own team but need to coach the opposition also ?? It would be funny if you didn't consider a further 22 people (players) having to listen to someone like this. How embarrassing ! Maybe just a bad day I hope ?
"At last England have appointed a manager who speaks English better than the players" - On the appointment of Sven-Goran Eriksson.

ikon
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ikon »

the gala day i went to was pretty poorly organised as well.

i had 2 games ..1st game opposition coach asks me if we want to play 2 x 10m halves...instead of 1 x 20min game...no problem.- great game

2nd game we play a 20min game and then game is finished...i enquire about playing on seeing as no other teams were scheduled to play after us...coach said he had strict instructions to only play 1x 20min half...it took longer to take down the nets than to play another 15-20mins..

same club involved- 2 different coaches with different agendas.

saw some clubs only play 1 x20min game- due to clashes in fixtures- what a waste for them...i offered to play them after my games..but meant waiting an hour to play.

seemed un-organised from the start- hence why i posted the original post...we didn't even know where it was going to be held until wednesday .

ive heard in general all gala days were poorly organised...anyone go to 1 that was well run?

have no idea who is to blame- clubs or ffsa but definately needs to be looked up...it could be such a great day if organised properly.

Greek easter would have played a part , with some clubs pulling teams at the last minute which doesn't help but surely coaches should look to modify games on the day.

i had a game recently where we played at 12noon and the opposition coach asked me to play a 3rd period seeing the teams were so evenly matched and there wasn't a game after us.- had no hestitation- parents loved the fact their kids had more game time.

Domo Vina
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Domo Vina »

It was a bit of a shambles. We ended up playing 2 games of 1 20min half as well, were told we were playing on 1pitch then realised we weren't when the nets were taken down. Started our game 30mins late. I know its not that easy,
but a bit more direction is needed.
Thought Comets did it quite well earlier this season

Trunks
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Trunks »

Domo Vina wrote:It was a bit of a shambles. We ended up playing 2 games of 1 20min half as well, were told we were playing on 1pitch then realised we weren't when the nets were taken down. Started our game 30mins late. I know its not that easy,
but a bit more direction is needed.
Thought Comets did it quite well earlier this season
Yeah mate i would have to agree! the comets pre-season one was very well organised.

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

Makes it hard also when changes are forced upon you. We had 1 Under 10 side pull out on the Thursday which gave us notice but
then when another one just doesn't show (no notice) games have to be juggled. Luckily it all worked out well in the end.

Thanks you to Modbury Under 10's for agreeing to a 3rd game so our boys got to play their second.

ThundaChucka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ThundaChucka »

SUFC U10 only played 2 x 10min halves against Gawler @ Gawler. The 2nd game was canned as the other team was a no show. Now im not having a go at the other team because i dont know the reason for them not being there.
Id like to thank the Gawler co-ordinator for trying to set up a second game for us, unfortunalty no else wanted to play a third game.
Also can someone explain to me the purpose of playing Gala days, seems pointless why not just play another round as we play both team in our regular league anyways. Why not have Gala days against other teams not in our league. May mean we have to travel further but at least the kids are playing.

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

ThundaChucka wrote: Why not have Gala days against other teams not in our league. May mean we have to travel further but at least the kids are playing.
Here, here ...... and play equal to or more then a normal Sunday game, and not less !!
Spot Željko Jurin Jnr ......

coutinho10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by coutinho10 »

Just some things to consider and not making any excuses for the above but some coaches have other older kids at other grounds and want to get the hell out of there to watch them because some parents just bolt and don't help pack up and they just got to watch their kids so forgive them if they don't want to play more than 20 mins.

Some coaches play to win and are down and then want to play extra time for the satisfaction that they may draw or win in their own little mind when we are not playing for points.

FFSA make the rules and it clearly stated in the PDF 1 x 20 min half no breaks other than between games. (Or did most just ignore, quite like the rules of the SSG - half the coaches don't have a clue and think they do.) Even states teams must be even and 7v7 6v6 etc. yet when a team is down due to sickness or injury the play to win coaches don't want to accommodate and want to go on with 7 v 6.

So question for all where the kids disgusted with the organisation and set-ups. NO
Did anyone ask if they enjoyed their day. NO

I'm sure the kids had a great day across SA and the first to complain are parents and coaches when not at their home ground (glass houses come to mind.)
LIVERPOOL FC *****

ikon
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ikon »

who do people think should organise gala days..?

ffsa or clubs.

obviously ffsa needs to approve it.

seems to me only a handful of clubs are capable of holding these days. the potential is endless if done properly.Just needs time..its not easy to organise hundreds of kids and parents..i take my hat off to the junior delegates from each club.

im sure its been spoken about previously this is just my 1st year in junior coaching so passing on my observations of ssg's structure.

the coaching accreditations are great and good to see so many coaches implementing the philosphy ..im really enjoying them also meeting like minded coaches to bounce ideas and training activities off.